closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Replacement of kitchen cupboard doors

Journeyman

Replacement of kitchen cupboard doors

I'm in the process of buying a new property but do not like their kitchen designs. Rather than rip out the whole kitchen when i move in, has anyone previously replaced their kitchen doors, rather than the whole kitchen? If so, what companies would you recommend? And were there any pitfalls in doing this? Thanks.

Craftsman
    I enquired about this a few years ago when I moved into our current house and the kitchen was looking tired.

I visited a couple of local firms for quotes, and was truly shocked at the cost of replacement doors/panels.

I ended up having it all ripped out and new kitchen fitted for a price that was obviously quite a bit more but better value overall for everything new.

Master
    If its a fairly recent, think metric off the peg kitchen then it should be no problem, look around pick a range and they should have all the doors available.
    If its earlier or bespoke with odd sized or custom sizes them there is a company in doncaster i think that do very a 3 weeks ish any door in any size. Big range matching wardrobes too if you like. I cant remember the name of it as i always dealt with a dealer/shop. i will keep looking

Found https://byba.co.uk/contact-us/
    Last edited by MCFastybloke; 21st February 2019 at 09:42.

Do a search for plykea - obviously made to fit Ikea cabinets but quite nice and definitely lift standard chipboard boxes to look better than they are.

I’ll be using these guys after getting a sample from them...
    https://www.hotdoors.co.uk/kitchen-doors/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    I enquired about this a few years ago when I moved into our current house and the kitchen was looking tired.

I visited a couple of local firms for quotes, and was truly shocked at the cost of replacement doors/panels.

I ended up having it all ripped out and new kitchen fitted for a price that was obviously quite a bit more but better value overall for everything new.
    Just out of interest, how much were they charging vs cost of a new kitchen?

Craftsman
    We recently had a quote from Dreamdoors (a franchise) it was eye watering! So, we went for a full refit with another company. Having said that, one of our neighbours had Dreamdoors change his doors/trims and told me he was very happy. I have to say, they do look impressive and made a big transformation visually as you'd expect. I think it is only viable if you have decent quality carcasses in good nick to start with, as he did.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the responses everyone. To clarify, I am buying a new build, so the cabinets should be in good condition (I hope!). The builder wants to charge 8k for an upgraded kitchen, which isn't even that good.

Craftsman
    Sorry cant recall exactly, but it was into the £1000s
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk3y View Post
    Just out of interest, how much were they charging vs cost of a new kitchen?

Are the doors melamine/ formica OP ?

If not, why not buy a cheap electric spray gun , rub down the doors ,use a primer to seal, then spray paint the colour you want

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Are the doors melamine/ formica OP ?

If not, why not buy a cheap electric spray gun , rub down the doors ,use a primer to seal, then spray paint the colour you want
    I'm all for a bit of DIY. Trouble is the wife wants minimal work/disruption. She also does not like the design of the doors themselves.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenw View Post
    I’ll be using these guys after getting a sample from them...
    https://www.hotdoors.co.uk/kitchen-doors/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Excellent, let me know how it goes!

Master
    Thanks for the responses everyone. To clarify, I am buying a new build, so the cabinets should be in good condition (I hope!). The builder wants to charge 8k for an upgraded kitchen, which isn't even that good.

If its new build, then units will be standard sizes, try to glean from him which supplier

Large developer or a small builder?

If its the latter it will probably be supplied by Symphony kitchens

I have worked with there fitters on sites for Redrow.

I think you can buy from there website but i would'nt tell them to deliver to your new house! They get a lot of work from the new build house builders and wont want to cut them out of there Cost Plus! quotation to you.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Large developer or a small builder?

If its the latter it will probably be supplied by Symphony kitchens

I have worked with there fitters on sites for Redrow.

I think you can buy from there website but i would'nt tell them to deliver to your new house! They get a lot of work from the new build house builders and wont want to cut them out of there Cost Plus! quotation to you.
    Spot on, they are symphony kitchens!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    If its a fairly recent, think metric off the peg kitchen then it should be no problem, look around pick a range and they should have all the doors available.
    If its earlier or bespoke with odd sized or custom sizes them there is a company in doncaster i think that do very a 3 weeks ish any door in any size. Big range matching wardrobes too if you like. I cant remember the name of it as i always dealt with a dealer/shop. i will keep looking

Found https://byba.co.uk/contact-us/
    Some cracking looking options in their Zurfiz range.

Craftsman
    I'm buying a new kitchen from a well established local company that have recently started up an online store https://www.onlinekitchenstore.co.uk.../showroom.html they make the carcass & buy some of the doors in I think using https://www.pws.co.uk/ We looked at a forum favourite diy kitchens but online kitchens quality is definitely a step up.
    Last edited by Coronet king; 24th February 2019 at 00:39.

Master
    DIY kitchens will sell you their doors on there own. Plenty of styles and colours available and even offer a custom, colour match service too. Good quality and good service.

There is a bewildering array of sizes available so double check you are ordering the correct sizes. Should be easier if you are ordering replacements as you can take the measurements directly from the ones you have. I had to order some to create new cupboard space without a unit behind and nearly didnt take into account clearances around the doors themselves.

Master
    We got a local company in Leicester to supply the doors think they were about £45 each depending on size and I got one of the chippies at work to fit them

Craftsman
    We bought all of our doors from here, and were very happy with the quality and service:

http://kitchenandbedroomdoors.co.uk/

You can easily work out the total cost because prices are all available on the website, for standard and custom sizes.

We recently replaced all our kitchen doors using a local furniture maker. He came round measured and fitted 8 doors plus surrounds for £800. Like yours the carcasses were sound.

Whole process was painless, took him 4 weeks to make (on and off, we told him no rush) and they are solid reclaimed timber. Much cheaper than a whole kitchen and they are unique.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by K9david; 24th February 2019 at 15:55. Reason: Misspelt

Master
    Blog Entries
    Our last house was a new build and came with a pine country kitchen. We had the units painted and covered in a clear varnish. Looked good and cost very little.

Master
    Just to comment. Our 'new to us' house has an Ikea kitchen and the quality of the carcasses is really poor. tbh I didn't appreciate how good a kitchen the one in our old house was! For example old house kitchen full chipboard carcass with full chipboard backs. Ikea thinner chipboard and rubbish hardboard backs that are loose/falling out. In fact the ikea kitchen is so rubbish I strongly hinted to SWMBO that we should rip it out and start again!

Blog Entries
    Spot on, they are symphony kitchens!
    If thats the case all you need to do is establish which range is fitted and choose some doors you like which fit that range. They should then be a straight replacement and fit properly. Any competent DIY'er or local handyman should be able to fit them easily. If you're worried they might not sell to you in a new build have them delivered to a friends house.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

This thread is a year old - started Feb. 2019.

I suspect the OP has his kitchen sorted...
    ______

​Jim.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    This thread is a year old - started Feb. 2019.

I suspect the OP has his kitchen sorted...
    Ha ha ha!! 'Holy thread resurrection Batman!'

Never even noticed, just saw the posts from today. Note to self, check threads start dates!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Ha ha ha!! 'Holy thread resurrection Batman!'

Never even noticed, just saw the posts from today. Note to self, check threads start dates!
    Just look out for SammyS.