closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone been to Pompeii/Vesuvius?

Master

Anyone been to Pompeii/Vesuvius?

Hi
    I’m thinking about taking my daughter to Pompeii, Vesuvius, Herculaneum and Naples over the Easter holiday. Anyone been there before and have any recommendations as to the best place to stay.
    Thanks
    David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I stayed with a friend in Vomero, so can’t help with accommodation, but Pompeii is a huge site, so bring very comfortable shoes & some water.

Naples is a bit ‘moody’, and undoubtedly suffers from rubbish in the streets & graffiti abounds, but look past all the usual naysayers and it’s actually a fascinating, very ancient & vibrant city. The old town is fun to walk around, and the harbour area nice (there’s an Hotel there that featured in an episode of ‘The Sopranos’, with a cracking rooftop bar open to non-residents, and with great views of the castle, Vesuvius etc.).

Oh, and pizza (obviously).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David r View Post
    Hi
    I’m thinking about taking my daughter to Pompeii, Vesuvius, Herculaneum and Naples over the Easter holiday. Anyone been there before and have any recommendations as to the best place to stay.
    Thanks
    David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Morning
    Went to Sorrento last year for the second time. Very touristy, but managed to keep it's charm for me. Never made Pompeii, but went by train to Herculaneum as was suggested by many to be the better - more manageable - place to visit.

Arguably herc is better preserved as Pompeii was covered by lava and so many items were burnt up and damaged. Herc, on the other hand, was covered by ash, which in some ways preserved it. One thing suggested to me was: if you visit Herculaneum, get a guide. We did so and it was the best money we spent. Fantastic. And the cafes on the road from the station to the entrance are really proper italian cafes and really good value. Naples is a big city, not without problems of crime and so forth, but great to visit. Personally, my five penn'orth, stay in Sorrento, go by train to Herc (Or Pompeii if you want - or both). Love the place.
    Enjoy

I went almost 10 years ago on my honeymoon. We stayed in Sorrento, and got the train to Naples, Vesuvius and Pompeii etc. Sorrento was lovely, the whole Amalfi coast is just spectacular. Could get a boat out to Capri as well from Sorrento. Agree with the previous poster, Pompeii is massive! It might have changed since, but there was virtually nowhere within it to get water or a sandwich etc, though there were places dotted around the perimeter you could nip out to.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Yep, a few years back.

Right, Napoli. It’s dirty, full of graffiti, edgy as hell but absolutely wonderful and I loved the city. If you stay there you must see the Veiled Christ it is without doubt the most moving piece at sculpture I have ever seen, which baring in mind I have been to Roma, Firenze and Venizia is impressive.

There are several tours to Versuvius from Naples it’s just a minibus run or jump in a cab. Pompei, herculaneum and Sorento can all be got to by the train which runs round the Bay of Naples. Cheap, quick and fine with the odd group of musicians jumping on and playing. Look out for the kiddies collecting the money they will have your wallet away in a flash.

You also have Capri which is a short speedy ferry away from Napoli and a must do trip, it’s stunning.

Lots of neg written about Napoli, the stabbing capital of Europe etc etc, but just walk round with confidence, keep your wits and enjoy, it’s a fantastic city.

PM me if you need any further info on the trip if you decide to go.

Ta
    Pitch

Blog Entries
    Stayed in Sorrento a couple of years ago and took the train to Pompeii a very easy journey and you could get water etc outside but of course always better to be prepared and take your own.
    Never stayed in Naples but again have been by train from there to Sorrento which is the same line and again without a problem as has been said parts of Naples can be edgy but use your head as with any major city.
    However must say i found Capri the last we went a disappointment but the ferry journey is nice.
    Last edited by mart broad; 16th February 2019 at 13:47.

We go to Amalfi every year, that part of Italy is a great place to holiday.

Went to Naples a couple of years ago. We stayed near the harbour which is a lot less edgy than other parts of the city but walking distance to some of the older parts. As mentioned, just keep your wits about you and you’ll be absolutely fine . Watch the taxi drivers, the biggest crooks in the city . Get a price upfront before you get in .
    Definitely take the ferry to Capri . Try and go early and take a tour of the island , it’s beautiful.

We only did Pompeii on a fleeting visit but made the most of it by getting a guided tour which really helps with things you wouldnt spot . It’s a fascinating place and was really advanced . The exhibits are well preserved , some are locked behind bars or glass to save them . We went on a blisteringly hot day so take plenty of water, although there are drinking fountains on certain parts of the city.

We’ve stayed in Sorrento many times in the last 20 years. The others have pretty much nailed it. Stay in Sorrento, get the Circumvesuviana train to Herculaneum (my preference) and Pompeii. While in Sorrento,
    make sure you walk round to the Marina Grande, have a coffee and lemon cake at the 5 Sisters, and dinner at Delfino. In the main town, try Il Pozzo for very good food at relatively low prices.

Don’t spend long in Naples, but if you do go there, visit the Capello San Severo.

Get out on a boat if you can - Volaviamare to Capri, local boat tour, or the ferry to Ischia is an alternative option which is a bit quieter than Capri.

Master
    Wow. A lot of very detailed and really useful responses.

Thanks very much to you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    It’s all been said already but I’ll add my tuppeneth, stay close to Sorrento and the train, it really is the easiest way to get about.

We stayed in Piano di Sorrento last year, its close enough to Sorrento to spend plenty of time there but far enough to have a bit of quiet time, we would stay here again.

We went to Pompei, as already said, its huge, get a guide and take some water if its hot.

We were told that Herculaneum was better preserved and smaller so easier to get around but we ran out of time.

The boat trip to Capri was a nice way to spend a day, as was the boat trip around capri.

We drove to Positano and Amalfi, but so did everybody else, not a nice way to spend a day so get a boat from Sorrento and enjoy it rather than sit in traffic trying to look over the wall.

All in all its a beautiful part of the world that wont disappoint.

Grand Master
    Agree 100% with the above! We stayed close to the centre of Sorrento, I liked the place a lot although its not cheap. The boat trip to Capri is a good day out, we thoroughly enjoyed it. We walked up the hills and steps from the bottom of Capri to the top, but it’s quite a trek.....be warned!

Easiest way to get to Pompeii is by train. I’ll echo the advice given previously, wear comfy shoes and take some refreshments. A rucksack with food and drink is a good strategy. The site is huge, there’s a lot to see.

Paestum

Agree with all above but also try to get to Paestum if you have time. Greek temples in better condition than any in Gteece and good musuem

We had our honeymoon there too. Stayed at the Excelcior Vittoria which was amazing.

Best thing we did was to hire a little boat with sun shade and potter off around Capri and over to Possitano and other little seaside villages for the day. Loved it. You’re allowed to hire a small power boat without any experience or a license. Well recommended!

The train to pompeii was rammed, so full that my wife nearly had a panic attack, but it was a great day out too.

Can’t wait to go back to sorrento.

Ive stayed in Amalfi and Sorrento a number of times. The former is nicer but more expensive.

As regards Pompeii I've visited it three times. My, does it get crowded. Last time I went early in the morning as it opened and managed about an hour before the coaches and tours started. I found Herculaneum more interesting and as its so small in comparison you can get round to see all of it easily.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    We’ve stayed in Sorrento many times in the last 20 years. The others have pretty much nailed it. Stay in Sorrento, get the Circumvesuviana train to Herculaneum (my preference) and Pompeii. While in Sorrento,
    make sure you walk round to the Marina Grande, have a coffee and lemon cake at the 5 Sisters, and dinner at Delfino. In the main town, try Il Pozzo for very good food at relatively low prices.

Don’t spend long in Naples, but if you do go there, visit the Capello San Severo.

Get out on a boat if you can - Volaviamare to Capri, local boat tour, or the ferry to Ischia is an alternative option which is a bit quieter than Capri.
    ^ this 100%

Delfinos is great! And be sure to check out Davide’s for ice cream in town...
    https://goo.gl/maps/6dZxWqEC4BL2

Capri certainly worth the day trip for and to go swimming in the Med at the white, green, and blue grottos!

Craftsman
    Worth considering, hiking Mt Vesuvius. Its probably the most famous volcano in the world, its a pretty easy hike, and the view of Naples below puts the historical perspective and the precarious position Naples currently sits in clearly in focus.

I'd also like to suggest a stay in Positano, its a gem. The village itself is especially great after dark, and early morning before the tours start their day.

Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    Agree with all above but also try to get to Paestum if you have time. Greek temples in better condition than any in Gteece and good musuem
    Seconded. We stayed in Ravello, which was as nice as any of the towns along the coast.

Master
    Stopped in Serrento last year with my family. Had a great time, Pompeii is massive so have plenty of water, comfy trianers and time! Mt Vesuvius is great, we jumped on the train from Sorrento then a bus from the train station which took us quite far up Vesuvius (had my youngest who wouldn't have been able to walk all the way) then a short while to the top where I enjoyed a cold beer👍Lots of other places already mentioned are all worth visiting.

Craftsman
    Agree with all the above, and add a massive vote for Ischia, we spent 6 days there last year, then travelled to Sorrento and did Pompeii (which needs a full day to explore). Ischia is really still a working island and totally unpretentious compared to Capri. The fortress that dates from 500bc and used all the way up to the Middle Ages is just unbelievable, and you get a view of the entire island from there.

Craftsman

Craftsman
    A lot of us have been to Sorrento then. The posters above have covered it all really, I also much preferred Herculaneum to Pompei. If you did both then do Pompei first as it’s bit “meh” after you have seen Herculaneum IMO. Items, houses etc managed to survive at Herculaneum compared to Pompei.

If you choose Sorrento, the Hotel La Badia is well worth a look. It's a bit out of town by road but there is a short steepish, path up to it. Great location, good food and very friendly. Ask for a sea view room.

Blog Entries
    Coffee???? Get yourself off here. It’s very special

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...a.html?m=19905

Some years back we had a family holiday in Amalfi, staying in a lovely hotel, The Grand Excelsior (https://www.excelsior-hotel.it/en/) high above the town with views of the coast.

It was a great place with a definite '50s to '60s 'La Dolce Vita' feel to it.

We mainly used public transport and the hotel shuttle to get around and had no issues.

We went to Capri (away from the town centre it was lovely), Pompeii and Vesuvius (this was an arranged trip by the tour operator, but it's a little way to Naples, so probably a good way to do it if you don't have a car), Ravello and Positano during our week there.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I had a long weekend in Naples, as she'd wanted to see Herculaneum and I wanted to satisfy a scuba diving goal and dive on a ruined city and had discovered Baie.

This time we stayed in Naples, in another lovely hotel, the former convent at San Francesco Al Monte (https://sanfrancescoalmonte.it/en/), with stunning views of the bay of Naples and Vesuvius beyond.

Herculaneum was great, it's much smaller, but as others have said better preserved than Pompeii - If possible, though, go and see both.

Baie was great under water too (There have been a few programmes about it - Some on Youtube), but looks very interesting on land too, but we never got a chance to see that.

We also toured under the streets of Naples in the Aquifers (you might have seem Alexander Armstrong's programme on hidden Naples), which was a wonderful experience - Do this if you get the chance (unless you're claustrophobic or very unfit - There are lots of steps).

Naples itself is a bit of a S***hole, we passed used needles in the streets, so be careful in sandals! That said it has a lot of character and I really quite liked it (the castle right on the top of the hill is worth a visit), but my wife wasn't that keen.

M