closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Being a Bike Delivery Rider- Know anyone that's tried it?

Master

Being a Bike Delivery Rider- Know anyone that's tried it?

Think Deliveroo / Ubereats etc.

A relative is thinking of trying it, they have a bike and whilst I wouldn't try it myself has anyone given it a go? I'm not exactly sure how much money can be made for a few hours work but my relative thinks he can make £20 an hour if not more. I'm not sure the risks outweigh the reward as I've seen some crazy riding by some of the scooter/bike delivery drivers.

Not even sure what the start up costs would be if he was to try it out. I've said it doesn't sound like a good idea or could it be a viable way of making a little cash when it suits, what do you think?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skool View Post

A relative is thinking of trying it, they have a bike and whilst I wouldn't try it myself has anyone given it a go? I'm not exactly sure how much money can be made for a few hours work but my relative thinks he can make £20 an hour if not more. I'm not sure the risks outweigh the reward as I've seen some crazy riding by some of the scooter/bike delivery drivers.

Not even sure what the start up costs would be if he was to try it out. I've said it doesn't sound like a good idea or could it be a viable way of making a little cash when it suits, what do you think?
    It is a kamikaze job you need a rather special attitude for.

I tried it over 40 years ago in Amsterdam and nope. Today´s traffic has not improved to put it positively.

Quote Originally Posted by Skool View Post

£20 p/h!? You will be around the minimum wage and likely under not over. I have a few friends who were cycle couriers ‘back in the day’ when documents and packages were being wizzed all over London, the numbers of cycle couriers have dwindled since then and it’s hardly a good living. They all had a good laugh while they were on the road as there was a drinking/weed smoking culture that went with it.

The low paid hipster job of choice that has a ‘scene’ is now being a barista. Better working conditions, better pay and you do not get rained on.

It’s not that difficult to find out about Uber/deliveroo cycling delivery as plenty of people have written about it recently and how the hours and demand for better paid slots works.

Blog Entries
    My son does that for a local Sushi bar and uses the trips as a 'hitt' training for his sport. He's rather quick. Payment (legal youth minimum wage): € 4.10 /hr + € 0.50 per delivery and on an average night: € 10.00 tips during a 3 hr. shift. In short: almost € 25.00 for three hours.

Menno

My son used to do it for Deliveroo when at school until rules changed so he had to be 18 (he was 17).

Money ok for a youngster, probably averaged £8/hour with tips. Occasionally lazy and signed in from bedroom (spoofing location) and just received the hourly rate. Someone he knew was sacked after spending weeks getting paid for sitting in McDonalds as they can choose whether to accept the calls.

Think you'd have to go some to make £20/hour though (assuming OP means push-bike). Start-up costs aren't much, think he paid ~£50 for uniform and box which think are supposed to be refundable though box gets quite sh##ty after a few spillages inside!

Craftsman
    You must be joking with £20 ph! They pay between £3-5 per delivery (extremely lucky if you get more than that!) and no tips as the orders are paid through the app.
    If you do 4 deliveries ph...you're a very fast courier. Plus the waiting time in the restaurants to collect the order.
    Not as good as you might think.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kokolino23 View Post
    You must be joking with £20 ph! They pay between £3-5 per delivery (extremely lucky if you get more than that!) and no tips as the orders are paid through the app.
    If you do 4 deliveries ph...you're a very fast courier. Plus the waiting time in the restaurants to collect the order.
    Not as good as you might think.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Some people do still tip.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    That’s exactly the video I think sums it up.

Pros : as I believe them
    As you get to know where places are you can optimise routes
    Work when you like

Cons:
    Some of the flats with concierge service or no service
    Riding in diesel fumes all day long!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Some people do still tip.
    I genuinely can’t imagine not tipping. I always make sure I’ve got at least a couple of quid to give them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I genuinely can’t imagine not tipping. I always make sure I’ve got at least a couple of quid to give them.
    Think you can also tip in app.

Craftsman
    I did some Deliveroo for a laugh (always had dreams of being a bike messenger) and where I was it was relatively busy.

If I rode at full pelt I could get £11 an hour, if memory serves it was £7 per hour with £1 per drop, so if I did 4 drops in an hour I'd make the 11. This was based on me growing up in the area and knowing every address without needing to look at a map and also being in good shape riding fast.

You have to bear in mind you'll need to register for self assessment and the gear is also an additional cost.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Think you can also tip in app.
    Most don’t know that/ don’t do that. And electronic payment is só big overhere that most people do not have cash anymore.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ejtrent View Post
    I did some Deliveroo for a laugh (always had dreams of being a bike messenger) and where I was it was relatively busy.

If I rode at full pelt I could get £11 an hour, if memory serves it was £7 per hour with £1 per drop, so if I did 4 drops in an hour I'd make the 11. This was based on me growing up in the area and knowing every address without needing to look at a map and also being in good shape riding fast.

You have to bear in mind you'll need to register for self assessment and the gear is also an additional cost.

I must admit I did think if it was possible to get paid for riding and doing a few deliveries when the hours suit then my cousin could be onto something. However it sounds like the risks outweigh the relatively poor returns. It's been a bit of an eye opener to hear how little some of the couriers make including ubering.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    That’s exactly the video I think sums it up.

Pros : as I believe them
    As you get to know where places are you can optimise routes
    Work when you like

Cons:
    Some of the flats with concierge service or no service
    Riding in diesel fumes all day long!
    The diesel fumes inhalation whilst breathing hard would give pause for thought especially for such low return.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Most don’t know that/ don’t do that. And electronic payment is só big overhere that most people do not have cash anymore.
    My son's experience here (as OP) is that he did okay with tips (both cash and app).