closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crap Towns 2019

Journeyman
    Dudley must be in the top 10 surely

Sent from my SM-N950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Great Yarmouth... the seafront is nice(ish) on a summers day but that’s just varnish on a turd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My home town of Ashford (Kent) has no redeeming features but compared to places like Warrington, Grimsby, Doncaster, Port Talbot, Merthyr etc it’s positively salubrious.
    Would never move back there though as it depresses me every time I have to visit or pass through on the way to the nicer parts of Kent.

Dartford is crap. Some years ago Tesco purchased half of it to build a huge development, evicting half of the already decaying businesses in the town, then once the place was boarded up, they ran out of money and scarpered. The town now looks like the zombie apocalypse, and its inhabitants of chavs, ex London council scum and criminal pikeys give the place a special crapness. A small nuclear explosion in it's centre would improve it greatly.

Crap Towns 2019

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    My home town of Ashford (Kent) has no redeeming features but compared to places like Warrington, Grimsby, Doncaster, Port Talbot, Merthyr etc it’s positively salubrious.
    Would never move back there though as it depresses me every time I have to visit or pass through on the way to the nicer parts of Kent.
    Indeed. We call it Trashford for a reason, but it’s a posh, southeast England kind of dump. Dartfort is significantly worse.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Owl1
    Rotherham ...total sh@thole .Makes you wonder what happened to these towns ?
    Last edited by Owl1; 23rd February 2019 at 07:17.

Blog Entries
    Another vote for Slough, I have had the misfortune to have driven through there a few times through necessity in the last 10 years and the only pleasure is when you leave this ugly downmarket dump behind! I have recently heard it said that if the Earth required an enema, Slough is where they would insert the tube!
    Last edited by KavKav; 23rd February 2019 at 07:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post
    Maggie Thatcher

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Maggie Thatcher
    Ditto swathes of the UK,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I passed through Mansfield on a Sunday afternoon twenty years ago, and I can still feel the recoil I felt then.
    It feels more like Mansfield has passed through a lot of people, if you get my meaning.

Grand Master
    And yet all these not so nice places would be great by getting rid of all those people in those places that have been mentioned......
    To deal with some of "my" issues with Bradford,would be to move over the river North of where I live now,but thankfully as of now Thackley is still quite nice with not so many large Victorian houses with big cellars and lofts.So probably won't end up like some other areas of Bradford most civilised people wouldn't like to drive thru in a car at night,or walk thru during the day!.A visit to either of the Hospitals in Bradford is an experience,thankfully it isn't often,were it to be Id consider joining BUPA!.

Those places being....

Bd3/7/8/9 for the most part.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    And yet all these not so nice places would be great by getting rid of all those people in those places that have been mentioned......
    To deal with some of "my" issues with Bradford,would be to move over the river North of where I live now,but thankfully as of now Thackley is still quite nice with not so many large Victorian houses with big cellars and lofts.So probably won't end up like some other areas of Bradford most civilised people wouldn't like to drive thru in a car at night,or walk thru during the day!.A visit to either of the Hospitals in Bradford is an experience,thankfully it isn't often,were it to be Id consider joining BUPA!.

Those places being....

Bd3/7/8/9 for the most part.
    I had an accident at work one morning and went to Bolton hospital which is only a mile or so away.There were already a few drinks about dossing in the waiting area and it wasn't yet 6-30am.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Great Yarmouth... the seafront is nice(ish) on a summers day but that’s just varnish on a turd.

Sadly there's a lot of seaside towns like that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Ditto swathes of the UK,
    She's either loved or hated, there's no inbetween. I'm of the latter variety

There's a direct line from Thatcher to where great swathes of the UK are now, some of the most impoverished areas of Europe.

Master
    There's a direct line from Thatcher to where great swathes of the UK are now, some of the most impoverished areas of Europe.
    I remember her goverment putting nearly 2,000,000 on the dole in 2 years during the early 80's and that was before she took the miners on, all the while inflation was sky high.
    She shut apprentice training schools down and introduced the YTS scheme was useless.
    If you worked in manufacturing during the 80's and got through the decade without signing on you were doing well.
    Once a pit or large factory shut in some areas, that was it, game over.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    How can all these places be named without mentioning LEICESTER ?? fake list imo.
    How dare you…. It’s the finest city in the northern hemisphere (according to nobody)

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    1. It's a city.

2. It has the best sewage museum I have ever visited. Better than Hereford.
    The Poo museum is truly ace…. I’ve been to many a steam day there…. Should’ve guessed you would’ve been into all that malarkey…

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Is it full of $h1t ?
    It once was…. They pumped it all up to Beaumont Leys…. Then made it worse by moving in people…

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I bet the souvenir shop is full of crap
    Aren’t they all?

Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    Let me guess, you are a Spurs fan😂
    Undoubtedly…. We have a big shiny PL trophy to make our city look beautiful 🏆

Master
    Anyone been to rectum recently??.... sorry I meant Wrexham👎👎

must be a fake list, black country towns should take up all 10 positions .

I remember her goverment putting nearly 2,000,000 on the dole in 2 years during the early 80's and that was before she took the miners on, all the while inflation was sky high.
    She shut apprentice training schools down and introduced the YTS scheme was useless.
    If you worked in manufacturing during the 80's and got through the decade without signing on you were doing well.
    Once a pit or large factory shut in some areas, that was it, game over.

I'm currently sat in a pretty little village a couple of miles from two small towns that were destroyed back in the 80's, they still haven't recovered, abandoned by successive governments.

Master
    I'm currently sat in a pretty little village a couple of miles from two small towns that were destroyed back in the 80's, they still haven't recovered, abandoned by successive governments.
    Whereabouts are you?

I think the problem afflicting a lot of our towns and regions is that we never managed to get a national sense of what, once our industry was outcompeted in the global market, we were going to do with ourselves. The only vision going was services - firstly that produced deathly new developments like Slough and Peterborough, and secondly, sitting in an airconditioned office tapping at a computer is only truly suitable for part of our population. What are all the young men who want to use their physical strength and energy supposed to do with their lives? I think this is why we still have such pride in our armed forces - it's one of the few areas outside office life which still has genuine prestige. Thatcher thought the market would in time solve the problems left behind, but they haven't (Unless you think Amazon warehouses are unproblematic) Our seaside towns start to decline first; it's hard to see why our post-industrial towns won't eventually sink to their level.

Sorry if this is gloomy and jumbled, but it's been getting me down for a long long time. My happiest years growing up were in a small town with good civic life. When I go back there now, although it's nothing like the towns mentioned here, that sense of purpose seems to have run out.

Whereabouts are you?

If you're a UK politician committed to righting the wrongs of the past 30+ years drop me a PM, other than that Doncaster DN5 which is quite big,

Master
    The only thing going for Slough is the Trading Estate and its close commute to London, which says it all. 10-15 years ago the high street was quite a vibrant place, decent bars, restaurants and all the major retailers in the shopping precinct. Ghost of a town nowadays, majority of department stores vanished, full of pound shops, takeaways and 24/7 convenience stores- Then again that could be said of a hell of a lot of once busy high streets around the UK...........

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I think the problem afflicting a lot of our towns and regions is that we never managed to get a national sense of what, once our industry was outcompeted in the global market, we were going to do with ourselves. The only vision going was services - firstly that produced deathly new developments like Slough and Peterborough, and secondly, sitting in an airconditioned office tapping at a computer is only truly suitable for part of our population. What are all the young men who want to use their physical strength and energy supposed to do with their lives? I think this is why we still have such pride in our armed forces - it's one of the few areas outside office life which still has genuine prestige. Thatcher thought the market would in time solve the problems left behind, but they haven't (Unless you think Amazon warehouses are unproblematic) Our seaside towns start to decline first; it's hard to see why our post-industrial towns won't eventually sink to their level.

Sorry if this is gloomy and jumbled, but it's been getting me down for a long long time. My happiest years growing up were in a small town with good civic life. When I go back there now, although it's nothing like the towns mentioned here, that sense of purpose seems to have run out.
    Well put,
    I grew up in near both Rotherham and Sheffield and remember them as glittering places full of hard working well dressed people spending money, to some extent Sheffield is once again flourishing on the back of the university, Rotherham is fu**ed!

We spend about 50% of our time in Twickenham/Richmond it's quite literally a different world.

Master
    If you're a UK politician committed to righting the wrongs of the past 30+ years drop me a PM, other than that Doncaster DN5 which is quite big,
    I've only been through Doncaster on my motorbike (years ago) but my mother always had a soft spot for the town as ahe was stationed near there during the war. I think the RAF station she was on ended up as a prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    The only thing going for Slough is the Trading Estate and its close commute to London, which says it all. 10-15 years ago the high street was quite a vibrant place, decent bars, restaurants and all the major retailers in the shopping precinct. Ghost of a town nowadays, majority of department stores vanished, full of pound shops, takeaways and 24/7 convenience stores- Then again that could be said of a hell of a lot of once busy high streets around the UK...........
    Does the trading estate still smell of Mars bars?

- - - Updated - - -

I've only been through Doncaster on my motorbike (years ago) but my mother always had a soft spot for the town as ahe was stationed near there during the war. I think the RAF station she was on ended up as a prison.

That might be Lindholm,

Master
    Yes :-) i drive past there frequently, Slough 'Home of the Mars Bar'

- - - Updated - - -

That might be Lindholm,

Master

I’d have given her a state funeral whilst she was still alive. She was evil personified.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Rome the best city I've ever been to in my opinion. It's got everything.
    Especially Chinese tourists.

disappointing my nearest town of Skegvegas doesn't get a mention but good to see P'boro in there.

Blog Entries
    I have lived now in Sheffield for 29 years, and the town is changed a lot. Both Universities have brought in money and about 80 thousand students. Restaurants are growing in quality, and the bog standard ones close.

Can see that Sheffield is circled with places in the worst positions (Doncaster, Rotherham), but perusing that site (ilivehere.co.uk) have found almost exclusively vitriolic comments about most parts of Britain.

I wonder how reliable those comments are, seems a concoction of vitriolic comments posted by very unhappy people. Nobody seems to be happy of their town.
    Last edited by Franco; 23rd February 2019 at 12:06.

Craftsman
    I find most comments quite fair having travelled to most places listed over the years.

I do not understand how you link the comments to very unhappy people. I am a happy person but Llanelli is still a shit hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    disappointing my nearest town of Skegvegas doesn't get a mention but good to see P'boro in there.
    One bank holiday my better half suggested a day in Skegvegas, (you need to be fairly local to call it that), so kids in the back of the 5 series off we trot, arriving there we traipsed around for an hour or so then joined a queue for what we assumed was a chippy, turned out that the queue was for a tattoo parlour, we left Skeggy sans fish, chips and of course tattoos never to return.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I’d have given her a state funeral whilst she was still alive. She was evil personified.
    Hahaha yeah i think i could have spared some petrol for that.

Master

- - - Updated - - -

That might be Lindholm,
    That might be Lindholm,

Yeah that's it. I remember her seeing it on the news and being upset.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post

The worst town I have visited abroad is Rome and I travel a lot.
    It reminded me of Cairo quite a lot but the ancient piles of bricks were smaller but the piles of rubbish in the streets were bigger, disgusting place.
    And graffiti on everything, rude locals who tried to rip me and my young family off incessantly, and it’s overpriced.

The Trevi Fountain is beautiful, and of course there are some truly historic sites - just a shame they are in Rome.
    So clever my foot fell off.

How can Basildon not be on that list, and in the top three

To blame the downtrodden shite towns on the economy is doing a great disservice to all those millions who were shite on by Thatcherism and then New Labour...
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    How can Basildon not be on that list, and in the top three
    Oh, yes the true twin city of Las Vegas.

Master
    I’d caveat this by saying that I didn’t think it was all bad but honestly, the last time I got off a train at Peterborough, I wandered over to the Waitrose to get a drink.

As I walked through the door, someone was running out - with a couple of bottles of booze in tow.

I was taken aback, but have to say that he was a rather polite thief, apologising as he ran out

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    And graffiti on everything, rude locals who tried to rip me and my young family off incessantly, and it’s overpriced.

The Trevi Fountain is beautiful, and of course there are some truly historic sites - just a shame they are in Rome.
    Indeed. And most of these ignorant ruffians can’t even speak English.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    To blame the downtrodden shite towns on the economy is doing a great disservice to all those millions who were shite on by Thatcherism and then New Labour...

And to those millions who continued elected the same local councils, with their same policies, who failed to move things forward because it didn't suit their agendas.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    And to those millions who continued elected the same local councils, with their same policies, who failed to move things forward because it didn't suit their agendas.
    Yes depressing isn't it, when people keep on voting the same way regardless of how crap those they vote for prove to be.

n2

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Indeed.

The electorates ability to support policies that would benefit themselves should they ever be very wealthy and should they move to greenbelt heaven and penalises those poor souls worse off than themselves is staggering.
    Gray

Journeyman
    This thread is funny and depressing in equal measure.
    In that vain Wolverhampton should get on the list.
    My son went to the university open day after a barrage of leaflets and letters from them.
    Driving through, we took one look at the area and decided it wasn't the right place for him, as if we needed any more convincing someone at the open day commented on it being the suicide capital of the UK. Unsurprisingly no mention of that on the flyers......

Dn5 ain’t that big ,think I’ve lived in every village in Dn5,I’ll get you a pint in sun one day

Wow, three pages in and no mention of my birthplace Middlesbrough???

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Wow, three pages in and no mention of my birthplace Middlesbrough???
    Not a lot to say about it

Master
    Me and my mate used to go to Wolverhampton drinking a good while ago as we could get the tram from his there were loads of good bars he went about 6 months ago and said not one of them is open anymore