closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: No so much of an "old man's watch"

Master

No so much of an "old man's watch"

Took my Sub into Michael Spiers in Exeter today to get the bracelet adjusted. What is a man to do with 5 mins to kill in a shop like that...

I tried this on (not my pic):

Rolex Datejust 116234

Oh... my... word...

It was absolutely stunning. Always dismissed jubilee bracelets and fluted bezels but actually that whole package is stunning. Size, feel, comfort, everything. Here I was thinking my long term watch purchase aim was a 42.3mm IWC Portuguese... I think it might be a 36mm Datejust. Would compliment my Sub beautifully. Mind you by the time I can justify the purchase I will be an "old man" anyway. I know there was one on the SC recently, but as per my Investment chat in the George and Dragon now is not the right time dammit!

Simply stunning watch though.

Grand Master
    Surprising how folks have a preconception that 36mm isn't big enough till they try this one. Far more appealing, in my opinion, than any of the divers and chronos out there. I have an earlier Datejust with fluted bezel, considered selling but I think I`d miss it too much.

The blue stick dial is the best combination for the steel model, silver dial's best for the bimetal.

Craftsman
    Yea I’m with you on that - lovely bit of kit and feels really solid. Keeping a close eye on what Basel may bring...slightly thinner case perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Now you clearly can see why it’s Rolexes best selling watch....and has been for decades. Personally, I prefer the smooth bezel (less ‘old man’) but there’s plenty of choice. Jubilee bracelet every time. Also like the 41mm version better.

Or, smooth bezel...

And this has the 10atm lock-down crown, new 70-hour power reserve and tremendous ruggedness. In fact it’s a ‘sports watch’ in classical dress. Cheaper too.
    The greatest Rolex? Certainly in the running.
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th February 2019 at 19:25.

I bought mine in 1984 when I was 27. It was worn 24/7 for 20yrs, including working as a Firefighter, until I visited this forum and got the bug. It's been up mountains, climbing in the Cuillins, windsurfing in the North Sea, cycled up Alpe d'Huez, etc etc. It's my most accurate mechanical, less than +1sec per day.

F.T.F.A.

I had a 16013 and recently sold it. I’ve been regretting it ever since..
    Iuckily they’re easily attainable so might be on the lookout again. I’d love a DJ with blue dial especially the newer ones with concealed clasp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    An absolute stunner. That roulette date wheel as well. So beautiful

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I bought mine in 1984 when I was 27. It was worn 24/7 for 20yrs, including working as a Firefighter, until I visited this forum and got the bug. It's been up mountains, climbing in the Cuillins, windsurfing in the North Sea, cycled up Alpe d'Huez, etc etc. It's my most accurate mechanical, less than +1sec per day.

What a beauty. Looks awesome on that leather strap as well! Hope you still wear it.

Craftsman
    This is my blue dj, of the 41 variety. Feels just the right size for me...

I had a similar experience. Walked in to the ad for something else, spotted it in the window, tried it on and loved it. After a few weeks of pondering, it was ordered and on my wrist shortly after. Refreshing to get a new Rolex in this way...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post

I had a similar experience. Walked in to the ad for something else, spotted it in the window, tried it on and loved it. After a few weeks of pondering, it was ordered and on my wrist shortly after. Refreshing to get a new Rolex in this way...

That’s a good looking watch.. might be time to get the name down for one on jubilee

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Great watch but I prefer the smooth bezel which is cleaner and more masculine looking. The fluted bezel looks great on the ladies DJ

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    If you're getting a smooth bezel, just save the money and get an OP, at least then you don't get the date bubble. In my opinion the fluted bezel is what makes it a DJ, and the jubilee bracelet complements that nicely. Agree that the blue dial is the best one, if only it didn't have the fussy Roman numeral minute track.

Master
    Any excuse to post another pic of this beauty...

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    What a beauty. Looks awesome on that leather strap as well! Hope you still wear it.

Thank you! I do indeed still wear it regularly.
    F.T.F.A.

OP that 116234 looks fantastic. I am fighting the urge to get one (I'd go fluted with white dial romans on jubilee). As you say, the 36mm just works so wepl and is by no means small.

Master

My biggest selling regret was my 116234. The only consolation is that I sold it to someone on the forum so hopefully might get it back some day!

Master
    The attraction of the smooth bezel is that it is noticeably less ‘flashy’. This can offset the shininess of the Jubilee bracelet to make a well-balanced combination. Especially with a ‘stick’ dial.
    So many choices in this range.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post

Lovely, I am tempted now!