closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Certina Diver Chronograph with 50% discount - I'm impressed

Certina Diver Chronograph with 50% discount - I'm impressed

To be honest Certina was never really on my radar. Even though I appreciate their heritage - especially vintage DS divers - I never really considered having a modern Certina mostly due to their position within Swatch Group.
    My impression was that Swatch positionned the brand mainstream and not necessary exciting for a WIS.

However I spotted some time ago their DS Action Diver Chrnograph, which I found had a bold but well balanced design.
    Some say it has many clues from other brands but there is so many similarly designed dive watches on the market that I'm already happy if I find a well balanced, logical dial out there.
    This has a nice simmetry with the two sub-dial layout. I have only reservation for the withe date wheel, which I frankly don't understand. But hey ho at the time of the first overhaul I can opt for a date wheel change.

I remembered seeing one going for a good price on Ebay some time ago. So when it came to searching for a proper birthday gift I had a quick look.
    And then I was utterly surprised to see some sites offering them with huge discount, even up to 50%!
    It is a discontinued model now and I'm aware that some mainstream brands are using the strategy to initially put a higher price tag on their watches just to offer it later with a huge discount.
    (Remembering ML doing this for example.)
    Seeing the price I still thought it was a very good offer for a real diver chrono with the reliable ETA 7753.
    Ordered it and had it in hand the next day. All I can say I'm very impressed!

Since this model was on the market since 2012 you can find reviews online, therefore I would just share some points why I think this is a fantastic offering from Certina.

Keep in mind it's a big, heavy sport watch but not impossible to wear even on smaller wrist like mine.

This is a real divers watch. Even though states only 200M due to ISO 6425 regulations it is tested for 250M and having all what the DS concept can offer. Plenty of sealing.

Naturally all pushers and crown are screwed in and the black PVD locks around the pushers create a strong masculine look.
    You can read in reviews about the He valve at 10... In fact it's the date advancing push button thanks to the 7753 construction.
    Nice detail that the bezel cut out is located to fit nicely to the case shaping around the pushers:

The bezel insert is not sapphire but apparently hesalite with lumed marking between the triangle and the 20 mark.
    This is a nice vintage hint in my view and surely a better option as aluminium would be.
    Most likely you can polish out small scratches and the surface of the bezel is smooth without sticking out lume pipe etc.
    Bezel action is firm but smooth. And you always have good grip due to the big theeth.

The overall quality is superb for the price point.
    Very crisp text on dial,

three different finishing on the crown,

evenly applied lume on the markers,

lumed running and also chrono second hand,

Lume is not as nuclear as Seiko Divers, but staying until morning and that's more important to me.

Even case back details are impressive:

The shiny black dial reflects light nicely. All the functions are smooth but firm. Even accuracy is spot on. Not a single second deviation since 4 days! Wow!
    What else can I ask from a brand new, functional diver with automatic chronograph movement for less than 1000 EUR new?
    I would say it even gives massively a run for their money for more WIS orientated brands like Sinn for example. (Even the cheaper Guinand can not offer anything like that in this segment)
    Even smallers like Steinhart or other micro brands are more expensive.
    In my view this is a no brainer and needless to say I'm very happy with my purchase.
    (Excuse the lower quality images. These are all Iphone pictures, some with a free clipsed macro lens.)

Thanks for reading,
    Csaba
    Last edited by witti; 17th February 2019 at 20:08.

Master
    By curious coincidence, I've just been looking at similar Certina watches (though quartz in my case). They do look good don't they - and not at normal Swiss silly prices!

This looks really nice. Certina have come to my attention as I've been thinking about getting the reissue DS PH200M as a holiday watch, which looks great. They certainly seem to offer value for money and have a good diving heritage.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

It does look good and for less that’s £1000, seems to be very good value considering the movement.
    I really like it.

Yep Certina do make some good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    By curious coincidence, I've just been looking at similar Certina watches (though quartz in my case). They do look good don't they - and not at normal Swiss silly prices!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It does look good and for less that’s £1000, seems to be very good value considering the movement.
    I really like it.
    Exactly my thinking. Finally I get value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Strebor View Post
    This looks really nice. Certina have come to my attention as I've been thinking about getting the reissue DS PH200M as a holiday watch, which looks great. They certainly seem to offer value for money and have a good diving heritage.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    The DS PH200M is a handsome watch for sure, especially on brown leather.

Craftsman
    The date is in a strange position and puts me off the watch ,though it is good value

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    I'm coveting the Certina DS Action Quartz Titanium atm. The bezel cut out shape is the same as yours I think.

Congrats on the new purchase. It's a really impressive piece.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Master
    Lovely diver chrono' & thanks for the review. A lot of watch for relatively little money.

Master
    Superb review with some fabulous macro shots, many thanks.

Craftsman
    That is lovely. Is it heavy on the bracelet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Looks a great watch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
    That is lovely. Is it heavy on the bracelet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would say yes. It is comparable to Seiko MM300 on bracelet, if that says something.
    Still it seats comfortable even on smaller wrist.

Journeyman
    Hi Csaba

Lovely watch.. Your photos are superb and really show the details in the watch and the workmanship involved in it. I do think Certina are under rated as a brand. However it proves you can still get a lot of watch for the price point. I am interested where you saw this at 50% off as it is a lovely watch and one I would be interested in.

Just out of interest I see your name, are you Hungarian?

Quote Originally Posted by L8_M8 View Post
    Hi Csaba

Lovely watch.. Your photos are superb and really show the details in the watch and the workmanship involved in it. I do think Certina are under rated as a brand. However it proves you can still get a lot of watch for the price point. I am interested where you saw this at 50% off as it is a lovely watch and one I would be interested in.

Just out of interest I see your name, are you Hungarian?
    Thanks, yes, I'm guessing my name is already a give away on origins :)
    I ordered the watch from chronoline.de here in Germany. I think they still have it in stock.

Apprentice
    Great review and photos.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    Thanks, yes, I'm guessing my name is already a give away on origins :)
    I ordered the watch from chronoline.de here in Germany. I think they still have it in stock.
    Thanks Csaba I will check it out.

Master
    Just reviving this thread...
    One question - what is the lug width on that? I can't find any proper information, and some seller sites quote awkward sizes like 19mm!

As I mentioned I've been looking at some S/H Certina Quartz models, especially on a well known online auction site. Oddly every one seems to have suffered awful scratching - probably better described as scars rather than scratches - on the caseback. One can only presume these were inflicted when changing the battery. This seems too odd to be a coincidence - one ham fisted clown yes, but several? I'm not one to worry about light scratches, but I'm slightly concerned about great gouges!

Can someone please explain why a 200m diver's watch would only have a 30 minute timer capability? I'm probably missing the point so would love to know. Stunning watch by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Can someone please explain why a 200m diver's watch would only have a 30 minute timer capability? I'm probably missing the point so would love to know. Stunning watch by the way.
    Too much thinking I would say :)
    My guess would be that they decide on the dial layout for example. Take a two subdial format (to mimic a bit the Omega PO chrono for example) and take a movement from the shelf, in this case the ETA 7753, you end up leaving out the hour totalizator. But can offer a mainly symmetrical dial chrono for a relatively good price and apparently not very many people will complain that chrono timing is short on their dive. For tose (how many of them?)the clever using of the rotating bezel can be an option? Just my two pence.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Hadn't seen this write-up before - a good read, and strongly agree that the quality of this range is (was...) superlative, especially at their modest prices. I have the quartz-powered 3-hander from this range, and there is no compromise in the build quality just because it has a (top quality) quartz movement powering it - same applied indices, sapphire crystal, ceramic rather than hesalite bezel, 300m WR, and the single best steel bracelet I have yet encountered - solid, beautifully finished, extremely comfortable, and with an incredibly functional and useful ratcheting diver's extension on the clasp for those "fat wrist" days...

If it has a "fault", it's that it's so pretty it preys on my irrationality, and I rarely wear it for fear of knocking it about...

I had that model with the black dial and thought the same as you about it. My issue was chapter ring and bezel misalignment. I returned it to Ernest Jones for an exchange but they were all misaligned.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Hadn't seen this write-up before - a good read, and strongly agree that the quality of this range is (was...) superlative, especially at their modest prices. I have the quartz-powered 3-hander from this range, and there is no compromise in the build quality just because it has a (top quality) quartz movement powering it - same applied indices, sapphire crystal, ceramic rather than hesalite bezel, 300m WR, and the single best steel bracelet I have yet encountered - solid, beautifully finished, extremely comfortable, and with an incredibly functional and useful ratcheting diver's extension on the clasp for those "fat wrist" days...

If it has a "fault", it's that it's so pretty it preys on my irrationality, and I rarely wear it for fear of knocking it about...

I had that model with the black dial and thought the same as you about it. My issue was chapter ring and bezel misalignment. I returned it to Ernest Jones for an exchange but they were all misaligned.
    That is annoying and disappointing, to say the least. This example does at least line-up perfectly. Sounds like I was luckier than I knew, not least because I bought it from ebay when I was absolutely howling drunk, and was more than a bit taken-aback when it showed-up a few days later!

Haha, I did that once and a Tag Quartz Chrono turned up!

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    That is annoying and disappointing, to say the least. This example does at least line-up perfectly. Sounds like I was luckier than I knew, not least because I bought it from ebay when I was absolutely howling drunk, and was more than a bit taken-aback when it showed-up a few days later!

Haha, I did that once and a Tag Quartz Chrono turned up!
    That could have been worse I guess.

Luckily, I learn from experience, and have not at-all recently acquired an unexpected eco-drive Citizen following a particularly crapulous evening during which no Responsible Adults were present to separate idiot-from-laptop ..... which to get my conscience off its hook will go in the Fundraiser once I can be arsed to dig my camera out...