closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dress(y) Watch - Suggestions Please!

Dress(y) Watch - Suggestions Please!

I have rather a posh dinner date next month to celebrate a special occasion, but don’t currently have a suitable formal / dressy watch to wear. I’ve been trawling around to try to find inspiration, but I’ve drawn a blank so far and would appreciate any suggestions, especially for something a little unusual or non-mainstream / obvious.

I don’t want to spend a great deal, as it’s not a watch I’ll wear much, so it’s likely to be used and to cost up to about £500. I’d prefer a mechanical movement, but would consider quartz. I’m not necessarily against square or rectangular cases, but obviously it has to be fairly slim and sit nicely under a shirt cuff.

I don’t think anything larger than 40mm or smaller than 38mm is likely to float my boat, but I’m happy to be disabused of that notion.

Definitely off the list are:

• Yellow metal (case, hands, dial or indices)
    • Roman numerals
    • Jewelled indices
    • Open / skeleton dial
    • Complications other than running seconds, date, and /or (possibly) moonphase
    • Brown strap
    • Anything unobtainable within about three weeks of today

There must be something out there - please inspire me!

Thanks

Master
    Seiko Cocktail (many variants available)
    Orient Bambino (again many variants)
    Bulova may have something if you don;t mind quartz and avoid the blingtastic ones.

You might find an old Gerard Peregaux or Omega for that price on ebay which is always a good shout.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Seiko Cocktail (many variants available)
    Orient Bambino (again many variants)
    Bulova may have something if you don;t mind quartz and avoid the blingtastic ones.

You might find an old Gerard Peregaux or Omega for that price on ebay which is always a good shout.
    Great shout and totally agree. I was going to post about the Seiko's and Orient's but forgot you might get a vintage for that money.
    However you would need to research carefully for a vintage and factor in a service so time might not be on your side for this route.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Recently bought a vintage Tudor prince oysterdate for that kind of money - for that exact reason. Little smaller maybe than what you want, but sits perfectly for formal wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    FInd a good condition Sekonda Deluxe.Lot of Watch for very little money and look great!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've been thinking about the Cocktail Time and SARB, but was kind of hoping there might be something slightly more unusual out there that hasn't been on my radar so far. Should also have said that vintage isn't really my thing, at least not for this.

Are my expectations maybe too high for the suggested budget?

Grand Master
    Maybe not wearing a watch is the best option?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Maybe not wearing a watch is the best option?
    Ha I did think of that, but I never go out without a watch on :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Ha I did think of that, but I never go out without a watch on :)
    Nothing else on just a watch lol!!!

Master
    If you want something unusual take a look at watches.com, not sure about delivery times but you may be able to use them as a reference and source more locally.

Another avenue is to find a watch you like and then look to find an homage to that watch (if you like that kind of thing) for example if you like the look of an AP15400 but the 15+K asking price is a bit rich then there are decent looking homages about... A quick google of best homage for xxxx will usually turn up a few pages of results. I understand that homages are anathema to some people and that's fine, personally however if I like the look of something from a design perspective but have a lottery win's chance of owning one then I'd consider a good homage. I'm not talking about Replica watches.

If you want something to actually handle & try on, I'd suggest getting down the High St./mall & look at Dreyfuss & Co & Michel Herbelin. Admittedly, they're not very WIS-sy, but you should get a decent few quid off RRP if purchasing.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A second hand Longines Master Collection?

Master
    If you really want to be formal, it will be a gold watch with just hour and minute hands on a plain face, preferably with batons. Then either a gold bracelet or a slim black shiny strap.

Preferred size is around 34mm.

If you are only going to wear now and then, why not buy a vintage watch. There are dozens for sale. A friend of mine recently bought a mint gold Garrard for £400.00.

One of my favourites:

On my 7.5" wrist with a burgundy leather Pavstrap:

Junghans Maxbill £490 Mechanical 38mm Arabic Dial

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produc...xoCM9wQAvD_BwE

From a microbrand, Schaffen:

Thanks again to all who chipped in on this - it's given me some great ideas to take forward.

Meanwhile the immediate problem has been solved out of the blue by an incredibly generous offer from a friend and fellow TZer to lend me a very special watch from his collection for the occasion.

Thanks again.