closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MX-5 or Fiesta ST?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Ha! I wondered if someone would pick up on that!

Mine has an LSD actually so is fun in such conditions and all honesty I do indulge from time to time. But when dealing with the grind of a 35 mile each way daily commute, in the winter it's good to have the option.
    You didn't specify commute!
    You can live in your car but you can't drive your house.

Master
    I've had some form of Mx-5 on the driveway for 15yrs.
    I'd go RWD!

Master
    Never had an MX5 (it's been on the bucket list for a while) but I did own a MK7 Fiesta ST for a couple of years and thought it was tremendous. I only sold it because I live in the West Midlands and it seems they're extremely desirable with the scum.. and after two years they put the windows through and tried to rob it (unsuccessfully, thankfully) - I fixed it , and sold it soon after.

But the car was superb. Really torquey motor, superb road manners (albeit a bit firm!), good tech / gadgets in the ST-3, and plenty of scope for tuning too if the standard figures aren't enough. If I was going to move out to a place a bit more isolated I'd probably have another one in a heartbeat.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I did some development driving for the Jota MX5, it took a lot of changes to make it a sports car.
    Please give yoúr definition of ´sports car´.

In mine feature weight, width and weight, width; nimble, agile, way above the on the public road almost entirely academic power, acceleation times, top speed.

Congratulations Velorum!!!!

p.s. I went with the left wing suggestions from this very same forum and found a nice MR2 mk3: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...6-Which-cabrio
    Those are cheaper in the UK than MX5 and have less rust issues.
    On the down side it is more to the extreme; the MX is way more sedate and forgiving plus has sóme luggage space.
    On the latter; dropped a gf off at the airport this morning; although she travels a-typically light ánd offered to keep a suitcase in her lap, had to borrow my son´s car.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 13th February 2019 at 18:48.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Please give yoúr definition of ´sports car´.

In mine feature weight, width and weight, width; nimble, agile, way above the almost on the public road entirely academic power, acceleation times, top speed.

Congratulations Velorum!!!!
    In the context of this discussion, this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izg55Fa_OHU

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

In the context of this discussion, this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izg55Fa_OHU
    Whilst I agree with the n.a. tuning to be still sort of practical, the lowering and widening is pushing it imo.

My point however remains: You wrote that it took serious effort to máke the MX5 a sports car, quite clearly implying that out of the box in your opinion it is not.

Fair enough; your opinion. In mine it is.

Like the MBF/TF would have been if they had not cut corners with parts and assenbly.
    Like the first Elise before they ´improved´ and spoiled it.
    The Fiat MX124 too is imo an example of ´improving´ it to death too; you pay through the nose for a less well balanced car. The roll back roof Abarth ´500´is more fun imo in spite of being wrong wheel drive.

Anyway, differences is taste, opinions are the reason why we háve the choice: Hail the differences of opinion!

I would stil look at a Mini. Fun cars and the newer models seem more reliable

I must admit a can’t really get my head around a 2 seater car the more I think about it. As a summer toy, if I had a few cars in the garage, fine - but I often find myself picking up one of my sons ‘unexpectedly’ and the boot and interior space of the MX-5 look silly small. Still need to drive one to make sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    I would stil look at a Mini. Fun cars and the newer models seem more reliable
    And they have back seats for short journeys! - I must admit I can’t stand all the stripes, union jacks and funny colours, and I’m not overly fussed on all the fancy and apparently expensive extras. I have always thought they’re a bit girly but a standard Cooper in a solid colour might be ok. I’m not really bothered by some people thinking a car is a bit ‘girly’ tbh but the Mini can look too much like a shiny toy with all the options. Saw a video of the new soft top with a Union Jack emblazoned across it, looks awful imho

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I must admit a can’t really get my head around a 2 seater car the more I think about it. As a summer toy, if I had a few cars in the garage, fine - but I often find myself picking up one of my sons ‘unexpectedly’ and the boot and interior space of the MX-5 look silly small. Still need to drive one to make sure!
    In that case it sounds like you need something like an XC60.
    You can live in your car but you can't drive your house.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Yup, incl. back seats et al.

On a more serious note; the gf observed that with a boot lid rack I coúld take a suitcase.
    Yes, I could I responded; makes for a neat present then no?!
    I hope not as I am finding the absence of luggage space a wonderful hedonistic thing.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 13th February 2019 at 23:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I see what you did there! Hmm, so I keep practical with the Volvo, go mad with a Mazda. As an aside I just put 7 litres of screenwash into the XC60 and it still isn’t full. What’s that all about, are the roads super grimy in Sweden?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I see what you did there! Hmm, so I keep practical with the Volvo, go mad with a Mazda. As an aside I just put 7 litres of screenwash into the XC60 and it still isn’t full. What’s that all about, are the roads super grimy in Sweden?

Coincidentally, I owned an XC60 when I bought my MX5. The plan was to scratch the desire for a fun car itch while retaining the practical family car. Didn't quite pan out like that in the end...

Blog Entries
    I have had the opportunity to play in some proper sports cars but for shear fun I thing a modern mini JCW takes some beating.
    Or an old one

Craftsman
    How about an Audi S1, 4wd perfect for a bit of rural driving summer or winter lovely little sleeper car

If you are thinking along the lines of the previous generation ST, I’d get a Mini instead.

My current daily is a ND MX5 2.0 Sport Nav and my wife’s car is the F56 Copper Works 210.

When considering these I drove the ST, GT86 and the MX5 and Mini won hands down for fun.