closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Massdrop?..Glycine?..

Craftsman

Massdrop?..Glycine?..

..anyone tried it?

Looking at the current offer of the Glycine Airman Base 22 on "offer" at around $560 + import duties.

Not sure how good an offer this is,and reading some of the reviews from the previous Glycine drop the quality seems hit and miss,movement could be a Selita 200 or a ETA 2893 (which isn't a big issue to me),problems with miss aligned GMT hands and quality issues since being bought out by Invicta.(which is)

Saying all that,actually like the watch but unsure of things like import costs,whether it would be a faff if there was issues and need to return it,cheaper elsewhere?etc.

Anyone with any insight or an opinion even would be welcome.

Craftsman
    Not sure but I love Glycine. They are (or were) a great brand. Saying that I'm a bit out of touch these days, certainly since Invicta took them.over..

Craftsman
    Can't believe I said brand.

Craftsman
    Think is a lot of watch (or maybe was?) for the money.

Just hope the quality is still as good as it was a few years ago when I got my First one.

Master
    As I understand it mass drop deal with grey imports - hence it seems a bit of a risk - and I think you have to add VAT and Import duty to them.

However, seeing those watches are about £1k to £1.5k from an authorised Dealer in the UK - you might think it's worth it.

I saw this today and what struck me first was the use of the old Glycine logo instead of that winged monstrosity Invicta has inflicted on newer models.

If it's a proper 'old' Glycine, at that price I would say you can't go wrong. Just add in 20% tax and at least £15 RM/PF admin

@OP: If I wanted a (another) Glycine, I'd be specifically looking for models manufactured before 2016. This should ensure: ETA rather than Sellita, good old logo, and no Invicta involvement. AFAICT, the model on MD is not the 'good old Glycine' and the wingless logo is just what they started using again in 2018-ish. I'm writing this off the top of my head, so do fact-check.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I saw this today and what struck me first was the use of the old Glycine logo instead of that winged monstrosity Invicta has inflicted on newer models.
    Much as I didn't like the winged logo, either, I don't think there's any evidence that it was imposed by Invicta. It surely was introduced before the acquisition (rather shortly, but still). That said, depending on how long acquisition talks took, a speculation that the logo change decision was made somewhere along them wouldn't be purely nonsensical IMO. Same with the silent switch to Sellita.

Master
    Airman 9.

Blog Entries
    Have bought a couple and no problems they come with papers which cover the warranty and of course the old logo as to movement personally not bothered as both my purist and gmt are working well. You will get charged import and VAT as the watches are shipped with full value usually by DHL and you will not get delivery until charges have been paid once the watch lands in the UK an email is sent breaking down the fees.
    These are the same as you would buy from Jura for example and again in IMO worth a punt.

Craftsman
    Thanks all.
    Looking at the massdrop comments they mention an eBay seller who is an outlet seller of glycine.looks like old stock as most models mention 25 jewel movements.
    Sadly doesn't look like they ship to the UK.

Sent from my Mi A1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Well,took the gamble,avoided the GMT and went for the Purist.Paid more than the US ebay seller had them on for but they don't post outside the States.
    Waiting to see what the import tax I get hit with,and what I need to sell.

Hope I am not disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by abbs View Post
    Well,took the gamble,avoided the GMT and went for the Purist.Paid more than the US ebay seller had them on for but they don't post outside the States.

You will get hit for 20% of the stated value noted on the form, plus the £7 Royal Mail admin fee (£15 if it's Parcel Farce), but if it's a proper old Glycine I don't think you'll be disappointed

If it's a purist it takes some time to work out how to tell the time

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abbs View Post

Keep us posted 👍

They've just posted the Combat Subs up too: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/glycine-combat-sub-watch

I had the Golden Eye one for a while. Lovely watch.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    If it's a purist it takes some time to work out how to tell the time
    Don't you just look at your phone like the rest of us?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    They've just posted the Combat Subs up too: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/glycine-combat-sub-watch

I had the Golden Eye one for a while. Lovely watch.

Steve
    Are they 24mm lug width or is that an error?

Pretty sure it was 22mm before...

I don't know if its still the case, but when I bought my Glycine, all the massdrop offers where from the same company. They have an ebay presence called Watchgooroo, which you can find here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/watchgooroo

They look expensive, but they are always happy to match, or sometimes slightly better, the massdrop price if you make an offer. They ship via the ebay global shipping program, so all the tax is added upfront. The advantage is it doesn't hang around in customs, the disadvantage being that there is zero chance of you getting away without paying it :)

I used them once and had no issues. They have lots of watches :)

They are offering the Airman No1 in 36 & 40mm at the moment. $550 which is not bad.
    I've bought one so will see. Postage is only a few dollars so at least there is limited VAT on that (you get charged VAT on the postage cost)!

I noticed that the Glycine discounts on Massdrop are closely aligned to this website...

https://www.discountwatchstore.com/

I bought from them a while back but I was able to get them to ship to one of my colleagues in the USA who brought the watch home for me on a regular business visit.

They had that white faced 36mm Airman up until a week ago.

For anyone interested, D12 on MD: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/glycine...e-twelve-watch

Looks like it's from the good old ETA-based stock, although I'm confused by the 42mm case dia -- I think it should read 40.

When I think how much I paid for mine... But happy with the watch itself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    For anyone interested, D12 on MD: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/glycine...e-twelve-watch

Looks like it's from the good old ETA-based stock, although I'm confused by the 42mm case dia -- I think it should read 40.

When I think how much I paid for mine... But happy with the watch itself.
    The 063 etc is 42mm whereas the GL0234 and 0235 series are 40mm.

The 42mm has a depth rating of 10atm and the 40mm is increased to 20atm.

Note that the blue dial is a "degrade" finish - it fades top to bottom which isn't very apparent on the images on the Massdrop site.

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    The 063 etc is 42mm whereas the GL0234 and 0235 series are 40mm.

The 42mm has a depth rating of 10atm and the 40mm is increased to 20atm.

Note that the blue dial is a "degrade" finish - it fades top to bottom which isn't very apparent on the images on the Massdrop site.
    I think they changed the description and photos between your post and mine. Now it's clear, earlier I only saw the four 23x models and their pics, without the 393x references, and yet with 42mm as size -- that's why I said I was confused.

Well, this thread needs a pic now.