closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC vs Breguet titanium chronographs

Apprentice

IWC vs Breguet titanium chronographs

Hi All,
    I'm currently looking for a titanium chronograph watch pre-owned and have narrowed down to two choices. Both around the same price pre-owned, and planning to wear it as my daily watch. They are:

IWC aquatimer 3719 titanium (42mm)
    Breguet XX 3820ti (39.5mm)

I've tried both on and both are quite nice. I find that the IWC yellow to be quite sporting and adds a little funkiness (in a good way). The breguet on the other hand feels more sophisticated with more details, but the dial maybe a little more cluttered especially with carbon fibre dial.
    Can't decide, any opinions are welcome please.

Master
    Give us some pictures then mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Sorry
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you pick the Brequet make sure it has had a recent service as they cost the earth and take forever to service.

Taking into account the very good advice above - personally I wouldn't be interested in the IWC, so it would be the Breguet for me - it's in a whole different league imho.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I love IWC, but I can’t see past the yellow!

Master
    It would be the IWC for me. It is quite an original and, IMO, fantastic design on that era of aquatimer. The valjoux 7750 should always be fine to service.

The breguet is kind of a hybrid between sport and dress so if that is what you are looking for then Breguet would be a cool name to own as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The Breguet looks a little fussy. Both are nice watches for sure but I may edge towards the IWC and having bought a Portuguese a few months ago, I'm a fan of the IWC product.

They both have their pluses and minuses. I'd say that the deciding factor would be... the length of the time you intent to keep the watch. For long term ownership the IWC and for short term the Brequet.

Of course the IWC is also a diver...

If it was me, I would pick the Brequet even though I think that overall it is a lesser watch.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    If you pick the Brequet make sure it has had a recent service as they cost the earth and take forever to service.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Jammt79 View Post
    Sorry, I don’t understand. £595 and 6-8 weeks. What do IWC charge for the service of that watch and how long...

Quote Originally Posted by Jammt79 View Post
    Sorry, I don’t understand. £595 and 6-8 weeks. What do IWC charge for the service of that watch and how long...

The questioner is not in London. It would be good to check these details in Hong Kong.

Master
    Breguet recently told me the same: £595 & 6 weeks. Since they turned a small repair round in days, beginning by coming to my house to collect the watch, I'm inclined to believe them.
    Last edited by Tinker; 19th February 2019 at 22:31.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtm1 View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm currently looking for a titanium chronograph watch pre-owned and have narrowed down to two choices. Both around the same price pre-owned, and planning to wear it as my daily watch. They are:

IWC aquatimer 3719 titanium (42mm)
    Breguet XX 3820ti (39.5mm)

I've tried both on and both are quite nice. I find that the IWC yellow to be quite sporting and adds a little funkiness (in a good way). The breguet on the other hand feels more sophisticated with more details, but the dial maybe a little more cluttered especially with carbon fibre dial.
    Can't decide, any opinions are welcome please.
    I've had both and the Breguet knocks the IWC into a cocked hat. (And I'm a big IWC fan. Well, I used to be.)

I also had a titanium ZENO - titter ye not - at the same time as the titanium IWC. The case of the ZENO was noticeably better made.

I've actually gone through a similar dilemma around 3 years ago - a similar Breguet chronograph but against the IWC AMG chrono (also Ti).

I probably will be seen as going against the grain, but I went for IWC. The IWC felt better on the wrist, was better looking (in my eye) and it was also cheaper than the Breguet (I think almost half the price). I also planned on keeping the IWC for the longer term (I still have it).

One thing for the IWC - is it on bracelet on strap? If bracelet, check to see if there is a half link in there, I find IWC bracelets a massive pain to get a good fit. Ended up forking out for the strap and buckle....not cheap

Of those two, has to be the IWC for the sole reason of the Breguet having the most useless minute counter sub dial I've ever seen:

30 minute totaliser but only with marks every TWO minutes and with every SIX minutes highlighted?! (Edit: no, it's a 15 minute counter)
    And no written numbers to make that thoroughly awkward demarcation slightly easier to use.

It's like they copied a design of another chronograph without understanding what it was for. They have no excuse for that given their history in this field.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 27th February 2019 at 17:50.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Of those two, has to be the IWC for the sole reason of the Breguet having the most useless minute counter sub dial I've ever seen:

30 minute totaliser but only with marks every TWO minutes and with every SIX minutes highlighted?!
    And no written numbers to make that thoroughly awkward demarcation slightly easier to use.

It's like they copied a design of another chronograph without understanding what it was for. They have no excuse for that given their history in this field.
    Breguet's "history in this field" is the very reason for this sub-dial.

It was specified by L'Aeronavale Francaise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Breguet's "history in this field" is the very reason for this sub-dial.

It was specified by L'Aeronavale Francaise.
    Fascinating! Got a link to the relevant bit? I'd love to know why it's designed to be so 'unusual'

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Fascinating! Got a link to the relevant bit? I'd love to know why it's designed to be so 'unusual'
    "In 1958, the Aéronavale (short for Aéronautique Navale, the Aviation branch of the French Navy) asked Breguet to develop a specific version with a 15-minute chronograph display (instead of the 30-minute readout found in the more common Air Force model), which corresponds to the time necessary for the plane checkup before a flight."

THE BREGUET TYPE xx AÉRONAVALE AND TRANSATLANTIQUE
    http://www.donindiano.net/watches/br...type_xx/#intro

For more on these watches...
    https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guide...military-issue

https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guide...tion-1-2-and-3

Journeyman
    make sure you compare with the thickness of both...7750 would be very thick

"In 1958, the Aéronavale (short for Aéronautique Navale, the Aviation branch of the French Navy) asked Breguet to develop a specific version with a 15-minute chronograph display (instead of the 30-minute readout found in the more common Air Force model), which corresponds to the time necessary for the plane checkup before a flight."

THE BREGUET TYPE xx AÉRONAVALE AND TRANSATLANTIQUE
    http://www.donindiano.net/watches/br...type_xx/#intro

For more on these watches...
    https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guide...military-issue

https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guide...tion-1-2-and-3
    Oh I see, that makes far more sense. I thought it was a really strangely designed 30 minute totaliser! That sub dial now makes absolute sense both in terms of its design and what it actually counts; many thanks.