closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying watches in Singapore

Craftsman

Buying watches in Singapore

I am going to be in Singapore for a few days in the next week and have a few hours to spare...

Anyone got any suggestions of shops I might go and look at in Singapore - for second hand or new? Not sure that I would buy anything and guessing that prices will be high....but maybe not....And if buying then I guess one can ask for tax free and then pay the tax on entry to the UK?

any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks.

I would head to Gnomon watches, it’s a great place for the smaller makers and micro brands.
    The address can be found on their website.
    Other than that there a few shopping malls with the usuals auspests in them.

Craftsman
    Chuan watches , they have a web site and you can see their stock on line . It’s possible to shave their on line prices a little .great deals on F Muller and Panerai new and used .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Sincere Watches for AP,VC, JLC etc etc.
    They have a website also.

Master
    For 2nd hand, the two best places I know are:

- Far East Plaza on Scotts Road, ground floor + 1 on the third floor (I think) and
    - Golden Landmark Shopping Complex next to Arab St, ground and 1st floor

Both have big selections.

Master
    Far East Plaza. A few years ago I bought second hand Rolex Explorer and Cartier Pasha there.

Was there in January, no cheap Rolex, plenty of shops around depending on what you like.
    No new sports Rolex or the popular PP.
    I went to gnommon, great people, micro brand watch store was on my list but ran out of time.

Journeyman
    As others have said try gnomon watches. I have a Dievas Vortex Pro and they do the whole range (I think they may even own the brand or are linked somehow - not 100% sure). That being said I didn't find it (SG) particularly well priced for watches - a lot of variety yes and just about any brand you want can be found there but prices not that competitive - this was back in 2012 so things may have changed. Not everything is about price though I guess

Gnomon is recommended.

My favourite was Watch Wonderland. They are in Suntec City Mall. It is easy to find as it is the terminus for all the open top tourist buses.

They had plenty of micro brands like Zelos, Boldr, Dan Henry and Gruppo Gamma. My wife had to physically drag me out of there!

Master
    The climate is so aggressive in Singapore that I'd only buy from the big air-conditioned jewellers & ADs and wouldn't buy vintage watches at all.

Craftsman
    thanks guys, very helpful. Just looking at some of the prices on web sites it does appear that they are similar (new) to UK, but let's see....No harm in browsing!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    The climate is so aggressive in Singapore that I'd only buy from the big air-conditioned jewellers & ADs and wouldn't buy vintage watches at all.
    Hi - new to the forum but been lurking for some time. Going to Singapore soon. Do you mean the 2nd hand pieces are likely to be unduly degraded by the climate? Or simply that you don't want a sweaty shopping experience?!
    Matt

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    thanks guys, very helpful. Just looking at some of the prices on web sites it does appear that they are similar (new) to UK, but let's see....No harm in browsing!
    Yep. The prices are fully 'international'. Disappointing, but as you'd expect nowadays. You can see all the currently fashionable Rolexes but you'll be very lucky to find a bargain anywhere, the market is just far too liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Far East Plaza. A few years ago I bought second hand Rolex Explorer and Cartier Pasha there.
    There is a shop on the bottom floor called Monster Time. Usually has some nice vintage pieces. Prices are a bit variable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattius2 View Post
    Hi - new to the forum but been lurking for some time. Going to Singapore soon. Do you mean the 2nd hand pieces are likely to be unduly degraded by the climate? Or simply that you don't want a sweaty shopping experience?!
    Matt
    I wouldn't buy a vintage snap-back cased watch in Singapore - V&C, PP or AP, for example.

That said, I wouldn't bother to go there again for any reason. Hong Kong's much better.