closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Noisy movement

Master

Noisy movement

Took a watch out the box today that I haven’t worn in some time and the automatic movement is very noisy. It’s was supremely quiet before. Been on the wrist 5 hours and time keeping is spot on, but still very noisy. Anyone more knowledgeable than me on watches got any ideas what could cause this?

Blog Entries
    Bit more information would be useful to know if that is normal - some movements are more nosy than others. What is the watch? brand, model, how old, etc.

Else - maybe it needs a service if there is an unusual change in behaviour.

Martyn.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not a 7750 is it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Not a 7750 is it?
    I guess so, it’s a breitling 7750 variant. Watch is from 2007 I think from memory. It was very quiet before so the noise is unusual. However it’s pretty much lay in the box for somewhere between 18 - 24 months as new toys got worn. A new toy received this week has same movement as is quiet enough.

If this usual for this movement?

Probably entirely normal. Does it feel like it's bouncing about in the case?

I can go ages without noticing the noise of my 7750 and then I can't stop noticing it for a while.

If I take it off and place it on a table, it sometimes sounds like a train's coming.

Craftsman
    My iwc pilot has a 7750 movement. I was a bit surprised when I heard it making almost like a rachet noise while moving when I first got it.

I put it down to being because it winds clockwise only. I never had any other watches with a 7750 so nothing to compare with.

I love to hear a Valjoux doing its thing!
    Not as good as spinning up a Kinetic … but good all the same.

I suspect that it’s the famous Valjoux wobble - it’s just that after so long not wearing it you’re no longer used to it.

My Navitimer World makes a helluva racket if the rotor’s still going round when you put the watch on a table! I love it, actually...

Simon

Grand Master
    Can`t understand why it should go from being relatively silent to noisy. No being used for a while shouldn't affect it.

Not sure whether Breitling use a different rotor bearing in their 7750 movements, but Omega definitely do. God knows why, can't understand why they do it, but it means the rotor bearing can't be swapped separately on the Omega variant.

Well worth keeping the things lubricated correctly, they tend to be a little quieter after oiling but usually these bearings get noisy when they're worn. It only takes a small amount of wear to increase the noise level, the bearing will continue to function without getting sloppy for a long time.......but like anything mechanical it'll last longer if its lubricated.