closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nikon D3200

Nikon D3200

I'm going to look at a secondhand D3200, with standard kit zoom lens, tomorrow.
    It has the twin battery grip fitted.
    Is there anything in particular to look out for, in terms of parts/switches that may be prone to failure.
    I'll be using it to supplement my increasing collection of (cheap) 70s SLRs, to make sure I get the shot if I think the 35s may have failed.

I never had a problem with any of my Nikons, including my D40. Plus you should get a 6-12 warranty if buying from LCE, MPB etc.

Why does it have a battery grip? The main advantage of the D3XX / D40/D60 is the size/weight.

I bought one a while ago and found a crack in the case near the battery cover, didn't cause any problems but ran a little superglue into it which sealed it up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I never had a problem with any of my Nikons, including my D40. Plus you should get a 6-12 warranty if buying from LCE, MPB etc.

Why does it have a battery grip? The main advantage of the D3XX / D40/D60 is the size/weight.
    Sorry about the delay.
    It has a battery grip because the previous owner is , like me, a big chap and it fits better in the hand, also it was his back-up for wedding shoots etc.
    Also the additional shutter button on the grip makes for easier operation when holding the camera vertically.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    I bought one a while ago and found a crack in the case near the battery cover, didn't cause any problems but ran a little superglue into it which sealed it up nicely.
    Thanks for that. I've got it now and the kit kens appears to be unused :-)

If you intend to use it on a tripod I can recommend buying an L bracket for the camera. It makes switching between portrait and landscape orientations so much quicker and keeps the body centered over the tripod rather than flopped over as you see so many folks doing.

I don't know what they're going for now Chris, but if you have larger hands I would plump for a used D7100 or D7200. I had a D90, brilliant camera, and a very low cost option, but sensor technology improved a lot and the D3200 will be much better in that regard. However, the 7xxx cameras have dual wheels so you can change shutter speed and aperture without holding down the another button as on the 3xxx series. It will also AF with AF-D lenses like the 50 f1.8, which the 3xxx series won't (MF only).

Just something to consider if your mind isn't already made up.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Sorry about the delay.
    It has a battery grip because the previous owner is , like me, a big chap and it fits better in the hand, also it was his back-up for wedding shoots etc.
    Also the additional shutter button on the grip makes for easier operation when holding the camera vertically.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    If you intend to use it on a tripod I can recommend buying an L bracket for the camera. It makes switching between portrait and landscape orientations so much quicker and keeps the body centered over the tripod rather than flopped over as you see so many folks doing.
    Thanks, good tip

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    ... However, the 7xxx cameras have dual wheels so you can change shutter speed and aperture without holding down the another button as on the 3xxx series...
    Lightbulb moment!!!!