closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster dilema...........real world problems

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Speedmaster dilema...........real world problems

Having owned a dozen speedmasters or more over the years from Ed Whites to to the latest modern incarnation which I currently own.

I recently picked up this little beauty as the dial was to die for and has just been serviced too.

My dilema being that I don’t need 2 speedmasters, I bought the modern big box version as my only new watch for piece of mind ownership as the rest of my stuff is vintage and cost me money now and again.

im sure I will still sleep well tonight 

Keep the latest pick up - sell the modern

Sell both and get real watch

Master
    Keep the modern one, wear it everywhere and make it "yours".

Move the old one on.

I love that the current Speedy is beginning to be known as the Big Box

Offload the 10 a penny new one. They are not Speedmaster's in their soul you can't buy that patina. It needs a 1171/633 though.

As for the new ones, who needs a shoebox full of guff anyway, it's a watch!

Problem solved.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    Offload the 10 a penny new one. They are not Speedmaster's in their soul you can't buy that patina. It needs a 1171/633 though.

As for the new ones, who needs a shoebox full of guff anyway, it's a watch!

Problem solved.
    Oddly enough it was the packaging that swung it for me, I’m a sucker for presentation. Makes the whole new watch experience at little more interesting.

That's what these companies want & why they spend millions on marketing.

I understand people like that kind of thing but would a Newman Daytona or Ed White be any better because of a box?

I admit to being a vintage speedy bore but you have to look at well, post T dial's as 're makes' of sorts maybe?

All the Special Editions just leave me cold. I set my target as stepped dials, even later 70s ones start to move away from the era we all associate with speedy.

Your choice & a nice one to wrestle with.

Master
    “I don’t need 2 Speedmasters”... lol

Since when has “I don’t need 2 ... watches” been an acceptable excuse in this forum?!

I love the vintage dial, but I’m curious to know how original the rest of the watch is (not being an expert myself)?

Sounds like you need one for telling the time and one for looking at and being a watch bore on special occasions - I don’t see the issue :-)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    “I don’t need 2 Speedmasters”... lol

Since when has “I don’t need 2 ... watches” been an acceptable excuse in this forum?!

I love the vintage dial, but I’m curious to know how original the rest of the watch is (not being an expert myself)?

Sounds like you need one for telling the time and one for looking at and being a watch bore on special occasions - I don’t see the issue :-)
    Crown, pushers and plexiglass were replaced at service, plus gaskets and a wheel from the movement. They were returned with the watch, can only assume rest are original.

I dont generally like to have 2 of the same as variety is the key to a watch collection.

Yep, I'd hate to have an Ed White, a 105.012 & a big logo caseback 69.......oh, I have!

Sell the big box bauble man! You know you want to.......

Sell the new one and buy a MK2 which will leave you with money in the bank towards the next.

Journeyman
    That’s a very nice one, you’re more likely to regret letting that one go than a new one that can be easily reacquired.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Crown, pushers and plexiglass were replaced at service, plus gaskets and a wheel from the movement. They were returned with the watch, can only assume rest are original.

I dont generally like to have 2 of the same as variety is the key to a watch collection.
    Sell the big box one if you are concerned about having 2 speedies. Wear the one you just bought - sounds like itvwill keep going for another 20years - if you have it regularly serviced no reason not to keep it running for a life time - and it looks like it has more character than your new one. Don’t leave the one just bought in its box though. IMHO.

That dial is a beaut!

Martyn.

Master
    They all look the same to me

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Crown, pushers and plexiglass were replaced at service, plus gaskets and a wheel from the movement....
    Sounds like Triggers broom.