closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: H Moser Pioneer Centre Seconds

Journeyman

H Moser Pioneer Centre Seconds

Hi all,

I’m becoming more drawn to Moser, and in particular the Pioneer Centre seconds.

On searching forums I can’t seem to find any long term reviews of this piece so wanted to reach out to any owners for their thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Nice enough watch but at 42.8mm it's far too big

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Or your wrist is too small..

Craftsman
    If you are thinking of this model (200 in stainless steel with tungsten rotor), I absolutely love it.

This was an impulse purchase. I went into William and Son to look at an MG, but they did not have the model I wanted. Whilst I was finishing my coffee they asked me if there was anything else I wished to look at, and I mentioned that I love Moser, but prefer steel, and I didn't think they did one. "Oh, but they do Sir!". I had trouble prising it off my wrist, and we began immediately to "discuss" the price. Less than fifteen minutes after discovering its existence, I owned one -- and have not remotely regretted it.

Recognise though a couple of things. It is a big watch (almost 43mm x around 15mm with the pronounced bulge in the crystal). Also, it has an identity crisis -- it is big, on a rubber strap, screwed crown and WR 120m (all of which says "sport watch"), but it doesn't look like a sport watch.

Despite its dimensions, it is very comfortable indeed.

Absolutely love it (did I already say that?) -- and would thoroughly recommend (if you have a reasonably sized wrist).

Last edited by Yokel; 17th February 2019 at 16:21.

It's too big for my wrist, but it's a case of horses for courses isn't it? On a larger wrist that's a fine looking thing.
    Moser make some beautiful stuff.

Master
    Absolutely great watch.
    I have it on a kudu or blue OEM croc strap. Very comfortable, easy to wear, an it keeps my interest via the dial, hour markers always changing.
    Highly recommended.
    I will do a post with pics of the new bracelet I have just bought for it (just come out with the Pioneer diver).

Last edited by JP28; 17th February 2019 at 16:37.

No my wrist size is medium with sweet spot of 38 to 40. Many watches out there are simply too big resembling dinner plates or dustbin lids, however I think the trend for big watches is slowing down.

And my wrist is just over 8" so 43mm is not an issue at all. So declaring this too big is not a universal truth. It might be too big for you, but not for everyone.

Craftsman
    One other small point. Because of the absence of minute markers in the chapter ring, the watch is quite difficult to set accurately except at the "five minute" marks (I always do it on the "five").
    Small price to pay for the look of the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    If you are thinking of this model (200 in stainless steel with tungsten rotor), I absolutely love it.

This was an impulse purchase. I went into William and Son to look at an MG, but they did not have the model I wanted. Whilst I was finishing my coffee they asked me if there was anything else I wished to look at, and I mentioned that I love Moser, but prefer steel, and I didn't think they did one. "Oh, but they do Sir!". I had trouble prising it off my wrist, and we began immediately to "discuss" the price. Less than fifteen minutes after discovering its existence, I owned one -- and have not remotely regretted it.

Recognise though a couple of things. It is a big watch (almost 43mm x around 15mm with the pronounced bulge in the crystal). Also, it has an identity crisis -- it is big, on a rubber strap, screwed crown and WR 120m (all of which says "sport watch"), but it doesn't look like a sport watch.

Despite its dimensions, it is very comfortable indeed.

Absolutely love it (did I already say that?) -- and would thoroughly recommend (if you have a reasonably sized wrist).

Looks great. This is easily one of my favorite watches.

Interested to hear why you feel it doesn't look like a sports watch.

Case size, case details, lumed hands, rubber strap, even the markers all say sports watch to me.

H.Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds Review
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/h-moser...econds-review/

Also read the comments below the article...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Also read the comments below the article...

I think the review is fair. It certainly does sit between sport and dress.

However, I think that the comments below must have been written by people who have never actually experienced the watch. And, if I wished to be derogatory, probably people who will be unlikely to get one on their wrist.

I continue to regard it as one of my favourite watches (but, I must admit that by watch forum standards I have odd taste )

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice! Good design always recognises "less is more". Exudes Quality! Enjoy

I want to really like this watch, but overall it doesn't do it for me in the flesh. The green dial is a stunning variation.

Craftsman
    Nice looking watch but it's just made me realise I have a thing about minute markers. All my watches have them and I dont think I could do without them on a watch. Never realised that before!!

Blog Entries

H Moser Pioneer Centre Seconds

Probably my favourite watch I have tried over the last few years. Unfortunately too big for me. At 40mm it would be perfect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed 43 is fine on an 8" wrist

Certainly a step in the right direction for you that you've admitted you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Or your wrist is too small..
    No. The watch is too big!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    No. The watch is too big!
    I agree. Narrow-bezel, three-handers over 39mm look like platters on the wrist.
    Last edited by abraxas; 18th February 2019 at 11:13.

I would even say 38mm is too big for such a design. Have you ever seen a 38mm Nomos Orion???

Craftsman
    Interesting digression -- but absolutely a matter of personal taste.

Personally, I dislike any watch which is really "ladies' size" but surrounded by a metal porthole frame to make it look large.

(The French word for porthole is "hublot").

M. Genta does not do it for me -- but, luckily, he appeals to the taste of lots of us.

Again, it all comes down to wrist size.

Do you consider this a platter? 42mm BTW, all dial, narrow bezel. White as well.

I’ve had mine a fair while now, and its got a few battle scars prove it.

Long term pros
    -It runs well, no problems there
    -rubber strap is amongst the best feeling imho (i’ve have/had various rubber straps from the big brands)
    -it’s still a looker despite some bezel scuffs
    -I’ve had the warranty card from day 1

Some cons
    -have to agree the approx 43mm case is too big for such a thin bezel
    -proportionally the marignally thicker Perpetual Pioneer is better
    -lume could be better
    -lugholes super close and low on case, so you need to use curved bars and you need a strap with decent top padding if you want your own straps

Honestly i prefer the Endeavour due to the 40-41mm case size and better dial/case proportions, (kinda wish the endeavour had better WR), that said I still love the pioneer and it’s gets worn on a regular basis

And pics.....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrxaiCIH-4k

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqYGxvDHl4e

After those glamor shots.....
    a group photo taken with a potato
    Last edited by endo; 19th February 2019 at 08:14.

Journeyman
    Thanks for all of you responses.

I’ve managed to try the Pioneer on again and on reflection it is too big.

However I have also managed to try in the Pilot edition for Bucherer and have to say I’m smitten. I really expected not to like this piece but in the metal it’s nicer than any pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk