closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chronograph suggestions - 60 minute counter?

Chronograph suggestions - 60 minute counter?

Evening TZ,

As my search for a chronograph running a Lemania 5100 with rotating bezel hasn't been going as well as I'd hoped, I was wondering if there were some other options out there.

Namely for a chronograph with a 60 minute totaliser, multiple hour totaliser and rotating bezel?

I really dislike 30 minute totalisers on 12hr chronos à la Speedy Pro (although I love the watch).

So any suggestions for a chronograph with a 60 minute totaliser as well as a multiple hour totaliser as well as a rotating bezel? Preference for mechanical over quartz but open to suggestions. Must be analogue.

Hugh

Master
    If you've got £4k - £10k to spend, there's the Breguet XXI, in steel or titanium. Alternatively, you could have my Revue Thommen Airspeed Titanium Chrono with the Lemania 5100, for £1250.

Revue Thommen

Breguet XXI

You can still find chronographs with 5100 and rotating bezel.
    Tutima used to make this:

Or its modern incarnation with the modded ETA 7750:

I think Damasko is using the same movement in some of their latest chronos.
    Also if you are into vintage, look for Lorenz with 5100.
    Or as an alternative Fortis used to make the Cosmonauts Chronograph with Lemania both in the original smaller case and the newer, larger (B-42?) case design.
    All these having rotating bezel.
    Good luck for your hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Chronograph suggestions - 60 minute counter?

I know you aren’t keen on the styling of the Revue Thommen. How about a Hamilton? There were a few on eBay when I was looking for my Fortis recently. Very similar to the Sinn 156 but quite a bit cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    Tutima used to make this:Or its modern incarnation with the modded ETA 7750:I think Damasko is using the same movement in some of their latest chronos.
    Indeed. Damasko have done a major rework of the 7750 movement to make their basically inhouse C51 movement. I like this watch a lot, good pricing too. Here'a a couple of links to info and review.

https://www.damasko-watches.com/en/m...om-the-middle/
    https://wornandwound.com/review/revi...0-chronograph/
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    How essential is th Lemania 5100? This Tag Aquagraph runs a ETA 2892-2 base movement with a Dubois Depraz 2073 chronograph module stacked on top.
    It provides exactly what you ask for and i have been using one for over ten years now with no issues. They are perfect for deco diving which was my primary reason for getting one.

Could always go for the new Sinn EZM1.1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    If you've got £4k - £10k to spend, there's the Breguet XXI, in steel or titanium. Alternatively, you could have my Revue Thommen Airspeed Titanium Chrono with the Lemania 5100, for £1250.
    Thank you - the RT doesn't really click but certainly fulfills all criteria. And the Breguet...Needs more investigation as that's cracking!

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Indeed. Damasko have done a major rework of the 7750 movement to make their basically inhouse C51 movement. I like this watch a lot, good pricing too. Here'a a couple of links to info and review.

https://www.damasko-watches.com/en/m...om-the-middle/
    https://wornandwound.com/review/revi...0-chronograph/
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    Could always go for the new Sinn EZM1.1 ?
    Many thanks for the suggestions Bazza and Magirus - unfortunately the 1.1 and Damasko lack the hour counter that I'm after. If course you can use the bezel, but I'm after the ability to time two things which these two wouldn't allow. Cracking looking watches though.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    How essential is th Lemania 5100? This Tag Aquagraph runs a ETA 2892-2 base movement with a Dubois Depraz 2073 chronograph module stacked on top.
    It provides exactly what you ask for and i have been using one for over ten years now with no issues. They are perfect for deco diving which was my primary reason for getting one.
    That does indeed provide exactly what I'm after, and it's a very impressive bit of kit indeed (IIRC I think you may have previously mentioned the chronograph pushers can be used under water?). It's just the styling doesn't work for me really. Extremely technically impressive though!

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I know you aren’t keen on the styling of the Revue Thommen. How about a Hamilton? There were a few on eBay when I was looking for my Fortis recently. Very similar to the Sinn 156 but quite a bit cheaper.

Lovely looking thing. Do you know if they come in any other bezel colours? This may sound daft, but I have a Sub and another black bezel therefore would feel too similar despite the hugely enhanced functionally.

It's a contender nonetheless though as it does tick every box

Edit: looks like it does indeed come in a variety of flavours of dials and bezels, that's great. The Hamilton HTC is my favourite by a long long way, that's gorgeous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    Tutima used to make this:

Or its modern incarnation with the modded ETA 7750:

I think Damasko is using the same movement in some of their latest chronos.
    Also if you are into vintage, look for Lorenz with 5100.
    Or as an alternative Fortis used to make the Cosmonauts Chronograph with Lemania both in the original smaller case and the newer, larger (B-42?) case design.
    All these having rotating bezel.
    Good luck for your hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Oof, thank you - the Tutima Saxon One chronograph looks absolutely gorgeous with that 7750 mod. Great to see they're trying to emulate the 5100 with new movements.

Looks like it's 43mm case which wouldn't work on my wrist. Unless the lug to lug is sub 50? Can't find that measurement anywhere though. Still hunting as it looks very promising indeed. Thank you.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 18th February 2019 at 11:37.

Seems to me you need to look for one of these

But you will have to be patient, they were a special order from Tutima, or, like mine, issued to ZUZ in very limited numbers. It is model code 750-42.
    Sinn's chronograph range includes the 60 min totaliser (with 12 hrs) on the EZM10, U1000 and the new 140 re-issue. Tutima do theirs (Saxon 1 as well as the new M range), B&R did the blackbird LE (which I thought was lovely), or, as stated before, the Lorenz is a good vintage alternative, even if the bezel is the wrong colour.
    Dave
    Last edited by sweets; 18th February 2019 at 13:11. Reason: add u1000

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Seems to me you need to look for one of these

snip

But you will have to be patient, they were a special order from Tutima, or, like mine, issued to ZUZ in very limited numbers. It is model code 750-42.
    Sinn's chronograph range includes the 60 min totaliser (with 12 hrs) on the EZM10, U1000 and the new 140 re-issue. Tutima do theirs (Saxon 1 as well as the new M range), B&R did the blackbird LE (which I thought was lovely), or, as stated before, the Lorenz is a good vintage alternative, even if the bezel is the wrong colour.
    Dave
    That Tutima is great, but it's going to be too large for my wrists, and the same goes for the EZM10 and U1000 all above 43mm, although it's possible the lug to lug makes them feasible.

The Lorenz would be on my wrist if I didn't have a Sub - it's just too much of a homage piece to appeal, despite the fact that it has functions never before seen on a Sub!

I think I've found the answer in a Hamilton though, just the model is proving hard to track down:

- Rotating bezel...tick
    - 12 hr chronograph...tick
    - 60 minute counter...tick
    - Sub 42mm (at 38)....tick

Just now to find what the heck that model actually is!
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 18th February 2019 at 18:06.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    That Tutima is great, but it's going to be too large for my wrists, and the same goes for the EZM10 and U1000 all above 43mm, although it's possible the lug to lug makes them feasible.

The Lorenz would be on my wrist if I didn't have a Sub - it's just too much of a homage piece to appeal, despite the fact that it has functions never before seen on a Sub!

I think I've found the answer in a Hamilton though, just the model is proving hard to track down:

- Rotating bezel...tick
    - 12 hr chronograph...tick
    - 60 minute counter...tick
    - Sub 42mm (at 38)....tick

Just now to find what the heck that model actually is!
    These were not really codified. They are all marked Hamilton UTC, and all Hamilton Lancaster, with the crest on the back. They came in 1341 and 5012 and 5100 guise, with a non-numeral bezel like that, with a 1-12 bezel or with a fixed Tachy, but all based on the same case with the distinct skinny lugs with a large external chamfer.
    I had one too, which was not a looker.

I did the only sensible thing, and took it to pieces to transplant the movement into a Porsche Design case that I had.
    I still have the case (now blasted) with the unidirectional bezel and I have a chronosport Lemania movement that I was going to transplant back into it, with a custom dial and a Sinn handset.
    Dave

Craftsman
    That does indeed provide exactly what I'm after, and it's a very impressive bit of kit indeed (IIRC I think you may have previously mentioned the chronograph pushers can be used under water?). It's just the styling doesn't work for me really. Extremely technically impressive though!
    Yes, underwater use.

That Hamilton you have spotted though is stunning, i would happily wear that as a daily do anything.

There are two versions of that Hamilton on Chrono24, and 2 more on Ebay. None with a black dial though

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Yes, underwater use.

That Hamilton you have spotted though is stunning, i would happily wear that as a daily do anything.
    I'm certainly hoping I'll be able to obtain one to do just that!

These were not really codified. They are all marked Hamilton UTC, and all Hamilton Lancaster, with the crest on the back. They came in 1341 and 5012 and 5100 guise, with a non-numeral bezel like that, with a 1-12 bezel or with a fixed Tachy, but all based on the same case with the distinct skinny lugs with a large external chamfer.
    I had one too, which was not a looker.

I did the only sensible thing, and took it to pieces to transplant the movement into a Porsche Design case that I had.
    I still have the case (now blasted) with the unidirectional bezel and I have a chronosport Lemania movement that I was going to transplant back into it, with a custom dial and a Sinn handset.
    Dave
    Brilliant to hear that you've actually had experience with these - I'm amazed I've never come across them before given the number of searches for this exact type of watch.

How's the Porsche Design behaving as the host of the movement - did it work well?

There are two versions of that Hamilton on Chrono24, and 2 more on Ebay. None with a black dial though
    Yes indeed, not a great selection out there currently. This may need to be a waiting game.

Looks like it's 43mm case which wouldn't work on my wrist. Unless the lug to lug is sub 50? Can't find that measurement anywhere though. Still hunting as it looks very promising indeed. Thank you.
    I hate the phrase "wears smaller than it looks" because it's usually bullsh*t but at 43mm wide and also 43mm lug to lug it's quite accurate with the Tutima. Still one of my current favourite watches:

Master
    Sinn EZM10

Master
    Breitling - Quartz

Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    Sinn EZM10

It's unquestionably well built and technically very good...but just too big for my wrist unfortunately at 46.5mm across and 53.2 lug to lug.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 21st February 2019 at 17:56.

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Breitling - Quartz

I had no idea breitling made such a cool movement! Great to see.
    Another that just won't work on my wrist unfortunately.

Is there a name for a chronograph subdial where the minute and hour hand are combined on the same subdial to act as a combined minute and hour totaliser? Like on the Omega PO 9300?

It's a great thing and ticks my criteria perfectly! Shame the PO is such a massive watch at 45.5mm and 19mm thick! and the other watches they make with the movement all seem to have a fixed tachy bezel.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...23232465101005

Last edited by hughtrimble; 26th February 2019 at 01:17.

Is there a name for a chronograph subdial where the minute and hour hand are combined on the same subdial to act as a combined minute and hour totaliser? Like on the Omega PO 9300?

Just FYi, at the cheaper end of the scale the Pulsar YM92-X170 in the RAF Pulsar Gen 2 has this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Just FYi, at the cheaper end of the scale the Pulsar YM92-X170 in the RAF Pulsar Gen 2 has this feature.
    That's a lovely feature and one I've not ever noticed being highlighted before. Any idea if any versions of those came with an inner/outer rotating bezel?

That's a lovely feature and one I've not ever noticed being highlighted before. Any idea if any versions of those came with an inner/outer rotating bezel?
    Sorry, but I only know it in the RAF Pulsar and no rotating bezel. I also have a military 5100 but again no rotating bezel.

I think that Pulsar quartz was also used in Lorus watches. Maybe a trip to Ebay might find a Lorus with a bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Sorry, but I only know it in the RAF Pulsar and no rotating bezel. I also have a military 5100 but again no rotating bezel.

I think that Pulsar quartz was also used in Lorus watches. Maybe a trip to Ebay might find a Lorus with a bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many thanks and I'll pursue the Lorus path.

You should also check out the ETA 251.262 watches like the Maurice lAcoix Miros chronograph (old version) and Certins DS First chronograph (original and the ceramic) all of whom have decent WR, 0-60 bezel and a full compliment of 251.262 features.

D

You should also check out the ETA 251.262 watches like the Maurice lAcoix Miros chronograph (old version) and Certins DS First chronograph (original and the ceramic) all of whom have decent WR, 0-60 bezel and a full compliment of 251.262 features.

D
    Brilliant. And searching just for that movement somehow revealed the 17c Precista of these very forums! Though rather less visually appealing than the Lacroix you noted.

Many thanks. Lots of food for thought.

Looks like some iterations of the Seiko 7T92 have a sub dial at 6 which had both minute and hour hands on the same dial.

Quite a few of the Casio Aviator-types have a 12hr and 60 minute register, such as the MTP-4500 and rotating slide rule bezel
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 2nd March 2019 at 03:16.

Master
    Yes. I have Alba with that movement. Subdial at 12 is 1/20 sec, 6 has stacked hour and minute counter.

Master

Stacked counter.

Also vintage Seiko 7016 has the same feature, and also flyback.

Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    Stacked counter.

Also vintage Seiko 7016 has the same feature, and also flyback.
    Oh yes, many thanks. The 7016 definitely beats the 7T92 simply due to being mechanical, though can't currently find a 7016 with a rotating bezel...

A very enjoyable hunt this, and thank you for the additional lead.