closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What do you do with old straps?

Craftsman

What do you do with old straps?

I have accumulated a few straps that look "worn". if the watch is in fairly heavy rotation, i find a strap will last a year or so, at which point it looks dirty, darkened in places (on lighter straps) and probably rough and creased around the hole i use on the strap.

Ive tried cleaning them, warm water with a small amount of detergent or soap, leather cleaner, just warm water, and usually, when dry a bit of leather conditioner. Although it improves them, they rarely look brilliant again.

Do you guys have any tricks to prolong the life of a strap and keep it looking new?
    At what point do you just take off the springbars & buckle and throw it away?
    Would you even save the springbars?

The strap is a disposable item
    When they are worn I throw them away
    If the buckle is worth saving (OEM) I keep it if not it goes in the bin as well.
    That said, I tend not to buy watches on leather straps as I don’t like them and all watches seem better ‘value’ when bought with the bracelet.
    Re prolonging life other than keeping them clean and maybe a bit of neutral colour leather polish every now and again there is not much you can do.

I wear leather a lot and strange as it may seem part of this is to keep the bracelets in good condition as I work at a desk and on computers a lot which results in inevitable desk dive marks. As for what to do with the leather once done, well for me it depends on the strap. Some look better once beaten up a bit.

Yes, as said, they're a disposable item. Having said that, I expect a decent leather strap to last a few years and some look better with age. There are so many lovely straps these days, they're binned as soon as they begin to look weary in favour of a new one (of which I have more than my fair share). Buckles are kept. Spring bars I change every year regardless.

I've just realised that I bought my Rios Juchten strap in 2007! I cleaned and treated it last week to put on my Everest 36mm. It looks a little more "lived in" now. It certainly gives the watch a vintage look . . .

F.T.F.A.

I had a beautiful CF strap, supplied OEM, that lasted a decade of pretty heavy use. Admittedly it was £290 to replace, but I just couldn’t buy anything else for the watch in question, the CF strap was so perfect for it.

When done - bin.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I've just realised that I bought my Rios Juchten strap in 2007! I cleaned and treated it last week to put on my Everest 36mm. It looks a little more "lived in" now. It certainly gives the watch a vintage look . . .

I have a handful like that, not broken, but looking a bit worn. They can suit some watches I guess. Certainly looks good on that watch.

Funny thing is I have one leather strap that looks as new after 5 years of regular use. It just hasn't aged. And it was less than 20 quid from TSS! Have since ordered another for an incoming watch.
    Last edited by Wilson_smyth; 17th February 2019 at 21:05.

I shouldn’t want a leather strap not to age though - that’s the whole charm of the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    I have a handful like that, not broken, but looking a bit worn. They can suit some watches I guess. Certainly looks good on that watch.

Funny thing is I have one leather strap that looks as new after 5 years of regular use. It just hasn't aged. And it was less than 20 quid from TSS! Have since ordered another for an incoming watch.
    The Juchten leather that the Rios is made from is incredibly hard wearing, it's Russian bark tanned cow hide. This strap has had a lot of wear time on my 2 Damaskos and it's barely creased, the hole it's been fastened with has barely stretched. The only other strap I have kept for years is like yours from TSS, a Titan that I had waiting to go on my original Everest in early December 2011, it's also extremely hard wearing.
    F.T.F.A.