closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Frying Pans

Frying Pans

Decided I need a new one, and despite the dangers of Mumsnet comments, I thought I would ask if anyone has any experiences of decent quality ones.

A quick google came back with choices up to £4500 !!!

Jon

I’ve had pretty good value from Dunelm own brand non stick ones , work with induction jobs too.

I found the Jamie Oliver brand really good for around £50 from JL.

The last two I've purchased (large and small) were ceramic coated from Amazon and are excellent. THIS was one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    Decided I need a new one, and despite the dangers of Mumsnet comments, I thought I would ask if anyone has any experiences of decent quality ones.

Jon
    Copper bottomed non-stick in our house.

Can’t speak for huge longevity as only had the main one about 4 years. With a 3 and 6 year old in the house, most breakfasts are eggs in some way and GF pancakes every other weekend. No grumbles from me, even heat, great non stick and reassuringly heavy.

Edited to add - similar ceramic coating to Skiers link above but orange/reddish and copper bottomed, in fact found one HERE
    Last edited by Paddy!; 11th February 2019 at 21:35.

We have Circulon and Green Pan. Both are very good (by which I mean I don't actually fry with any added oil).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Good results and performance from one end of the price range to the other (well, not exactly £4k).

Cheap cast pan from Aldi, white interior, been superb. Not stained, no sticking, nothing, good quality, low price.

Expensive Le Creuset omelette pan, standard grey non-stick interior. Behaves impeccably (as it should for the price).

Go to your nearest catering supplies shop. Failing which most towns of any size have at least one Asian grocer where the same thing is usually stocked.

Look for black iron caterers’ pans. Totally functional and unfancy, they come in all sizes from little egg pans to whoppers suitable for making paella for a party and everything in between. The handles are steel and indestructible, so they can be shoved into the oven with impunity. No coatings or enamel to chip off. These are pans for life. And not expensive.

The next thing you need to do is learn to season them properly for which there are several methods, all of which will probably set off the smoke detector in your kitchen. Seasoning begins to form a natural black non-stick coating which develops and improves with use.

You’ll soon learn the cleaning regime (no dishwater, avoid washing up liquid or use minimally, plenty of running hot water then dry on the hob and wipe over with a little oil. Very satisfying to use. Did I mention they last a lifetime?

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post

Jon
    Costco do some great pans, US made ones, very reasonably priced as well. Got 2, over a year old and holding up well.

Also purchased one from a catering company made by BOURGEAT, had it 5 years still going strong, solidly made.

Had some Henkels costing £150+ each, were absolute garbage, ended up binning them. Looked awesome, but everything stuck to them!

Master
    I recently bought a pair of these

https://www.greenpan.co.uk/products/...ick-frying-pan

and so far am very happy with them. They are the mid range offered by Green Pan so you can have cheaper, or more expensive (the stainless model, don't think they do two tone).

They replaced a 20 year old Tefal which probably should have been replaced a long time ago.

Journeyman
    I have a few Lodge cast iron frying pans and they are great. As long as you season them properly and take care of them then they will last a lifetime. They are heavy though so thats something to consider but once you get used to them using any other type of pan just isn't the same (imo).

Wow, was not expecting such a wealth of information. I had best start doing some research.

Jon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tramontina-.../dp/B01MSEFS5W

These are the ones in Costco, around £20 ish... IIRR

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got a few decent frying pans. Le Creuset mainly and also some copper ceramic things.
    However, my favourite is a cheapy I bought from Tesco whilst on holiday (the supplied one was crap). It's none stick, not to heavy and cost £8!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    We have Circulon and Green Pan. Both are very good (by which I mean I don't actually fry with any added oil).
    We have exactly the same and they are amazing. The Green Pan are 10 years old now and not a single mark on them. The Circulon is non stick the likes I have never come across. Am going to buy another set to stick in the loft for when I ever need to replace them.

Master
    Bought one of the recent ALDI special buys. No complaints but it was as cheap as chips, so nothing was to be lost.

The TKMaxx near me has a very large selection of frying pans. The two I've bought from them are good quality, non stick and wash easily. Cheap too.Perhaps there's one local to you.
    F.T.F.A.

Le cruset are mint if you want to cook steak ,but no chance of a fried egg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The TKMaxx near me has a very large selection of frying pans. The two I've bought from them are good quality, non stick and wash easily. Cheap too.Perhaps there's one local to you.
    Good comment as TKmax do some very decent quality pans at keen prices. I will consider any quality pans but I will not touch Tefal, the reason being that I think their quality has deteriorated shockingly in the last few years and I cannot be doing with pans that have the outside coating peeling off!

If you fancy heading upmarket, the Zhuo Zhan department store in Changchun, China do a nice pot and they will arrange for it to be delivered to you in a Rolls Royce and so they bloody well should at £380,000 for ONE pan and no, you do NOT get to keep the Roller!
    Last edited by KavKav; 12th February 2019 at 18:23.

De Buyer carbon steel - use it properly and it will last lifetime.

We use Meyer... German and excellent. Their customer service is top notch too.

I have a Le Creuset which isn't bad, one of those new-fangled copper-coated things which is rubbish and an old cast-iron one which has been properly seasoned and is the best.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I bought a set of Berghoff pans from the Ideal Home show a few years back and they are rather good particularly the griddle pan for steaks. For general frying I use a Jamie Oliver Tefal wok type pan.

Craftsman
    Seasoned cast iron, wash with hot water only and you will never have to buy another one

Ceramic is the way - take a look in TK Max - they have many top chef brands at knockdown prices

No waiting lists - and you can keep the cardboard packaging too!

Blog Entries
    Gas hob and cheap as chips Tesco non stick we use only Olive oil or Butter and never wash the pan just needs a wipe and clean with kitchen roll.

I've le creuset non stick pans and a couple of non stick frying pans from them as well and I'll not have them again (I think their cast iron and stainless ranges are probably better but again v expensive). The pans are delaminating on the edges and the non stick coating is coming away. Very expensive and not very impressive.

I've a couple of lodge cast iron pans which are very good for the money. After a lot of research I'm going to be getting these.

ProCook Elite Tri-Ply Saucepan Set 4 Piece | Professional Stainless Steel Set of Pans with Advanced 3-Layer Construction | Induction Pans Suitable for All Hobs https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WI1WK..._snPyCbVE44CKX

SCANPAN CTX 32 cm Frying Pan https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00323LX..._qqPyCbW1QGN67

SCANPAN CTX 20 cm Frying Pan https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00323RH..._NrPyCbZN5RKKR

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Master
    Proper cheap and more than cheerful. Very happy with it, and truly non-stick, I haven't needed to use any cooking oil since buying it
    https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-fr...lack/p/0221120

Solid cast iron.

Never clean with anything else but water.

After a few uses you will have built up a nice coating and it will be the best non-stick pan ever.

Our cast iron pans are so well passivated, I can fry an egg in them without any oil, and without them sticking.

Avoid non-stick pans. Full stop.

Master

I purchased two aluminium non-stick Le Creuset frying pans. They were crap from day one. Then I purchased a 28 cm Tefal aluminium non-stick frying pan which has been absolutely fantastic. I have just ordered and am awaiting delivery of two Tefal Ingenio frying pans with detachable handles and I hope these are as good as the Tefal pan I am using.

Circulon.

The end.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    I purchased two aluminium non-stick Le Creuset frying pans. They were crap from day one. Then I purchased a 28 cm Tefal aluminium non-stick frying pan which has been absolutely fantastic. .

Exact same experience here- very disappointed with the alu non-stick Le Creuset.

Now I pick up ones from TKMaxx for a fraction of the price which work better and last just as well!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Exact same experience here- very disappointed with the alu non-stick Le Creuset.

Now I pick up ones from TKMaxx for a fraction of the price which work better and last just as well!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Same here too - the standard stainless steel (pans and frying pans) are OK but not impressed with non stick. Regular seasoning helps but for the money I would expect better. The best non stick wok we have every had was less than a tenner from TK max

12 year old Circulon non stick here.
    Still as good as the day it was bought.
    No noticable signs of wear.
    As unsticky as ever.

I’ve tried a fair few but I keep going back to Tefal non-stick. Cheap as chips, cannot fault the cooking performance. My expensive Stella is relegated to the back of the pan drawer. Tefal for about £20, spend the rest on good Steak and thank me later ;-)

If you are going to buy a Lodge, buy a sander at the same. They can be rough on the inside.

I bought a set of Stellar 7000 pans. They came with lifetime warranty, something that I'm a sucker for. I'm very happy with them.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=subseastu;5022204]I've le creuset non stick pans and a couple of non stick frying pans from them as well and I'll not have them again (I think their cast iron and stainless ranges are probably better but again v expensive). The pans are delaminating on the edges and the non stick coating is coming away. Very expensive and not very impressive.

I bought le creuset pots & pans, alu pans and non stick frying pan very good but the alu frying pan was a big waste, my son cooked eggy bread 1st time of use and its never been clean since, scrubbed and bleached and still stained

Bought one of these 9 years ago, without doubt the best frying pan we have ever had.
    Nice high sides, heavy and non-stick surface still intact.
    https://www.pubshop.co.uk/catalogue/...le-p-8581.html
    Last edited by Crispin; 13th February 2019 at 20:48.

These look the business. They’re one piece, even the handle.

http://www.solidteknics.com
    https://uk.buymeonce.com/collections...q=solidteknics