timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seiko 6105 re-issue, the SLA033

Craftsman

Seiko 6105 re-issue, the SLA033

Seiko have it on their Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/sla033/?hl=en

Shame as it looks like it will cost a fair bit.

Looks great, be interesting to see the price.
    It puts me off buying an original when I see a re creation that is almost exactly the same, seems to dilute the 'specialness' of the original for me. It's why I wouldn't be buying an original a 70's Silverstone etc..

I wonder if they've stuck to the original dimensions or gone stupid like most of their reissues. It's probably about 50mm

I think it's bigger...I dunno about anyone else but every reissue seems to miss the point or mark in one way or another. Diver's 200m isn't to my taste. The dial looks like it lost the charm of an original, and the insert whilst looking like a good representation just seems ...too shiny. No applied logo it seems? Hmm..

New market. New interest, unfortunately I find these watches to go against everything I liked about Seiko. Limited editions. Highly priced...all because a lot of the enthusiasts that propelled them to this status, picking up 6105s for a few 100 dollars....modding them, working out what models came with certain movements, lume colours, short or long sweep hands....realised that they were excellent value for money with decent, slightly crude build quality. Now it's just aimed at people who like to show off and pretend they're Martin Sheen. :)

Seems like a consistent FU to anyone without a couple of K to glow at any time.

It will all come down to the price.
    It's just a matter of time...

A real shame if it doesn't stay true to it's roots and Seiko prices it as a premium piece. I know they weren't exactly cheap watches when they first came out, but sticking an 8L movement in it and charging an arm and a leg will be disappointing.

If they positioned it with the turtle at a similar spec and price point, I wonder which would prove the more popular design? I know which I'd choose.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post

New market. New interest, unfortunately I find these watches to go against everything I liked about Seiko. Limited editions. Highly priced...all because a lot of the enthusiasts that propelled them to this status, picking up 6105s for a few 100 dollars....
    Seems like a consistent FU to anyone without a couple of K to glow at any time.
    Seiko have some excellent watches in their standard lineups, theres nothing wrong with them releasing limited editions at higher prices. Especially when other purely luxury brands standard lineup is already treated like a limited edition and won't sell them without the customer buying another watch with it, there's a waiting list you just never get to the top of as you're not a preferred customer .

If the work has gone into it and quality is there then they owe it to themselves and customers to charge appropriately.

Seiko have never been known to charge crazy prices, at least to my mind.
    They have affordable and expensive lines, with quality and finish to match and the quality you get is usually well above and worth more than the price paid.

I'd love this watch. If it's more than a grand then it's out of my league, but such is life.
    Last edited by Wilson_smyth; 15th February 2019 at 19:18.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post

If they positioned it with the turtle at a similar spec and price point, I wonder which would prove the more popular design? I know which I'd choose.
    What would the sense be in competing with their own product lines and price ranges?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    What would the sense be in competing with their own product lines and price ranges?
    I wasn't suggesting they do that. I was wondering under such circumstances which model would prove more popular.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuerfan View Post
    Looks great, be interesting to see the price.
    It puts me off buying an original when I see a re creation that is almost exactly the same, seems to dilute the 'specialness' of the original for me. It's why I wouldn't be buying an original a 70's Silverstone etc..
    Collectors will always IMO prefer the original over a reissue,but perhaps also buy the reissue too.

Might get mine out tomorrow.

Preliminary intel I got out of Thailand is that this will be priced at 175k Thai Baht which in £GBP is around £4,300

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Preliminary intel I got out of Thailand is that this will be priced at 175k Thai Baht which in £GBP is around £4,300
    Bloody hell.

Bonkers! And size…?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    Seiko have some excellent watches in their standard lineups, theres nothing wrong with them releasing limited editions at higher prices. Especially when other purely luxury brands standard lineup is already treated like a limited edition and won't sell them without the customer buying another watch with it, there's a waiting list you just never get to the top of as you're not a preferred customer .

If the work has gone into it and quality is there then they owe it to themselves and customers to charge appropriately.

Seiko have never been known to charge crazy prices, at least to my mind.
    They have affordable and expensive lines, with quality and finish to match and the quality you get is usually well above and worth more than the price paid.

I'd love this watch. If it's more than a grand then it's out of my league, but such is life.
    Wholeheartedly agree.
    There’s clearly a market and Seiko are tapping into it. They’re a business, it would be a dereliction of duty if they didn’t.

I’m sure it’ll sell well, but I’m also fairly sure I won’t be getting one.

At 4300 for new ,the old ones will be very popular and also shoot up

Well , at £4300 it would be way above my budget .

Nice alignment of the dial. And are those hands aftermarket?

What happened to you, Seiko.

Size seems identical to the original. Case is probably thicker though.

Any idea what the case diameter is?

Master
    44 mm

This is IMHO hideous and I'd much rather have the model Tony is selling on SC instead.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That's better

It's very frustrating not being able to read Japanese.

Love it, but prefer my 1975 original.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I do think they kick the arse out of the price on their re-issues..... don’t know why I expect more from them than the other big brands, foolish notion that they might appreciate the enthusiast a bit more, and make them a bit more affordable along the lines of the originals, rather than milking it like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I think they are now just ripping the piss with the price especially as the advertising shot clearly has alignment issues. Stunning.

This is IMHO hideous and I'd much rather have the model Tony is selling on SC instead.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Completely agree

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    At 4300 for new ,the old ones will be very popular and also shoot up
    It’s great news if you have an original.

Reissue doesn’t have any of the detail that makes the original so nice but then neither have any of the other reissues and that hasn’t stopped people buying them.

Also good news is you can now pickup a (previously laughed at) 6105 with a full eBay work over with awful misaligned dial (complete with rounded indices and smooth lume) and get a copy of the new release at a fraction of the price.

Like this fake dial special, same indices!

Or maybe Seiko went to sharkey and got the dials made and bought their hands haha!

Last edited by jameswrx; 16th March 2019 at 13:11.

Out of my price range ,I have had originals but they have now long gone.I would rather buy an original for a fraction of the cost of the new one, or a homage tweaked, even cheaper for 90% of the feel . Not for the purists but it keeps me happy
    here's mine

Last edited by peter2704; 16th March 2019 at 14:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    I think they are now just ripping the piss with the price especially as the advertising shot clearly has alignment issues. Stunning.
    My thought too.

It's sad to see the retail at this crazy price point. They will sell them as per usual.

Lovely watch. The movement justifies a price around the Marinemaster auto range, but not nearly twice that. It seems Seiko has learned the worst possible lesson from it's Swiss counterparts.

To expensive for an reissue. I think you can get two originals (in great condition) for the price of this! Where s logic in that?

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koristeći Tapatalk

And just to mention, a lot of non-branded reissues out there if this or orig. is too much (Dagaz Typhoon, Sharkey,...)

Quote Originally Posted by martyloveswatches View Post
    To expensive for an reissue. I think you can get two originals (in great condition) for the price of this! Where s logic in that?
    One of the most renowned dive watches in history with a GS 8L movement. This is a superior watch to the original. Other watches with an 8L movement start around $2500 and the similarly specced 62MAS re-issue was a similar price to this.

So I'm not sure what the 'logic' problem would be?
    Last edited by bedlam; 17th March 2019 at 11:30.

It is not original and you can get 2 originals for that. I said that very clearly

And I think it is a matter of preferences in the end.
    Sure, new watch is better tehnically (it must be if compared to 30yrs+ old watch) but for that price I rather choose 2 originals

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    One of the most renowned dive watches in history with a GS 8L movement. This is a superior watch to the original. Other watches with an 8L movement start around $2500 and the similarly specced 62MAS re-issue was a similar price to this.

So I'm not sure what the 'logic' problem would be?
    I think it either makes sense or it doesn’t.

To me the beauty of the originals is the detail when in hand, the dial text, applied logo and the lovely sharp indices.

These reissues don’t have that and just hotrodding them with a fancy movement doesn’t make up for that. You don’t look at the movement when you look down at the watch.

The value of the originals has come about because they’re survivors and loved old tool watches, Seiko are milking the wealthy collectors (good luck to them) but no way does this reissue stand for anything the original does IMO. It might look roughly the same but it does so in the same way the above pictures I posted do.

Look at the state of the alignment too, and on a promotional picture!

The originals were roughly the equivalent of £1000 today I’d guess, is that movement worth an extra £3k? And to boot you get something that looks like a fake eBay special dial? Makes the originals look a great buying proposition to me.

As I said, all matter od personal preferences

My friend has 2 of originals and when I saw that watch, I was blown away. Such a masterpiece.

Buying a reissue for that price is a big NO for me. It is a reissue, fantastic watch but only a good copy (and copy is key word for me there); we can talk about tehnicality but I like the "X" factor of the original

Personally I like them old and a bit ratty. Like mine.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Live photo from Basel.

Strange they kept the original strap width. Should have made it 22mm.

5K? Man, that's a lot.

That 'Live' photo makes it look like an awful aftermarket attempt, the lighting at these shows are terrible and don't do the watches justice.

A few more details from Seiko:

The 1970 Diver’s Re-creation Limited Edition: SLA033
    Caliber 8L35
    Driving system: Automatic
    Vibrations: 28,800 vibrations per hour (8 beats per second)
    Power reserve: 50 hours
    Number of jewels: 26

Specifications
    Stainless steel case with super-hard coating
    Dual-curved sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating
    Screw case back. Screw-down crown
    Water resistance: 200m diver’s
    Magnetic resistance: 4,800 A/m
    Diameter: 45.0mm, Thickness: 13.0mm
    Silicone strap
    Approximate recommended retail price in Europe: €4,350
    Limited edition of 2,500

Preaching to the choir I am sure, but they’d have been much better off selling it at a Tudor Black Bay price point (£2.5k ish), and not as a limited edition.

Original size too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    Preaching to the choir I am sure, but they’d have been much better off selling it at a Tudor Black Bay price point (£2.5k ish), and not as a limited edition.

Original size too.
    There’s bound to be a less exclusive version along in due course.

It does look bloody good. It’s not that much bigger than the original, according to the specs. Seiko has been quite restrained with the steroids.

Craftsman
    New live pics from yonsson.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Good it’s 13mm thick. Wonder if it might actually wear well.

Would you rather have 45mm x 13mm than 40mm x 14.1mm?

Craftsman
    I spoke to Seiko today and final price is GBP3.850 and expected early July.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Good it’s 13mm thick. Wonder if it might actually wear well.

Would you rather have 45mm x 13mm than 40mm x 14.1mm?
    The latter definitely.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk