closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Free view tv box recommendations

Free view tv box recommendations

Hi my mum wants a free view set top box for her birthday next week. She’s in her 70;s so something easy to use
    Must be able to record her fave programs. Any ideas ?
    Cheers Andy

Master
    Humax every time.

Humax fvp 5000 or buy the previous model the 4000 for a 1/3 of the price, then it updates the firmware to the 5000 (there is an auto update function).

Not many options for a stand alone machine these days, so even Humax is not the best, the OS is laggy. Still easy to use but for an older person having to press the buttons a few times on occasion can be irritating.

The best OS goes to sky, if that is an option I would go that route, they do a freeview option but I believe charge for the recording function, so you would have to pay a monthly fee so she could record, maybe a cheap sky package for phone etc would be a better option?
    Last edited by jegger; 24th February 2019 at 03:38.

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    Humax fvp 5000 or buy the previous model the 4000 for a 1/3 of the price, then it updates the firmware to the 5000 (there is an auto update function).

Not many options for a stand alone machine these days, so even Humax is not the best, the OS is laggy. Still easy to use but for an older person having to press the buttons a few times on occasion can be irritating.

The best OS goes to sky, if that is an option I would go that route, they do a freeview option but I believe charge for the recording function, so you would have to pay a monthly fee so she could record, maybe a cheap sky package for phone etc would be a better option?
    Good idea about the sky She would only want the basic package I suppose I’ll look for a deal

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    We have had a humax for years, very good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Good idea about the sky She would only want the basic package I suppose I’ll look for a deal
    If you can’t find a good Sky deal the Humax is a good option, this is the one I have, as said it will update to the firmware of the newer model so a very good deal and only for £130

https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurb...0gb-mocha.html

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    If you can’t find a good Sky deal the Humax is a good option, this is the one I have, as said it will update to the firmware of the newer model so a very good deal and only for £130

https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurb...0gb-mocha.html
    Thanks. Does it have to plug into router ? Because my mums router is in a diff room to the tele?

Thanks. Does it have to plug into router ? Because my mums router is in a diff room to the tele?
    Just get a couple of WiFi extenders / adapters, one plugs into the socket at the router and the other plugs in to the socket near the TV.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Either, works wireless or with an Ethernet cable.

Master
    I also have a Humax (or actually now on the 2nd one as we recently upgraded from Freeview to Freeview + and the original one was getting on a bit).

Highly recommend them

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    I also have a Humax (or actually now on the 2nd one as we recently upgraded from Freeview to Freeview + and the original one was getting on a bit).

Highly recommend them
    I've not seen the Humax interface but the Sky one is faultless and easy to navigate. I still have a Sky 2TB HD box, 2013 (that's the oldest programme I have stored on it), and now and again, after an update, it does need to be turned off at the mains and on again after 20 seconds. It can take several minutes for it to find its wifi signal again, but always does.

Humax

Buy a humax box Andy
    Lots about on eBay etc
    Easy for her to use too
    Works out a LOT cheaper than sky in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Buy a humax box Andy
    Lots about on eBay etc
    Easy for her to use too
    Works out a LOT cheaper than sky in the long run
    Just been curry’s and got the humux 500