closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watchfinder Video

Craftsman

Watchfinder Video

I usually like their videos (and the bloke that narrates them) but they've kind of lost a bit of credibility from this latest one as far as i'm concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ6CCZvKJBc

I'm no Rolex fanboy but are these seriously alternatives to a Sub? I guess they're just trying to flog watches but what's this all about?

Also that Bremont. Shejus. Not that easy on the eye is it? Saying that i guess it's mother probably loves it...

If you're going to attack advertising for advertising things, you've a long road ahead of you.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If you're going to attack advertising for advertising things, you've a long road ahead of you.
    Fair enough, good point.

Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    I guess they're just trying to flog watches...
    Bingo.

Good production on the vids though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Bingo.

Good production on the vids though.
    I really like their videos. But i guess i've been really naive in this post, sorry.

They are trying to flog watches but I think the watches chosen are alternatives to a sub.
    They are dressy divers. IMO that is what the Submariner has become.
    I think the IWC is a lovely watch and would rather have one over a sub any day.

Watchfinder and IWC have the same owners now, yes? They've carefully slipped their own Sub-substitute in between two from more unusual brands.

Good point, Didn’t think of that!

Craftsman
    Of course i forgot about that. Richemont isn't it?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Watchfinder and IWC have the same owners now, yes? They've carefully slipped their own Sub-substitute in between two from more unusual brands.
    Yes richetmont group own several major brands iwc, Cartier, Jaeger, Lange, Montblanc, Panerai and Baume & Mercier and VC

Last year they bought 200m back of their own stock from ADs presumably to peddle most of it slightly discounted via WF

Good business sense for them. They sell to an AD at 50% of retail on average. Then try and sell through WF at 90% on the premise of giving customers a good deal.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    Yes richetmont group own several major brands iwc, Cartier, Jaeger, Lange, Montblanc, Panerai and Baume & Mercier and VC

Last year they bought 200m back of their own stock from ADs presumably to peddle most of it slightly discounted via WF

Good business sense for them. They sell to an AD at 50% of retail on average. Then try and sell through WF at 90% on the premise of giving customers a good deal.
    Crikey that's interesting. I feel even more of a dick now as i bought a Seamaster from them a few years back , thinking at the time i was getting a good deal! Still have the watch though which i love and will never sell.

Having in previous videos co-opted Rolex's prestige to build their own brand, they're now turning the association they've created in people's minds to transfer prestige onto their own watches' less popular ranges.

Master
    Doesn’t necessarily mean you should avoid them, they provide probably a quite reliable service but are pretty overpriced.

I find it quite amazing that they are even peddling SS Datejusts for above RRP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Crikey that's interesting. I feel even more of a dick now as i bought a Seamaster from them a few years back , thinking at the time i was getting a good deal! Still have the watch though which i love and will never sell.
    They only acquired WF last year. So they would of have bought that off somebody trading up most probably.

A lot of WF stock is from the trading up market, it’s just the new pieces with manufacturing warranty you gotta look out for.

I bought a IWC Pilot chrono in December and got a better discount from an AD for a new one, compared to a pre-owned on WF.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Doesn’t necessarily mean you should avoid them, they provide probably a quite reliable service but are pretty overpriced.

I find it quite amazing that they are even peddling SS Datejusts for above RRP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah i guess. The watch was / is in good nick and had to go back once for a new bezel so i guess i had my money's worth.

I didnt mind the video,gives you a chance to look at other brands in a bit more detail,whats wrong with that?

Master
    I suspect Watchfinder won’t be pushing Rolex quite so hard; I assume the aim of Richemont is to provide an outlet for their own stuff. They could also start pushing factory guaranteed second-hand watches from their brands. If that raised used prices, it would give a boost to new sales.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    I didnt mind the video,gives you a chance to look at other brands in a bit more detail,whats wrong with that?
    Nothing Peter. Sorry about that.

Master
    That Maxi Marine is a lovely piece. Would love to own an example one day.

Sent from my Lenovo A1010a20 using Tapatalk

Nothing Peter. Sorry about that.
    no need to apologise ,its a forum and we all have opinions which is what makes it great

Craftsman
    no need to apologise ,its a forum and we all have opinions which is what makes it great
    Thanks Peter i really appreciate it. I stuck my neck out earlier and to be honest i wish i hadn't as ive been flamed (deservedly so).

We have all been there,your skin will get thicker.....

Thanks Peter i really appreciate it. I stuck my neck out earlier and to be honest i wish i hadn't as ive been flamed (deservedly so).
    I don’t know why you feel that way, you’ve posted a video of a watch on a watch forum. Nothing wrong with that.

As to the video, great photography but terrible narrative, I just couldn’t listen to him!

Craftsman
    We have all been there,your skin will get thicker.....
    Cheers guys. Just feel a bit stupid in many ways as i'm an experienced collector and should have known better!

Craftsman
    Wouldn’t worry. For some reason watchfinder videos always strike a chord on here. Adds to the debate though.

Despite all the criticism of WF if you’re looking for a scare piece or an older model they do provide a reasonable service with peace of mind if anything goes wrong.

Craftsman
    Thanks mate, appreciate it.

Blog Entries
    Hey. Thanks for posting. It does give some alternates to the Sub.

Craftsman
    Cheers Guys. I love this forum!

Master
    Video just looks like a shameless plug for themselves if you ask me, I don’t really see that they could be considered comparable/alternatives to submariners but people who follow them will listen and probably purchase

Not sure why everything that Watchfinder does seems to attract criticism these days. They are a business and, of course, they will advertise to attract sales.
    I’ve owned two of the watches shown, the Bremont and the Maxi Marine. I’ve also owned a 14060, a Hulk, and I still have a 116613LB. In my opinion the Bremont is easily an alternative to the Sub and the Maxi Marine dumps on it from a great height. Rolex make good watches but they are not the be all and end all. Many will disagree without even handling the alternatives, but that just goes to show that Rolex have been successful in spending tens of millions on advertising every year.

Master
    This was my UN Maxi Marine Diver...
    The build quality was right up there - I thought above a Sub, and not the secondhand market a very good buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I don’t really see that they could be considered comparable/alternatives to submariners
    I am interested to hear why people do not think the watches in the video are alternatives to a Submariner?
    I would have put all of the watches shown in the category of direct competitors to the Sub.
    They are all dressy divers that have moved from tool watch to jewellery but they can still be used for the original intended purpose.
    What is a Submariners competition?

That is superb, I have been tempted over a UN for many years now. My only worry is looking after that bezel, it looks like it would be easy to make a mess of?

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    This was my UN Maxi Marine Diver...
    The build quality was right up there - I thought above a Sub, and not the secondhand market a very good buy.

It's the cynic in me that thinks that WF have a couple of dozen watches in stock & featured in this video that are (at best) slow sellers.

What to do? Pimp them as a viable, cheaper alternative to something that flies off the shelves.

Disclaimer: I'd rather have a UN or an IWC over a Sub. I know that's not the usual mindset on here.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    It's the cynic in me that thinks that WF have a couple of dozen watches in stock & featured in this video that are (at best) slow sellers.

What to do? Pimp them as a viable, cheaper alternative to something that flies off the shelves.

Disclaimer: I'd rather have a UN or an IWC over a Sub. I know that's not the usual mindset on here.
    Spot on, on all counts. I had a BP Bathyscaphe which is also a good alternative. Build quality was way better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I am interested to hear why people do not think the watches in the video are alternatives to a Submariner?
    I would have put all of the watches shown in the category of direct competitors to the Sub.
    They are all dressy divers that have moved from tool watch to jewellery but they can still be used for the original intended purpose.
    What is a Submariners competition?
    I think they’ve done a nice job here. They’ve got to keep coming up with new content for their channel and already featured Tudors and Seamasters plenty so showing a couple of other interesting watches is a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I think they’ve done a nice job here. They’ve got to keep coming up with new content for their channel and already featured Tudors and Seamasters plenty so showing a couple of other interesting watches is a nice touch.
    I agree, every video that have ever made is about selling watches but at least they focus on something other than the usual suspects in this one. Regardless of the potential ulterior motives.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    That is superb, I have been tempted over a UN for many years now. My only worry is looking after that bezel, it looks like it would be easy to make a mess of?
    I didn’t find the watch overly thick, and I am fairly careful with my watches so didn’t really find it a problem