closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eBay fraudster.....what can be done?

eBay fraudster.....what can be done?

My son is having a spot of bother on eBay and so I was wondering if anyone can offer some advise on the best way forward.

My son sold 4 brand new ( still in sealed packs ) genuine Audi S3 exhaust tailpipe bezels.
    The buyer disappeared off the face of planet but eventually after a week and numerous messages he paid for them.
    The lad boxed them up and sent them by recordered delivery- keeping the proof of postage slip which showed weight etc.
    The buyer signed for them and the next day asked my son to leave positive feedback for him. About an hour later he had received another message saying there was only 3 bezels in the box not 4 and they were damaged and clearly used as they were covered in exhaust soot and asking for a return and refund which my son has not agreed to.
    The lad replied stating that was impossible as his units were brand new etc and still in the packing. He returned them today and quite clearly they are not the components my son sent him.
    For a start they have differemt part numbers and date stamps and are clearly off of another car. There is no doubt about it but the guy is pulling a fast one.
    Hes requested a refund and my lads dug his heels in. He's contacted eBay supplied them with evidence that he's done nothing wrong but I get the feeling they'll side with the buyer.
    Hes sent them pictures, the original postal receipt showing weight which doesn't tie in with only being 3 in the box. The chap sent them back in the same box and his package was a lot less weight.
    Ive heard stories of eBay siding with the buyer in most cases but is there really anything else my lad can do? Makes my piss boil to think theres pleole out there are pull stunts like this.
    FFF
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 13th February 2019 at 00:34.

Apprentice

Ebay

This happens so often on Ebay and they do tend to side with the buyer, what your son could do is tell the buyer that you have gone to the police with the photos and say you are asking them to open a fraud case, which just might make him think twice( not sure if the police would be interested but worth a try)

One thing I can say is that in situations like this eBay can look to see if something similar has happened before with the same buyer and if so, there's a good chance that they will support the seller.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman
    How do eBay enforce the repayment ? If you already have the payment and refuse the money to send back what do they do ?
    I stopped using eBay a long time ago as I found them to be quite crap at dealing with anything after the transaction had taken place.

Journeyman
    This happened to me when I used to sell on ebay. I had sold 4 DS' to different buyers at one time and shipped them all out on the same day. They weighed within a few grams of each other. One of the buyers claimed that the DS was missing from her package., I knew she was trying to pull a fast one so just responded that someone at RM must've stolen it from the package - citing the postage weight etc. I said that I was going to contact the police and if she could co-operate when they contact her. She soon fessed up and said her daughter had taken it from the box without her permission!! I stopped selling on ebay soon after due to the hassle and their policies generally favouring the buyer.

Blog Entries
    I once brought a watch from Canada…. All that turned up was the box…. It was quite evident that the package had been interfered with and all I received was a box…

Postal services can be imperfect

Someone on a Canadian watch forum could be telling a similar story…

Your son has been didled…. Probably not a lot you can do?

I’ve sold loads of things on eBay…. I’ve had the odd hiccup, but, occasionally in life we bump into idiots!
    Last edited by Wolfie; 13th February 2019 at 01:39.

Mention the reporting to the police and that should hopefully open the buyers eyes?

Thanks for all the replies.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Are these heavy things. Surely the postage will be different weights if you sent 4 and the buyer returned 3. EBay will refund the buyer but as long as your son has a some evidence he will get his money back too.

The ones I've struggled with is when the item is damaged and they message months later saying it was damaged in transit but they've just got round to checking. EBay cover to 6 months try finding a courier who will go back to back with that!

With the evidence that your lad has, eBay will probably side with him. Phone eBay and speak to someone, they seem to be more even handed that way.
    Get your don to open the dispute too.

I sold an item last year which was collection only. The buyer sent a courier for it and it arrived damaged. She then tried to claim it wasn’t as described and wanted her money back. I contacted eBay (got them to phone back) and explained the situation. They also looked at all the correspondence and photos before siding with me.

Send them photos of what was sent, what was returned, part numbers etc and he should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    With the evidence that your lad has, eBay will probably side with him. Phone eBay and speak to someone, they seem to be more even handed that way.
    Get your don to open the dispute too.

I sold an item last year which was collection only. The buyer sent a courier for it and it arrived damaged. She then tried to claim it wasn’t as described and wanted her money back. I contacted eBay (got them to phone back) and explained the situation. They also looked at all the correspondence and photos before siding with me.

Send them photos of what was sent, what was returned, part numbers etc and he should be ok.
    Definitely do this, calling and speaking to someone direct is always the best way, it personalises the whole issue. Take time to explain the situation, they are usually pretty good, but agree with most, eBay to buy stuff nowadays not sell. And if I really have to sell, I document everything, and I mean everything, only sending Royal Mail special delivery. Even then I still get my fingers burnt from time to time!

Master
    Hes got his address hasn't he? if its for a lot of money i know what id be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Hes got his address hasn't he? if its for a lot of money i know what id be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post

Not sure he'll be using that quote again ......

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post

Definitely call eBay and speak to one of the “uk type” sites - not the foreign remote workers

Then you can have a proper chat and all can be understood

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post

If the OP was to bung the postcode on here - perhaps someone local to there could PM him with the offer to go round and take a photo of the car in question? There’s a good chance it is sitting there with brand new exhaust trims.

Get that, including the number plate, house - and I’m sure Ebay would be more likely to side with the seller?

Master
    You've got a good case with the weights being different and the serial numbers being different etc. As suggested ring eBay and speak to a person then follow up with all the evidence. They will side with your son in this case as long as he can provide back up to his side of the argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Another good type for future reference is to video you packing the good on a time lapse. The eBay team suggested that to me a couple of years ago when I had a similar issue.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    If the OP was to bung the postcode on here - perhaps someone local to there could PM him with the offer to go round and take a photo of the car in question? There’s a good chance it is sitting there with brand new exhaust trims.

Get that, including the number plate, house - and I’m sure Ebay would be more likely to side with the seller?
    I like it .OP what do You think?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Off topic, sorry & hope your son gets favour in his decision, disgusting behaviour from the buyer.

But that quote, genuine lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

I like this idea

Grand Master
    A good trick is to mark parts somewhere, a small inscription tgat the buyer doesn’t know about will prevent the scam of returning a different item. Keep a photo of the mark to help in a dispute. Not feasible when an item is in original packaging but it works for second hand items and watches too!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A good trick is to mark parts somewhere, a small inscription tgat the buyer doesn’t know about will prevent the scam of returning a different item. Keep a photo of the mark to help in a dispute. Not feasible when an item is in original packaging but it works for second hand items and watches too!
    Not sold on eBay for ages but I used to uv mark items and also write the serial/model numbers in any comms and uploaded high quality pics to Dropbox and link to it when send g a message to say I’ve posted the item.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    How will that help? Mark an item and send another - no evidence either way.

Craftsman
    Definitely call eBay and explain what's going on.

I had a similar situation in the past when a buyer was trying to claim that he'd returned an item. I had specifically asked for it to be returned via recorded post and nothing had arrived after a week and the buyer failed to give me a tracking number. I explained this to eBay and then a couple of days later my item arrived. Buyer clearly hadn't returned the item and was trying to claim it had been sent and lost in transit, whilst keeping the item. I blocked the buyer once I had my item back.

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    I like it .OP what do You think?
    Yeh ok I'll ask the boy and see what he says

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How will that help? Mark an item and send another - no evidence either way.
    It helps as I also take pics of the item under ultraviolet, then can take similar if the returned item is not the same and present that to Ebay. I obviously don’t tell the buyer that I’ve marked the item?

Well the scroat has got away with it and eBay are refunding him the money.
    Thankfully it appears that no money will be pulled back from my son.
    Boils my piss that it's that easy to get away with

Where is Soundood and his special set of skills when you need them...?

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    It helps as I also take pics of the item under ultraviolet, then can take similar if the returned item is not the same and present that to Ebay. I obviously don’t tell the buyer that I’ve marked the item?
    But you could take pictures, and then send something totally different. Doesn't seem proof of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    But you could take pictures, and then send something totally different. Doesn't seem proof of anything.
    It’s not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It’s not.
    Indeed, no different to when you read about people you take a video of you putting together and sealing a package etc. I can take photos of a UV marker on a watch, post off a fake, and then claim the initial photos mean the buyer is scamming you by returning a fake. Means nothing.

Craftsman
    One of the reasons I no longer sell on eBay. Hope it all works out.

Master
    Oh this stinks. Feel bad for your son (even if they don't claw the money back from him).

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Indeed, no different to when you read about people you take a video of you putting together and sealing a package etc. I can take photos of a UV marker on a watch, post off a fake, and then claim the initial photos mean the buyer is scamming you by returning a fake. Means nothing.
    What if the uv markings were between the lugs covering the serial number? Would that work?

My son sold a golf club on Ebay recently, the buyer claimed that it arrived broken in half and had a picture of an identical club in two pieces, the packaging wasn't damaged, it was packed in a very strong cardboard tube, Ebay sided with the buyer.

eBay fraudster.....what can be done?

What eBay need to start doing is banning these buyers. You can bet this isn’t the first time this buyer has done it. I’ve had this multiple times, sold some uggs, buyer claimed I’d sent the wrong colour? Real reason she didn’t like them. eBay refunded her and me. Sold a new devialet (£699) sound bar, buyer kept a month, left pos feedback, then said he had lip sync issues when using digbox. I explained it was a compatibility issue and needed to update his firmware, the sound bar was working fine. Got returned, unit was scratched up, box torn etc.. eBay refunded him and me.

The list goes on, but what seems to becoming more common is where the claim is genuine from the seller ebay refund both parties, which is a step forward (plus don’t forget they’re making a shit load of profit of us).

Main problem is buyers or onto this now and exploiting the system. eBay won’t like loosing money, so my hope is they will start banning these buyers for life!

Be good to share his eBay id though

Master
    Don't know what sums were involved but I'd make a claim against them as a matter on principle:

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-...ney/court-fees

If less than £300, costs £25 to do online. Best case you get the money back and the fee. Worst case, buyer gets some grief.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Don't know what sums were involved but I'd make a claim against them as a matter on principle:

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-...ney/court-fees

If less than £300, costs £25 to do online. Best case you get the money back and the fee. Worst case, buyer gets some grief.
    I agree.Im pissed off for the OPs son.I still think find out we’re scrote lives and see if a forum member Could discreetly take a photo of His car!!

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    I agree.Im pissed off for the OPs son.I still think find out we’re scrote lives and see if a forum member Could discreetly take a photo of His car!!
    I agree, plus he’s already been refunded as well

Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    One of the reasons I no longer sell on eBay. Hope it all works out.
    I wonder how long eBay has got left until it either closes or has to become something else? I know so many people who won't use it to sell...I guess they still buy...I certainly won't sell on there anymore as it is a shark pool. I've heard this type of scam story so often, it just isn't worth the bother.

Buying is also not that simple. I just made a best offer on a network switch, the offer was accepted so no last minute shill bidding and after waiting over a week the seller just cancelled with not even a reason given.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrennie View Post
    I wonder how long eBay has got left until it either closes or has to become something else? I know so many people who won't use it to sell...I guess they still buy...I certainly won't sell on there anymore as it is a shark pool. I've heard this type of scam story so often, it just isn't worth the bother.
    Don’t think they’re too worried ...

“Last year the company generated $8.5 billion in the United States, $9.4 billion elsewhere. eBay’s second-largest market is the United Kingdom, where revenues topped $2.6 billion last year. That’s followed by Germany at $2.1 billion.}

Rather than create a new eBay problem thread I thought I’d post this here.

I bought a Lego Porsche kit for £99 buy it now.
    Price was below the shops/Amazon but not crazily cheap.
    Seller had 100% feedback so I thought all would be well.....
    Three weeks later I still don’t have the item and the seller has disappeared off the face of the earth, he won’t respond to emails that I’ve sent.He has marked the item as dispatched and given me a RM tracking number that corresponds to a parcel that was delivered a month before the auction??...
    I’ve opened a request with eBay for a refund and have to wait until 08/04/19 to give the seller time to respond before eBay “step in”
    The seller has since changed his seller name and made his feedback private ( his negative feedbacks are growing by the day as he’s obviously done the same thing to many other buyers).
    Now I’m not worried about getting a refund as he’s obviously not going to supply the item but am just curious as to why you would do what he’s done? He can’t think that by changing his seller name that he’d just disappear and avoid having to give refunds....
    Genuinely confused....!
    After eighteen years on eBay this is the first time this has happened so I guess I’ve just been lucky.

Don't try to over-think it,
    1) You've reported it to ebay.
    2) Gather information and email the seller.
    3) Leave shite feedback.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Pay day loan?

Blog Entries
    Honestly, the huge number of thieving deceitful arseholes on eBay these days is shocking! Although I buy small stuff from eBay, it has been ten years since I sold on there.

Quote Originally Posted by andymonkey View Post
    Genuinely confused....!
    After eighteen years on eBay this is the first time this has happened so I guess I’ve just been lucky.
    Could be a hacked account. Using the good feedback prior to that point to get confidence off buyers.... and having a selling spree before the account gets locked down. Happened to me once. The seller made around £25k in one weekend!

If you used PayPal, you'll be fine. Just have to wait for the deadline to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Could be a hacked account. Using the good feedback prior to that point to get confidence off buyers.... and having a selling spree before the account gets locked down. Happened to me once. The seller made around £25k in one weekend!

If you used PayPal, you'll be fine. Just have to wait for the deadline to pass.
    Thanks for the reply. That seems the most plausible explanation. I did indeed use PayPal so it’ll all get sorted in the end

I had something similar a few months ago. Was buying a POE switch, made an offer which was accepted, paid via PayPal and then heard nothing. I waited a week and then put in a claim and the seller refunded me ?

Did seem pretty strange, the seller made no contact at all and left me pretty annoyed.