closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electric clipper / shaver socket

Electric clipper / shaver socket

Quick question for any passing sparks... our flat in Douglas is getting a refurb including rewiring and my project manager has asked me if I need shaver sockets in the bathrooms.

Given that I grew my beard as soon as I left school and that I can count the number of times it’s been shaved off over the intervening 35 years on both hands my immediate thought was “no”.

But I do use a set of Wahl clippers of the kind used by dog groomers to topiarise the facial minge every week or two, so my question is whether they could be run off a shaver socket, obviously after changing the plug.

Would this work?

It's been fine for me in several properties & with several Wahl products, but I think you'll get a more thorough reply wrt amperage limits from a qualified person. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I find mine is ideal for charging the electric toothbrush and the razor, both having two pin plugs.

Never seen that type of plug for sale TBH. If they were might encourage all sorts of malpractice!

Craftsman
    At least he asked. My builder almost argued with me when i asked for these in my daughters’ bathroom. The reason being, as stated above, is for charging electric toothbrushes.

Quote Originally Posted by deejay View Post
    At least he asked. My builder almost argued with me when i asked for these in my daughters’ bathroom. The reason being, as stated above, is for charging electric toothbrushes.
    Ladies also use shavers!

Thanks gents.

A cursory search tells me that I can find a replacement shaver cord, albeit of the irritating coiled variety reminiscent of a 1980s guitar cable, for a few pounds. The resourceful in me would cut off its female plug at the shaver end, open up the clippers and replace the standard flex with the shaver-plug version.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Ladies also use shavers!
    Unless they’re Dr Bateman 😀

Master
    Rechargeable clippers might be an elegant solution.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Thanks gents.

A cursory search tells me that I can find a replacement shaver cord, albeit of the irritating coiled variety reminiscent of a 1980s guitar cable, for a few pounds. The resourceful in me would cut off its female plug at the shaver end, open up the clippers and replace the standard flex with the shaver-plug version.
    Are the pins too thick on a Euro plug?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Are the pins too thick on a Euro plug?

R
    I believe the spacing is different.

Blog Entries
    You do not just need a shaver socket for the shaver. For example if you have a waterjet flosser, with a rechargeable electric toothbrush, these will need a socket near the basin. And you change its plug to whatever format the socket accepts. Low amperage, no prob.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    You do not just need a shaver socket for the shaver. For example if you have a waterjet flosser, with a rechargeable electric toothbrush, these will need a socket near the basin. And you change its plug to whatever format the socket accepts. Low amperage, no prob.
    I’m not so sure about that, do you mean like a 3 pin UK standard socket connected to the ring circuit?

R

A shaver socket is a good thing because it contains an isolating transformer which means you're much less likely to receive a shock in the event of a malfunction. E.g. when you drop your clippers in the bath.

Blog Entries
    I’m not so sure about that, do you mean like a 3 pin UK standard socket connected to the ring circuit?

R

Many of the mirror-cum cabinet on the market have a socket inside, which is two pin and linked to the main circuit. All installed by my certified Electrician in Sheffield, so I guess is kosher.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/bathroo...mo99656fdve7vs

It is a two pin, like the plug of shavers but also electric toothbrushes and waterjets

BWs
    F

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I believe the spacing is different.
    I don't think so. My beard trimmer was bought in Budapest and has a two pin European plug on it which fits perfectly into a UK shaver socket. That said, Shucko plugs don't fit as they have fatter pins.

Any shaver outlet socket that certified for a bathroom will have an isolation transformer built into it. Not sure of the maximum load it can provide but while it'll be OK for a shaver I'm not sure it could cope with something like a waterjet pick.

K

Blog Entries
    Any shaver outlet socket that certified for a bathroom will have an isolation transformer built into it. Not sure of the maximum load it can provide but while it'll be OK for a shaver I'm not sure it could cope with something like a waterjet pick.

K
    Several of the waterjet oral irrigators are specifically described as being able to use the shaver socket. Waterpik does, Panasonic does.