closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum cleaner recommendation

Craftsman

Vacuum cleaner recommendation

We've got a simple VAX cylinder vacuum cleaner and it was good for the purpose, but recently I'm spending more time cleaning it than actually using it...
    My gf has long hair and they're always stuck in the nozzle/brush, not mentioning the wound up pieces on the caster, so I think it's time for an upgrade.
    Dyson's are popular, but are they really good? If yes, which version? Or it's just marketing and there are better for the price.

Thanks

Master
    I can almost feel the collective head shaking going on from reading this thread.

We have a Dyson, has a big ball instead of wheels. It works well enough, picks up stuff from the floor.

My wife always goes on about the G-Tech on the adverts but they're not cheap

Master
    I've had a Sebo for the last few years following recommendations on here.
    Easily the best vacuum I've had.

Just shave your wife's hair one night while she's asleep. She'll thank you for it.
    "A man of little significance"

I have always been slightly disappointed by Dyson vacuums and wouldn't recommend them (unless you're looking for a little handheld thing that you use for small spot cleaning). Otherwise I'd recommend a Harry or a Miele.

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    Always a subjective topic , but for my money it's very hard to beat German engineering on these things. I'm not knocking dyson but for my money the best all around cleaning upright is the Sebo . Yes it still has a bag, but the versatility and easy breakdown of the unit into component parts for blockages and cleaning of the unit along with the well thought out simple design features all add up to a very practical cleaner. Cleaning performance is top draw and German build quality and spare availability all add to the package . I have two units myself one of which is 20 years old and still going strong.

We've had many over the years and gave in to the "get a Dyson.. nothing beats them" recommendations from family. I managed to kill it shortly after the warranty expired! Weighed a ton and had that many pipes that my mistake of sucking up plaster dust was terminal. The cyclone pipes have the equivalent of furred up arteries now. Its in the garage with little or no suction. I suppose a full strip down and wash might sort it, which I'll do some day. It can be used to clean the cars out thereafter.

My builder at the time told me to go buy a Henry. We've never looked back. Just over £100. Lifts EVERYTHING with ease and merrily rolls along behind you. I know bagless is all the rage now - but the bags are massive and cheap to buy. I don't fear lifting all sorts now.. whereas an expensive Dyson is a lot of money to break!

Craftsman
    Thanks for confirming my fears about Dyson.
    So Sabo, Miele and Henry so far. Upright or cylinder? You've never had long hair stuck on the brush or on the wheels with these?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was sceptical in the past on Dyson but the handheld rechargeable Dyson V6 Total Clean I bought in preparation for my newly born son is amazing.

If you have a very big house it might struggle, but I can clean a 3 bed with mixed flooring before it runs out

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    We've had many over the years and gave in to the "get a Dyson.. nothing beats them" recommendations from family. I managed to kill it shortly after the warranty expired! Weighed a ton and had that many pipes that my mistake of sucking up plaster dust was terminal. The cyclone pipes have the equivalent of furred up arteries now. Its in the garage with little or no suction. I suppose a full strip down and wash might sort it, which I'll do some day. It can be used to clean the cars out thereafter.

My builder at the time told me to go buy a Henry. We've never looked back. Just over £100. Lifts EVERYTHING with ease and merrily rolls along behind you. I know bagless is all the rage now - but the bags are massive and cheap to buy. I don't fear lifting all sorts now.. whereas an expensive Dyson is a lot of money to break!
    Another vote for the Numatic range here. We have Hetty and John (the limited edition to celebrate 150 years of John Lewis, and handily my name). Both very good and with the Aero Brush attachment are quite capable on hard floor and carpet. They really are built like tanks and I like the fact they are made here in the UK, unlike some other brands which flaunt their British 'heritage'.

Master
    Henry. End of.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    I was sceptical in the past on Dyson but the handheld rechargeable Dyson V6 Total Clean I bought in preparation for my newly born son is amazing.

If you have a very big house it might struggle, but I can clean a 3 bed with mixed flooring before it runs out
    We have just a small flat and I was considering particularly this one. How is it with long hair?

Sebo all day long, so far ours is 12 years old and no hiccups.

Another vote for Sebo

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Another vote for the Numatic range here. We have Hetty and John (the limited edition to celebrate 150 years of John Lewis, and handily my name). Both very good and with the Aero Brush attachment are quite capable on hard floor and carpet. They really are built like tanks and I like the fact they are made here in the UK, unlike some other brands which flaunt their British 'heritage'.
    This ^

Another +1 for Henry. We've had one for donkey's years and it's virtually indestructible. I don't think it's ever been cleaned...

We had a Henry for several years but it's recently been demoted (promoted?) to car vac.

Wife bought a Shark and loves it.

and another for the Henry. classic, cheap and excellent

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    We have just a small flat and I was considering particularly this one. How is it with long hair?
    Fine depending on the attachment. The carpet head is a powered brush so has the usual issue with long hair though is truly amazing at cleaning short pile carpets - the first clean of the hall rug my previous vacuum thought was clean filled up the Dyson and needed emptying. Having said this it seems easier to detangle than other powered heads I've used. The other attachments don't have hair issues.

I have the Henry at my business office however and can vouch for it if you want "bulletproof" and don't mind trailing a cord around. For me cordless was definitely worth the compromise. It's so easy just to lift the V6 off the wall to do spot cleaning of house or car so I don't regret the purchase.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Weve had our dyson for around 6 years and its been great. Ive used quite a few hoovers and none have been better.

Recently bought the dyson V8 animal. Its so handy to just grab and clean and its suction is awesome for a battery hoover. We now use this down stairs (all hard floors) and the old dyson upstairs.

Master
    Sebo upright for upstairs (carpets)
    Miele cylinder for downstairs (laminate)
    Henry for garage/cars/DiY and the driveway (I kid you not!)

Wouldn't take a Dyson if you paid me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    Sebo here too... brilliant cleaner.

Master
    Had a Dyson which fell to bits just after the warranty had expired. Purchased a Henry, must be more than ten years ago now, and never needed any more. Henry is cheap and manufactured in the UK too which is a nice bonus.

Master
    Big Dyson fan here, our DC 025 is about 5 years old and has been brilliant.

Bought a V6 recently for small jobs, stairs and car cleaning which is equally as good.

Craftsman
    Miele here, had one for about 10 years really powerful little sucker.......

We have a Miele, Henry and Dyson. The Dyson is a "last resort" and only gets used in the garage. The Miele and Henry are equally good but the Henry is half the price. I also vowed never to buy another Miele product after experiencing their customer service with an induction hob just before Christmas.

Send here too. Tried most of the others and these are hands down the best.

Craftsman
    Does the Henry or Sabo have tangle free tool? My main problem is not the cleaning, but cutting the hair from the wheels and taking the fluffy parts out of the brush manually. Also that switch on the top of the tool (hard floors/carpets) is useless.

Miele, you will die before it does

Master
    Easiest answer ever, Miele head and shoulders above the rest.

Always been happy with the Sebo upright. Recently bought a Shark True Pet for chasing after the dog. Equally impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Sebo upright for upstairs (carpets)
    Miele cylinder for downstairs (laminate)
    Henry for garage/cars/DiY and the driveway (I kid you not!)

Wouldn't take a Dyson if you paid me.
    Do you have a box of boot covers for visitors at the end of your drive?

I'm on my 3rd Dyson and I'll never have another one again, I've noticed a drop in quality and the plastics seem very brittle.

Had a Miele for sometime now. 10 year warranty, almost silent, picks up pet hair really well and Made in Germany. Better than a Dyson in every single way, which are noisy, over-priced rubbish.

We have a Sebo X4 upright: had it for years and it's awesome. We also have a Bosch Animal cylinder I think it's basically a Miele as Bosch, Neff & Miele were all part of the same company. That seems good but I think the Sebo is better.

I had several Dysons (or 'die-soon' would have been a more appropriate name), hateful useless crap; never again.

Sebo all the way, even if my house collapsed I reckon it'd still be intact.

Be careful if you go for a Miele, I believe there are two lines - some Chinese made others German made. We got a new Miele around 4 yrs ago, its Chinese made and a POS compared to our first which did nearly 20 yrs faultless service.

Had four or five Dysons and finally realised that they are overrated and don't last long around our house.

Went to a Sebo and found it excellent, (rather like an old fashioned Electrolux).

A lot of people have mentioned NuMatic Henry's etc and they are indeed brilliant, the wife has an office cleaning firm and owns loads with nary a problem but much prefers an upright (oo-er missus) around the house.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Do you have a box of boot covers for visitors at the end of your drive?

I'm on my 3rd Dyson and I'll never have another one again, I've noticed a drop in quality and the plastics seem very brittle.
    The Henry is great for getting up the needles from next doors conifers. Not so easy with a broom cause they stick between the rough surface of the ancient tarmac.

The problem with Dyson is every women seems to think owning one means you've moved into an upper social strata. Blokes hate them 'cause they're expensive, very noisy, break down a lot.

Master
    Miele - even the basic ones are excellent.

If you look on Amazon, there seems to be some sort of variable pricing going on which can occasionally throw up some excellent price reductions on Miele.

Hand held V8 is what we have. This new model has 40mins power, more than enough for the wife to whizz round the house.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    The Henry is great for getting up the needles from next doors conifers. Not so easy with a broom cause they stick between the rough surface of the ancient tarmac.

The problem with Dyson is every women seems to think owning one means you've moved into an upper social strata. Blokes hate them 'cause they're expensive, very noisy, break down a lot.
    I'd get a blower and blow the needles back over to the neighbours. Agree with you about the dyson, even our dog hates it but that might just be a dog / hoover thing in general.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Meile are the best and last for ever
    I can attest to this too.

Our builders used ours for a few months, sucking up wood shavings, plaster, dust, concrete chippings etc etc

Still going two years later.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    Always been happy with the Sebo upright. Recently bought a Shark True Pet for chasing after the dog. Equally impressed.
    You've got the smaller (NV320) or the bigger (NV680) Shark? Is it as good as the Sebo? How is it with long hair?

I've owned Dyson, Miele and Henry and would buy a Henry every time.

The Miele suffered loss of suction if the bag (tiny!) had anything in it.

The Dyson was a pain to empty and clean.

The Henry is perfect - MASSIVE bag, huge suction and just works. We've had ours for 9 years now.

Cheers,

Mark C

Master
    Hire a naked cleaner from Peterborough, then sit back and relax 👍

If interested I know of a lightly used Sebo upright for sale

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Big Dyson fan here, our DC 025 is about 5 years old and has been brilliant.

Bought a V6 recently for small jobs, stairs and car cleaning which is equally as good.

Never had a problem with Dyson.
    Got V6 absolute & kinetic cylinder at present, in the garage have one that is at least 12 years old & still going strong.

Henry. All day.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    Me too!

Journeyman
    We have a Henry and I don't think there is much out there that can do a better job. Yes it is bulky but it sucks like a champ!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Another vote here for Henry, after also owning a Dyson.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.