closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Varifocal glasses experiences

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Varifocals gave me a migraine
    Did you suffer previously? Or purely from the lenses and changing to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do find it funny how some people think opticians are a rip off yet will consider paying way over the odds for a standard varifocal lens just because it has the words RayBan written on it.....
    Just about sums up the way that branding has blinded the public to what makes up value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Mine have 3 horizontal vision bands. Top is longer distance, middle computer screen distance, bottom reading. Though tbh I can see through all of them fine but you can tell the difference.
    This is the best advice. Buy the best lenses you can afford with the largest frame of view. Get big enough frames to allow reasonable transition between the zones on the lenses.
    When I first put mine on in the shop i was really unhappy and noticed a very narrow focused range. Nodding donkey syndrome. Also a bit seasick initially. Thought I'd be back for 2 separate pairs within a week.
    My brain accepted them within 48 hours and i have never looked back.
    I wear a pair of addidas sports varifocals for exercise. These are more wrap around in style. Get horrible distortion when I change from my normals, but this only lasts a few minutes.
    I think how your brain translates the image counts for a lot, hence why some folks just can't get on with them.
    Try them, but have the option to return them and get a near and far pair instead.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andymonkey View Post
    I do find it funny how some people think opticians are a rip off yet will consider paying way over the odds for a standard varifocal lens just because it has the words RayBan written on it.....
    Just about sums up the way that branding has blinded the public to what makes up value for money.

Are they standard vari focal? I’ve yet to find that, if you can post a link it’d be great.

I’ve worn wayfarers both sunglasses and glasses for as long as I can I remember. On a std lens, the lack of the branding on sunglasses removes part of the RB element for me, it shouts that you’re wearing prescription sunglasses & that’s not what I want.

Each to their own, but I prefer genuine G-15 lens if available and if the branding is there too, then I’m happy. Oakley Rx branded
    Lenses have been great in the past too, just a bit old for that look these days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    This is the best advice. Buy the best lenses you can afford with the largest frame of view. Get big enough frames to allow reasonable transition between the zones on the lenses.
    When I first put mine on in the shop i was really unhappy and noticed a very narrow focused range. Nodding donkey syndrome. Also a bit seasick initially. Thought I'd be back for 2 separate pairs within a week.
    My brain accepted them within 48 hours and i have never looked back.
    I wear a pair of addidas sports varifocals for exercise. These are more wrap around in style. Get horrible distortion when I change from my normals, but this only lasts a few minutes.
    I think how your brain translates the image counts for a lot, hence why some folks just can't get on with them.
    Try them, but have the option to return them and get a near and far pair instead.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thank you, the more positives I hear the more confident I am. Internet tends to be love or hate on any reviews, so might just have to bite the bullet....wasted more on other random stuff in my time!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    For those who have commented about moving your heads to read, are we talking broadsheet papers, or more of a kindle / iPad screen?
    The broadsheets I can understand being a challenge. If it’s moving head to read a kindle that’s about 7” wide, then that could possibly do my head in.
    For close up reading my lenses have a pretty narrow band in which they are in focus, so moving the head is necessary with kindle/iPad etc. unless you can tolerate being slightly out of focus, such as when typing this ;)

Are they standard vari focal? I’ve yet to find that, if you can post a link it’d be great.

I’ve worn wayfarers both sunglasses and glasses for as long as I can I remember. On a std lens, the lack of the branding on sunglasses removes part of the RB element for me, it shouts that you’re wearing prescription sunglasses & that’s not what I want.

Each to their own, but I prefer genuine G-15 lens if available and if the branding is there too, then I’m happy. Oakley Rx branded
    Lenses have been great in the past too, just a bit old for that look these days.

With RayBan RX there is no choice of different varifocal types, only one design is available.
    Also most lens manufacturers offer G15 tints on prescription lenses which are indistinguishable from a RayBan product.

Master
    With RayBan RX there is no choice of different varifocal types, only one design is available.
    Also most lens manufacturers offer G15 tints on prescription lenses which are indistinguishable from a RayBan product.

I’m several ‘G-15’ tints over the years & none have proven exact. Normally a lighter colour, as I have a pair for when I’m wearing contacts. The quality of optics colour just never feels as good.

Is the RB of minimum design, or maximum from a view perspective? You’ve not answered, just said there is only one.

I've worn varifocals for 20 years but they're not suitable for my computer monitor … so I have separate computer glasses and before the Specsavers eye test, measured my eye to screen and eye to keyboard distances. Specsavers' ophthalmologist then gave me a separate test and prescription for computer glasses … but resultant specs were unsatisfactory … so made an appointment with another Specsavers ophthalmologist who also prescribed another uncomfortable pair of computer glasses but claimed, "… you'll get used to them" … how wrong! Thus consulted another Specsavers ophthalmologist. Resultant third prescription computer glasses were OK.

Five years on I now need new glasses and may decide to try Boots after several not so good experiences at Specsavers. However, it was the Specsavers' individual ophthalmologists who gave me the incorrect prescriptions and there's no guarantee that consulting another ophthalmologist at another optician chain will be a guaranteed trouble-free experience.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 17th February 2019 at 23:17.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Craftsman
    I've worn varifocal specs. for several years and generally get on with them. However, recently I've been trialing varifocal daily contact lenses. Primarily for scuba diving use. Thus far I can say they are good for near range and reading but not so good for driving. So, for scuba they tick all the boxes for me, which was the objective. Of course this is only for my prescription, others may differ. Worth getting a free trial from a reputable optician, what is to loose?

Used varifocals for a few years ... For me the transition from normal glasses took about an hour. They were also reactolite so worked pretty well for everything apart from driving in bright light.

Now moved to Ortho-K over night lenses with monovision and really pleased. It's a bit like laser or lens replacement without the surgery and reversable if you leave the out for a few nights...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    I've worn varifocal specs. for several years and generally get on with them. However, recently I've been trialing varifocal daily contact lenses. Primarily for scuba diving use. Thus far I can say they are good for near range and reading but not so good for driving. So, for scuba they tick all the boxes for me, which was the objective. Of course this is only for my prescription, others may differ. Worth getting a free trial from a reputable optician, what is to loose?
    That’s what I’m finding with the varifocal contacts, great close & mid, but too much compromise for me with the distance lacking clarity.

Master
    For those who have commented about moving your heads to read, are we talking broadsheet papers, or more of a kindle / iPad screen?

The broadsheets I can understand being a challenge. If it’s moving head to read a kindle that’s about 7” wide, then that could possibly do my head in.
    Just up and down for me. I don't find there is a big drop off at the edges and what there is happens more at the lower edge but not enough to affect normal reading and certainly not a kindle screen. But again I think this is more a function of the overall frame size you simply need sufficient size such that the focus areas are big enough to work without issues like these.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlistairD View Post
    Used varifocals for a few years ... For me the transition from normal glasses took about an hour. They were also reactolite so worked pretty well for everything apart from driving in bright light.

Now moved to Ortho-K over night lenses with monovision and really pleased. It's a bit like laser or lens replacement without the surgery and reversable if you leave the out for a few nights...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Never heard of those, but doing my research now, seems a great solution! Thanks

Craftsman
    This is a situation where there seems to be a direct correlation between cost and quality - an expensive German lens to is worth the upgrade. I felt drunk for the first day and missed steps, curbs all the time. I've settled into it now. Moving your head to look through a different part of the lens and to fine focus becomes second nature. I've had no difficulty driving though adjusting to computer work was the hardest. Lying down to watch TV can create problems. I agree with the advice, go for a larger set of glasses to optimise the gradient.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Did you suffer previously? Or purely from the lenses and changing to them?

Had migraines rarely,I was in no doubt the varifocals caused them so not for me.

Master
    Qaz- agree there seems to be a settling in to them linked with quality.

AlistairD, done more research on those lenses & my local town has an optician that does them. Seems to be a great solution to try. Cannot believe I have never heard of them or had recommendation previously.

Qaz- agree there seems to be a settling in to them linked with quality.

AlistairD, done more research on those lenses & my local town has an optician that does them. Seems to be a great solution to try. Cannot believe I have never heard of them or had recommendation previously.

I hadn't heard of them either until I did some research. It's very strange to be able to see in focus without glasses or lenses. The monovision took a little bit of getting used to or you could just have a pair of reading glasses...

Good luck...

A

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone had issues getting accurate pupillary distance measurement to use the online places?
    I was reliably informed that this is a crucial measurement but it is not provided on prescriptions from most places. The online tools to deduce it from a photo seem less than reliable...

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Has anyone had issues getting accurate pupillary distance measurement to use the online places?
    I was reliably informed that this is a crucial measurement but it is not provided on prescriptions from most places. The online tools to deduce it from a photo seem less than reliable...
    It is absolutely crucial. Some options:

1. ask your optician for it
    2. Send in an old pair of glasses which they can measure
    3. Rxsport send you a standard set of frames and you take a picture of yourself with them on - this worked fine for me

Master
    I’ve been wearing them for about 4 years without any real issue. I found I have naturally adapted to the limited focal field and I just move my head to focus on a subject. Mine are from Specsavers with all the coating options and my second pair are vf sunglasses which I find great for driving and on my motorcycle as I can see the road ahead and read instruments etc.

The comment regarding the fit and sizing is correct. My second pair were made with the distance between the eyes being off by about 2mm and they didn’t work. New lenses (no charge) sorted it but I imagine it would be hard to know this was the case for the first time wearer. This can be checked by focusing on some small text, then closing one eye then the other and alternating between the two. The text should stay in focus for both eyes (separately) without the need to move your head to correct any blurring.

I would not buy vf’s online for this reason.

Craftsman
    I buy my progressive lenses from https://www.zennioptical.com/?ditto=...&utm_referrer=, costs me about USD100, but I go with the cheap frames as I like to splay the arms - easier to do with alloy. They have a returns policy, https://zenni.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...return-policy-, I have used a few times. I go for the 100% store credit as I always buy from them. I started buying online when I first became an old man 10 years ago and asked the local optician in Melbourne for an estimate: AUD700! Big difference in price makes it worthwhile for me.

For PD, https://www.zennioptical.com/hc/en-u...lary-Distance-

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    It is absolutely crucial. Some options:

1. ask your optician for it
    2. Send in an old pair of glasses which they can measure
    3. Rxsport send you a standard set of frames and you take a picture of yourself with them on - this worked fine for me

Yeh, two opticians I've asked basically refused to do it (nothing in it for them I suppose as they probably suspect it's for online ordering). The video above is great - I'll get a couple of friends to measure - or find an online seller who has a reliable method.
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 19th February 2019 at 09:26.

I believe the opticians have to give it to you as part of your perscription... but clearly they are trying to hang to the business....

Varifocal glasses experiences

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    I believe the opticians have to give it to you as part of your perscription... but clearly they are trying to hang to the business....
    If you’ve paid for the eye test then they’ve no option but to provide all the information you’ve bought and paid for.

If it’s a free eye test then they could probably refuse.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 19th February 2019 at 12:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    If you’ve paid for the due test then they’ve no option but to provide all the information you’ve bought and paid for.

If it’s a free eye test then they could probably refuse.
    That isn’t part of the NHS eye test.

I don’t know, I don’t think I’ve ever had an NHS eye test; all mine have been in opticians where I’ve either had to pay or had one of their promotional vouchers.

Master
    PD isnt part of the eye test a such, but forms part of the ordering of glasses - it isn't measured until you are sitting getting frames. Opticians seem to not like providing you with this information. I think Boots do it, but charge for it.

Regarding online, MisterSpex use a credit card (know size) held up to your face & a photo taken. Never had a problem with it 4 pairs purchased so far. Was a concern at first, but with a no quibble 30 day return it was a no-brainer to give it a go. I rejected one pair as the lenses / frames creaked as they warmed / cooled, and they were 100% fine with it following a local optician attempting to resolve (at MisterSpex cost).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlistairD View Post
    I hadn't heard of them either until I did some research. It's very strange to be able to see in focus without glasses or lenses. The monovision took a little bit of getting used to or you could just have a pair of reading glasses...

Good luck...

A

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk
    Bet if feels really strange at first, probably like waking up having forgotten to remove contacts & being gifted with sight, before then realising why.

I tried monovision via contacts & it was awful, perhaps I could have persevered but again it felt like a compromise I didnt want to make.

Will most likley go with both eyes, and have reading glasses.

Currently I'm trying to work out which of my wayfarer frames to get changed back to standard G-15 lenses, which to change to reading glasses & the need to order some new reading sunglasses too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I don’t know, I don’t think I’ve ever had an NHS eye test; all mine have been in opticians where I’ve either had to pay or had one of their promotional vouchers.
    Even if you’ve paid it’s probably an NHS test.

Journeyman
    I have been wearing varifocal glasses now for nearly 15 years. I tried bi-focals prior to that and they were awful.
    I can only say do NOT get the cheap option varifocal lenses, but pay the extra for the custom wide field lenses.
    I made the mistake of getting some slightly cheaper ones a few years ago from Spec Savers and they were a disaster, the narrower field of vision made them almost unwearable, almost like wearing blinkers, having to turn my head for anything that wasn't directly in front of me, terrible when driving, no peripheral vision at all.
    Currently wearing custom wide field ones (cost just under £500)and could not be happier.

Master
    Thanks John, I’m discussions with a local optician who whilst more expensive than my usual online retailer does seem to provide better responses to my questions. He’s pretty much of the same opinion as you on not scrimping, I’m guessing all the reviews I’ve read poor things about might simply be the cheap options.

I’m just stuck between the ortho-k and varifocals as my decision now.

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    I always ask for a copy of mine, telling them I enter it into an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of changes in my eyesight over the years. I actually do that, but it also gives me a handy excuse for requesting a hard copy that I can use elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Even if you’ve paid it’s probably an NHS test.
    No.
    In England an NHS test needs an NHS form signing for the test fee to be claimed back by the optician.
    You have to meet certain criteria to get an NHS eye test, over 60, benefits etc.
    An optician would have to be committing NHS fraud to claim the test fee back with no form having been signed by the patient

No.
    In England an NHS test needs an NHS form signing for the test fee to be claimed back by the optician.
    You have to meet certain criteria to get an NHS eye test, over 60, benefits etc.
    An optician would have to be committing NHS fraud to claim the test fee back with no form having been signed by the patient

My mistake, thought it was like dental fees and prescriptions where it’s NHS but we still pay.

My late father had glaucoma so I get free eye tests (ever since I reached the age of 40)

Master
    Interesting thread. I’m thinking about just having reading glasses, when I eventually need them.

My wife has just had varifocals, from a local independent optician, after struggling with the glasses she bought from Specsavers. Her new ones were more expensive but she found they worked for her immediately. She also said that the independent optician took 40 minutes to test her eyes and spent more time discussing her requirements.

I’m 52 soon and still okay without glasses, fortunately.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by derek_faker View Post
    Interesting thread. I’m thinking about just having reading glasses, when I eventually need them.

My wife has just had varifocals, from a local independent optician, after struggling with the glasses she bought from Specsavers. Her new ones were more expensive but she found they worked for her immediately. She also said that the independent optician took 40 minutes to test her eyes and spent more time discussing her requirements.

I’m 52 soon and still okay without glasses, fortunately.

It is interesting once you start to dig a little deeper into the measurements taken at some opticians vs the main chains who churn out cheaper options. One of the brands even has equipment measuring head angles and posture in a variety of screen lengths to determine posture vs eye position and to make specific lens adjustments as a result.

The more I keep researching, the more I seem to be capable of spending! Today I am thinking I will be going for Ortho-k lenses, and try them out first for a while before progressing with any varifocals, as in my mind I am convinced it is a better solution to simply have a single lens for reading vs a compromise lens. No doubt I will also get a non prescription pair of glasses too when I want to simply wear glasses to mix it up. Apparently it is a fairl common thing to do after wearing for so long.

Craftsman
    Also finding this interesting, at 50 I am at the stage of taking my glasses off to type/read.

Master
    Let me throw in my two cents here. I wore varifocals for a decade, from my mid 40s, when I could no longer wear contacts due to the need for a reading correction. Before the contacts, worn from about the age of 30 to 45, I wore regular glasses. I was (or rather still am) a fairly strong myopic, with a correction of more than -5 diopters in my right eye, around -3 in the left and strong astigmatism in the left as well (-2.75 cylinder correction). When wearing contacts the left one had a cylindrical correction for the astigmatism, meaning it had to be perfectly positioned. I needed excellent spare glasses for the contacts in case I lost them or could not wear them for whatever reason. Anyone considering contacts for a more than very weak myopia correction needs to consider the added cost of a good pair of backup glasses, meaning you basically pay twice...
    Anyway, at the age of 56 I started seeing badly, got blinded by bright lights and so on, and was diagnosed with cataracts, which is fairly rare at 56 years of age. I needed surgery and got implant lenses. In the left eye the lens also had a cylindrical correction, and of course both correct my distance vision, set at infinity. Once you get cataract implants (or a voluntary lens replacement, which is medically speaking the same thing) you no longer can adapt your focus, so you really need reading glasses.
    You can get by perfectly with ordinary supermarket/internet readers if the surgery was done well and you have the same distance vision (in my case, a zero correction) in both eyes. Until you want a reading correction in sunglasses...
    Intermezzo/explanation. I fly hot-air balloons semi-professionally and during flight, I always wear sunglasses as you tend to fly a balloon when the sun is low in the sky. Fiddling with readers and non-prescription neutral sunglasses does not cut it, and air law forces you to wear glasses that integrate both distance and close-up corrections if you need the latter. Meaning multifocals.
    Armed with the prescription of my opthalmologist I went to a good optician (I'm in France, opticians can sometimes make small corrections to a prescription but are not allowed to write one, you have to go through an eye doctor first if you want your medical insurance to pay for part of your glasses). The prescription was for a reading correction of +3.25 on top of a distance correction of +0.25. The optician rightly considered the latter uncorrectable - he was right, the standard test distance is 6 metres for distance, which is not infinity but technically at 0.17 diopters from the distance to Saturn, and I was perfectly corrected for true infinity; you can improve contrast a tiny bit at 6 metres in that case by adding +0.25, glasses always being made in steps of 0.25 and this being a bit closer than zero to the needed 0.17. Result, the optician changed the reading correction to +3.5 and left the distance part at zero. He recommended varifocals, or course as this is practically all the big brands now make. Varifocals are mostly vanity glasses that hide the fact that you need a reading correction and that is what most people want. I had worn such gasses for a long time and did not expect any problem.
    But: see below.
    Varifocal_strip01 by Frank Schweppe, on Flickr

The distortion by the sunglass lens is astounding. This, by the way, is a Zeiss lens. I went totally crazy, while driving and even while walking outside. I also found that the field of sharp view, even in the higher 'distance' part, was awfully narrow. Like always with varifocals, I needed to move my head in exectly the direction where I wanted to look, instead of moving my eyes behind the lenses. I tested whether I could see a typical small naked 20 kilovolt powerline in my corner view by not moving my head but only my eyes, and failed miserably.
    So back I went to the optician, and told him I wanted sunglasses that were a) only bifocal with fixed reading sections, b) I wanted those reading sections a lot lower than normal as when flying I need to look forward and slightly down to the landscape I fly over, as I need to spot obstacles (like said powerlines) during a landing approach. I also wanted the lenses coloured graded brown (he first sold me on polarized ones which I found I also hated, and as it turns out aviation medical specialists advise against polarized as it can impede reading LCD displays depending on the angle, and they prefer brown lenses to improve contrast). I also wated a way weaker reading correction, as I don't hold my maps up against my nose, nor do I lean into my instruments. After testing with the maps on a table and me standing next to them we came up with a correction of only +1.5 diopters, for reading at arm's length.
    The optician had to phone Zeiss to ask if they still did lenses with fixed bifocal sections (they were not in the price list). They did, and as he told me, 'these will really be coming from Germany, not China'. They turned out to be at least as expensive as the varifocals.
    They look like this:
    Bril001_800w by Frank Schweppe, on Flickr

Not really old guy's glasses either. They also happen to be quite good for driving, and with the graded colour I can just keep them on when walking into a shop and read the price tags through the almost clear reading section. The +1.5 correction is so mild that when I look down through the reading section, I see my feet almost as well as without glasses (or through the neutral top half), meaning I don't miss the steps on a stairway. In fact, somewhere halfway down my legs is the transfer where I don't see perfect with either the reading correction or no correction, due to the lens implants, but it's the same, so from there on towards infinity things only get sharper.
    The field of vision of those glasses is fantastic, there is no distortion, the nuetral/distance part continues down to the outside as the reading sections are slightly centered towards the nose, so I don't have to move my head to look down and sideways. Or, while driving, to flick a glance at my door mirror to see if anything is coming up behind me, without actually turning my head. And as it turns out, 1.5 diopters or about 60-70 centimeters is also the ideal distance for working with a laptop computer on a desk without needing to lean forward. Great for the neck.
    The moral of all this: go easy on the reading correction in your glasses even if you get varifocals. You want to read a book or a newspaper with them, or work with a screen, not repair a watch. The weaker the reading correction, the weaker the distortions in the lens and the wider the field of view. Fixed bifocals are optically way better than varifocals and if you still have fine distance vision you can even get them cheap over the internet, clear or as sunglasses - though not with customized height placement of the reading part.
    For anyone thinking that this may make you look like some old geezer: this type of bifocal sunglasses is worn by helicopter pilots who need to fly fast and low, during rescue missions, landing on oil platforms or attack missions. They need to be able to constantly switch their eyes between forward and 'side down' and moving their heads for that every time gives them vertigo due to their high speed, plus it turns their heads away from their instruments and from whatever is coming at them. So if you really want to do anything exciting, you wear old geezer's bifocals, not vanity varifocals.
    As far as the original op's reflection on possible voluntary lens replacement is concerned: implant lenses are great for distance vision (I have 200 percent vision or 40/20 with them, now being the anecdotical guy who can read all the way down to the smallest line during eye tests, to the surprise of my aviation doctor). Don't ever consider bifocal implant lenses though, they give you double vision, halos and all kinds of crap due to the fresnel patterns that superimposes two images on top of each other, one for far and one for near, thus always one out of focus. The idea being that 'your brain will sort it out'. Which it often does not, or it does but it gives you a headache. If you already need strong glasses for distance (you're a strong myopic) and the world beyond arm's length is always a blur without your glasses, then getting implants once you really need varifocals or bifocals for reading is a good idea - I went from being a myopic, astimatic and presbyopic to 'just' presbyopic. Needing only a simple pair of readers instead of fiddling with thick glasses all day long, with the inevitable distortions, reflections, dirt and so on, plus the anxiety about losing or breaking them and instantly becoming visually handicapped, is an eye opener. Lasik laser surgery btw is also a no-no once you approach the reading glasses point of no return. It often also gives you halos and such crap, which is why it is frowned upon by aviation medicals, and it makes it very difficult later in life to properly fit you with cataract implants if you need those (and you likely will if you get old enough).
    Long story, but I hope it helps. And if you wear a pilot's watch, you need pilot's bifocals to match...

Finally, my sunglasses on my nose:

SchwepPilotglasses by Frank Schweppe, on Flickr

they don't really look 'old geezer'. I'll spare you the rest of my wrinkly face and all the grey hair. ;-)

Blog Entries
    Very, very good addition to this thead. Only 7 AM and I’ve learned a lot this day already.

Menno

Master
    Fscwep, many thanks for the post, very interesting and extremely detailed. Your reference and photo from the varifocals is exactly my concern after a not insignificant outlay.

Lens replacement was one of my original considerations, but was put off slightly by reading about the percentage of people left unable to meet minimum DVLA requirements for vision following some complication or another. Like most, I require my eyes for a living & see that as too high a risk until the point that I require or for cataracts rather than vanity. My mother had hers done & has never looked back.

I struggle with contacts as get dry eyes and always seem to be using drops. Think I will try the ortho k lenses & see how I feel spectacle free before reviewing other methods.

I’m only at -2.5 and astigmatism of 1 across both eye, so whilst I feel blind without correction I know there are many far worse.

Cheers

Matt

Craftsman
    I'll chip in with my experience here. I've bought specs over the net the past three times now and they have all been varifocals. The first two pair were excellent but the last pair were never really great with distance. this is where buying online has its problems, it was too much bother to send them back, and what could they do? They were apparently to my prescription. I said then I'd visit a shop for the next pair to give me the security of being able to return for any issues by just walking in.

Fast forward to reading this thread and I found myself thinking I need an updated eye test and new specs. Against my previous plan I was tempted and started to look online, MrSpex and a couple of others. Seen a pair on Mr Spex, added the best varifocal lenses, photo chromatic too, scratch resistant blah blah blah, the works. The price? £546! For one pair! I nearly fell off the chair.

I then went to Specsaver website, seen a frame I liked and made an appointment for an eye test and went there at 4.00pm today. To cut a long one short I was very impressed with the service and the optician actually told me I did not really need new specs as my eyes had not deteriorated that much in the three years since my last test, but if I wanted there was an assistant to help.

To cut another one short, I ended up with the totr varifocals with photo chromatic lenses etc etc, basically the same as Mr Spex all for £339. I took advantage of the bogof and with the extra lens charges bought two pair of different style Hugo Boss specs with the same prescription lenses for £466 all in.

I had been in Specsavers years ago and they came across as pushy and expensive, not so this time and they got my business and I've got the peace of mind that if anything goes wrong there is a bricks and mortar shop I can go to if things go wrong.

I suppose what I'm saying is don't be blinded (pun intended lol) by super internet deals as there may be a better option in the high street.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by billymac View Post
    I then went to Specsaver website,
    I go to Specsavers in Melbourne for my test. Always nice, knowledgeable opticians who have some pretty impressive kit. We get the test free in Aus, once every two years. Because I'm pre-diabetic I have been told to rock up when I want. But I always buy online because it's so much cheaper. I'm lucky with progressives not being a problem for me.

Master
    Well, had the consultation today for Ortho K lenses, but the size of my pupils mean I am pretty much guaranteed to have halos with lights at night & that’s too large a compromise for me.

So I’m back to trialling a different brand and approach of multifocal contacts before no doubt ending up full circle with premium glasses lenses, which is where my optician recons I will end up!

Well, had the consultation today for Ortho K lenses, but the size of my pupils mean I am pretty much guaranteed to have halos with lights at night & that’s too large a compromise for me.

So I’m back to trialling a different brand and approach of multifocal contacts before no doubt ending up full circle with premium glasses lenses, which is where my optician recons I will end up!

That's a shame about Ortho Ks. Halo have steadily reduced on mine as the optician said. Apparently you brain filters them out...

A

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you recline on the sofa/chair to watch TV then it can be an idea to have a pair of VDU glasses made up for the distance required.

I use an old pair of VDU glasses my eyes "grew" out of and so are not good enough for VDU distance any more, but they're perfect for TV and I can still read the remote with the close-up portion of the lens.