closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Deployant Clasp - Best Bang For Buck?

Craftsman

Deployant Clasp - Best Bang For Buck?

I'm after a good quality deployant (or several) at a sensible price.
    I'm happy to splash out if the gains are there to be had. Seemingly though, not even the obscenely priced offerings from the upmarket brands are without criticism.
    From a brief google enquiry, the RHD Deployant from mywatchmaker.net in the USA. Seems to garner universal acclaim at a more sensible cost (~$40 + postage, tax etc)
    Has anybody tried one, or have an alternative suggestion please?

Christopher Ward have some of the most comfortable watch straps out there for the money. They almost all have quick change spring bars and most of them come with their own deployment clasps. Would seem to be the cheapest way of getting one.

Master
    Watch Obsession, £32.00, 316L stainless steel & Omega compatible.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Watch Obsession, £32.00, 316L stainless steel & Omega compatible.
    The material is only one factor in a good deployant. i have a stainless deployant but the clasp is rubbish. has popped open more than a few times. Thats not saying the watch obsessions are not good, Im just saying to look for reviews and decide based on more than just the material.

Best one i have so far is the seiko 18mm one, was about 50 quid from seiya. I hear the strapcode ones are good, but i have not yet tried them.
    Last edited by Wilson_smyth; 15th February 2019 at 22:51.

Craftsman
    Thank you for the suggestions.
    From those made so far I am most tempted by the watch obsession option, due in part to straight forward UK delivery.
    Although I would be looking to try their double folding butterfly style deployant. Since I am curious if this may be more comfortable than the single fold omega style. Which I have tried and ditched previously, due to the curve not playing nice with my chunky wrist.
    Does anybody else have any further suggestions?
    Or first hand experience of either the Watch Obsession 'Deployment Clasp' or RHD Deployant?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    The material is only one factor in a good deployant. i have a stainless deployant but the clasp is rubbish. has popped open more than a few times. Thats not saying the watch obsessions are not good, Im just saying to look for reviews and decide based on more than just the material.

Best one i have so far is the seiko 18mm one, was about 50 quid from seiya. I hear the strapcode ones are good, but i have not yet tried them.
    Thanks for the warning - I'll keep an eye on it, it looks OK so far but I'll watch it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moses View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions.
    From those made so far I am most tempted by the watch obsession option, due in part to straight forward UK delivery.
    Although I would be looking to try their double folding butterfly style deployant. Since I am curious if this may be more comfortable than the single fold omega style. Which I have tried and ditched previously, due to the curve not playing nice with my chunky wrist.
    Does anybody else have any further suggestions?
    Or first hand experience of either the Watch Obsession 'Deployment Clasp' or RHD Deployant?

I bought a Watch Obsession deployant to use with my Speedmaster. Three weeks in, it's looking fine, good fit & clasp closes well with a defined click. I'm watching it but so far all's well.

Only one I have is Eddies 2 piece nylon strap with bead blasted deployment, super comfortable and the deployment is solid and well made, great for £12.00..

http://www.timefactors.com/tftwopcnylonstrap.htm

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    I’d be inclined to trust the one from Watchobsession, I’ve been impressed with stuff I’ve bought from them, I think their comittment to quality is good.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Only one I have is Eddies 2 piece nylon strap with bead blasted deployment, super comfortable and the deployment is solid and well made, great for £12.00..

http://www.timefactors.com/tftwopcnylonstrap.htm
    I'll echo this; I'm using one of Eddie's blasted deployants on a Hirsch Andy with my DNV, as well as on the nylon strap on my PRS-18Q

On the flip side, I bought a Hadley-Roma butterfly deployant clasp for a Hirsch Liberty to fit my Everest and it is dreadful. I really need to find an alternative.

Forgot to add that a consideration is the thickness of strap that the deployant will accommodate, as a lot of clasps only seem suitable for thin straps.

Craftsman
    Good point. Thanks.
    The deployant is intended for a strap that is 22mm wide and 4mm thick at the clasp end.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I bought a Watch Obsession deployant to use with my Speedmaster. Three weeks in, it's looking fine, good fit & clasp closes well with a defined click. I'm watching it but so far all's well.
    Same, had mine for 6 months and it's performed very well.

I have 2 RHD, single and double fold, and Watch Obsession Omega style so here’s my take.

I do find the single fold RHD the most uncomfortable due to the design where the majority of the clasp is against your wrist and it can pinch your skin when you put it on. Very well made with a nice spring action and positive click. You still have to thread the end through the keeps tho.

I find the double fold RHD the hardest to put on as first you have to fold in and click the end nearest the camera then do the same for the other end and still have to tuck into the keepers. Build quality excellent as expected.

The Watch Obsession deployment was purchased a couple of weeks ago for my Seamaster and I think by far the best one in terms of ease of use. The open end of the strap actually sits against your wrist and the mechanism hinges in the opposite direction to the single RHD so no pinching of the skin. You have to take the keepers off so you simply slide it over your wrist, fold it, click it. Done, and its a very positive click. The only complaint I had was that it does not release easily, one side seems to catch but this may be due to it being new. Anyway I seem to have found a way round it by tilting it slightly while pressing both the buttons. The click is very solid and satisfying so I find myself sitting there unclicking and clicking it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rgee; 17th February 2019 at 18:26.

Craftsman
    Many thanks rgee for kindly taking the time to share this invaluable advice.

Journeyman
    Had two from waccex.de, both 22mm PAM style, after a few from eBay these were a revelation.

Poslano sa mog CLT-L29 koristeći Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I find Omega oem deployant is very comfortable.
    get it on 2nd hand market to save a chunk of money

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hchj; 24th February 2019 at 05:06.

Deployant Clasp - Best Bang For Buck?

Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    I have 2 RHD, single and double fold, and Watch Obsession Omega style so here’s my take.

I do find the single fold RHD the most uncomfortable due to the design where the majority of the clasp is against your wrist and it can pinch your skin when you put it on. Very well made with a nice spring action and positive click. You still have to thread the end through the keeps tho.

I find the double fold RHD the hardest to put on as first you have to fold in and click the end nearest the camera then do the same for the other end and still have to tuck into the keepers. Build quality excellent as expected.

The Watch Obsession deployment was purchased a couple of weeks ago for my Seamaster and I think by far the best one in terms of ease of use. The open end of the strap actually sits against your wrist and the mechanism hinges in the opposite direction to the single RHD so no pinching of the skin. You have to take the keepers off so you simply slide it over your wrist, fold it, click it. Done, and its a very positive click. The only complaint I had was that it does not release easily, one side seems to catch but this may be due to it being new. Anyway I seem to have found a way round it by tilting it slightly while pressing both the buttons. The click is very solid and satisfying so I find myself sitting there unclicking and clicking it!!

I am looking for a clasp to put on a hirsch Robby for a planet ocean 45. Would these clasp esp the single RHD work with it or you need a specific Omega type band ?
    Do they have a pin that goes in the strap holes (so it’s fixed position) or you can micro adjust it anywhere? With the tang & buckle I tend to be in between two holes .

Thanks. I hope this would work out on the Robby it looks very nice.

The one on your last photo looks nice and comfortable. It’s the watchobsession one ? Does it work with any strap like the hirsch Robby ?

Last edited by tbensous; 24th February 2019 at 09:17.

I`ve just fitted one of these and if you`re interested in bang for buck then i don`t think you can get better.
    The quality for six quid is excellent, i also have a genuine Omega one that this one`s based on and it`s not 30 X the quality but is 30 X the cost..

I bought it to replace a double-fold type as in the pictures above. Now, that one was seriously uncomfortable, the sharp-edged buttons on the side of the clasp digging into my skin and the whole clasp leaving an impression on my wrist after wearing. Very irritating...

The one thing this thread has made me realise, is that if I opt for an Omega style deployant, I'd have to snip off the fixed keeper on my straps.

As this is a one way operation, I'm going to continue to look at deployants where the free strap end (is there a technical term for this) goes outside the, err, other end (buckle end)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    The one thing this thread has made me realise, is that if I opt for an Omega style deployant, I'd have to snip off the fixed keeper on my straps.

As this is a one way operation, I'm going to continue to look at deployants where the free strap end (is there a technical term for this) goes outside the, err, other end (buckle end)
    The other option is not to use the first fixed keeper, try placing the free strap end over it and just use the floating keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by inthered View Post
    The other option is not to use the first fixed keeper, try placing the free strap end over it and just use the floating keeper.
    I think one of us is misunderstanding.

On the Omega style deployants the "free end" goes underneath the deployant end, next to the wrist so I don't think either keeper is used. Whilst the floating keeper can be removed if not used, the fixed keeper cannot and is waving freely and is likely to get caught on things.

Does anyone have experience of the Hirsch Pusher deployment on the Watch Obsession site? There a fewer gold options and this one looks quite promising, if a bit pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post

Sorry, but that is on the wrong way round. If there were a buckle on that strap, the buckle end goes at 12. With a single fold deployment, like this, the strap needs changing round and the buckle half of the strap goes on the 6 end of the watch, so that the deplyment closes towards you. That will make it a whole lot more comfy.