closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Varifocal glasses experiences

Master

Varifocal glasses experiences

I’ve reached that age where I’m now struggling to read clearly as well as needing my distance vision sorted.

Researching lens replacement & laser surgery, as the multi focal contact lenses feel too much of a compromise on my distance sight. The mono option gives me a headache, and all lenses seem to feel uncomfortable after 5-6hrs.

Seem to be 3 options, each increasing the field of view and the price. I’m tempted to dive straight in at the premium end for maximum field of view. Certainly cheaper than surgery at the moment until I’m happy my reading vision settles down.

Any thoughts from those who have made the move to these glasses?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Not had a single problem tbh. But that doesn't mean a great deal as some people struggle with them especially for things like going down steps. The main thing I find is that you can't lie on the settee and watch the tv (at least if it is normal height) as that is the near vision and there is slight blue fringing on text on tv if you look at the wrong angle. You probably also need larger frames in the vertical measurement to give decent spacing for the focus zones. Mine are pretty much top spec lenses though.

Master
    Thank you. I always tend to sit up watching tv, so that shouldn’t be an issue. I’ve ended up looking over my glasses to read the phone or iPad screen, much to my wife’s annoyance as makes me look old apparently!

My frames for a while have been RayBan New Wayfarers, so assuming they have enough height on them as they’re not exactly shy size wise.

Little perplexed as to my prescription sunglasses, again same frames. Think I will keep them as distance ones for driving & have a standard pair for Reading when on holiday, swapping between the two.

Mister Spex has a price of c£500 for 1.6 index & 60% increase in visibility, their max lens. Seems ok but £300 more than my ‘normal’ lens prescription, so cheaper to have reading and distance but much more hassle.

I moved across to them a few years back and yes at first, things like walking down stairs do take a little getting used to, but I find now I just leave them on all the time. Perfect for distance viewing, driving and effortless if you need to read anything.

I usually go for a deal that includes sunglasses as the second pair with the same lenses.

I did try the reactor lenses a few years back, but didn't really gain anything from them and I am much happier with clear lenses in the glasses and the sunglasses for the odd day when the sun comes out and I am outside.

I buy from Specsavers and the full package including both pairs with the full width reading spectrum is rarely over £250 all in.

Hi ,

I have just got varifocals - these are a “enhanced” version from vision express.

Tbh i hate them rubbish when driving or when using the pc. Field of vision is just too small to work for me.

So after some research a few things i have found.

Vision express seriously overcharge on the frames... these will be going back for a refund.

Online seems to be the way togo once you have your perscription sorted.

Oh and depressingly the mark up on the lenses makes warches look reasonable !

So found this website for reasonable frames ( and lenses if you are not after specific types)

Www.theglassescompany.co.uk

I have ordered rayban frames with single vision lenses just for driving.

Then for the lenses as in any brand (i am looking at varilux x series if i try varifocals again)

https://reglazemyglasses.com/index.html

Not tried this site yet - but may work out cheaper than your local optician for the lenses.

For me i may just have 2 pairs one for working on my pc and the other for driving. Having a all on one pair sounds great but currently with these lenses not very impressed.

Cheers

Matt

I've wore varifocal for years and never had a problem using them.

I needed a new pair 18 months back because I had scratched my lenses quite bad due to wearing them while machining over time so went to our local Specsavers, good service but couldent get on with the glasses, took them back and they fitted new lenses, still no good so I went back to my old glasses and then decided to try my local Tesco's optician dept, good service but still dident get on with the glasses so back to the old ones.

Really did need new ones so late last year I went to Boots, paid for the best varifocal they offered plus there transition coating (light reactive) they turn black in the light, great service and the glasses have performed well, very happy and will go back to Boots when I need more.

SWMBO just ordered some today for the first time. She went for the top spec (widest range) and got two pairs for £318 including anti reflection coating.

We’ve always used Vision Express but these are from Specsavers and they are definitely better value. The highest spec varifocal lens is £159 on top of the standard price.

They also do the 2 for 1 deal so she’s getting varifocal sunglasses too.

Had varifocals for some years without any issues,

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Great to read your experiences, thank you.

Specsavers did my eye test, but their base price on my desired frame is a little punchy to say the least. Classic wayfarer is a style I’ve worn for years before it became hipster fashionable lol.

Will certainly be going for the best vari lens offered, about £159 from memory, plus then go as thin as possible despite only being a -2.50 on each eye.

Part of me loves the idea of a lens replacement and glasses free. Was cooking last night in contacts, gridding steaks and without the need to clean glasses after, was such a joy!

Certainly need something in the short term, as cannot read and write on my pad in meetings as my arms are not long enough, if i take the glasses off, I cannot see the screen.

I remember as a teen laughing at my parents for holding menus at arms length, that has now become me & I feel ancient as a result!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The rayban frames i just bought were about 55 quid... then just the lenses on top :)

So for example the oakley frames which were from ve were 220 - including free single vision lenses. Found the frames on their own online for 73 quid....

I feel the same way / these are my first glasses ever ... (nearly 45) so a very odd experience...

Blog Entries
    Another Varifocal user here, for years and years now. I don't know anymore what type it is, but it was the most expensive sort... Wearing it in a Lindberg frame.

I have difficulty walking down the stairs, especially when there's a pattern of rubber anti-slip dots on it, or any other pattern. I sometimes move down the stairs like an old man. One time (3 yrs ago, or something) I went downstairs in our home, missed one of the steps when I walked down... free-fall for the last 4, 5 steps and tearing off the stair's bannisters... It took me weeks to recover from a sour bum.

Apart from that one incident, I must say that I'm a happy user.

Menno

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    The rayban frames i just bought were about 55 quid... then just the lenses on top :)

So for example the oakley frames which were from ve were 220 - including free single vision lenses. Found the frames on their own online for 73 quid....

I feel the same way / these are my first glasses ever ... (nearly 45) so a very odd experience...
    Alas the Rx RayBan wayfarer is a smaller frame vs the sunglasses variant, it’s marginal, but makes them more rounded (ordered the Rx frame first time as assumed it would be the same). I’ve a collection of unused sunglasses lenses for the frames over the years.

Always a weird feeling when things change. I’ve worn glasses since I was 12 so am sort of used to being in them, to the point I’d have the option of fake glasses if I did the surgery to wean myself off the way I’ve looked most of my life.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Another Varifocal user here, for years and years now. I don't know anymore what type it is, but it was the most expensive sort... Wearing it in a Lindberg frame.

I have difficulty walking down the stairs, especially when there's a pattern of rubber anti-slip dots on it, or any other pattern. I sometimes move down the stairs like an old man. One time (3 yrs ago, or something) I went downstairs in our home, missed one of the steps when I walked down... free-fall for the last 4, 5 steps and tearing off the stair's bannisters... It took me weeks to recover from a sour bum.

Menno
    Stairs are the big thing I’ve read about, I’m also wary with driving but been unable to work out if I’m moving my head or my eyes as end up concentrating on driving itself.

Hoping it’s my eyes that put the slight blur on my HUD and this will resolve it..

Don’t worry about stairs, maybe don’t look down (esp. at first), you’ll soon get used to them.

I moved to them about three months ago. I’ve had no problems at all. It took me about a month to get use to them though. I went for the third tier out of four at Vision Express which have a wider area of vision at the bottom. I wish I’d done it a couple of years ago because I use to regularly get headaches and visual migraines. Watching TV can be a bit of pain but you have to adjust your head position depending on how you are sitting.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never had any trouble with transition to varifocals - stairs have never been a problem so don't know if it's my prescription or quality of lenses

I’ve been wearing varifocals now for a few years and had a new pair made up last year. Specsavers for me, their top model with the widest view, thinned as much as possible and although I also got a pair of sunglasses I also added their reactolight option. Cost me over 350 but I had previously tried a cheaper pair from elsewhere and they were pretty rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I’ve been wearing varifocals now for a few years and had a new pair made up last year. Specsavers for me, their top model with the widest view, thinned as much as possible and although I also got a pair of sunglasses I also added their reactolight option. Cost me over 350 but I had previously tried a cheaper pair from elsewhere and they were pretty rubbish.
    I'm coping quite well with varifocals similar to those ^. The most awkward thing for me is the computer screen. Two feet way it falls between the standard focal length and the reading. I hold my head slightly differently now.

Been using varifocals for a few years and have always gone to Vision Express as my prescription is quite strong and I get high index lenses. Needed to change last year and got quoted £550 from them. Ended up buying a pair from Asda Options for £130 with same spec as Vision Express and you wouldn’t know the difference.

Master
    Key thing with variofocal lenses is dont go for pillarbox type glasses, much as they may look good, you need deep frames for the variofocal lens to transition.

A good optician will sort you out

Steve

Master
    I prefer a dedicated prescription for reading / computer monitor, but I've found them brilliant for driving, cycling, walking round the shops and so on. Nice clear view into the distance, nicely focused view of a watch or dashboard instruments. I have the basic ones from Vision Express and they didn't take a lot of getting used to, maybe half a day.

I switched to varifocals about a year ago and they are brilliant, best glasses I have ever had.

However, I did spend an absolutely extortionate amount of money on them - mine have Nikon lenses and not even their very top grade (top but one I think). I went to a very well recommended bricks and mortar independent opticians, money well spent though, I use them for everything: reading, driving, etc.

I have also used the prescription for an online pair of varifocal sunglasses (from rxsport.com). I don’t wear contacts ever now.

I love the concept of varifocal lenses. I got fitted for a pair at my optometrist clinic several years ago. I knew they would take a while for me to adapt, but I encountered issues I just was unwilling to live with. For example when reading a book, magazine, newspaper, etc., the focus seemed so narrow that I would need to move my head from side to side just to keep the print in focus! In everyday distance situations, the areas of focus seemed very unnatural, and caused an artificial 'dizziness' that I just couldn't break free from. One of the lenses fell out and was lost, giving me a handy excuse to never wear them again!

Here's a photo from the zeiss.com site that illustrates their advanced approach. You can easily see how much of the actual lens area is always out of focus, and why reading can be a "pain in the neck."

Last edited by pacifichrono; 17th February 2019 at 08:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    The most awkward thing for me is the computer screen. Two feet way it falls between the standard focal length and the reading. I hold my head slightly differently now.
    I found this as well, so I simply keep an inexpensive frame with single vision intermediate lenses by the computer.

Journeyman
    I've worn variofocals for about 6 years now, was nervous before buying my first pair after hearing the usual horror stories but haven't had any significant problems and my all round vision has been improved.

i've been told by opticians on a number of occasions that for me the fit especially positioning of lenses to the eye is crucial to quality of vision so my recommendation would be to buy from somewhere that takes the time and care to get this right, and will make minor adjustments post purchase if necessary.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I love the concept of varifocal lenses. I got fitted for a pair at my optometrist clinic several years ago. I knew they would take a while for me to adapt, but I encountered issues I just was unwilling to live with. For example when reading a book, magazine, newspaper, etc., the focus seemed so narrow that I would need to move my head from side to side just to keep the print in focus! In everyday distance situations, the areas of focus seemed very unnatural, and caused an artificial 'dizziness' that I just couldn't break free from. One of the lenses fell out and was lost, giving me a handy excuse to never wear them again!

Here's a photo from the zeiss.com site that illustrates their advanced approach. You can easily see how much of the actual lens area is always out of focus, and why reading can be a "pain in the neck."

That is one of my concerns, hence i would go down the MAX route for the reading section as per this: https://m.misterspex.co.uk/varifocals-guide

Have also discovered Rayban now offer prescription lenses with the logo on the lens & correct G-15 lens. It has always annoyed me that the colour match was never perfect on my non rayban lenses. I just wonder how small their reading area will be.

Currently at about £400 for the daily glasses and similar for my sunglasses. My current prescription sunglasses are only a year old, so will get the original RB lenses out back in & let the wife have them. Annoyingly most of my sunglasses use is reading on holiday, so unsuitable with the current prescription.

Another thing I’m learning is that contacts are not really for me, too gritty sometimes, and always a relief when they come out. Also feels a compromise too far on my choices & find myself closing an eye to leverage the lens I need. Cooking without having to clean glasses remains a joy though!

Menno
    Menno, I know your pain having done much the same myself!

I am currently wearing Lindberg titanium/acetate frames with high(ish) grade Zeiss thin Hi index, reactolite lenses. Had enough change From £1K to buy fish and chips for supper!
    I have been told by a couple of opticians that the greater the variance from the distance to reading prescription is, the more likely you are to experience problems adapting.
    I am quite short sighted at -4.5 so with + 2.5 for reading, its a rocky road for me !
    I started off at "the cheap end" of the lens market and have gone up and up looking for a better result. It has bought an improvement for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

That 'approach' is used by all manufacturers.

Master
    I tried them when I was working full time on an Apple Mac computers and found I couldn’t get on with them at all, the dizziness and blurred effects were terrible for me.
    Just have separate reading and distance glasses now although I’m considering trying contacts, if I can be brave enough

I have worn varifocals for the last 12 years or so. The first couple of pairs were excellent. However, over the years the difference between the two prescriptions (for distance and near vision) has widened slightly and in the last 2 years I've found the varifocals a pain. So much so that I wear them only when driving, walking etc., wear nothing when working at my computer and either wear nothing if reading for a short time or wear reading glasses if reading something longer. My next glasses will be single prescription for distance vision and they'll be bought online - opticians in the UK are a rip off. I have reading glasses dotted all over the house/office as they're so cheap.
    Last edited by Skier; 17th February 2019 at 17:39.

Master
    Interesting to read about the gap between prescriptions. I’m relatively close at -2.5 & +1 in both eyes so hoping it won’t be too bad.

Reading to many horror stories about lens replacement to clear it completely. Apparently a 1 in 500 (or 1000 depending on what article) of being left below minimum driving standards. That’s a risk too far for me with those odds.

Wearing varifocal contacts today & Reading is marvellous but shop signs are not clear. Everything seems to be a compromise at the moment. Preferring one distance contact lens and one multifocal but it’s not perfect. Hoping glasses will be better.

Other option is wearing distance contacts and then reading glasses, but it does seem like a bit of a faff. Even if I can buy 4 pairs of sunglasses for the price one pair with varifocal lenses will cost me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Interesting to read about the gap between prescriptions. I’m relatively close at -2.5 & +1 in both eyes so hoping it won’t be too bad.
    My prescriptions are -0.75 and + 1.0 and I find that disparity too much.

I'm short sighted (-1.75 in worse eye) and tried varifocals a couple of years ago. Went for the most expensive option (widest field of view) from SpecSavers but hated my peripheral vision always being blurred. Didn't have any issues with stairs/walking etc just hated not having 100% clear vision. I changed back to single vision lenses after a couple of months. Removing my glasses to read a book etc isn't exactly a hardship and much more preferable imho. I think varifocals are just too much of a compromise in my circumstances.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    Timely thread as I just switched last week and went for the top of the range Nikon Seecoat Drive lenses. It has taken a little while to adjust as initially I felt like the nodding Churchill dog. But one week in and I am finding them much easier, and most importantly - I can actually see both near/inter/far without having to change or remove glasses. I regularly switch between driving/riding and close up computer work, and find the lenses have really improved overall vision and degree of tiredness. I went back for a slight adjustment of my frames, but otherwise think they are a good upgrade.

Master
    Skier, that’s not what I wanted to read!

Omegary, I struggle in meetings between looking at the projected image vs my notes, so can’t keep putting them on & removing that often. I do remove to read in an evening though. Hate the idea of spanking £400 on something I then cannot get on with.

SpareParts, much better news to read. I guess if I don’t bite the bullet and try the best, I will never know.

Omegary, I struggle in meetings between looking at the projected image vs my notes, so can’t keep putting them on & removing that often. I do remove to read in an evening though. Hate the idea of spanking £400 on something I then cannot get on with.
    That would be inconvenient and I can understand you not wanting to waste a not inconsiderable sum on something you potentially might not get on with.

At the time I tried varifocals SpecSavers changed the lenses for single vision and returned the difference in price. Their policy might well be different now though so it's worth checking.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    Didn't work for me - went for bifocals instead.

Most places will let you try for free, like I did, I suspect.

I bought veri-focal from specsavers buy one pair get a pair free,

Day 1 experience, I hated them, made me feel dizzy, sick and couldn’t see my computer screen unless I tipped my head up and looked through the bottom edge.

Day 15 experience, same as day 1, I couldn’t use my computer at all.

Went back to sort my second pair so they made them different, the second pair were what they call “occupational” so more for computer work.

I now have two pairs, one is great for day to day wear and driving, the second I can only whear when working on my computer.

I have had them a year now and got used to them for day to day, next time i’ll Buy vari for day to day but a fixed single lens for computer work.

I wear mine for all the tasks I undertake in a day, living, driving, PC, TV and a bit of tinkering with no problem at all in fact sometimes I forget i'm wearing them, what I did do though with my new pair was to have a larger lens which I think helped a lot.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    That would be inconvenient and I can understand you not wanting to waste a not inconsiderable sum on something you potentially might not get on with.

At the time I tried varifocals SpecSavers changed the lenses for single vision and returned the difference in price. Their policy might well be different now though so it's worth checking.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Certainly a possible option, although will end up with exactly the same frame and single vision prescription as the ones I’m currently wearing, which, were it not for a change in reading ability would remain useful.

All great fun eh!

I've worn varifocals for at least 15 years and I've had good and bad pairs. The wort pair was from Boots, the frames and position of my pupils were measured by a trainee and when I got the glasses I couldn't see anything correctly because it was discovered that the "sweet spot" on one lens was down on my cheek and the other lens up on my forehead (maybe a slight exaggeration) and they re-made them twice before they were acceptable.

Other problems are the vertical band of correction too narrow, giving no correction for peripheral vision and the other problem is horizontal band of correction too narrow so that the transition between distance and close is too rapid.

On my last 2 for 1 deal I got one pair of varifocals which only correct from close to medium distances and I find these perfect for the office.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I'm pleased that the walking down the stairs bit affects a lot of people. It has put my mind at ease, i thought it may have been a balance problem with myself.
    Varifocals are great, after spending many a year having a pair of specs for long distance and one for up close, and only ever wearing the at distance pair.
    I eventually took a punt on the varifocal approach.
    Never looked back, just be aware that when looking at a straight edge, it will appear to be bent.

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Never looked back, just be aware that when looking at a straight edge, it will appear to be bent.
    Doesn’t for me!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Other problems are the vertical band of correction too narrow, giving no correction for peripheral vision and the other problem is horizontal band of correction too narrow so that the transition between distance and close is too rapid.
    So the lower part of the lens edges have no correction for either distance or close up?

I’m wondering if it’s worth trying a cheap pair, but then a cheap pair won’t have the coverage of correction, so won’t be trialling what I’d eventually order.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Hadn’t read that part before...assuming you mean straight edge as in a rule, not that every straight edge will be bent?

Master
    So the lower part of the lens edges have no correction for either distance or close up?

I’m wondering if it’s worth trying a cheap pair, but then a cheap pair won’t have the coverage of correction, so won’t be trialling what I’d eventually order.

Mine have 3 horizontal vision bands. Top is longer distance, middle computer screen distance, bottom reading. Though tbh I can see through all of them fine but you can tell the difference.

Menno
    Same here, I have to take my glasses off when going up or down stairs, although patterns don't make it any worse for me - the lenses affect my depth/distance perception. I have also had one or two 'moments' (but no spills) when coming to a stop on the bike due to the ground not being quite where I thought it was in relation to my foot!
    After a few years I still haven't got used to having to move my head rather than just my eyes, particularly when reading.

I've only had mine for a couple of months and luckily I didn't have any problems from day 1

I use them for my computer during the day (with multiple monitors) and for driving and also in the evening for my phone and have no issue with watching the TV at the same time

My long distance prescription is only small so could make a difference

Mine were from specsavers and had a couple of pairs of their top spec for just over £300, partly due to my work insurance covering this amount :). Must admit with the offers I found they were quite a lot cheaper than boots and vision express

As others have said I think most opticians will let you try them for a month and if you don't get on with them they'll let you change them and they said they would refund any difference

Master
    For those who have commented about moving your heads to read, are we talking broadsheet papers, or more of a kindle / iPad screen?

The broadsheets I can understand being a challenge. If it’s moving head to read a kindle that’s about 7” wide, then that could possibly do my head in.

Does anyone have any rayban variable lenses? Cannot find anywhere suggesting if they are extended vision ones, or the basic narrow reading area? Much as I love the G-15 colour, and having the logo on the lens (so less ‘prescription’), I might struggle getting used to those in particular.

So far thinking of wayfarer vari clear for day to day, wayfarer vari lens sunglasses by rayban, keeping my current wayfarer prescription for in the car, then converting my current wayfarer back to non prescription and have them as a reading / contacts pair.

And I’m now up to 4 pairs of the same glasses lol

Master
    Varifocals gave me a migraine 😱