closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fear of changing provider brand (mobile phones)

Fear of changing provider brand (mobile phones)

I know a lot of guys on here swap their phones seemingly every other month, but I always find the learning of a new operating system daunting (one of the reasons I have always remained a pc guy and never bought an apple mac). As such I have been an avid iPhone user for years - its comfortable, familiar and to quote apple "it just works". However...… I was reading today about the upcoming (March 2019) Samsung Galaxy S10 release so looked online for a comparison... found this. No comments on it just a list of specs but on the face of it the Samsung seems to slaughter the iPhone in every single area bar none.

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-m...ung-Galaxy-S10

So my questions are -

Whats the usability like on the Samsung android system - is it intuitive or a pain in the butt?
    Is there any compatibility between it and the iPhone - ie would it mean losing all my photos on my iPhone etc?

Interested to hear thoughts.

It's just a different way of doing stuff, some folk find swapping from ios to android a bit of an effort as android can be customised to a greater extent, but swapping photos and contacts will be very straightforward, I've been using android now for the last 6 years having come from apple, I have no plans to go back, oh and most apps are free.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I think its an easy switchover, after an hour you will be 95% of the way there. Fear of the change shouldn't stop you considering the new phones from Samsung and besides, pushing yourself to learn is a good thing.

Master
    As i have said before Android O/S now accounts for over 85% of new phones sold.

So it's better to learn now as most of the best phones use this system(at this point i expect the apple fanboys to disagree)

I'd suggest picking up a cheap Android and trying it out, if it works for you then invest in a high-end one.

My experience of Android is negative.. tried a change from iPhone in 2013, simply couldn't get on with it at all and switched back within a couple weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    I'd suggest picking up a cheap Android and trying it out, if it works for you then invest in a high-end one.

My experience of Android is negative.. tried a change from iPhone in 2013, simply couldn't get on with it at all and switched back within a couple weeks!
    Sounds a good plan

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    It's just a different way of doing stuff, some folk find swapping from ios to android a bit of an effort as android can be customised to a greater extent, but swapping photos and contacts will be very straightforward, I've been using android now for the last 6 years having come from apple, I have no plans to go back, oh and most apps are free.

n2
    Hmm good to know swapping ez and apps are free. Thanks for this

Master
    I've always been an Android user. I find iPhones very restrictive and counter intuitive (plus I despise Apple's business practices)

My current phone is the Samsung Note 8, which I've had for a little over a year. I wasn't considering an upgrade, but the S10 might have just changed my mind. The only thing holding me back from pre-ordering one is the 'punch hole' front camera - I'll just have to wait and see what it actually looks like in real life.

Master
    Android is much less 'integrated' so if you use a Mac & an iPad then an Android phone won't integrate into the Apple ecosystem like an iPhone does. While it's true most apps have a free version it usually comes with in-app ads & you'll need to pay to get the ad-free version.

I'm not a phone power user & I find Android perfectly adequate & I do like the flexibilty to customise it which I couldn't do with an iPhone. Just something as minor as a tiny LED which flashes different colours to show unread emails or texts is very useful. I've also had dual-SIM phones for years & until very recently you couldn't do that with an iPhone (& even now it's not simple).

Integration,, can you explain as everything I've wanted to access across multiple android devices seems to work just fine.

n2

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Thanks
    I did exactly that two weeks ago. The switch over was easy and Android has improved so much since I last used it.

I'm enjoying the change.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I did exactly that two weeks ago. The switch over was easy and Android has improved so much since I last used it.

I'm enjoying the change.
    You'll still be finding new stuff months from now

n2

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Integration,, can you explain as everything I've wanted to access across multiple android devices seems to work just fine.
    iTunes/Find my Phone/Keychain/photos etc. The Apple ecosystem works well if you want to stay with one supplier. Personally I don't.

Master
    I've used most mobile OS' that have been out there from symbian and winMo, to iOS and Android. Part of my day job is to develop mobile phone apps so I have access to a multitude of different phones (mainly iOS and 'droid).

I prefer iOS, but it is a preference, most of the time there's bugger all difference when browsing the web, taking a photo, using social media or even !shock! making a call. It's the details that do it for me. Apple pay, just works, movie and theater tickets in Wallet, just works, etc. There was a thread recently bemoaning android's equivalent of wallet / pay not working with certain cards, not an issue (yet) for apple pay.

Then there's the seeming need to run a plethora of anti virus and other independent security to keep your data secure with android, less so with iOS. I'm not saying android isn't / can't be secure or even that it's intrinsically less secure than iOS, just that i feel more comfortable with my card details on iOS than I would on an android device. This is all probably marketing and perception driven but it's hard to shake and I've not had my data stolen yet so why risk it?

I'm sure if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to use android I'd be ok but it's not something I choose to do (yet). I will say that i'm incredibly envious of some of the android cameras, I wish Apple would stop fannying about with hacky software gimicks and put some quality optics and sensors in their cameras, they are seriously outgunned by things like the Huawei and Samsung devices in that regard.

Craftsman
    I have just swapped and swapped back

The biggest thing of note is iOS just works, and it’s easy, Android maybe better overall but you have to spend a lot more time making it work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Persoanlly I found android a hassle just not as straight foward for how I use my phone things like having to shut down apps etc, it wouldn’t really bother me too much to use either but I just find iPhones suit me better. As someone else suggested buy a cheap one to try out and see how you go i do this fairly regular just to see if I’m best upgrading my iPhone or switching to droid

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    ie would it mean losing all my photos on my iPhone etc?

You can just back up your photos to your PC, so that's not an issue.

I'm sure you would get used to Android over time. I'm just used to ios using an iPhone and iPad. As I only change when things stop working, I tend to stick with what I know.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    You can just back up your photos to your PC, so that's not an issue.

I'm sure you would get used to Android over time. I'm just used to ios using an iPhone and iPad. As I only change when things stop working, I tend to stick with what I know.
    Even easier, you download Google Drive to your iPhone and back everything up to it. Then on your new Android phone, log into your Google Drive and away you go. Simple.

Do be wary of trying to compare cheap Android with iPhones. A previously top top priced iPhone (as they all were when newly released) will generally out compete a new budget Android because that Android was built to be budget.

Really should go for modern, upper end Android if you want to compare with your current iPhone as the hardware does matter as does the version of Android.

Master
    My iPhone shows as a dcim folder, like most digital cameras, when I connect it to my pc. Eventually. iTunes and connectivity with pcs is probably the worst aspect of iPhone ownership (for me anyway).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    iTunes and connectivity with pcs is probably the worst aspect of iPhone ownership (for me anyway).

It's so bad, I very rarely use it. I like to think I am reasonably tech savvy but iTunes defeats me most of the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Even easier, you download Google Drive to your iPhone and back everything up to it. Then on your new Android phone, log into your Google Drive and away you go. Simple.
    Fair point. I don't like the idea of cloud storage so go the old fashioned route.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Do be wary of trying to compare cheap Android with iPhones. A previously top top priced iPhone (as they all were when newly released) will generally out compete a new budget Android because that Android was built to be budget.

Really should go for modern, upper end Android if you want to compare with your current iPhone as the hardware does matter as does the version of Android.
    Yes this, I generally buy a used last years model type thing which I can sell for similar to what I paid a few weeks later if it doesn’t work out and compare it to the (generally 2-3 year) old iPhone before deciding to upgrade.
    Another good point about google drive makes things pretty simple to swap everything over .

You can import all you contacts photos text messages from your iPhone as far as I remember there is a samsung program to do it.
    95% of the apps made for iPhone are made for android, maybe more. So I'd say all the apps you are used to will be available.
    After that it's just setting up the layout of your apps.
    I bought an android tablet when I had my iPhone and got used to android and made it easier to switch.

The specs on that S10 look great, I'm still using a S8 and no sign of it slowing or crashing. I can't find an excuse to get the S10 that the wife would go with. And that's the great part of Samsung it won't be out if date when the S11, S12 or S13 come along. I couldnt say the same for an iPhone.

Master
    Haven’t spent much time with Android recently - my partner does and we often see evidence of her Galaxy eavesdropping on us with targeted adverts for a few days after ! I thought it was coincidence but I’m certain it’s happening more and more often .
    What are residual values for high end android handsets like now ? I’m always pleased at the continued functionality and decent resale on 5 year old apple products :)

Some great advice and plenty to think about thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Is there any compatibility between it and the iPhone - ie would it mean losing all my photos on my iPhone etc?
    You won't lose any photos but you will lose your albums but *only* if those albums were made on the iPhone and not on a desktop and transferred over via iPhoto.

I had the iPhone 4s and upgraded every year to the newest until the 7 plus. I'm not on a Google pixel and love android. They both do the same thing and really you could just order an S10 online or over the phone and use it as much as possible in the first two weeks returning it hassle free if it doesn't work out.

Do not buy a cheap Samsung or Android first to trial. It will be a junk phone with a junk experience and won't be anything like the S10. It would be like buying an old Mondeo for a few weeks to see how you would get on with a brand new S Class.

Only other issue is you will lose your WhatsApp message history. This is the same if you switch from Android to iPhone.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    Android maybe better overall but you have to spend a lot more time making it work
    What do you mean by this?

As I've said, I've always been an Android user (started around 2011, with the HTC Wildfire S, which was running on Android Gingerbread) and I don't recall a single instance of having to 'make it work'.

Sure, sometimes you'd break your phone trying custom ROMs and then have to spend half a day rebuilding everything, but, out of the box, with the version of Android the phone was supposed to be running, I've never had any issues.

As others have said, don't buy a budget Android phone. It will just give you a negative experience compared to a middle to top end one.
    I would get something like a Motorola G6 or G6 Plus. The G6 can be had for around £135.
    I've just bought one for Liz off Amazon, and she loves it, great screen, the camera is superb, it's fast, plenty of storage. I don't see any point in spending £100's of pounds to gain a little more to be honest.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review...to-g6-3675716/