closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can one reasonably live “off the grid”?

Master

Can one reasonably live “off the grid”?

I don’t want others knowing my business and I don’t want to be scammed or even bothered by spam. Is this possible without becoming a crofter or a monk? I’m not on Facebook or twitter so maybe that’s a start.

Lol....shouldnt you be sending this message by carrier pigeon?

There's a documentary on Netflix that might be useful. Manhunt.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Is your name Jason Bourne?

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    I don’t want others knowing my business and I don’t want to be scammed or even bothered by spam. Is this possible without becoming a crofter or a monk? I’m not on Facebook or twitter so maybe that’s a start.

As long as you only interact with people who don't own phones, do have any bank accounts and never go into any towns - you'll be fine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Is your name Jason Bourne?
    Don’t tell him, Pike! ;-)

Not a good idea to be posting messages on an on line forum perhaps?

Perhaps only use PAYG mobiles, do all your banking in person and have no electronic devices in your house. You could even construct a Faraday Cage in one of your bedroom for peace of mind at night.

Lining your bobble hat and underpants with baco-foil is possibly a step too far though - its noisy and very uncomfortable. I wont be doing that again, aliens or no aliens.
    Last edited by Velorum; 5th January 2019 at 16:00. Reason: The truth is out there

Journeyman
    I'm starting a group buy on bacofoil hats if any wants in

You've got no chance op, big brother is listening

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ring-a-tin-hat

Master
    Unless you eschew all modern devices then I would say no. Anything with GPS can track you unless you shut that off. Can you pay cash for everything? what about your family, can they do the same? Anything IT seems to have a mac address so you can be found. If you just want to go to work, pay your taxes then possibly. But everyone/everything seems to be moving to electronic id/log-in. The minute you go on a browser cookies get loaded so you would need to be diligent about deleting your history and using anti spyware (which updates via the web)
    Last edited by mrushton; 5th January 2019 at 17:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    It’s actually an interesting question.

I doubt it is possible to any sensible extent these days. The marketing companies already know far more about you than you would believe. Years ago, when I worked in the media, it was pretty gobsmacking, and that was before social media took off so I shudder to think what it’s reslly like behind the scenes now.

However, you can certainly minimise your digital footprint I’m sure.

Others will know better than me, but staying off social media has to be key.

Have at least two email addresses- one you use when signup for anything online, the other for any personal communications.

Never give permission for any data about you to be shared - and request you are taken off any mailing lists.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Tin foil hats, wind farms and solar panels.....

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I imagine it would be relatively easy in other countries. I’m fairly sure I could be fairly off grid in a few countries.

As I understand it’s probably easier to use an assumed identity though, which then removes the need to be totally off grid. Although you’d have to make sure that you didn’t contaminate your assumed identity with your real one.

Talking about Jason Bourne types, I have met someone with multiple passports in different names - they never travelled in and out of countries with the different passports, but used them whilst in country of the passport. Pretty crazy.
    It's just a matter of time...

I've often wondered this as I have become a misanthrope as time passed. I came to the conclusion the only way would be to go to my country of ethnic origin and live as a yogi or hermit in the forest. I was a lot happier without WiFi and smartphones etc. If I could I would have a Groundhog set of years of between 1980 to July 1987 or so and live there in an endless loop.

It's probably not possible to completely 'disappear'. What you can do is work out what you're most worried about, and concentrate on minimising that footprint.

Simple things you can do:

Only use cash for day to day shopping, and don't use loyalty cards.
    Don't use Microsoft Windows
    Don't use Google, or any Google owned apps or services.
    Don't have a smart phone
    Don't use Facebook, or any Facebook owned apps or services (e.g. WhatsApp, Instagram)
    Don't have any 'smart' home devices like Alexa

Regarding online privacy, don you tinfoil hat and read this site (there's good info about VPNs and which browser and privacy add-ons to use) https://www.privacytools.io

Master
    Check out “Maximus Ironthumper” on YouTube.... a great series of videos on being self sufficient and living off grid..

Craftsman
    Checkout the fake ID posts a couple of days ago , that’s a good start 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    Checkout the fake ID posts a couple of days ago , that’s a good start 
    Thats true lol

The crazy thing is that it still isn’t too hard to get real alternative ID’s in lots of countries!
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Check out “Maximus Ironthumper” on YouTube.... a great series of videos on being self sufficient and living off grid..
    I dunno... a guy with a youtube channel and e-commerce store?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Indeed, quite the oxymoron!

Maybe it's a distraction?.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    It’s probably about as off grid as you can get in the UK, and still make a living.

The early videos are the best, showing how he set the whole thing up, he has free water, generates his own electricity and manages a small woods for fire wood..

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    It’s probably about as off grid as you can get in the UK, and still make a living.
    My dad who lives in a council house and doesn't own a mobile or a PC is more off grid than this. By definition, running a e-commerce store makes you as on-grid as you could be.

If you live in a house, presumably with services hardly off grid.

Need to live a self sufficient life in the wilds somewhere, not easy in UK. Watch that Ben Fogle series.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 7th January 2019 at 09:47.

What does ‘off the grid’ means?
    It can mean living on a croft in Scotland with a wind turbine as sole source of electricity, and a burn for running water, no phone, barter or cash.
    It can also mean living a reasonably normal life with a limited digital footprint. PAYG SIMS that you jettison when empty, second hand mobile, vpn from internet cafes...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Think it means the former but suspect OP is after the latter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Think it means the former but suspect OP is after the latter.
    You suspect correctly. I meant a small digital footprint because living in a Croft without my Hi-Fi would be a step too far.

I personally think off grid has to be off grid, so it's by definition the croft, wind turbine, cash/barter, no phone, type of option. The other is not off grid but rather minimised digital footprint. Both ideas have merit, ones considerably harder to achieve than t'other.
    Just my 2 groats worth.

There are two definitions of 'off grid'. The original usage refers to living in remote wilderness areas, and not being connected to mains water, electricity, sewerage or the road network. Probably in America. The more recent usage refers to having a non-existant online digital footprint. I think the two are being confused.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    There are two definitions of 'off grid'. The original usage refers to living in remote wilderness areas, and not being connected to mains water, electricity, sewerage or the road network. Probably in America. The more recent usage refers to having a non-existant online digital footprint. I think the two are being confused.
    Ah so no internet connection as off grid ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    What does ‘off the grid’ means?
    It can mean living on a croft in Scotland with a wind turbine as sole source of electricity, and a burn for running water, no phone, barter or cash.
    It can also mean living a reasonably normal life with a limited digital footprint. PAYG SIMS that you jettison when empty, second hand mobile, vpn from internet cafes...
    Traditionally it was about being off public utilities - however the discussion here and the opening post has been about the digital footprint aspect.

Just as an aside, VPNs and PAYG sims are increasingly of limited benefit because your typing style and of language is a digital footprint....

Blog Entries

Jack Reacher style
    Last edited by bond; 7th January 2019 at 11:22.

There was a programme on Channel Four yesterday, I think it was the worlds most exotic houses? There's a place in the states called Slabtown where Vietnam Vets hang out. Nobody is asked their identity or their past, pretty much anything goes. Worth a look on catch up, if you want to tune in, turn on & drop out!

Blog Entries
    Maybe start by switching off any WiFi and then using VPN to re-direct your apparent IP address.

M

Blog Entries
    Are you a Harlequin or a Traveller?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I personally think off grid has to be off grid, so it's by definition the croft, wind turbine, cash/barter, no phone, type of option. The other is not off grid but rather minimised digital footprint. Both ideas have merit, ones considerably harder to achieve than t'other.
    Just my 2 groats worth.
    Indeed. I have a sibling who walks the middle road - solar & wind power, home grown meat and veg and no social media presence (other than WhatsApp).

I enjoy visiting but like coming back to my modern conveniences.

Blog Entries
    I envy these people really who don't need these modern trappings

Sent via smoke signal using Tapatalk

Difficult over here.

Quite a few live really off grid in the USA but it seems a hard life to me.

What's wrong with modern trappings and people knowing you shop at Tesco?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Buy a boat fit solar panels and a wind turbine then you are completely off grid !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk