closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any great Podcast Suggestions

Any great Podcast Suggestions

Hi,

i drive a lot of miles each year and have found recently that radio is becoming boring to me (too old for the music, too young to be brainwashed by politics). So, I have turned to Podcasts for
    a bit of entertainment.

Here's a few that I have found/find interesting to listen to. Some are one off series, some are weekly. Have a look and see what you think and please feel free to suggest any yourselves:

John

Casefile - True Crime Stories - Weekly
    Dead Man Talking - True Crime - a Series
    Flats and Shanks - Rugby Podcast - Weekly
    Gladiator - American Football and the effects of head injuries in sport - A Series
    Lineker and Baker - Football Podcast - Weekly
    That Peter Crouch Podcast - Football - Weekly (very funny)
    Untold: The Daniel Morgan Murder - Crime - Ongoing Series
    The Rhod Gilbert Podcast - Radio show highlights - Weekly

I drive a lot and find either Radio 4 or now radio 4 extra is good, loads of plays, books and comedy shows.

It’s been out for a while but S Town was good (with a clock maker sub story).

No such thing as a fish.

It’s funny and informative..

Joe Rogan, not all of them are worth listening to but there is some gold in there.

One called watch and listen, it's about watches, history of brands, type of watches etc

Smoking tyre, from the watch guy above but its about cars..very us focused but can be interesting.

Dan Carlin's hardcore history, more of series than a podcast but they are worth a listen.

Almost all the radio 4 comedy shows are available in podcast format as well.

Master
    Seeing red is a UK true crime one I quite like
    Uk true crime pretty good
    Radio 2 confessions one really funny
    Blood ties again UK crime

Blog Entries
    Adam Buxton (Adam and Joe) - funny

Saturday Live with the rev Richard Coles - lovely and entertaining

More or less - Behind the stats - insightful

The Dollop -weird American histories - can be very funny/ mind blowing

A point of view (check out the Clive James ones) - makes you think

Shortcuts - Josie Long - Amazing

Master
    Something completely different but very entertaining - even if you don’t follow Scottish football:

Radio Scotland - Off the ball

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02...odes/downloads
    Last edited by David_D; 23rd February 2019 at 01:07.

“Swindled” is an excellent podcast on various crimes/coverups etc and well put together.

I know you said not politics but I enjoy “opening arguments” which provides some in-depth coverage of the American legal system and some fantastic insight into the strange things going on over there with trump, shutdowns etc etc.

For more true crime , “crimetown” and “the rfk tapes” provided some well produced long play reporting, hopefully some more crimetown series coming! And to go further into true crime “dark topic” covers a lot of serial killers and is definitely the darkest content I’ve listened to.

A definite plus 1 for the dollop and s-town, both excellent

S-Town was great.

But Serial - season 2 on Bowe Berhdahl, is a cut above.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    Dan Carlin's hardcore history, more of series than a podcast but they are worth a listen.
    Carlin’s ‘Hardcore History’ is just amazing (if you aren’t put off by his style or voice). A real education, but presented in a relatable, entertaining & passionate way. His epic history of the Mongol empire is a favourite, and I’m currently enthralled by his history of what shaped Japan & their war crimes prior to & during WW2.

Others:

Hodinkee - yeah, I know they get some stick on here, but their podcast is really slickly produced, and whilst it’s nominally about watches, it’s most fascinating as an introduction to interesting people from all walks of life (business, design, sports, arts, media etc.) who just happen to like watches. Particular mention of Jean-Claude Biver, Om Malik, Todd Snyder, Davide Cerrato, Jason Fried & Matt Jacobsen. You maybe won’t know who many of them are, but their works will have influenced your life to some degree, and their opinions can often be insightful & illuminating.

The Grey Nato - just co-opted by Hodinkee, this is a show about watches, but much more besides - diving, exploration, travel, cars, gear, cameras, films, books & more. Not every segment may enthrall, but the presenters Jason Heston & James Stacey are refreshingly humble, personable, enthusiastic, intelligent, informative, curious & without hyperbole. Also, they focus on more affordable watches mainly.

5 Live Boxing with Costello & Bunce - boxing chat, with two very different characters who are the best around.

Armchair Expert with Dax Shepherd - famous guy interviews other famous or notable people about what makes them tick. A bit of an oddball, marmite show, but usually funny, entertaining & provocative.

Craftsman
    Jocko podcast. Ex navy seal commander, talks about war, leadership, q&a, bjj, training plus lots more, Nothing short of amazing, informative, inspiring and real.

Joe Rogan as below, had some amazing people on. Mike Tyson was good, professor Brian Cox, Neil degrasse Tyson.

Athletico mince - Bob Mortimer and Andy Dawson, hilarious. Ostensibly about football but not in the way you’d expect.
    Distraction pieces with Scroobius Pip - I have a man crush on this guy, his approach is “we may not be for you, and that’s OK”. Has lots of good and left field guests.
    Richard Herrings Leicester Square theatre podcast - can be a bit hit and miss depending on the guest but has some really good ones (check out the Brian Blessed episode)
    John Batchelor show - American host who has news stories and opinion from across the spectrum. The Cold War episodes with Professor Cohen are worth it alone but he has a plethora of guests discussing geopolitics but also covers history and other topics.
    Hardcore Listing with Chris and Stu - graduating from Scroobius Pips drunkcast these two have their own show with guests talking top 5’s, like top 5 zombie movies.

Any great Podcast Suggestions

The Worst Idea Of All Time was also entertaining. Their summary is pretty much covers everything

“Two New Zealand comedians who watched Grown Ups 2 once a week, every week for a year. The duo then watched Sex and The City 2 52 times. They finished by watching and reviewing WE ARE YOUR FRIENDS. 52 times.

What started as simply a stupid idea, quickly turned into a public mental unraveling of two grown men, week by week.”

Radio 4 have a load of podcasts in all genres.

How about audio books, from the likes of audible.co.uk?

Actually I’m going to suggest http://Www.podbiblemag.com as a good source. It’s a newly launched mag from Stu Whiffen and others (of hardcore listing in my post above).

Worth a read for some off the beaten track suggestions.

Craftsman
    Great thread, I need some new commute material. My recommendations are all R4 (I’m pretty avant-garde).

Recently, Chain Reaction (one weeks interviewee becomes next weeks interviewer, normally comedians). Best one I’ve heard so far is Alistair McGowan being interviewed - so funny but also fascinating about the psychology of accents. Also enjoyed Clive Anderson, John Lloyd, Victoria Coren-Mitchell ones.

Also a big fan of the Life Scientific. Maybe because they often move all over the world the leading scientists have pretty interesting lives, though the director of the European Environment Agency marrying a Masai chieftain was still quite a surprise.

When it’s being replayed, I love Cabin Pressure. Roger Allam’s wonderfully dry sarcasm just can’t be beaten.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Peter Crouch is very funny if a bit juvenile

With some people facing time without work, I thought it might be good to resurrect this thread with some new additions

We have Ways - Second World war with Al Murray & James Holland
    Films to Be Buried With - Great interviews with celebrities and their film choices
    Guru - The true story of a conman/cult leader
    Chasing Cosby - The crime story of Bill Cosby
    California City - Looking at fraud in a bogus new development in California

any other suggestions welcome

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Peter Crouch is very funny if a bit juvenile
    Agreed - during my lockdown walks I've worked my way through most of them & nearly caught up.
    I was laughing like a loony at the 16th Chapel episode.
    ... which could have been a bit disturbing for others in the park

z
    Last edited by zelig; 24th July 2020 at 09:02.

I've not been listening to anywhere near as much as I used to but the below are worth trying.

Imaginary Worlds - About all sorts of science fiction and fantasy genres - tv, books, movies etc
    Twenty Thousand Hertz - Episodes about how sounds influence us. Some great ones in there like the Dolby boom and Intel one.
    You're dead to me - Greg Jenner (horrible histories) gets a comedian and an expert in a historic topic to discuss. Very entertaining and always learn something.
    The dream - Two part series delving into the murky world of Multi-level marketing (MLM).
    Darknet Diaries - Series on dark side of the internet in particular cybercrime and hacking, data breaches etc. Not that techy but very interesting.