closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a name for this style of case?

Banned

Is there a name for this style of case?

I dont think there is, but I thought I'd ask here seeing as collective TZ horological knowledge is considerable.

I really like the cases where the case side 'sweeps' into the crown guard in a continuous flow.

The two images I've posted here are of watches i own that do this. Other examples are the Rolex Explorer ii, loads of Breitlings, and many others.

And if there isn't a term for this style, I'd be very grateful to receive some suggestions for a watch that has this case/guard style, ideally isn't too thick or large, and doesn't have a dive bezel.

And if it was a quartz that would be even better, although I'm more and more open to trying again with mechanicals, in the hope I can find one that can be reasonably consistent as a timekeeper.

Thanks in advance for any help received on this query.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Chunk?

Slab.

Banned
    Yeah, nice one guys. Really witty.

That is known as the Beef Bayonet on account of the way the crown seems to slide into the crown guards.

It's a good thing it doesn't have sword hands...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Toblerone case.

Nut...

Banned
    Haha. Prepubescent humour was exactly what I was hoping for. Cheers lads. Credit to the forum.

Master
    Donut case

Banned
    With all due respect chaps, this was meant to be a serious question thread, and not for those who are bored/jobless to pass the time with 'humourous' posts. I'd be massively grateful if you could just not bother posting if you don't have anything sensible to post. Thanks

Victorinox refer to it as ‘round’

/end of thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Victorinox refer to it as ‘round’

/end of thread

I asked a serious question here, and all I've got is idiots who think they're funny, but aren't.

Who is this guy?

I do like a bold prediction: banned by the end of the school term.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Who is this guy?

I do like a bold prediction: banned by the end of the school term.
    Don't worry, I'll be banning myself. Sadly all I've got since posting here since last weekend is aggravation from online loudmouths. I haven't initiated a problem with anyone directly, and have only posted in a positive way. What I've received in return is online bullying (likely from inadequate types who wouldn't do the same face to face), and having my threads hijacked.

I took the time to post an intro thread and introduce myself, but sadly there appears to be too many gobsh*tes here who think they're funny and probably spend an unhealthy amount of time online.

So, don't worry, I'm gone. Will find a more mature forum to chat about my watch hobby.

Rolex '59 style?

You're right, there isn't.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Rolex '59 style?

You're right, there isn't.

R
    Thanks. Genuinely appreciate the reply

Oh no. Please don't go. Etc.

Banned
    Oh no. Please don't go. Etc.
    The saddest part (for you) is that you don't seem to acknowledge or care that this fairly pathetic online gang mentality (and from a bunch of watch nerds, lol) just drives new members away. No respect or welcome from the likes of yourself or your fellow comedians.

You would do well to grow up. Try to be a little nicer to new members.

Banned
    Another thread hijacked by a bunch of idiots. What a great forum.

What happened my PM? It didn't come through.

Banned

What happened my PM? It didn't come through.
    Yeah, I did consider asking you privately, out of general respect to you, why you apparently are so intent on being such a d*ck, but then decided it wasn't really worth asking.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

This is the worst flounce ever.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Crikey, this has escalated!, why don't we all relax with a cuppa (mine is a macha) and unwind.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Crikey, this has escalated!, why don't we all relax with a cuppa (mine is a macha) and unwind.

mike
    Well that's what happens when a humourless "newbie" come back to say hello. Overreaction is the order of the day.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post

mike
    Sadly, yes it has. A cuppa sounds like a good idea.

So, Papa, how did you become an authority on 'flouncing'? How many years practice did it take to learn everything you know?

Tell you what, if I promise not to return to this thread, will you keep your promise too?

Banned
    Well that's what happens when a humourless "newbie" come back to say hello. Overreaction is the order of the day.
    That's what happens when a new member posts a thread that is clearly intended as a genuine watch question, only to have it hijacked by existing members who lack the maturity to do the right thing, ie be welcoming rather than sarcastic.

And for your information, the term 'newbie' is generally seen as a derogatory term, implying someone who knows very little about the core topic. Well done again.

- - - Updated - - -

Tell you what, if I promise not to return to this thread, will you keep your promise too?
    Mate, you're an idiot. Jog on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eski View Post
    With all due respect chaps, this was meant to be a serious question thread, and not for those who are bored/jobless to pass the time with 'humourous' posts. I'd be massively grateful if you could just not bother posting if you don't have anything sensible to post. Thanks
    I asked a serious question here, and all I've got is idiots who think they're funny, but aren't.
    Don't worry, I'll be banning myself. Sadly all I've got since posting here since last weekend is aggravation from online loudmouths. I haven't initiated a problem with anyone directly, and have only posted in a positive way. What I've received in return is online bullying (likely from inadequate types who wouldn't do the same face to face), and having my threads hijacked.

I took the time to post an intro thread and introduce myself, but sadly there appears to be too many gobsh*tes here who think they're funny and probably spend an unhealthy amount of time online.

So, don't worry, I'm gone. Will find a more mature forum to chat about my watch hobby.
    The saddest part (for you) is that you don't seem to acknowledge or care that this fairly pathetic online gang mentality (and from a bunch of watch nerds, lol) just drives new members away. No respect or welcome from the likes of yourself or your fellow comedians.

You would do well to grow up. Try to be a little nicer to new members.
    Another thread hijacked by a bunch of idiots. What a great forum.
    Yeah, I did consider asking you privately, out of general respect to you, why you apparently are so intent on being such a d*ck, but then decided it wasn't really worth asking.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
    Sadly, yes it has. A cuppa sounds like a good idea.

So, Papa, how did you become an authority on 'flouncing'? How many years practice did it take to learn everything you know?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Haha. Sticking up for your online mate are you?! Haha. Nice action. Scary to be accosted by a bunch of watch nerds

Blog Entries
    Looks like a mono bloc tonneau shaped case from the angle of the OPs pic

Kind of like the Ray mears citizen

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 21st February 2019 at 16:26.

"Flounce bingo" priceless

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    … tonneau shaped case?

Modified monnin?

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Looks like a mono bloc tonneau shaped case from the angle of the OPs pic

Kind of like the Ray mears citizen

It's the unofficially titled 'Ray Mears 2018'

Master
    There is no "official" name for that kind of case. It's just round case with large crownguards. Every Tom,Dick and Harry, from Timex, Citizen, Marathon to high end brands produces similar styled watches .

If you are to look for similar style case, look for "field watch". Closest match.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    There is no "official" name for that kind of case. It's just round case with large crownguards. Every Tom,Dick and Harry, from Timex, Citizen, Marathon to high end brands produces similar styled watches .

If you are to look for similar style case, look for "field watch". Closest match.
    Thanks for your reply. However, I have watches that have crown guards that are apparently welded on to the case as they sit at a sharp angle to the case. What I'm referring to is a case that curves into the crown guards, as per my examples at the beginning of this thread.

Anyway, appreciate the input. I think I've established that there isn't a term for this style. Just a case of finding a round case which incorporates this style.

Master
    The best quality watches with this kind of case are Ray Mears and (vaguely) Marathon GSAR.

Marathon has bezel but if you find one buy it. Built like a tank + tritium tubes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    The best quality watches with this kind of case are Ray Mears and (vaguely) Marathon GSAR.

Marathon has bezel but if you find one buy it. Built like a tank + tritium tubes.
    The GSAR in black is very very nice to my eye.

There is a correct term for 'that' smooth sweep into crown guards and lugs, but since no one ever uses it, it's not worth knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    There is a correct term for 'that' smooth sweep into crown guards and lugs, but since no one ever uses it, it's not worth knowing.
    Apparently, invented by none other than Rolex.
    http://bezelandbarrel.com/a-closer-l...-crown-guards/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Would you mind sharing said term please?

Eski... seriously - grow a thicker skin.

Earlier you state your belief that the people making the comments that apparently wounded you so gravely wouldn't do it to your face.
    I think they would.
    What l do wonder is that, if they did, would your reaction be as over the top as it is online?

This forum is a great place. There are great people on it and there are complete pr##ks - just like the real world.

Newcomers get tested. I know l did. Be sure to stand your ground and kick back a little, but "don't sulk boy. For God's sake. Has matron seen those boils?".

Craftsman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Eski... seriously - grow a thicker skin.

Earlier you state your belief that the people making the comments that apparently wounded you so gravely wouldn't do it to your face.
    I think they would.
    What l do wonder is that, if they did, would your reaction be as over the top as it is online?

This forum is a great place. There are great people on it and there are complete pr##ks - just like the real world.

Newcomers get tested. I know l did. Be sure to stand your ground and kick back a little, but "don't sulk boy. For God's sake. Has matron seen those boils?".
    Firstly, thank you for your measured input. I hear you. Genuinely.

However (and in the spirit of kicking back)..

Who's sulking?! Not me. Yeah, I'm kicking back. For sure.

And I'm not yours or anybody's boy, thanks!

And why should newcomers be 'tested'? Is this a playground or something??!

Anyway, I didn't post this thread for a fight. Your 'boy' Der Amf' has apparently posted here only to try to frustrate (why else offer that he knows the answer to my question but not post it? childish). Like I said, playground mentality. I'm a grown man, family, business etc. Got no time for man-children. Banter is all good, but what I've generally seen so far I don't class as such.

And no, I really don't think they would say a word to my face. It's a sad fact of online communities. People get brave from the safety of their keyboards. It's just not helpful.

Like I said, what's with the testing stuff??

How's the race to 50 going?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Ok ok tonneau-esque, it has been described that shape elsewhere.....

Banned
    I came to this forum to talk about watches (strange but true) and generally share my hobby of collecting watches.

I put a fair bit of effort into introducing myself on an 'intro' thread at the suggestion of some very nice members here, sharing my watch collection with some pics as well.

I posted a thread about 'sales speak' which I thought was both harmless and light-hearted, and maybe a platform for getting to know a few people here. But it got hijacked by a couple of absolute tw@ts who, I'm guessing, didn't really have a problem with the thread topic, but moreover had a problem with a 'newbie' posting a thread. Tribal, territorial imho.

Anyway, that thread got deleted because I did 'kick back' and in the end it was all a bit negative. Good deletion imho, although regrettable.

Anyway, today I played it safe. Just a question I've had for a while now with regards my favourite case/crown guard style. But this too has been hijacked by members who think I only posted to give them a platform to take the p*ss.

SO, I'm a little frustrated with the overall reading age here at present. Sorry if that seems humourless.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    How's the race to 50 going?
    Sorry to undermine your only joke my friend, but I already have access to the sales forum. Was a little surprised to see lots of things other than watches for sale. No harm in it for sure, but not interesting to me.

I know you prefer to think that I'm posting here because I just can't wait to see the sales forum, but that's just not the case, lol. Sorry to disappoint you.

I did buy a watch today though. New. From a retailer. The Citizen 0217-02e, which I saw posted in a thread here.

Have you had a good day in the woods?

Oh, and a I have a favour to ask. Would you mind changing your avatar? Breaking Bad is one of my all time favourite shows, yet I'm now associating it with a small minded online irritant. Thanks in advance my friend!
    Last edited by Eski; 21st February 2019 at 19:40.

I think as per the previous reply the Citizen would seem to be your best bet for a similar type watch. Citizen also have a JDM similar watch with a green dial as well as black dial. Not sure if its still in production but a few of the online sellers (Chino, Shoppinginjapan) may have it.

***edit***

Other than that perhaps CWC G10 which is obviously a lot slimmer. Timefactors have a military watch with a handwind movement not sure if it has the same type of crown guard you are looking for though.