closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Towns 2019

Crap Towns 2019

The results are out. Are you proud of your home town?

10. Blackburn

If you live here, I’m sorry for you – and if you haven’t ever been here, then stay away.
    [the] estates make Syria look calm, you can guarantee if you dare to walk down these downtrodden dogshit ridden estates (mind the needles), you will almost certainly spot the inhabitants walking freely in dressing gowns, fluffy slippers, undoubtedly pregnant, with a fag in their gob going to pick up another free prescription from the overly used clap clinic.
    Drug dealers, dole wasters, bums, guttersnipes, fallen women, young slappers and their steroid pumped teenage boyfriends. It’s a f*cking nightmare! A cross between ‘Shameless’ and the Star Wars canteen at best.

9. Oldham

I think Oldham was best summed up by a friend of mine who upon a visit to this fair town one day remarked, that the people of Oldham look as though the government has been performing nuclear testing in the area.
    Once on [an Oldham bus] you may have to wait a while for the bus to set off, it’s common for the bus driver to have to remind at least one person that you cannot travel without paying.
    If you want culture and sophistication, then one should look no further than Yorkshire street and the local shopping centres, where Sports Direct is the new Hugo Boss and TJ Hughes is the new Harrods.

8. Castleford

Recent highly scientific research (namely walking down the high street) points to one in three inhabitants below the age of 30 fitting neatly into the chav box.
    In a town where everybody is a blood relative of the person next to them, you have to wonder whether the essence of chavdom stems from bad breeding, or in the case of Castleford, possible interbreeding.
    A trip to Castleford is a real eye opener… and you need to keep your eyes open because if you dare to close them, they’d have your wallet faster than you could say ‘XR3i.’
    Suffice to say, if someone wanted to give Yorkshire an enema, this is where they’d stick the tube.

7. Blackpool

Just walking around the town centre and seeing the result of years of inbreeding is an ordeal, so much so that we try to avoid the place unless absolutely necessary.
    the best thing about BLACKPOOL is the M55 out
    While in Blackpool all you smell is weed, McDonald’s, KFC and dried up piss!
    You may think it’s a jolly seaside resort with candy floss and donkeys, it’s a scumbucket for the transients who come here to draw benefits in a holiday resort, instead of an inner city.

6. Rotherham

Rotherham, a worthy nomination – think i’ll head off somewhere else and get away from it all – perhaps Hunstanton? on second thoughts – that’s no better is it?
    I wish I had a great story about twatting a chav for being cheeky or something but the truth of the matter is, that I put as much distance between me and the population as possible after that first visit.
    I stopped going into the town centre. There was no point. I like a pint without violence. I like to sometimes buy stuff that costs £1.99 – or more!
    After a year of reading headlines in the Rotherham Advertiser like ‘Chip Pan Fire Guts House’, ‘Body found outside Takeaway’ and ‘Asbo Grandad at it again’ I decided I somehow didn’t fit in and moved away.

5. Hull

I was born and bred in Hull and can honestly say you’re bang on with your description. What a f**king dump this place is.
    Just spend 10 minutes stood outside the Maternity Unit at Hull Royal Infirmary. Watch in amazement as 15 year old Courtney shouts at her 3 kids to “fooking get back ‘ere or I’ll fooking bray yer” as she chain smokes her 3rd fag before re-entering the building to spitt out another no-dad

4. Doncaster

You’ve probably been forced to pass here on the train at sometime in your life, seeing all the attractions such as the smack rat infested balby flats and dirty Hexthorpe.
    Doncaster is counterfeit Nottingham!
    Ahhh Doncaster, that s**t-hole surrounded by other s**t-holes such as Hull, Barnsley, Pontefract, Scunthorpe and Rotherham.
    A night out in Donny is magical, with bums sitting on steps drinking white lightning near the old Purple Door strip club or the Jobcentre and chavvettes with near nothing on, looking to volunteer to contibute to Doncasters rising pregnancy rate

3. Rochdale

Take in the smells – the strong whiff of tobacco and fatty foods with subtle hints of exhaust fumes, sweat and damp vegetables from the market area; see if you can detect a undertone of vomit, Karate aftershave and old cheese.
    No need to hide the rolls of fat around one’s midriff, no need to bother with personal hygiene or inconveniences such as makeup or combs. You are now standing in the centre of the universe. Breath deep my friend, soak it up. Then make your choice – leave fast or stay forever.
    Welcome to the cesspit of the universe, where evolution took a break and spat out this breed of useless slack-jawed yokels with less IQ than a glass of water
    You have a choice, visit Rochdale or have your gonads beaten 800 times with a rusty sledgehammer wielded by a German bodybuilder… I’ll get the hammer.

2. Huddersfield

There’s nothing but pound shops and a few coffee shops. It’s polluted, unclean and full of idiots. It’s a horrible place to live.
    Huddersfield it’s a rough, boring, chavvy, crap hole.
    For a demo of the chav scooterists trying to impress the scummy lady chavs simply go and look in the Morrisons car park from about 7pm onwards, thousands of the cretins, unfortunately they never seem to fall off.
    So in short if you like your car windows, teeth, kne

And the winner (or loser) is;

Drum roll.............

1. Peterborough

One thing to bear in mind, if booking a weekend get away in Peterborough, it is customary if a stranger holds eye contact with you for more than three seconds, to shout “WHAT”??? and become extremely aggressive.
    I lived in Peterborough for 15 years and all I can say is wow. what a f*****g DUMP
    They are without doubt some of the most aggressive, miserable, backwards, negative people I have ever come across.
    The atmosphere in Peterborough is draining. You feel totally isolated from the rest of the world and life in general, as though everything else is going on and you’re not part of it as you’re stuck in this dump.
    Take a trip into the town centre and it’s like walking onto the set of the Walking dead. Every manner of inbred mutant adorns the streets.

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/top-10-w...ive-in-england - thanks to Hogthrob for the link
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 22nd February 2019 at 11:54.

Blog Entries
    So, pretty much anywhere oop north, can’t argue with Blackburn apart from it should be higher - utter crap hole

The Grim North.........

I have lived in t'North for 40+ years. Seems OK to me.

Master
    Have to say some of the worst driving I've encountered as a cyclist is in #10/9/3 but what is the criteria for crap town? Blackpool whilst not great has some fantastic countryside behind it and the uber monied St.Anne's

Master
    Surprised, thought I'd see Slough in Berkshire at number 1, 2 and 3.......

I would happily live in Hull, Doncaster, Peterborough or Huddersfield, if the only alternative was Gloucester. Castleford, on the other hand.... That's a point, where's Wakefield on this list?

I'm longing to get back to the North.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    So, pretty much anywhere oop north, can’t argue with Blackburn apart from it should be higher - utter crap hole
    Agree on Blackburn but why no Bolton or Keighley?

I’ve lived on the south coast for the last eleven years but spent almost all of my life before that in the North (twenty years in Rochdale plus Leeds, Manchester, Stockport and Halifax).

What I do notice is that northern towns are hit harder by depression and take longer to recover than the south but there are always good areas to live even in the worst towns. Get out of the towns though and there are a lot of very nice areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    Surprised, thought I'd see Slough in Berkshire at number 1, 2 and 3.......
    As a Slough boy born and bred (though now live oop north), i agree

Given how the list is created I think these are mostly places that are shabby but where people still have a good humoured and realistic pride. Huddersfield worse than Dewsbury? Doncaster worse than Retford? Rochdale worse than Rhyl?

And how does Hull get to be called a town, not a city?

Peterborough? I spent a month there one night.

Craftsman
    Peterborough resident here. As with all towns/cities Peterborough has some rough neighbourhoods and some beautiful, highly desirable neighbourhoods.

The city centre has undergone a big refresh in recent years, the local public transport is above average for punctuality and who’s to moan about a 45 min train ride into London?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    As a Slough boy born and bred (though now live oop north), i agree
    It's not getting any better, same, lived all my life 5 mins from Slough and even I don't venture in the town after dark :-)

The crematorium in Slough is quite nice.

Master
    Well, at least Coventry isn't in there for a change.

Craftsman
    Surprised Blackpool is not further up the list.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Have to say some of the worst driving I've encountered as a cyclist is in #10/9/3 but what is the criteria for crap town? Blackpool whilst not great has some fantastic countryside behind it and the uber monied St.Anne's

Not quite. St. Annes has been down for many years (mainly since they put a massive Benefits office there which dragged in all sorts of unmentionables and itinerants). However, it is slowly recovering. You're thinking of Lytham about 2 miles further south.

The two were joined in 1953 as Lytham St Annes and people in St Annes use that designator the people in Lytham certainly do not associate with St Annes but you are quite correct about wealth.

Master
    Skegness and Boston aren’t up there for once .. that’s a shock
    And where’s Grimsby!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Can't believe Dingle Land i.e. Burnley didn't make the top 10.

Where's London and all the other cities? They may be Ok in centre square mile but as soon as you get outside they have huge deprived areas.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Can't believe Dingle Land i.e. Burnley didn't make the top 10.
    Disappointed myself to be honest, thought we’d done enough to crack the top 10. Fingers crossed for next year. Can only think we’ve been penalised for our thriving Burnley Centre Monday Drinking Club, it’s like Mardi Gras for the mentally challenged, every week the pride of Pendle are rolling in the gutter then back home and sniff glue until the next benefit cheque comes through the door. Wetherspoons has a lot to answer for

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    It's not getting any better, same, lived all my life 5 mins from Slough and even I don't venture in the town after dark :-)
    I moved away 11yrs ago, moved back 3yrs ago, decided that was a bad idea and went back up north again last year.

Where abouts are you then, i was a Cippenham lad

Craftsman
    Swaffham should be in there!

Without a doubt, Sutton in Ashfield. Found myself there on Wednesday, having attended a funeral in neighbouring Mansfield. Still wearing my funeral suit, I decided to pop into Asda for milk, bread & eggs. Not only was I the only person wearing a suit but the only person dressed to be outdoors, everyone else was wearing pyjamas, over-stretched lycra leggings, etc. The place itself? Dog shite central, litter strewn and worn out....

I woke up on the train in Swansea once. I never went back.

Hellensborough is is the most aptly named place I've visited. MacKintosh's own house barely made it tolerable.

Clearly the list compiler has never visited Birkenhead... or St Helens... or
    Gray

... and Coalville in the Midlands is a hot contender
    Gray

Craftsman
    The worst town I have visited in th UK is London, dirty, noisy, over crowded and rude.
    I have not been to a lot of places up North (north of Cheltenham), the two that stand out as being pretty grim are Doncaster and Hull.

The worst town I have visited abroad is Rome and I travel a lot.
    It reminded me of Cairo quite a lot but the ancient piles of bricks were smaller but the piles of rubbish in the streets were bigger, disgusting place.

Glad to see Hartlepool didn't get a mention.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Living in Oldham, I can vouch for the town centre (amongst other areas) being absolute dumps. It’s so bad that we have 3 Wetherspoon’s!

My 21 yr old lad is very ambitious. When we asked him where he’d like to live in the future, he said “Anywhere but here!”

Craftsman
    Crawley, what a cackhole.

Llanelli, toilet.

Slough, horrid.

Southend, good gods alive!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Living in Oldham, I can vouch for the town centre (amongst other areas) being absolute dumps. It’s so bad that we have 3 Wetherspoon’s!
    3 Wetherspoons, that's bad. You could be the winner if you also have a Yates'

Living in Doncaster,yes the town centre is pretty poor ,but having travelled around a lot with work there’s definitely worst places ,I don’t think it’s in the top 10

Craftsman
    One of the funniest post I've read on here. Superb.

Master
    I'm very proud (am i?) to say I've boxed in 3 of those towns and of the 3, Blackburn is definitely the worst.

Craftsman
    I recall going to see Saints play Blackburn away in the late 90's (long drive) and I didn't think we were going to get out alive. I also remember the barmaid in the first pub we went into advising us just not to speak as our plummy southern accents may make us 'vulnerable'. We lost 2-1 anyway thank god.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 22nd February 2019 at 14:53.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    It has now.

I would like to offer Milton Keynes for consideration for two reasons.

1) its a New affluent Town with good infrastructure, housing, shops, green spaces, transport links, jobs , etc so doesn't not really have a single excuse to a place which causes your soul to actually leave your body as soon as you reach the sign which says Welcome to Milton Keynes"

2) a number of people who live there and claim to love it and then leave as soon as the opportunity arises.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    It's a sh*thole alright, but it's far less of a sh*thole than it was twenty years ago. Fair play to Peter "My favourite! Guacamole!" Mandelson — he must have, er, rubbed off, in some way.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I would like to offer Milton Keynes for consideration for two reasons.

1) its a New affluent Town with good infrastructure, housing, shops, green spaces, transport links, jobs , etc so doesn't not really have a single excuse to a place which causes your soul to actually leave your body as soon as you reach the sign which says Welcome to Milton Keynes"

2) a number of people who live there and claim to love it and then leave as soon as the opportunity arises.
    Brilliant ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    One of the funniest post I've read on here. Superb.
    I wouldn't get too cocky old lad, some of yours are managing to give us a laugh

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    That's fair enough, I'll take that :)

Master
    One of the roughest places I’ve ever been..... Mansfield..... shudder

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Skegness and Boston aren’t up there for once .. that’s a shock
    And where’s Grimsby!

I have to say I am somewhat disappointed not to see my (relative) hometown not on the list.

I think there is a lot of truth in the fact that the more down to earth, self-deprecating folk take great pride in coming bottom of a list of the UK's population sinkholes!

Craftsman
    I can see a book coming on... Crap towns of Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    That could well be the second or third time we've agreed on something,

n2

Craftsman
    Just out of interest though, have you ever said anything stupid on this forum, or am i the only one?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I wouldn't get too cocky old lad, some of yours are managing to give us a laugh

n2

Just out of interest though, have you ever said anything stupid on this forum, or am i the only one?
    More than I could possibly remember, but don't worry about it, fact is it's only an Internet watch forum, it's not real life.

n2

Craftsman
    Don't worry, I am pretty sure number2 is actually Nigel Farage trying to pass himself off as a soft in the head snowflake just for the sport of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I passed through Mansfield on a Sunday afternoon twenty years ago, and I can still feel the recoil I felt then.