closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Intro page?

Banned

Intro page?

Hello chaps

I am a seasoned watch geek but haven't thus far spent much time chatting on a forum about my hobby. However, I'm now feeling it's time to change that.

I'm accessing TZ via Tapatalk. I don't see a 'hi, I'm new here' page, or indeed a sales page (yep, I have that addiction, lol, although have had a bit of a spree lately so trying to hold fire for a while).

I would be most grateful for a quick heads up from a kind TZer re the above and any other critical TZ info you think I should know.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!

We need to see your collection mate! All part of the spirit of a TZer. Sales Corner you won't see for a while as you need so many posts ( Please don't speed post) you'll be found out.

Enjoy your time here buddy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks bro. I will be really haopy to share my collection with you all!

Re the sales forum, needing a fair few posts is probably a good thing for me atm. Save me from myself!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Eski; 17th February 2019 at 08:52.

Intro posts usually appear right here - in watch talk so you got the right area. Good start . What got you into the hobby, and how has your collection evolved? Be good to see what you have, what you had and what you’d LIKE to have. Welcome to the madhouse

Banned
    Cheers Rusty.

What got me into the hobby? Hmm, good question.

I guess it just evolved. However, I do remember that a good friend of mine was a watch enthusiast (or sorts - he liked anything that he felt had a bit of status, be that a car, bigger house etc!).

Anyway, he had a watch (not sure what it was) thst was a diver. Classic black face, black bezel, steel.

Up until that point I'd had a few watches but nothing of any real note and I didn't pay watches much attention. However, I thought this style (which I now know to be Rolex Sub style of course) looked pretty spiffy.

So, I set about finding myself a watch of that type.

After looking around I settled on a Seiko SKA371 (the BFK). I consider it the first of my watch hobbyist collection. I still wear it now. I bought it in 2008.

I bought it on rubber (the P2) but a few years back bought a strapcode oyster for it.

Anyway, posts like mine become pretty boring without pics, so give me five and I'll got get it, strap it on and ping a photo :)

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Eski; 17th February 2019 at 19:07. Reason: Typo

Banned
    I must admit that I'm quite proud of the strapcode bracelet on this one.

I deliberated between this and the official Seiko one, but i felt the strapcode links were flatter and better distributed in terms of 'column size' (on the Seiko rhe centre column tends to be wider so the outside columns are pretty thin).

I wanted a bracelet thst looked a little more vintage looking, so to my eye the strapcode accomplished that better.

Also, it has screw pins vs Seiko push pins, and a solid machined clasp vs Seiko stamped clasp.

When i received the bracelet it didn't quite fit between the BFK lugs, so i bought a diamond file and gently filed it until it slipped in.

Last edited by Eski; 17th February 2019 at 11:29.

Banned
    Oh, and full disclosure guys...

I'm pretty much a quartz guy!!

I see many beautiful mechanicals I like, but my experiences of the same have left me frustrated as I'm pretty OCD about accuracy.

I'm very interested in mechanical watches, and have not ruled out trying one again some day, but right now I'm still scarred from my last experience which left me frustrated and significantly out of pocket!

Last edited by Eski; 17th February 2019 at 11:27.

Craftsman
    Sounds like there’s a bit of a story there?!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Haha, yes there is!

However, I shall save that tale of woe for later :)

I'm going to take a load of wrist shots of my current collection (which isnt huge, around 15 pieces) so there's some pics to balance out the words, and I'll then get to my mechanical experiences.

However, the boss has chores for today so I'll be back in a few hours!

Blog Entries
    Nice work with the bracelet…

Quartz are very easy to own…. Nowt wrong with a good mechanical though…. And it can be a matter of luck (unless you’re buying from new)

Welcome along…

Banned
    Yes, hear that. Which is why i do not preclude myself from another go at being a mechanical owner.

Thanks for the kind welcome :)

Banned
    So, before I go do my chores, here's the second of my collection (am trying to present in chronological order of purchase).

This is a cheap watch! A Citizen. Cost me just under £100.

Full disclosure, I saw a film called Layer Cake where a pre-Bond Daniel Craig was rocking a rather nice Rolex. In the film you never got a proper close up of said watch, but other watch-film nerds i found posting online reckoned it was an Explorer 1.

At that time there ws no way my budget could stretch to Rolex proportions, so I set about 'scratching that itch'.

Now, to be clear I'm not a fan of homages, so didn't want a watch that was as identical as possible, but rather a watch that to my eye gave the same or similar vibe.

Bare in mind this watch is very inexpensive. It's titanium (both case and bracelet), water resistant to 100m, and, wait for it.. has sapphire crystal!

To my mind that's a pretty awesome combo, at least value wise.

It's also the most accurate non-radio controlled quartz I own. Gains about 1 second a month!

I forget the highly forgettable model code. I'll dig it out if anyone is interested.

Citizen are underrated. Bang per buck they hit well above their weight

Banned
    Next came a whole load of G-Shocks.

I should point out (and indeed it might be obvious by the end of this intro thread) that I'm very much a tool watch sort of guy. Which is not to say I'm not increasingly drawn to more refined pieces as I get older. I certainly am.

However, I see watches as primarily needing to fulfil their primary function (which is, I guess, why I prefer quartz to mechanical), and to be fairly resilient while they're being worn.

Anyway, the G that started my mini-obsession with said brand was the GW-6900 (stock pic).

I currently retain the three in pic 2, although none are currently in rotation. The middle one (informally known as 'King' in G circles) currently resides in my bathroom so the family all know, with radio-controlled accuracy, how late they are for work.

The one on the left is Casio's first gen aviator (three time zones visible simultaneously), and the one on the right is a fitness tracker that connects to your phone via Bluetooth and is able to conduct all sorts of HIIT or similar gym sessions, none of which I've done of late.

I did have three Kings at one point (an orange version and a limited black/gold) but jogged them on to other G enthusiasts.

The one I kept is the only one Casio made with a positive display. Again, function over aesthetics for me. The negative displays look super cool but are a real pain to read in many lighting conditions.

Banned
    So, having been through the G thing I began to feel less enamoured of mostly black plastic on my wrist!

However, the love of tough watches remained.

Enter the Reactor Gamma. These watches are, to put it mildly, over-spec'd.

The cases are super thick, the case backs so thick someone shot one at close range with a double barrelled shotgun and it remained absolutely intact. The spring bars aren't standard but custom, ridiculously thick.

The watch has a ten year battery and is 300m WR. The watch's party piece (apart from getting shot at) is that it's 100m WR even with the crown unscrewed. Weird thing to implement if you ask me, but quirky nonetheless.

Style-wise they are a bit of an acquired taste. This one is certainly on the sober end of Reactor's style profile.

I don't wear it that often, although when it's sunny the blue dial really pops and the various knurled surfaces seem to instantly brighten up. Being conceived and constructed in California I guess they didn't really consider the overall aesthetic on a gloomy grey day in South London (although as I write it's sun and blue skies - looking lovely, if not warm yet).

I should also point out that the nine or so layers of superluminova they douse the markers, hands and bezel triangle with produce what is by far the brightest lume I have in my collection. Its glow is visible even in good light. Crazy.

Last edited by Eski; 17th February 2019 at 16:39.

Master
    The citizen is class.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I feel a Sinn UX or Grand Seiko Spring Drive would satisfy your OCD, while taking you into luxury territory.

Banned
    I like both Sinn and the GS lines aesthetically.

I very much look forward to learning more about these brands from the TZ collective.

Banned
    So, next up for me, I decided, was a field watch.

I really wanted the famous Ray Mears Citizen, but by the time I knew about it it was discontinued and hard to come by.

So, I decided to buy the budget version, the BN-6400. At the time of this purchase I did consider the Royal Marines Commando monocoque that was available, but just couldn't live with having a Royal Marines Commando logo on the dial as it did.

The BN-6400 is steel instead of titanium, and has a standard screw back case instead of a monocoque one.

However, it's a really classy piece imho. 200m WR, solar (eco-drive), a great 'middle' size at circa 41mm. Nicely finished, really snug fitting crown guard surrounding a knurled crown.

The straps both these and the monocoques come on are not my thing, so I have it on leather (found a superb guy in Scotland through ebay who makes custom leather to customer spec for under 20 quid!).

Oh, and for complete disclosure I must admit to buying the BN-6401 variant which I purchased from Australia, thereby creating a massively larger carbon footprint for the sake of having a version with the Promaster logo on the dial!

Last edited by Eski; 17th February 2019 at 16:35.

Banned
    Next up for watches I 'needed' was a tritium watch.

Not much else to say on this one. It's a Traser, so made by the company thst invented the tritium tube.

This one is discontinued now. It's called the Navigator. I like how Traser actually 'house' their tritium behind a chapter section when many competing brands (eg Deep Blue, Marathon) just unceremoniously stick tubes to the dial face.

This one isn't currently getting regular wear, but does get worn. Additionally it sits not in my watch box but by my bed side, being the perfect night clock of course.

Banned
    Next to catch my eye was, predictably for me, another watch that marketed on the premise of being a tough watch.

The Victorinox INOX.

I picked this one up used via WUS at a very reasonable price and with a strapcode oyster bracelet included!

I'm wearing it on its original super comfy rubber strap as I write this rather extended intro thread. John, my scottish leather strap guy, made me a tan strap for this also, which works well.

I really like the design of this one, and particularly the way the case line sweeps into some very substantial crown guards. The hexagonal bezel is also really cool (at least i think so, lol).

Banned
    Okay, so moving very nearly up to date (May 2018) I realised that, barring my blue faced Reactor (which I don't wear often) all of my watches have black faces. Boring or what?!

So, I decided to get a white face (well, more ivory to be exact).

The Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT SUN025P1.

I love this watch. Its fit and finish is superb. Machined clasp, sapphire crystal, exhibition case back to show the kinetic movement (yes, kinetic - contentious! - I hope I can discuss with other interested parties here at a later date).

Anyway, I surprised myself. What was really a bit of an impulse punt in terms of colour turned out to be a real home run for me. This is certainly my most worn watch since May '18.

Btw, it was very very difficult to find. I scoured the globe, and eventually found a new one in a little watch shop in Rome, Italy.

Banned
    In December 2018 I realised that Citizen had finally brought out an updated 'Ray Mears'. This time without any army badges!

I had to have one.

It's really nice to wear. Light, and very utilitarian imho. A very understated 'grown up' watch :)

I would however point out that my previously mentioned BN-6401 has elements (slimmer profile, nicer crown guard fit, applied silver edged indices, applied logos) that imho are more refined than it's more illustrious brother.

Last edited by Eski; 17th February 2019 at 21:02.

Banned
    Last one (tfft says TZ)..

A birthday present from my son (also a watch geek in the making - very proud!)

From Seiko's 2018 limited edition 'Black Series'. The solar quartz three hander.

I 'needed' a new 'stealth' watch to replace my failed mechanical (more on that another time).

I love the orange minute hand, and tan indices. Cyclops above the date. Drilled lugs. All practical design decisions. For night diving, apparently.

I must say all my Seiko watches exude quality. They all hit their markers spot on, and there's no bounce in the movement.

Immediately took this one off its stock rubber and put it on a NATO (or to be more precise, US military strap - no extra metal - neater imho).
    Last edited by Eski; 17th February 2019 at 18:01.

Banned
    Anyway, that's me well and truly introduced. Somewhat humble collection laid bare!

I look forward to chatting with everyone at TZ going forward.

Banned
    Oh, and in response to Rusty earlier today..

Watches I've owned but haven't worked out:

1. Citizen Grand Touring signature (mechanical) - My first mechanical. +10 a day just didn't work for me. It was also not comfortable to wear (sharp lugs).

2. Marathon JSAR (quartz) - probably the most disappointing watch I've bought. The movement was all over the place - seconds hand bounced around like a cheap wall clock. Just awful.

3. Victorinox Dive Master 500 (mechanical) - this is the last mechanical I owned, and the source of my aforementioned pain. I so wanted this one to work. Aesthetically I loved it. I had it regulated by Victorinox UK, several times. It just never stayed where it was, timing wise. The wrong way up, magnetised, temperature changes, wound too much, wound too little etc. were some of the variables suggested by Victorinox.

Last edited by Eski; 17th February 2019 at 19:02.

Banned
    And finally, two watches I've been considering..

1. Certina DS Action Quartz Titanium
    2. Rolex Submariner 14060M - preferably around 2012, just before they beefed up the case, crown guards. Really like the more vintage look.

Last edited by Eski; 17th February 2019 at 18:59.

What an excellent tale of discovery - and at least three watches there I’ve never seen before. Very fresh and interesting. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eski View Post
    The Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT SUN025P1.
    I have the blue face version and think it's a fantastic piece.
    I started with the quartz Sportura chrono, but moved it on very quickly.
    I got the kinetic to replace my BFK for work … but it's just too nice for that.
    Saphire crystal, jumping hour hand, display back and kinetic for less than £300 .. You just gotta love Seiko!

Banned
    Thanks Rusty. I enjoyed reminding myself of my watch collecting journey :)

Which three watches are new to you? Maybe the Reactor is one?

Dave, nice to touch base with a fellow Sportura owner. It's just such a lot of watch for the money! A real joy to wear. I forgot to mention the GMT functionality (the same as the Rolex Explorer apparently) so deemed a 'true GMT' (it's my first GMT so I have to go on the experience of others).

Last edited by Eski; 17th February 2019 at 20:47.

Craftsman
    The Reactor is certainly a new brand to me and must admit, I’m drawn to it!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Reactor are an interesting brand for sure. The 'Gamma' model I have is apparently their all time best seller.

In terms of spec and individuality it's great. Built like a tank (worth checking out their site just to read about the component structure which is impressive). It's a real sports watch for sure.

Style wise the brand goes way off piste at times. The one I have is about as traditional as they get.

Check out the Reactor 'DNA' here:

https://reactorwatch.com/dna/

Last edited by Eski; 17th February 2019 at 21:30.

Banned
    Thanks Henk

Yes. the Seiko Sportura is very nice.

Going back through my collection has actually reminded me of why I purchased each watch originally, and as such refreshed my love for each. Today I'm wearing the titanium Citizen (my version of the Explorer 1, lol) as seen nearer the beginning of this thread. It reminds me how nice it is to wear something so lightweight!

I'd be very interested to know what types of watches everyone here owns or is drawn to.

Thanks Rusty. I enjoyed reminding myself of my watch collecting journey :)

Which three watches are new to you? Maybe the Reactor is one?

Dave, nice to touch base with a fellow Sportura owner. It's just such a lot of watch for the money! A real joy to wear. I forgot to mention the GMT functionality (the same as the Rolex Explorer apparently) so deemed a 'true GMT' (it's my first GMT so I have to go on the experience of others).

The marathon and victorinox models I hadnt seen before

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    The marathon and victorinox models I hadnt seen before
    Before buying a (used) Marathon JSAR I'd read quite a lot about the brand, which mostly relayed that Marathon supply the Canadian Military, and generally build tough as nails watches. I was therefore excited to get one.

However, my (admittedly brief) experience wasn't good at all. I've also seen quite a few used GSARs for sale (the tritium auto model they do) where the lume pip on the bezel has fallen out.

Seems to me that Marathon make great cases and bracelets (which many enthusiasts say are brilliant, even though they only utilise push fit clasps?!), but the movements are maybe not so great.

The cost of a Marathon watch is usually pretty high for the spec imho. Not for me

The Victorinox I'd highly recommend. Seems the brand is a lot better value in the US, so buying a used one from the States is a good way to go imho.

Before buying a (used) Marathon JSAR I'd read quite a lot about the brand, which mostly relayed that Marathon supply the Canadian Military, and generally build tough as nails watches. I was therefore excited to get one.

However, my (admittedly brief) experience wasn't good at all. I've also seen quite a few used GSARs for sale (the tritium auto model they do) where the lume pip on the bezel has fallen out.

Seems to me that Marathon make great cases and bracelets (which many enthusiasts say are brilliant, even though they only utilise push fit clasps?!), but the movements are maybe not so great.

The cost of a Marathon watch is usually pretty high for the spec imho. Not for me

The Victorinox I'd highly recommend. Seems the brand is a lot better value in the US, so buying a used one from the States is a good way to go imho.
    I’m not enabling here but the aesthetic you like would seem to point towards damasko too. I had one and it was genuinely the toughest SOAB I’ve ever owned. Literally couldn’t put as much as a hairline on it. The steel they use and the process is ice hardened and also nickel free. Result is almost near blasted and virtually scratch proof. Might want to check them out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I’m not enabling here but..
    Haha! Enabling is a good thing.

I had a look at the Damasko line. They're very nice. However.. mechanical!!

Not sure I'm emotionally ready for another mechanical adventure quite yet!