timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For a proper understanding of īsportsīcars

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

Btw. it may not be much of an issue in the UK but that skull under the andalucian summer sun would go bád withing half an hour. What do you guys wear on your heads in summer on longer trips??
    I am définitely too old for a baseball cap but feel not yet Meldrew enough for a flat cap. Serious question since if I do not address this myself, I am risking a present from a gf which I will then háve to wear...

Blog Entries
    I think that 'fashion' or 'to old/to young' is out of the window when it comes to protecting yourself against the sun - especially in a hot climate. Dehydration and sunstroke are just around the corner when you're relatively comfortable in your car (it's not as physical as cycling, so you don't get warned by the fact that you're getting hotter and tired). Try to find something with a sunblock characteristic and perhaps a light colour as well.

I know that sailors wear caps made by Zhik, an Australian brand. Musto has a few lightweight, sunblock'ed and fast dry caps as well. When I'm on a 120 hp RIB and at full speed, I prefer a Musto cap. Last year, when I was really hot I changed to a Tilly hat, but that's not suited for an open top sports car, I think.

M

Banned
    Blog Entries
    There is indeed no way to go without in summer over here. Sofar I go baseball cap.
    In winter, going up réally high or during the night, will don one of those īrussianī type things with earflaps down. Motorcyle gloves too.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    One gf suggested a Breton cap. Rather differing designs so that offers possibilities. Allthough they are īmariner caps and p.e. Colin Chapman donned them, for some reason Í associate them with the all too present Germans at Lake Garda during summer hllidays with my parents...

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Btw. it may not be much of an issue in the UK but that skull under the andalucian summer sun would go bád withing half an hour. What do you guys wear on your heads in summer on longer trips??
    I am définitely too old for a baseball cap but feel not yet Meldrew enough for a flat cap. Serious question since if I do not address this myself, I am risking a present from a gf which I will then háve to wear...
    There must be a traditional Dutch hat of some kind you can wear.

I have a selection of hats, all from Lock & Co, that go perfectly in my Healey. Sadly they lost the mould for their pith helmet in my size so I'm still on the lookout for one of those, and the bearskin sticks out too far above the windscreen.
    "A man of little significance"

I wear a light weight ventilated baseball cap designed for runners and outdoor activities - mainly to keep the sun out of my eyes.

I also have a thermal knitted mountaineering hat for when its cold. Wearing this with a goose down coat and the heater on, driving in freezing temperatures is fine.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    There must be a traditional Dutch hat of some kind you can wear.
    There is. My grandpa wore one éverywhere, even on his 250cc Puch to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    There is. My grandpa wore one éverywhere, even on his 250cc Puch to work.

There you go. What a dapper chap.
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    Aha. The good old Alpino Cap aka Blood Blister! Nice!

Menno

Banned
    Blog Entries

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Aha. The good old Alpino Cap aka Blood Blister! Nice!

Menno
    Not designed for a sunny climate though and offers nó sun shade for the eyes whatsoever.

Blog Entries
    True. Not designed for the climate in the south of Spain. Having said that, what has been designed for that climate. What do (or did) locals wear when working the land etc.? After all, centuries of experience with being exposed to the must have resulted in a perfect solution.

In the meantime: Kangol has a few light-coloured linen caps for sale. When looking at them, I would say that Kangol is a modern brand that steers away from the Meldrew image.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 20th February 2019 at 15:31.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    True. Not designed for the climate in the south of Spain. Having said that, what has been designed for that climate. What do (or did) locals wear when working the land etc.? After all, centuries of experience with being exposed to the must have resulted in a perfect solution.
    Ohh, yes there are perfect hats that keep your head cool. Wide rimmed, ventilated, featherlight and ..... totally unsuitable in cabrio.
    There ís however a local andalucian variant of the flat cap which is like knitted from split mountain grass leaves. Have not seen one recently so no looked at it from cabrio wear pov. Am on the outlook for that. Did not see one on the Feria de Ganado in the neighbouring villages last autumn.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    CC's development of the Lotus 7 paved the way for the entire kit car industry for which I give my grateful thanks. When it comes to overall performance kit cars reign supreme IMO, the lack of weight allowing the performance to render the engines power to be secondary. For smiles-per-hour nothing else comes close.

R
    Totally

I built a 585kg Westfield, 173 bhp at the rear wheels through a 4-speed straight cut box, it was insanely quick.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I have a selection of hats, all from Lock & Co, that go perfectly in my Healey. Sadly they lost the mould for their pith helmet in my size so I'm still on the lookout for one of those, and the bearskin sticks out too far above the windscreen.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.