closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon Apollo 8

Omega Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon Apollo 8

I was in the Omega Boutique in London today picking up another watch and couldn't resist taking a look at the Apollo 8 for the first time. I have to say it looks stunning and I was very impressed. Some serious wrist presence here. Couldn't bring myself to pay full price for it but think i'll definitely pick one up when there are some deals about in a few months.

2019-02-18 12.09.39 by ataripower, on Flickr

2019-02-18 12.09.35 by ataripower, on Flickr

Master
    That is stunning indeed. I think the open dail looks great and the yellow hands match lovely with all that blackness. :)

Master
    I'm all for omega and the speedy but to my eye that's looks absolutely awful.

I like it. A lot.

Craftsman
    I appreciate the work that’s gone into this watch and the yellow works well, but it’s all a bit busy for my taste.

Cheers
    Rory

The Omega marketing machine is going into full flow with this one and the more I see it the more i'm wanting it....oh dear

Craftsman
    Its pretty, not my taste, but I can see the appeal.

The whole "dark side of the moon" marketing is a push too far though. They push the moonwatch idea quite a bit already. I think the mental link with the album of the same title doesnt help the image either, it makes it feel like a watch designed to fit the results of a marketing brainstorm session.

That has lots of different elements to it that I don't like but I still think it's bloody lovely.
    I wouldn't wear it though and I'm a million* miles from being able to buy a watch of that price just to look at occasionally.

(* to the moon and back twice)

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Completely over powers the wrist like a man hole cover. Hedious

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    If you think that's overpowering, then you're gonna love this.....WOW! I love it :-)

51866212_2260558077500081_6384257102921634220_n(1) by ataripower, on Flickr

Master
    Gorgeous watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I really like Omegas, it’s just a pity they don’t hold there value better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    The whole "dark side of the moon" marketing is a push too far though. They push the moonwatch idea quite a bit already...
    Including strap options there are currently something like 80 iterations of the Speedmaster on sale. Where would Omega be without the Speedy?

Master
    No ugly almost as bad as the silly Zeniths’s with partial skeleton dial.
    Not my cup of tea i’m afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Including strap options there are currently something like 80 iterations of the Speedmaster on sale. Where would Omega be without the Speedy?
    Same place Porsche would be without the 911 or Apple without the iPhone or Zenith without the El Primero I guess

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I like it, but the amount of variations on the same watch gets a bit much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    If you think that's overpowering, then you're gonna love this.....WOW! I love it :-)

on Flickr
    That would match my Zenith rather nicely - think I will have to take a look. I guess it is ceramic case. Zenith is Ti

Martyn

Craftsman

Difficult

Quote Originally Posted by Mac040 View Post
    I like it, but the amount of variations on the same watch gets a bit much.
    Certainly feels that over the past 5/10 years, Omega has milked the Speedmaster story almost to ridiculous levels. Not quite sure at which point over the last decade that the Omega team decided to put so much emphasis on the Speedmaster range but obviously the success of the original DSOTM breathed new life and maybe potential buyers into the Speedmaster.

They seem either not confident in their other models to give them the financial returns that the constant plethora of Speedmaster gives which would maybe allow the a slow down in speedy releases or the demand from the market for a new speedy release dictates their current approach.

Would give Omega credit here on the Apollo 8, they have given the market something completely fresh within the speedy range, although there does appear to be an in trend at the moment of showing off skeletonised movements from a lot of brands. Apollo 8 will not be for everyone but it gives a different look for speedy fans and the fact it is a standard production piece will keep the speculator trash away.

The modern fashion is to show that mechanicals are mechanical by sceletonising them... one could have seen that coming.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    That would match my Zenith rather nicely - think I will have to take a look. I guess it is ceramic case. Zenith is Ti

Martyn
    I agree that would be a very nice set

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk