closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Holding a Steering Wheel

Master

Holding a Steering Wheel

I tend to hold my steering wheel halfway between the recommended 9 and 3 and the now apparently dangerous 10 and 2 (see this). My grip is firm and I rarely only have one hand on the wheel (I drive an automatic, so I don't need to remove my hands to change gears).

Anyway, my other half insists on quite a floppy hold with an overhand grip at 8 and 4. I'm sure this isn't be safe: if she needs to quickly steer out of the way of some obstacle, I can't imagine that grip offers any sensible control. I'm in the US a lot with work, and looking out of a bus window at other drivers on the freeway fills me with dread - lots of hands resting on the wheel or single hand grips at the 7 position.

Am I alone in being a steering wheel grip pedant?

simon

Master
    You'll hate me then.

Usual town or relaxed driving, right hand thumb and fore finger between the spoke at 3 o'clock.

Or right whole hand grip at 6 o'clock

The 8, 4 overhand sounds demented. I too favour a 3 o clock lazy finger :)

Hands at 9 and 3 for me, but I drive like a demon. In my missus' SUV it's more relaxed but right always on 3. The overhand grip folk do is absolutely nuts.

Used to do the "Range Rover lounge" left arm on the centre rest with right hand at 12. It wasn't just me, check next you pass one you'll see loads doing this!

It really depends on what vehicle and the style of driving, but good observation of hazards is more of issue than hand placement IMO. Even the old police/instructor recommended "feeding the wheel" is a load of bollocks as it's way slower than 9/3.

driving the Cortina Mk2 ( 44 year old steering box) its hold tight with both hands @ 3-9 o'clock, modern car two handed @ 3 &9 with thumb's resting on wheel spokes , with ease of access to either side for cruise control & audio controls, some times on motorway in cruise control one right hand with elbow on door rest.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    ...but good observation of hazards is more of issue than hand placement IMO...
    Well, that's another thing that drives me crazy - drivers that insist on looking at their passenger during a conversation!

simon

Master
    10 to 2 does gives you advantage for an emergency swerve but then so does 5 to 11 - my instructor always taught me that.

.....but I have over the years and with the changes in cars (power steering etc) defaulted to 9 and 3.

As for our colonial brothers and sisters (they who will drive anywhere but "Goddamn Boston") I have seen some very strange driving positions - involving feet, animals, musical instruments, children - it gets more amusing the deeper south you go in my experience.

If you are in Calif you aint seen nothin' bro........

:-)

B

Remember my dad used to light his pipe whilst steering with this elbows, thick white smoke obscurring the road ahead.. Occassionally a match breaking or burning tobacco falling into his lap. Amazed I'm still here.

Master
    The transit van... Knee at 6, baccy and papers on lap, eyes darting between fag being rolled and road...

Seriously though, usually shift between 10 / 2, 9 / 3 and left arm on armrest and right arm on door with hand at 3 for motorway cruising.

10-2 with the thumbs not hooked around the steering wheel and slightly bent elbows. The push-pull animation on the link is comical as they are only using about a third of the steering wheel each side where in reality you have half each side to play with.

Tend not to loop my thumbs in, old habit learned to avoid the wheel whipping around and dislocating the thumb if you’re off road or smashing into something.
    Mostly somewhere just above 9 and 3, depends on what I’m up to (manic backroads and I’m sat bolt upright, both hands on) but can get lazy on the motorway and flit between one and 2 hands, sipping a coffee, eating an apple or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holding a Steering Wheel

10 and 2 here and I’m glad I do as I had to do an emergency swerve just yesterday on the M4 as I wasn’t paying attention and hadn’t realised that the traffic had slowed faster than I had thought.

Was a bit of a brown trouser moment but luckily I was already wearing brown trousers and the car has wipe down leather

10-2 back straight, arms bent

....but good observation of hazards is more of issue than hand placement IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    10 and 2 here and I’m glad I do as I had to do an emergency swerve just yesterday on the M4 as I wasn’t paying attention and hadn’t realised that the traffic had slowed faster than I had thought.

I laughed.

I also laughed at the fact the advice has changed. I've had a few racing instructor tips (on a track, I should add) and have been consistently told 9-3 is best for quick and easy movement without letting go of the wheel. That logic isn't unique to the track, IMO, so it's nice the real-world has caught up.

Master
    I was taught by a Rally instructor to hold the wheel at 9 and 3 but when turning to drop the lower hand off the wheel, never felt particularly comfortable with that.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    I was taught by a Rally instructor to hold the wheel at 9 and 3 but when turning to drop the lower hand off the wheel, never felt particularly comfortable with that.
    Works well when drifting on low traction surfaces eg gravel or mud rally course; reactions can be very quick.

Not good on high traction surfaces or public roads as the kickback or bumps could knock the wheel out of your hand.

Master
    Left hand at 12 o’clock, right hand out of the window gesturing at other drivers.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Left hand at 12 o’clock, right hand out of the window gesturing at other drivers.
    Ah, a BMW driver!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Ah, a BMW driver!
    At least he is in the process of indicating of some nature, contrary to the fallacy that BMW drivers do not indicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-2 for me, this was the position I was taught on my Police driving course.You weren't allowed to cross past 12 or you failed, although nowadays it's allowed. Always push/pull too. Too much sloppy deportmant at the wheel nowadays.

Hands at 9 and 3 for me, but I drive like a demon.
    Ditto
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Personally I don't think that my hands stay in any one place for very long and where they are is determined but what's happening at the time ... happily drive one handed at 'motorway speeds' but use both at half that on twisty A road.

Also whilst very left handed generally, driving seems to be the one thing were I'll happily rely on my right for a precise activity (the result of manual gearboxes I suppose)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    I tend to hold my steering wheel halfway between the recommended 9 and 3 and the now apparently dangerous 10 and 2 (see this). My grip is firm and I rarely only have one hand on the wheel (I drive an automatic, so I don't need to remove my hands to change gears).

Anyway, my other half insists on quite a floppy hold with an overhand grip at 8 and 4. I'm sure this isn't be safe: if she needs to quickly steer out of the way of some obstacle, I can't imagine that grip offers any sensible control. I'm in the US a lot with work, and looking out of a bus window at other drivers on the freeway fills me with dread - lots of hands resting on the wheel or single hand grips at the 7 position.

Am I alone in being a steering wheel grip pedant?

simon
    2 o’clock or 6 o’clock for me and one hand on the knob. I’m natural heel and toer as well. Old school.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It all depends on what I'm driving, road / weather conditions and whether I need to 'make progress' or just taking it easy.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    and one hand on the knob
    Last time I did that I crashed!

Master
    Last time I did that I crashed!
    What about the other times?

Really depends where and how I’m driving. Usually one handed, while trying to surf or send sext messages with the other hand, or driving with my knees while I’m doing my make up in the sun visor vanity mirror.
    It's just a matter of time...

Depends on the car.
    If it's an Aston, I grip firmly at 9 and 3.
    If it's french, then I'll use the thumb and forefinger of my left hand.

9 and 3, very light grip.

I have my hands in the grip sections moulded into the steering wheel. Or 9 o'clock & window sill.

The one that gets me is the drivers who somehow manage to drape a forearm around the top of the wheel (usually van drivers).