closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Starter motor!

Master
    Blog Entries

Starter motor!

Long shot but I know there are some knowledgeable folk here on cars/engines. I have a VW T4 and recently I've gone to turn the engine over but all I get is one click. Turn the key a few more times and eventually the starter motor turns.

From what I've researched the one click means the starter motor is not getting the amps it needs. I took the cables off the starter and cleaned them up which fixed the problem for a few days but the problem gradually comes back. Done this a few times now with same results.

Today I took the motor off and took it apart. Cleaned inside with carb cleaner and cleaned up the cable contacts on the soliniod. Put back on but now it's worse, just the one click all the time now.

I know I can go out and just buy a recon starter ( and hope that works) but I like to try fix things and also keep original parts on the engine. The starter motor looks pretty decent inside and it puzzles me that taking the cables off, cleaning them fixed the problem for a bit.

Vans done 55,000

Checked the earth strap to the chassis?

Pull the plug leads off, Stick an old screwdriver across the posts if it spins it is either the solonoid, wiring or switch

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Checked the earth strap to the chassis?
    Yes seems fine. Took off and cleaned with automative electrical cleaner also.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Pull the plug leads off, Stick an old screwdriver across the posts if it spins it is either the solonoid, wiring or switch
    Stumped me with this. What posts? Plug leads? Do you mean spark plug leads? If so it's a diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Stumped me with this. What posts? Plug leads? Do you mean spark plug leads? If so it's a diesel.
    The two live posts on the starter motor, I’m assuming it has two , one from the battery and one from the solenoid to the armature. If it is a diesel I’m not sure how you stop it starting, maybe disconnect the fuel pump

Just looked at some pictures, that won’t work
    Last edited by adrianw; 19th February 2019 at 22:57.

Master
    How worn are the brushes ?

I can see them in the photo, but compare them to photos of new ones.

Pete

Grand Master
    I rebuilt an MGB starter motor in the mid-80s, I checked it on the bench clamped up in a vice to ensure the solenoid was working and the pinion throw was correct. Thinking back it was a whole load of hassle, but I was short of money so it made sense to do it myself. My advice nowadays would be to get a rebuilt one, but first I’d check all the other stuff, such as battery connections, body earth, engine earth, gnition switch etc.

Have you checked the engine earth? The block should be earthed to the body by something substantial. If this is faulty the starter woon’t get the juice it needs.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    How worn are the brushes ?

I can see them in the photo, but compare them to photos of new ones.

Pete
    Not sure how new ones compare but I would say there are a lot of life left in them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    The two live posts on the starter motor, I’m assuming it has two , one from the battery and one from the solenoid to the armature. If it is a diesel I’m not sure how you stop it starting, maybe disconnect the fuel pump

Just looked at some pictures, that won’t work
    Ah right ok.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I rebuilt an MGB starter motor in the mid-80s, I checked it on the bench clamped up in a vice to ensure the solenoid was working and the pinion throw was correct. Thinking back it was a whole load of hassle, but I was short of money so it made sense to do it myself. My advice nowadays would be to get a rebuilt one, but first I’d check all the other stuff, such as battery connections, body earth, engine earth, gnition switch etc.

Have you checked the engine earth? The block should be earthed to the body by something substantial. If this is faulty the starter woon’t get the juice it needs.
    Might have to check the earth cable again. Actually I might put a jump lead from the block to the sub frame.