closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Omega 2254 help, what year was the globe introduced on the case back?

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    derbyshire.
    Posts
    788

    Omega 2254 help, what year was the globe introduced on the case back?

    I'm looking into getting a 2254 again, been to look at one today (not via here I hasten to add), it's a 2007 model according to the warranty cards (and original receipt).

    Now it all looks spot on other than the caseback doesn't have the globe etched on it? Is this an issue?
    I seem to remember my last one did which was around the same age, but my previous one to that which was an '04 I think, didn't have it...

    Anyone know what year it was introduced? I assume even if it was before 2007 this could of sat around for a while before it was actually sold?

    Cheers.

  2. #2
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    16,806
    I think it was around 2005/6. I have a 2003 that doesn`t have it. If everything else is in order I wouldn't worry.

    There are discrepancies between markings on earlier and later bracelets too. I had two Bond bracelets, both genuine, but the Omega markings on the clasp were significantly different. I guess two suppliers were used, or maybe they changed for no good reason?

    If this was Rolex a book would've been written by now and the sages would be stroking their beards whilst expounding their extensive knowledge.

  3. #3
    I think globe started to appear on selected models as early as 2003 or 2004.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    There are discrepancies between markings on earlier and later bracelets too. I had two Bond bracelets, both genuine, but the Omega markings on the clasp were significantly different. I guess two suppliers were used, or maybe they changed for no good reason?

    If this was Rolex a book would've been written by now and the sages would be stroking their beards whilst expounding their extensive knowledge.

    Spot on :)

  4. #4
    Master DimGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    HELLAS
    Posts
    1,457
    i think it was a later date

    i purchased an Omega 2254.50 myself from an omega boutique back in 2005 and there is no globe on mine

    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think it was around 2005/6. I have a 2003 that doesn`t have it. If everything else is in order I wouldn't worry.

    There are discrepancies between markings on earlier and later bracelets too. I had two Bond bracelets, both genuine, but the Omega markings on the clasp were significantly different. I guess two suppliers were used, or maybe they changed for no good reason?

    If this was Rolex a book would've been written by now and the sages would be stroking their beards whilst expounding their extensive knowledge.

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    derbyshire.
    Posts
    788
    Thanks for the help all.
    I was guessing it would be a bit of a grey area, I wouldn't let it put me off buying that one now.

    Anyway, looks like I'm sorted with a slightly older but excellent condition one from a kind member on here.

    Looking forward to having a 2254 back in the collection!
    It was my first 'proper' modern Swiss watch I owned a few years back, hopefully I won't let this one go.
    They just look so much more 'right' than the new Seamsters and I was really struggling to find a black faced diver that I like more than the 2254 at the minute (other than an older sub, but that's another story).

  6. #6
    Craftsman WillHarris2306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    423
    I love my 2254 and it's the longest standing part of my little collection and it's not going anywhere. Nuts to think that these were around 1400 new back in the day.

  7. #7
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    16,806
    Quote Originally Posted by j4ckal View Post
    I was really struggling to find a black faced diver that I like more than the 2254
    There's a reason for that, the 2254 is the best looking black-faced diver on the Planet. I`m not a big dive watch fan, although I`ve owned a 2254 and a 16610 Sub in the past worked on several 2254s, but I firmly believe the Omega is the nicest. The relatively slim profile helps, it wears nicely on even a smaller wrist, it just looks 'right'. The only drawback is the Helium valve, that spoils the symmetry of the case a little, but I can forgive that. Even the date blends in nicely.

    The older SMPs were superb 'honest' watches, very reasonably priced back in their day, easy to work on, and very durable. The design has it's weaknesses, the bezel's not easy to grip and can stiffen up when dirt gets into the ratchet spring, and the refusal to supply bezel inserts separately has been frustrating, but overall I don`t think this model can be beaten. Personally I prefer the watch on a Bond bracelet, which I always find more comfortable, but that's simply my preference. Another minor niggle with theh 1610/930 bracelet is the half-link, which is actually bigger than half a full link. That's an advantage, because using two half-links allows the fit to be fine-tuned to suit everyone.....so why did Omega only supply ONE half-link? If anyone has trouble getting the bracelet to fit I suggest using an extra half-link, it worked for me. Unfortunately they're not cheap thesedays . My old 2254 is out there somewhere with two half-links.........gone but not forgotten!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •