closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a name for this style of case?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I think as per the previous reply the Citizen would seem to be your best bet for a similar type watch. Citizen also have a JDM similar watch with a green dial as well as black dial. Not sure if its still in production but a few of the online sellers (Chino, Shoppinginjapan) may have it.

***edit***

Other than that perhaps CWC G10 which is obviously a lot slimmer. Timefactors have a military watch with a handwind movement not sure if it has the same type of crown guard you are looking for though.
    Thanks Robert. I already have the 'Mears '18' which I am wearing right now, so maybe I need to save some cash and enjoy what I already have!

Quote Originally Posted by Eski View Post
    Firstly, thank you for your measured input. I hear you. Genuinely.

However (and in the spirit of kicking back)..

Who's sulking?! Not me. Yeah, I'm kicking back. For sure.

And I'm not yours or anybody's boy, thanks!

And why should newcomers be 'tested'? Is this a playground or something??!

Anyway, I didn't post this thread for a fight. Your 'boy' Der Amf' has apparently posted here only to try to frustrate (why else offer that he knows the answer to my question but not post it? childish). Like I said, playground mentality. I'm a grown man, family, business etc. Got no time for man-children. Banter is all good, but what I've generally seen so far I don't class as such.

And no, I really don't think they would say a word to my face. It's a sad fact of online communities. People get brave from the safety of their keyboards. It's just not helpful.

Like I said, what's with the testing stuff??
    It's just life. And it IS just banter.
    I know fine well there are bullies on this forum. But they only bully the people who rise to them, and by rising to them l mean doing what you're doing .
    As for the saying it to your face, well l hear things a thousand times blunter and a thousand times stronger said to people's face every hour l spend at work.
    And l love it. It makes me laugh. And if it gets out of hand it's usually resolved very swiftly and simply. Unless the person on the receiving end decides to sulk - in which case he immediately becomes the "soft lad".
    It's not terribly "pc" but it's real. Grown up banter at its best should always be a bit childish, or else we take ourselves and each other too seriously.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    It's just life. And it IS just banter.
    I know fine well there are bullies on this forum. But they only bully the people who rise to them, and by rising to them l mean doing what you're doing .
    As for the saying it to your face, well l hear things a thousand times blunter and a thousand times stronger said to people's face every hour l spend at work.
    And l love it. It makes me laugh. And if it gets out of hand it's usually resolved very swiftly and simply. Unless the person on the receiving end decides to sulk - in which case he immediately becomes the "soft lad".
    It's not terribly "pc" but it's real. Grown up banter at its best should always be a bit childish, or else we take ourselves and each other too seriously.
    Again, I hear you. My environment has an abundance of it. I suppose it's difficult to define, and especially so with people you've never previously interacted with.

What I do know is that the 'input' I got yesterday wasn't banter. I'm not sure what it was, but it wasn't banter. For a start, banter has to have a trace of humour, I think!

Anyway, appreciate your input my friend.

Oh, and to acknowledge one of your points better, I should say I'm a big big fan of blunt and strong. It's pretentious and sanctimonious I have a problem with!
    Last edited by Eski; 21st February 2019 at 20:06.

"pretentious and sanctimonious"

Funny.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Is there a name for this style of case?

I get what your asking as in oyster style case but the watch you have used as an example is a bit niche and not really a brand well known on here.. to my eyes it’s a chunky case that could do with better finishing.
    Also to put it bluntly you have asked a weird question to start off - with no definitive answer, this was asking for a ribbing and you just have to accept it and go along with it, try and fight it and your going in deeper, this forum has no mods per se so your out on your own if you act the village idiot, thicken up your skin, take it on the chin and move on, it’s not hard here but really good believe it or not, some right cretins still join in even though no one likes them!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 22nd February 2019 at 01:37.

I came to this forum to talk about watches (strange but true) and generally share my hobby of collecting watches.

I put a fair bit of effort into introducing myself on an 'intro' thread at the suggestion of some very nice members here, sharing my watch collection with some pics as well.

I posted a thread about 'sales speak' which I thought was both harmless and light-hearted, and maybe a platform for getting to know a few people here. But it got hijacked by a couple of absolute tw@ts who, I'm guessing, didn't really have a problem with the thread topic, but moreover had a problem with a 'newbie' posting a thread. Tribal, territorial imho.

Anyway, that thread got deleted because I did 'kick back' and in the end it was all a bit negative. Good deletion imho, although regrettable.

Anyway, today I played it safe. Just a question I've had for a while now with regards my favourite case/crown guard style. But this too has been hijacked by members who think I only posted to give them a platform to take the p*ss.

SO, I'm a little frustrated with the overall reading age here at present. Sorry if that seems humourless.
    I told you last time ignore them.
    Literally...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    I miss Tilly

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    I miss Tilly
    Some stars burn too bright

Swooping crown guards?

OP, you’re conflating case shape and crown guard style, which are generally seen as two distinct elements that may be combined in differing combinations, so the best way to describe any such watch case - should you need to - might be “x type of case with y type of crown guards”. Of course the majority of case types* don’t lend themselves to crown guards, which are more typically seen on round/cushion cases.

Having said all that, “chunk” seems to me a good response, too 😜

*by category; by volume most will be round.
    Last edited by JGJG; 22nd February 2019 at 09:11.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    ..you have asked a weird question to start off - with no definitive answer, this was asking for a ribbing and you just have to accept it and go along with it, try and fight it and your going in deeper, this forum has no mods per se so your out on your own if you act the village idiot..'
    To be fair, I did not know that my question had no definitive answer until I asked it, unless of course you are implying that only watch experts should post here! I know that there are all sorts of terms within the horological world, so wondered if there was a term for this type of design that might help me going forward. I don't think it's therefore fair to say that I should know the answer before asking the question, or that I'm a 'village idiot' for not having dedicated more of my life to watches so I know the likely answers to everything watch related!!

Anyway, I appreciate the sentiment of your earlier reply, and will certainly bare your advice in mind with regards the environment which is this forum.
    Last edited by Eski; 22nd February 2019 at 16:42.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Swooping crown guards?
    'Sweeping', numbnuts. Put your glasses on.
    Last edited by Eski; 22nd February 2019 at 16:42.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    OP, you’re conflating case shape and crown guard style, which are generally seen as two distinct elements that may be combined in differing combinations, so the best way to describe any such watch case - should you need to - might be “x type of case with y type of crown guards”. Of course the majority of case types* don’t lend themselves to crown guards, which are more typically seen on round/cushion cases.

Having said all that, “chunk” seems to me a good response, too 

*by category; by volume most will be round.
    I'm not sure I'm 'conflating' to be fair. I think what I've described is pretty clear - when the side of the case (not lugs) curves into the crown guard as opposed to getting to a point where there's a defined angular change of direction, ie the side of the guard. I even posted pictorial examples!!

Fair shout re chunk. Haha. I think some of the mechanicals I see here look overly feminine and a bit pretentious. I guess it's all subjective.

Anyway, thanks for your post. In terms of some the other retarded posts seen on this thread, your input is appreciated. Cheers.

Well aren't you the little charmer.

He has chosen to learn the hard way....

Banned
    Just light-hearted my friend. I figured if you were posting in order to take the pee a little it's all good, right?!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    He has chosen to learn the hard way....
    Yeah I always tend to Rolfe. One of my many faults.

'Round, with crown guard' describes the case adequately.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    'Round, with crown guard' describes the case adequately.
    No it doesn't. Not even close. Are you seriously saying you see no difference between a caseline that curves gently up towards the crown guard and one where the guard suddenly starts at a new angle??

There might or might not be a name for this, but to say that 'round with a crown guard' is an adequate description for all is not supportable.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Jesus.....
    What's your thoughts mate?

Blog Entries
    What's your thoughts mate?
    Think he means only Jesus has the answer to this case shape mystery

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Think he means only Jesus has the answer to this case shape mystery

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Haha. Has he been on the forum lately?

This is not the name (case) you are looking for!

Jesus He knows me and He knows I'm right, I've been talking to Jesus all my life...

Haha. Has he been on the forum lately?
    He owns the forum.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Peter your mistaking Jesus with God :).

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    He owns the forum.
    He is the law!

n2
    Last edited by number2; 22nd February 2019 at 20:00.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Did you mean that, or was it 'banter?'

Sent from my Lenovo A1010a20 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Please someone kill Me now!!!! Can this post be locked or something?

Quote Originally Posted by bandylegss View Post
    Peter your mistaking Jesus with God :).

Paul.
    Sorry Paul, you're quite right. For a moment I was thinking about the Holy Trinity; Sir Geoff Boycott, Dicky Bird and Eddie Platts.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Did you mean that, or was it 'banter?'

Sent from my Lenovo A1010a20 using Tapatalk
    Banter. Apparently that's the main currency here.

My swooping friend was obviously joining the game, so when you join the game, you're fair game,right?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Eski; 22nd February 2019 at 21:53.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Please someone kill Me now!!!! Can this post be locked or something?
    Just don't click on it. Easy solution.

Master
    Fair play to you for sticking around.

I have no idea what this style of case is called and I really don't care tbh.
    After much debate and ribbing, I think it should be named after you Eski.
    First there was the Buckley dial now there's the Eski watch case.

Master
    Eski

To be fair I think you were a bit harsh on the people who replied early - you're always going to get some light-hearted replies to serious questions.

I appreciate that perhaps your reaction was caused by what happened on another thread - but no-doubt there's a number of people on this one who don't know about that - so you come across as looking bad.

Your question is a fair one - and I'm sorry I don't know the answer to it.

I thought your other thread was quite fun - and its a shame what happened to it - 50 posts in 2 months didn't really seem that excessive to me.

I'm not sure why some people seem to have a axe to grind with you - perhaps they did have genuine concerns about your motives, and where worried about the Forum, but to me it harmed the forum as it made it feel unpleasant - I would have thought the 'Report Post' button was a better way of dealing with it.

I just hope this thread will now take a turn for the better.

Craftsman
    I dont think there is, but I thought I'd ask here seeing as collective TZ horological knowledge is considerable.

I really like the cases where the case side 'sweeps' into the crown guard in a continuous flow.

The two images I've posted here are of watches i own that do this. Other examples are the Rolex Explorer ii, loads of Breitlings, and many others.

And if there isn't a term for this style, I'd be very grateful to receive some suggestions for a watch that has this case/guard style, ideally isn't too thick or large, and doesn't have a dive bezel.

And if it was a quartz that would be even better, although I'm more and more open to trying again with mechanicals, in the hope I can find one that can be reasonably consistent as a timekeeper.

Thanks in advance for any help received on this query.

Nice watch , reminds me of a thicker version of my Tag 2000

I’ll have a butchas next time I come across a dealer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Eski

To be fair I think you were a bit harsh on the people who replied early - you're always going to get some light-hearted replies to serious questions.

I appreciate that perhaps your reaction was caused by what happened on another thread - but no-doubt there's a number of people on this one who don't know about that - so you come across as looking bad.

Your question is a fair one - and I'm sorry I don't know the answer to it.

I thought your other thread was quite fun - and its a shame what happened to it - 50 posts in 2 months didn't really seem that excessive to me.

I'm not sure why some people seem to have a axe to grind with you - perhaps they did have genuine concerns about your motives, and where worried about the Forum, but to me it harmed the forum as it made it feel unpleasant - I would have thought the 'Report Post' button was a better way of dealing with it.

I just hope this thread will now take a turn for the better.
    Thank you so much for your balanced and very reasonable post.

I think you're absolutely right that, having had my previous post 'hijacked' by a few childish posters I've probably been a little in siege mode when someone posts something stupid.

For the record I'm not against a little 'stupid', but the amount of stupid was far outweighing the sensible posts in my estimation. It has felt tiresome when my aim in joining this forum was primarily to share my interest in watches.

Anyway, for the avoidance of doubt, I extend my genuine apologies to anyone here who maybe got a level of reply that was borne out of an already established dynamic.

For the record I really don't think Raffe, Der Amf, Papa something etc were looking to engage in banter. They were just being territorial in my opinion. Maybe I made them feel uncomfortable in some way.

Anyway, I'm not a grudge holder. If the above people wish to modify their approach towards me going forward, I will reciprocate. And if they carry on being d*cks I'll return fire! Up to them. No big deal either way.

Thanks again for taking the time to post. Appreciated.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    Fair play to you for sticking around.

I have no idea what this style of case is called and I really don't care tbh.
    After much debate and ribbing, I think it should be named after you Eski.
    First there was the Buckley dial now there's the Eski watch case.
    I'm honoured :)

Thank you so much for your balanced and very reasonable post.

I think you're absolutely right that, having had my previous post 'hijacked' by a few childish posters I've probably been a little in siege mode when someone posts something stupid.

For the record I'm not against a little 'stupid', but the amount of stupid was far outweighing the sensible posts in my estimation. It has felt tiresome when my aim in joining this forum was primarily to share my interest in watches.

Anyway, for the avoidance of doubt, I extend my genuine apologies to anyone here who maybe got a level of reply that was borne out of an already established dynamic.

For the record I really don't think Raffe, Der Amf, Papa something etc were looking to engage in banter. They were just being territorial in my opinion. Maybe I made them feel uncomfortable in some way.

Anyway, I'm not a grudge holder. If the above people wish to modify their approach towards me going forward, I will reciprocate. And if they carry on being d*cks I'll return fire! Up to them. No big deal either way.

Thanks again for taking the time to post. Appreciated.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Nice watch , reminds me of a thicker version of my Tag 2000

I’ll have a butchas next time I come across a dealer.
    Cheers buddy. I think they're nice watches. Yes it's a reasonably 'chunky' piece, but wears smaller than many dive watches I've had.

They are far cheaper in the US, so a decent used one from WUS can be a good way to try one at not too much of a cost. There's a bunch of different face colours, titanium versions, even carbon!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    **I've edited this post just in case I've misinterpreted the poster's intention.

Remainder of original response:

..great track and great dance routine. Love it.

10CC were one of my parents'most played bands.

Last edited by Eski; 22nd February 2019 at 23:11.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Eski your recent threads/posts have, as commented, been Tilly-eski. Unfortunately, your method of 'kicking back' will only serve to encourage 'more of the same' with regard to members responses. Your choice.
    Last edited by Suds; 22nd February 2019 at 23:09.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Eski your recent threads have, as commented, been Tilly-eski. Unfortunately, your method of 'kicking back' will only serve to encourage 'more of the same' with regard to members responses. Your choice.
    Understood and noted sir.

No idea who Tilly is btw. Assuming someone who had quite a few interesting discussions here.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Understood and noted sir.

No idea who Tilly is btw. Assuming someone who had quite a few interesting discussions here.

Tilly was someone who deliberately joined to make inflammatory posts - as in troll

Banned
    Tilly was someone who deliberately joined to make inflammatory posts - as in troll
    I see. I think it would be harsh, and not very intuitive, to label myself as similar.

Have you seen my intro page thread? I put alot of effort into that!

Furthermore, I've been absolutely upbeat and respectful to everyone here, notwithstanding the idiots who apparently feel I've 'stepped on their turf', lol.

I am absolutely aware that I don't have much middle distance. It's my continual mission to develop some.

Imho you're either a decent person worthy of my time, patience and kindness, or you're breathing perfectly good air that would be better used by someone else.

Last edited by Eski; 22nd February 2019 at 23:23.

Master
    Eski your recent threads/posts have, as commented, been Tilly-eski. Unfortunately, your method of 'kicking back' will only serve to encourage 'more of the same' with regard to members responses. Your choice.
    To be fair I haven't seen Eski as acting a Troll - his thread that got deleted about 'sales corner speak' was quite amusing - and initially well received. It went pear-shaped - but that wasn't his fault

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    To be fair I haven't seen Eski as acting a Troll - his thread that got deleted about 'sales corner speak' was quite amusing - and initially well received. It went pear-shaped - but that wasn't his fault
    Personally, when it comes to a bit of banter, I'm with Ronald McDonald ( I'm loving it ) but sometimes I think it's best to be more measured in responding to replies. I'm new to this forum, but have a lot of experience elsewhere - new members always have a smoother ride if they 'earn their stripes' (just a reality of forum life imo)

Grand Master
    I see. I think it would be harsh, and not very intuitive, to label myself as similar.

Have you seen my intro page thread? I put alot of effort into that!

Furthermore, I've been absolutely upbeat and respectful to everyone here, notwithstanding the idiots who apparently feel I've 'stepped on their turf', lol.

I am absolutely aware that I don't have much middle distance. It's my continual mission to develop some.

Imho you're either a decent person worthy of my time, patience and kindness, or you're breathing perfectly good air that would be better used by someone else.

What I can’t understand is why folks like you don’t simply join the forum, start to get involved in discussions, and don’t make waves! This forum has its virtues and its failings, but that’s how it is.

Try reading this post back to yourself, that last paragraph about breathing perfectly good air is absolute bollocks. You seem determined to dig yourself into a deeper hole then complain that you’ve been unfairly treated.

Banned
    Personally, when it comes to a bit of banter, I'm with Ronald McDonald ( I'm loving it ) but sometimes I think it's best to be more measured in responding to replies. I'm new to this forum, but have a lot of experience elsewhere - new members always have a smoother ride if they 'earn their stripes' (just a reality of forum life imo)
    Fair shout mate. However, I'm really not bothered if the local pond life want to do their best. It's actually quite entertaining to see how hard they try.

I am here primarily to chat with adults who like watches. If there's a few irritating kids whizzing around then I can handle it!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    What I can’t understand is why folks like you don’t simply join the forum, start to get involved in discussions, and don’t make waves! This forum has its virtues and its failings, but that’s how it is.

Try reading this post back to yourself, that last paragraph about breathing perfectly good air is absolute bollocks. You seem determined to dig yourself into a deeper hole then complain that you’ve been unfairly treated.
    I absolutely joined this forum and just got involved with discussions. Check my post history.

This forum patently has a few members who got bullied at school. Isn't it obvious to you that there are a few posters here who make it their mission to disrupt?

You can view these people as you choose, and so can I. I've read all my posts back. I stand by what I've said.

Thanks for your input.

Craftsman
    I think it's everyday living on a forum that some people will take your post seriously, others won't. Ignore those that don't and thank those that do. If you don't, their friends come out to play.