closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Trench Watch Homages: Lufbery v Axiom

Master

Trench Watch Homages: Lufbery v Axiom

I'm getting the itch to get a Trench Watch Homage and have come across the Lufbery (which is British, using a hand wound Seagull 3620 Movement and has an engraved tank on the back) or the Axiom (which is French and uses the Automatic SW 260-1with a display back).

The Lufbery launches on Kickstarter in April and can be got for £219; whereas the Axion is on Kickstarter at the moment and can be got for £340.

The Lufbery details are here http://https://lufberywatches.com/?f...mcYNqXGfH31Wp4

with a Video here

Details of the Axiom are here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-axiom-watches

Both have had previously successful Kickstarter campaigns.

So my questions - 1) does anybody have experience of one or both of these companies products? 2) Which one would you chose and why?

I'd say stay away from the Seagull as they can be hit and miss. The Axiom is a very thick watch, practically a toy...

Have you looked into the Oris 1917?
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/or...-1917-hands-on

There is also the Hamilton Navy Pioneer with central and small seconds. And from where we stand, the Smiths PRS-36 is very much a trench style watch (check the profile).

Have you considered the current range of Mappin & Webb campaign watches? I have this one and it’s a great tribute to their original campaign pieces. Also now reduced to £570 which, considering the level of finishing, is a great price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Wow - some excellent alternatives.

@abraxas - I share your concerns regarding the Seagull movement. I'm sure many are fine - but I also understand that some maybe not so good.

I think the Oris 1917 is great but at the moment its £1,750 to £1,950 - so is significantly more expensive - although I do love the fact that they've kept the little button you have to press to set the time.

The Hamilton is a nice watch (although of the 2 I prefer the Oris) but again is just under £1k so again significantly more expensive then either of the 2 I identified.

The Smiths is an excellent watch - and I do so want to get one of those at some point in time; but to me I see it more as an Art Deco dress watch rather than a Trench/WW1 homage

Danstone - I think that Mappin & Webb is really classy. I saw it was originally £1,500, then £1,000 - so the fact that you can get it for £570, is very good value for money - and had I not already ordered one of the ones I identified I would seriously be considering that.

However, in the end ordered the Axiom for 3 main reasons (at least over the Lufbery):

1) It has the Sellita SW 260-1 movement v Seagull; Display back; 200m water resistance and screw in crown;

2) They obviously spent a lot of time on the details - such as the seconds hands and I love the way that its also set-down a bit; and the use of a 14mm strap and bund; and

3) Taking an overall look at the 2, I just get that feeling the Axiom looks a quality piece, whereas, although I like the Lufbery, it looks more like its made too a price. (However, I ended up paying £380 for the Axiom - so the Lufbery is significantly cheaper - and I'm sure if anyone buys it, it will be a great watch).
    Last edited by KAS118; 14th February 2019 at 20:42.

Enjoy the Axiom and don't forget to post pictures when you get it.

Blog Entries
    I think Ingersoll do some trench type watches with miyota movement.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 14th February 2019 at 22:00.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    I think Ingersoll do some trench type watches with miyota movement.

Yeah - I think you mean this one https://www.ingersoll1892.com/the-tr...tz-i03201.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    I was , thanks your right, although I recall seeing a similar cased one with an aged patina and rustic look. Its this one

Last edited by bond; 14th February 2019 at 22:01.

The Ingersoll is quartz.

Master
    I've had half an eye on these for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Have you considered the current range of Mappin & Webb campaign watches? I have this one and it’s a great tribute to their original campaign pieces. Also now reduced to £570 which, considering the level of finishing, is a great price.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post

I like the look of this if you are looking for a modern version of the original style trench watch as also many original ones can be quite small by modern standards.

That being said they are still easy enough to find and once restored you have a lovely vintage mechanical watch for probably the price of the below mentioned quartz.