closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Powermatic 80 movement question

Craftsman

Powermatic 80 movement question

Wondering if anybody else has a watch with the Powermatic 80 movement (ETA 2824 base). I have a Certina DS-8 with this movement which has been running at +2 secs a day or just less for the last 6 weeks, position is dial up when unworn in the evening. However in the past 3 days the timing is all over the place, -10 to -15 secs.

Hasn't had a knock or any electrical field. Don't wear the watch that often but it is one of the most accurate I own given the cost.

Rather common issue on these. Just google “erratic accuracy Powermatic 80” and you will be presented with many a threads on fora, including here on TZ ;)

And yes, I had one as well, not a Certina but same movt. and it was far from what I would have liked it to be accuracy-wise.

Master
    It was a couple of years ago now of course when they were introduced but I had the Tissot version and never had a problem. Maybe I was lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    It was a couple of years ago now of course when they were introduced but I had the Tissot version and never had a problem. Maybe I was lucky!
    I read plenty of very positive reviews as well. That's what made me buy mine, with high expectations but its accuracy was definitely average. I guess its hit or miss, and I'd bet on average there's still more consistency in the old school movts. such as the 2892-2. Also, I guess you have to take it in the context of what it costs, as (most) of the models sold with this movt. rather on the more affordable side of the scale. Well, except the chronometer-grade ones, which are obviously chronometer grade and of course priced more accordingly

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    I read plenty of very positive reviews as well. That's what made me buy mine, with high expectations but its accuracy was definitely average. I guess its hit or miss, and I'd bet on average there's still more consistency in the old school movts. such as the 2892-2. Also, I guess you have to take it in the context of what it costs, as (most) of the models sold with this movt. rather on the more affordable side of the scale. Well, except the chronometer-grade ones, which are obviously chronometer grade and of course priced more accordingly
    Its been excellent up to now, wore it for a few months when I got it and ran 2-3 sec fast a day. Now running a fair bit slower in the past 3 days. Gave it a good 40 winds to up the power reserve.

Still under warranty so will keep an eye.

Master
    My Hamilton Khaki Navy Scuba with that movement has just run +21 secs over 14 days, no unusual variations in the 9 months I've owned it.
    I can concur with the 80hr PR as well.