closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 36mm v's 39mm Explorer - any wrist shots?

36mm v's 39mm Explorer - any wrist shots?

I'll refrain from saying Explorer I (doh!... too late!).. but I've a hankering after one of these. I'm around a 7" wrist, my perfect fit being my SMP. Speedy Pro is JUST a bit too flat lugged to be right for me. SKX007 is bang on my mark.

So... I'm THINKING I'd prefer a 36mm Explorer but am slightly put off by hollow end links and center links... and lack of clasp adjustment.

Its the usual quandry... and I just need to go try some on but in the meantime, has anyone got wrist shots of both so I can confuse myself further?

Master
    I wear a 39mm Explorer and size wise it does not look much different from the 36mm model. I have a 2014 model and it is a shade more blingy but the latest model goes back to basics.

I would not worry about an older bracelet, it will certainly outlive you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I wear a 39mm Explorer and size wise it does not look much different from the 36mm model. I have a 2014 model and it is a shade more blingy but the latest model goes back to basics.

I would not worry about an older bracelet, it will certainly outlive you.
    There's a mint 2005, boxed with papers - in a local dealer to me. £4250, which is probably a tad over value imo.. but I've a very limited choice locally with bricks and mortar shops. Do you know is there any micro adjustment at all on these?

I have one of the later 36mm Explorers (114270) and it has solid end links so don't discount the 36mm on those grounds.
    Last edited by mylofitz; 21st February 2019 at 14:44.

I can vouch that the 36mm 114270 is a perfect fit on a 7.25” wrist

Yep the 114270 lovely watch and for my 6.75 wrist a perfect size also I feel the 36 is much better proportioned and the case is much less chunky and more refined to my eye than the later 39 . Also the 114270 has solid end links and the clasp is adjustable....if you try both on which I did ....then decide which suits you best !.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    There's a mint 2005, boxed with papers - in a local dealer to me. £4250, which is probably a tad over value imo.. but I've a very limited choice locally with bricks and mortar shops. Do you know is there any micro adjustment at all on these?
    There is about 6 micro adjustment holes in the clasp. I’ll take a picture of the clasp when i get in from work if it helps?

Another vote for the 36mm 114270. Excellent watch I wish I'd kept hold of now my finances are in order again. Am abroad but will try to dig out wrist shot later. The 36mm is perfect on my 7.25inch wrist. Not a fan of the 39mm as it seems to lose proportion in the upscale and is too big imo.

I tried on both the 36mm and 39mm a few times to help decide which I preferred with my 7” wrist.

I think there is a significant difference in how they “wear”. I went for the 36mm. Dial/crystal size of approximately 30mm is the same as found on many of the 40mm Professional models.

Thanks for the replies... I've sent a message off to the seller to confirm re SELs and clasp. If it has both... Then I'm VERY interested. The lug proportions look nicely balanced to me in the 36mm.

I had a GS 9F quartz 36mm. If it wears similar to that, it'll be perfect.

Roll on next week when I can try it on...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazio View Post
    Yep the 114270 lovely watch and for my 6.75 wrist a perfect size also I feel the 36 is much better proportioned and the case is much less chunky and more refined to my eye than the later 39 . Also the 114270 has solid end links and the clasp is adjustable....if you try both on which I did ....then decide which suits you best !.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. The proportions of the 36mm are perfect as is, for a 6.75in (mine) or 7in wrist, the size. Imo, neither the bezel width nor the lugs on the 39mm are quite right and the watch loses a lot of its elegance compared to the 36mm. I also prefer the glossy dial on the 36mm, although admittedly that comes at the price of poorer legibility.
    Never understood what the fuss is about SELs so I wouldn't let that bother me.

Loving the wrist shots above... VERY like my old 9F Seiko in look which I loved (yeah.. I know.. I flipped it!).

Here's the 1 shot I have of the watch in question if any experts can tell me if those are SELs?

Apprentice
    Here is the 36mm Explorer 1 on a 6.5 inch wrist...

Preferred on the leather strap though.

Cheers.

IMG_0830.jpgOpti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by OptiUK View Post
    Here is the 36mm Explorer 1 on a 6.5 inch wrist...

Preferred on the leather strap though.

Cheers.

IMG_0830.jpgOpti
    Looks a bit smaller without the bracelet to flow into doesn't it? Oh.. and welcome to the forum! Thanks for your reply

Just got a reply there... SELs and micro adjustments.

Opinion on price/value chaps? Its a full package, box, papers and original purchase date is June 2005. Was £4750 (WAY too high!) with £500 off in a supposed sale... £4250. If I was in Liverpool.. I know.. I'd be away to see a certain HM....

Well in some ways it’s what it is worth to you they are not made anymore so secondhand is the only option I purchased mine a few weeks ago it came without papers but was a known to the AD one owner watch and had just had a full Rolex service which with the known history fully authenticated it .... I paid £3800 so £4250 with full set does not seem out of the way and the prices for these do seem all over the place ...if I had waited I might have saved a bit by picking one up on sales corner but the service is worth £500 so I thought mine a good price ....see if yours has a recent service if it has try the AD at £4000 i think most good AD service there watches before selling but if it has not had one then negotiate hard or maybe wait for another !

Given that HM has two on his website at either £350 or £450 less than the one you’re looking at, a day trip over from NI would still save you money and you’d have 100% confidence in the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Given that HM has two on his website at either £350 or £450 less than the one you’re looking at, a day trip over from NI would still save you money and you’d have 100% confidence in the watch.
    lts not an option for me unfortunately Dave - I'm full time carer at the minute for my wife... so I'm only getting out to the office 3 mornings a week and work the rest from home. Planning a day trip 20 miles up the road hasn't happened for a long time now for us.

Such is life...

Sorry to hear that Johnny, it must be difficult just doing the things that the rest of us take for granted.

Unfortunately I’m at the other end of the country or I’d gladly help out.

A local jeweller has one in his window at £3950 but it’s 39mm.

VERY like my old 9F Seiko in look which I loved (yeah.. I know.. I flipped it!)
    Funnily enough, my 36mm Grand Seiko 9F is the reason I have all but discounted the 36mm Rolex Explorer as a potential purchase. The Explorer is a terrific, classic & well-proportioned watch, but my GS SBGX263 just ticks so many of the same boxes as well (and indeed, better, in some aspects), albeit it’s a champagne dial, not the classic black. Though I have a Rolex Submariner to scratch the black-dial itch. And yet... the Explorer calls - it’s just near perfect. Maybe someday I’ll have both in the watch box.

Good luck with your search - it’s a stone cold classic that you can’t go wrong with - and best wishes with everything else.

Craftsman

My wrist is slightly smaller, 6.75 but I'd still advise going for the 36mm. I'm actually not very keen on the 39mm, it was just right the way it was.

By the way the Explorer 1 is a great watch. I've had mine since last Summer and I've worn it everyday since.

For me it has to be the 36mm, I just sold mine. Watch only for £3100 and have been regretting it ever since! But for a new arrival one of them had to go

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    6.75" wrist and 36mm explorer. Traded a lovely 14270 but know I'll be back for another at some point.

@OP would HM not post to you?
    Last edited by deepreddave; 22nd February 2019 at 10:02.

From this morning’s Friday thread, here’s my 214270 (39mm) on my 6.5” wrist. No problem with the size. Given used prices, I’d say buy new :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Personal preference. I tried both and went 36. I thought the 39 looked a lot bigger as the watch is all dial.

Rolex Explorer – 2002
    [url=https://postimg.cc/image/g7t9dxior/]
    [/url<https://s17.postimg.org/dqhi6nysf/explorer_114270.jpg%5b/img%5d%5b/url>]

A side by side for you.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    A side by side for you.
    Good shot, rhs for the win!

It's such a shame the 39mm loses the fine lugs of the 36mm and veers too much towards the fat lugs of the modern 6 digit sports watches. The 39mm with better proportioned lugs would be almost perfect! Good picture

Journeyman

114270 here...

I've got a 114270 and it's just back from Rolex for a service. I'll try to get a wrist shot. St. James have outdone themselves as it's keep a steady -1 sec/24 hours. These older movements might not be bleeding edge, but they're capable workhorses. I think this model and the 14270 are fast becoming classics.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    It's such a shame the 39mm loses the fine lugs of the 36mm and veers too much towards the fat lugs of the modern 6 digit sports watches. The 39mm with better proportioned lugs would be almost perfect! Good picture
    I'm going to disagree somewhat. I have a 16610 Sub and don't like the maxi cased Subs etc. I'm sensitive to the square look which is not as attractive as previous models. However when the 39mm Explorer arrived, its proportions were indeed altered, but to my eye, not to the same scale of the Subs, SDs GMTs, DDs and OPs.

Side by side, the 39mm does look chunkier, but on the wrist it's very elegant. 36mm is great if your wrist can cope with a smaller watch. I tried a 36mm Alpha Explorer and it was too small.

Still, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm going to disagree somewhat. I have a 16610 Sub and don't like the maxi cased Subs etc. I'm sensitive to the square look which is not as attractive as previous models. However when the 39mm Explorer arrived, its proportions were indeed altered, but to my eye, not to the same scale of the Subs, SDs GMTs, DDs and OPs.

Side by side, the 39mm does look chunkier, but on the wrist it's very elegant. 36mm is great if your wrist can cope with a smaller watch. I tried a 36mm Alpha Explorer and it was too small.

Still, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    There is no substitute for trying one on, I guess I need to when I can find one to try.

I was going to start multi quoting there... but there'll be a flood of them!

Suffice to say, thanks again to those posting.. its VERY helpful. the side by side 36 vs 39 in particular.. the 39 lugs lose the finesse of the 36's shape IMO - but both are fine watches without question.

With thanks to a local TZ'er... I've had a chat on PM about the one that's for sale to me locally that I planned to go see on Monday. He's seen it in person and says that they've had a go at refinishing it and made a bit of a mess! One to avoid.. another case of "box and papers" being the least of your worries!

I do think I'll go anyway because I need to try it on and make my mind up. Once I know its ok for me... I'll not be afraid to try and order over the internet or stick a WTB up here.

Up to this point, I'd tried a Polar Explorer II and Milgauss GV. Both nice... both didn't click with me. Polar is SO similar looking in ways to my co-axial SMP (dot dial, diver look) and the Milgauss, whilst I like, I'm not so sure about those blingy, shiny centre links. That's led me to Explorer (I) or a Datejust.

On the Datejust front, there IS one in a good AD in Belfast - 2001, silver dial, fluted bezel and oyster. Box is there etc for what its worth... but at £3795, I'm not sure if its worth it. https://www.lunns.com/pre~owned-watc...lex/0870500961

I should just back off and stick to what I know! ... but this one's a present from me, to me for an upcoming big birthday. Plenty of time to research it though... so Monday will at least tell me if the Explorer is where I need to focus.

Tried a Speedy Pro this week on the wrist for the 1st time to see if THAT is "the one". Shocked to find... It's not. Not for my wrist anyway... lugs are almost identical to that on a Steinhart Ocean, ie.. flat and long. Doesn't fit me right... (and the tight arse in me can't swallow the fact that I love my old Seiko more and it only cost me £230!)

Don't get me wrong.. the Speedy is GORGEOUS... but I'm not made of money and this price bracket only happens once a decade for me.. hence the painful deliberation!

Anyway, I digress... as usual, TZ-UK will keep me right... nearly 10 years of this caper and still enjoying the hobby as much as ever. Great distraction to the bo***cks of life that comes along...
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 22nd February 2019 at 15:03. Reason: more typos!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by giuliasuper View Post
    These older movements might not be bleeding edge, but they're capable workhorses.
    They’re a bit more than ‘capable workhorses’, they’re exceptionally good. The improvements to the latest movements are marginal, the majority of owners won’t perceive any difference.......it’s not like cars, where the latest version is usually noticably better than its predecessor, watches are totally different.

If I was to use the term ‘capable workhorse’ it wouldn’t apply to any Rolex movement, I’d apply it to the AS movements from the 60s or Seiko 7s26, ‘workhorse’ and Rolex don’t belong in the same sentence.

Ironically, I’ve recently sold my 114270, but it’s a watch I hold in high regard and for me it’s far nicer than the later 39mm replacement.

As with all watches, regulation is key, can’t state that strongly enough.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 28th February 2019 at 10:49.

lts not an option for me unfortunately Dave - I'm full time carer at the minute for my wife... so I'm only getting out to the office 3 mornings a week and work the rest from home. Planning a day trip 20 miles up the road hasn't happened for a long time now for us.

Such is life...
    Hi Johnny,

Sorry to hear about your wife, that must be quite confining for both of you. I would be more than happy to head over to HM's and collect a watch for you if either of the options available is the right one for you.

cheers,
    Simon

Thanks for the replies... I've sent a message off to the seller to confirm re SELs and clasp. If it has both... Then I'm VERY interested. The lug proportions look nicely balanced to me in the 36mm.

I had a GS 9F quartz 36mm. If it wears similar to that, it'll be perfect.

Roll on next week when I can try it on...
    Not a 114720 but here is my Everest 36mm next to my GS SBGX061 which is quoted at 37mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Hi Johnny,

Sorry to hear about your wife, that must be quite confining for both of you. I would be more than happy to head over to HM's and collect a watch for you if either of the options available is the right one for you.

cheers,
    Simon
    Simon

Thankyou so much for the kind offer. I've still got your contact details ok.. and will hang on to them and take you up on that offer some day. Where's closest to you? Liverpool or Wirral?

I'll try a DJ and Explorer locally this coming week. My son (13) is a Milgauss fan.. and I DO like them but do worry that the novelty would wear off.

My wrist varies from 8" to 8.5" and I'm happy wearing my 36mm 1016.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    Wow... That's lovely Eddie. I need to go read... But what year is that? Looks like a plexi crystal with that soft hue.

Wow... That's lovely Eddie. I need to go read... But what year is that? Looks like a plexi crystal with that soft hue.
    The serial number dates it to 1967/68 and yes, it is plexi.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Simon

Thankyou so much for the kind offer. I've still got your contact details ok.. and will hang on to them and take you up on that offer some day. Where's closest to you? Liverpool or Wirral?

I'll try a DJ and Explorer locally this coming week. My son (13) is a Milgauss fan.. and I DO like them but do worry that the novelty would wear off.
    No problem Johnny, its the least I can do. Chester is closest, otherwise Wirral or Liverpool are ok but I guess HM can move the watch to Chester? Whatever works for you. I share your concern on the Milgauss, seems hard to go past an EX1 as Eddies post above shows.

Eddie
    That is simply superb. Shame the prices are so strong!

Master
    Blog Entries
    A side by side for you.

That image pretty much sums it up, I thought the 39 looked huge when I was trying both on and chose the 36. But for those with big wrists or who like big watches it’s a good choice. Shame they didn’t keep both sizes in production as they do with other models.
    Last edited by Montello; 24th February 2019 at 09:50.

Eddie
    That is stunning, Eddie!

Well, it just goes to show you.. you shouldn't ever buy a watch blind off the internet. Called into the local dealers and tried the 36mm Explorer and a 36mm Datejust.

Just not for me at all.. probably not helped by the fact I've been wearing my SMP co-axial for most of the past week... the Explorer, whilst a lovely thing... was too small on my wrist.

Seems my sweet spot is 39-41mm.

Back to the drawing board... (Milgauss/Explorer II... or wise up and settle myself with what I've got already!)

You could add the latest air king to that list although it’s basically an overprinted Explorer dial in a Milgauss case.

Well, my search is over.... for now.

Decided to go 39mm. Actually..... 39.4mm

I'll keep trying on random Rolexes when they come and go in local stock, but for now, I'm enjoying THIS!

Nice choice - i can’t seem to get GS out of my was at the mo.... did you go new or find it here/online somewhere?

you have to try them on if possible. the 39mm looks bigger in the side by side picture, but in real life it's a very elegant, refined watch and for me the new lumed arabics make it more low key and original-looking. if you're used to a 42mm sk007 it will not feel like a big watch at all.
    i've owned both, they both worked fine on my 7 inch wrist. i could be happy with either.

edit: oops sorry didnt see the lovely GS. good choice, congratulations!
    Last edited by robinsongreen68; 8th March 2019 at 19:31.

Are the GS's index markers concave? If so, interesting design element!

Back on the subject of Explorers, what I'd forgotten about was my amazement at how slim the 39mm wears. Especially if you've been used to divers and such.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Nice choice - i can’t seem to get GS out of my was at the mo.... did you go new or find it here/online somewhere?

On SC - its been round 3 previous members from new in 2018! They do seem to lose an initial % of value, so its always good value to get a clean one here I think. Last one I had was the 9F quartz. Those wear perfectly on the wrist. This one is chunkier... but a REALLY beautifully finished piece.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Are the GS's index markers concave? If so, interesting design element!

Back on the subject of Explorers, what I'd forgotten about was my amazement at how slim the 39mm wears. Especially if you've been used to divers and such.
    I must get the macro tubes out in daylight. I'm not sure to be honest - the sapphire is slightly domed which could be at play here, but interestingly, the index markers have a stripe of white enamel in the centre of them. Same with the hour and minute hands.

Lovely view of the movement through the back... and theres a REALLY subtle etched GS logo on the glass back.