closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Megaquartz 32khz

Master

Omega Megaquartz 32khz

I have one of the above watches that is a non runner. I have changed the battery, but nothing and the top pusher does not change the date.

My question is, if I was to part with it, how much would I get for it, as is. The watch itself is in pretty good order throughout, no box or papers though.

Pictures would probably help ;-) I suspect you'll be better off trying to sell it as a working watch assuming it's not too costly to fix. Ludmil in Bulgaria could let you know what needs to be done and at what cost.

I think your sales thread price is very optimistic although I realise you are taking a stab in the dark. SWISSTEC (part of STS) could do it for you but the price will likely be in the high hundreds. They should also be able to replace the date wheel or the bits that operate it.

You may well be better off selling the bracelet separately or seeing if KeithT wants to take it off your hands for a few quid.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Paul at Electric Watches may be able to help fix it. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    Paul at Electric Watches may be able to help fix it. Highly recommended.
    According to his site Paul no longer services megaquartz, STS do but it won't be cheap(I've just sent one to them myself, will spend way more than the watch is worth but I love the watch).

As suggested some pics would be helpful here to determine if it's worth spending money on.

IIRC the top pusher is to fine tune the movement (quick push adds a second and a longer hold hacks the movement) so I wouldn't expect it to do anything if the movement isn't running.

I agree with Foxy re pricing - I have one of these for which I paid under £400 in good working order.

I just looked it up in SC and agree with the above comments that the price is very ambitious, I suspect as a non runner you'd be lucky to get much more than half of that price at best.

It does look in nice condition though and would make a great watch if you could get somebody to repair it. These megaquartz are pretty underappreiated for what they are.

I'll echo the comments above re: your asking price. The thing is that these watches are under appreciated, mainly (I think) because people are wary of failure of the megaquartz movement. I'm guessing selling a non-runner will be very difficult, unless the buyer can fix/service it themselves. The watch definitely deserves being brought back to life, but I doubt the financial outlay will be worth it if you'll still be selling it afterwards.
    Last edited by JackW; 21st February 2019 at 16:19.

Craftsman
    Yes depending on what has gone seriously effects the service cost. STS high hundreds as said, independent who had the parts or it doesn't need many parts couple of hundred. But many people don't service these.

Working models sell for £6-700 in good condition.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The one on SC is overpriced by £300 IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    The one on SC is overpriced by £300 IMO.
    I think that's rather generous considering you'll spend £750-£800 on a service and have a watch that's worth at least £300 less than you paid for it.

It's worth whatever it can be parted for, servicing and restoring at a loss by Omega (SWISSTEC are the authorised repairers for Omega for electronic and quartz watches) or either having someone like Keith fix it or selling it to him to sort and sell himself.

Yeah you can't sell a non-runner for that price...

It’s worth what the market will pay. And that is £0 for a non runner.

Working - might be £350 max.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    It’s worth what the market will pay. And that is £0 for a non runner.

Working - might be £350 max.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I would think given condition of case and bracelet after service it would be worth getting on towards double that amount[EDIT actually forgot about the engraved caseback which will kill some value so probably after a service my guess is around £500]. Still might not be easy to sell but these were very reliable movements by my understanding so with a service by somebody reputable there's a good chance you'd be left with a really nice watch which will run for years with little to no attention.

Again taking into consideration the condition of the case, bracelet and dial I think somewhere around £200-£250 would be a fair price for this one as a non-runner. Probably more likely to shift it on ebay than here where they may be more people looking that are able to repair it themselves.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 21st February 2019 at 16:18.

Master
    Many thanks for all the input and advice given.

Omega Megaquartz 32khz

I just had a quick look at the sold listings.
    It seems there are some that sold for a bit less than yours and in working condition.
    This one for a one off example.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273704923910
    Edit.
    Just realised that’s a non bracelet version not sore how much the bracelet is worth.
    Good luck anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Redwolf; 22nd February 2019 at 01:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    I just had a quick look at the sold listings.
    It seems there are some that sold for a bit less than yours and in working condition.
    This one for a one off example.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273704923910
    Edit.
    Just realised that’s a non bracelet version not sore how much the bracelet is worth.
    Good luck anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Completely different model but somebody got a beauty there! I'd have been extremely tempted by that one had I seen it, you don't see examples like that every day especially with original strap and box also mint and at that sort of price. Bit gutted tbh, wish you hadn't shown it.

[EDIT] sold yesterday same model as OP but slightly better overall condition and of course running.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-O...p2047675.l2557

Sold for £670
    Last edited by Tetlee; 22nd February 2019 at 12:15.

I have a really nice Seamaster version that worked fine for about a year and then when I had battery replaced expired after a couple of months, started running slow and then stopped. How long are batteries likely to last? Keep meaning to dig it out but frightened it might need expensive repair! Help?

Quote Originally Posted by burrotaxi View Post
    I have a really nice Seamaster version that worked fine for about a year and then when I had battery replaced expired after a couple of months, started running slow and then stopped. How long are batteries likely to last? Keep meaning to dig it out but frightened it might need expensive repair! Help?
    Depends how old the battery was! They usually last around a year.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    According to his site Paul no longer services megaquartz, STS do but it won't be cheap(I've just sent one to them myself, will spend way more than the watch is worth but I love the watch).

As suggested some pics would be helpful here to determine if it's worth spending money on.
    Thanks Tetlee, that's good to know. I must check his website more often as I nearly bought a Constellation Electroquartz recently and wouldn't want to end up with something I like but is unserviceable/repairable.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    These are great watches if they are working. If they are not (excluding a simple battery change) they are just basically a lump of useless metal. They are ticking time bombs (if you will excuse the pun) in terms of servicing and repair costs. I sold a similar watch about 18 months ago which was in working order. I had asked STS how much for a service and was quoted about £500-£700 depending on what they needed to do...and remember this was for a working watch.
    Quite frankly it would almost certainly cost hundreds of pounds to get this working and serviced by someone both reputable and reliable.
    I would stick it on EBay with full disclosure and take what you can get.

I’ve been down this road with Speedsonics (twice) and a couple of other vintage quartz Omegas.

As Simon pointed out a few posts back, even with a full STS service this is going to be worth £600-£700 at best. The case and bracelet definitely need a re-finish so that rules out pretty much anyone else to do the job.

Unfortunately these sit in a league below your Speedsonics (with the Megaquartz 2.4 stardusts etc. and the Marine Chronometer sitting in the Premier League above) and are just not economically viable to restore unless there’s sentimental value.

I’d think you’d be lucky to get £150 on here but stick it on eBay and see what you get. Be very explicit that it’s not working though.