closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch with a vibrating alarm?

Watch with a vibrating alarm?

Seriously.

I am now, at an early age, profoundly deaf. I rely on hearing aids. Fine during the day, but a big problem at night, or more specifically in the morning.

Despite two loud alarms I can sleep through, if particularly tired. When at home not so much of a problem. When travelling I am really anxious about missing flights/trains etc so rarely sleep much. Hasn't happened yet, but I have no intention of ending up stranded in back end of nowhere.

Does anyone know of a decent mechanical watch with a vibrating alarm feature?

I'm not a big sports watch person (Garmin, Suunto, Apple, Fitbit etc), but accept that might be the way forward. If it is, the watch would only be worn at night, so battery life and recharging become an issue.

Wearing hearing aids 24/7 is not really a viable option.

Got to be one of the weirdest threads on here, but someone out there must have a good suggestion?

Poljot made quite a few mechanical alarms and they're still available at pretty reasonable prices. I have a couple and would be happy to send you one to try before you buy.

The Seiko Bellmatic line has a mechanical alarm that vibrates and it's noticeable on the wrist. But would it be noticeable when occupied with something else? Hard to say.

I've a Bellmatic that I could send you to see if it helps at all? That could then guide you as to whether mechanical alarms of this type vibrate enough for you.

Edit: Beaten to it by Lampoc.

Also edit: Is this alarm to wake you? If so, then I doubt this will work as they're simple not that juddery. Best bet is indeed likely to be a smart watch with vibrate function.

Alternatively, alarm clock that uses light to wake you?
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 19th February 2019 at 20:16.

Master
    Casio GD 400. It actually works, I had it.

Only thing it looks like something out of Terminator movie

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    The Seiko Bellmatic line has a mechanical alarm that vibrates and it's noticeable on the wrist. But would it be noticeable when occupied with something else? Hard to say.

I've a Bellmatic that I could send you to see if it helps at all? That could then guide you as to whether mechanical alarms of this type vibrate enough for you.

More the merrier! I also still have this Monvis that I attempted and failed to flog in 2014... https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ghlight=monvis

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The only problem with the Poljot is it’s about as relaxing as one of those joke shop fake electric shocks. In fact it’s bascally identical. You don’t so much hear it as violently recoil from the vibration...

Journeyman
    No experience of it personally but i think the vulcain ' cricket' presidents watch is rather nice although at 20 seconds i don't know how effective the alarm would be. Good luck in your search

Master
    Omega Memomatic!!!

It's rare (but not astronomically priced) and looks absolutely amazing. For my money it's one of very very few 1960's/70's Omega offerings no longer in production that has stood the test of time.

I've had two, the blue/grey and the all silver. The alarm is technically a standard "buzz", but it vibrates quite strongly so you would definitely know when it's going off.

No idea on budget, but £1200-£1500 buys you a good one, a grand for a rough one and maybe £2k for a minter.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post

I'm not a big sports watch person (Garmin, Suunto, Apple, Fitbit etc), but accept that might be the way forward. If it is, the watch would only be worn at night, so battery life and recharging become an issue.
    Not a fan of smartwatches at all - but if you go back a few generations I think the Fitbit flex would work well for what you are after. Can be had for about 50 quid and have a week or so battery life. you can set a nice buzz to wake you up.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If OP decides to go digital (maybe simplest solution for nighttime) this Casio is only £27.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9157789

Master
    I think Tissot used to make one called the Silent T - but its quartz.

They did also use to make mechanical ones - Sonorus - which had alarms - but I don't know if they were also vibrating ones

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

Also edit: Is this alarm to wake you? If so, then I doubt this will work as they're simple not that juddery. Best bet is indeed likely to be a smart watch with vibrate function.

Alternatively, alarm clock that uses light to wake you?
    Thanks Hugh.

Think I need dynamite to wake me!

Did the Bellmatic actually wake you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Poljot made quite a few mechanical alarms and they're still available at pretty reasonable prices. I have a couple and would be happy to send you one to try before you buy.
    Not bad looking watches on the whole.

Does the alarm work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Omega Memomatic!!!

It's rare (but not astronomically priced) and looks absolutely amazing. For my money it's one of very very few 1960's/70's Omega offerings no longer in production that has stood the test of time.

I've had two, the blue/grey and the all silver. The alarm is technically a standard "buzz", but it vibrates quite strongly so you would definitely know when it's going off.

No idea on budget, but £1200-£1500 buys you a good one, a grand for a rough one and maybe £2k for a minter.
    Quite like the look of the all silver one.

Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Thanks Hugh.

Think I need dynamite to wake me!

Did the Bellmatic actually wake you?
    I've never tried, but I doubt it would. It may initially wake you, but as they wind themselves down, the vibration goes away pretty quickly and I'd be drifting back off again as it requires no intervention to stop the alarm!

What may or may not matter to you is the accuracy of these mechanical alarms is pretty shotgun-like - you set it for a time, but it will go off just around that time. I think the Bellmatic's accuracy is technically within four minutes or so, but not all are the same. It's fine for general 'about now' timings, but very much not for precise work.

I can vouch for the Garmin FR935 - that thing WILL wake you up with its vibrations. I got it for running but found it to be a great smartwatch where you can install all kind of useful apps and watch faces that I wear at almost all times now...I must admit.

I definitely would NOT rely on my Seiko Bellmatic for that ;-)

Master
    If you do go down the sports watch route then the Garmin Fenix 5 has a great vibration alarm. I use it as a back up for my phone alarm when on 12hr days as I get up at 03:30 (don't want to sleep in as there's somebody whos been on nights waiting to handover to me). If I don't have it set I wake up every 30 mins thinking I've slept in.

Craftsman
    JLC does several that vibrate- the Deepsea alarm, Navy Seals alarm and Master Grand Reveil.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I have a Maurice Lacroix Globe Reveil. This model has an alarm. Pretty loud actually.

Would you give your right arm for this 1915 invention?

Or feel the burn with this 1918 torture device?

Tudor advisor

Craftsman
    Get a Smart watch. My wife has a Fitbit Ionic, it even wakes me if it touching the mattress whent goes off.

Do not worry about battery life, you state you will only wear it to bed so leave it on charge in the day.

I seem to remember a similar thread a while back that suggested a particular Timex model, failing that you could consider a 'Derek Flint' special.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I use a pebble smartwatch to wake me up by vibrations. Since fitbit discontinued them you might be able pick up one cheap.

5 day battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctam View Post
    JLC does several that vibrate- the Deepsea alarm, Navy Seals alarm and Master Grand Reveil.

I can whole heartly recommend the JLC Deepsea Alarm. , but I believe most JLC Memorex models vibrate.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    <snip>... you could consider a 'Derek Flint' special.
    Beat me to it - the first thing that popped into my head... is it actually a real watch or just a movie prop?

Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    Casio GD 400. It actually works, I had it.

Only thing it looks like something out of Terminator movie
    The vibrating G-Shock is the GD350. I wear hearing aids, and have been thinking about getting the GD350-1B.

It looks like it would be uncomfortable to wear in bed, and I have read that the vibrating alarm is not strong enough to wake heavy sleepers. But it is one of the less expensive G-Shocks, and I would not be able to hear audio alarms on other models, even with my hearing aids.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    The vibrating G-Shock is the GD350. I wear hearing aids, and have been thinking about getting the GD350-1B.

It looks like it would be uncomfortable to wear in bed, and I have read that the vibrating alarm is not strong enough to wake heavy sleepers. But it is one of the less expensive G-Shocks, and I would not be able to hear audio alarms on other models, even with my hearing aids.
    Sorry. I meant that one.

It is large watch. You can feel the vibration,just have to strap it tight.

Other than that. ... Some smart band? They all have vibration option? Xiaomi Band is cheap, it is not so "in your face" , actually it quite discreet.

Craftsman
    The Dan Henry 1972 is an alarm chronograph. No personal experience of it, so don’t know how effective the alarm function is...

Buy the smallest smart phone you can find, set up the alarm to ring and vibrate and stick it underneath your pillow.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I'd suggest an under-pillow vibration alarm clock. There are dozens available - a few reviewed HERE

Blog Entries
    If you don’t discount Fitbit - I wear a Fitbit Charge 2 which you can program for any number of daily / weekly alarms that vibrate the device, programmed via a phone app. Useful for silent vibrate for pickup of phone calls as well.

I wear it through the night for sleep measurements and heart rate. Comfortable for 24x7 wear and needs charging just weekly for an hour or so via a USB charger.

Garmin also do similar - with vibration alerts.

Good luck.

Martyn.

The GD-350 is very comfortable as it has "wings" under each spring bar which adjust to your wrist size. I've not tried it as an alarm to wake me up but I can say that the vibration is powerful on the wrist or a bed side cabinet. The positive version is available on line, should the negative display not appeal. It also has the advantage of having an excellent backlight and a fully featured module, with special emphasis on world times and the stopwatch.

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

the vibration is kinda weak and might not able to wake you