closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another to polish or not to polish...

Craftsman

Another to polish or not to polish...

May I trouble you learned folk for a little advice.

I have a 2005 Sea Dweller which I have owned from new. It is in mint condition with the lightest of swirls to the bracelet and case sides.

Due to the age of the watch I am arranging for it to go to Rolex for a service. Whilst I do not consider the watch to be a vintage watch, what is the general consensus about having the watch polished? Should I request a movement only service?

Also how amenable are Rolex to such instructions?

If it was me I would have the full spa treatment. For a dweller that age with just swirlies as you say, the amount of metal lost to polish up like new will be next to nothing. When 60's and 70's Rolex examples appear with thin lugs due to removal of deep stuff, I think the consensus would be to avoid or adjust the price down. Certainly something like a comex with its battle scars would go nowhere near a polisher. For yours I would think it would be a real pleasure to get your watch back looking like new.

Grand Master
    Agree mostly with the previous comment, the amount of metal removed is tiny and you havethe chance toget the watch looking new again.

I think there’s a lot of nonsense about not refinishing vintage watches, or even not so vintage, unfortunately this phylosophy has gathered momentum like a snowball rolling down a hill. I like my watches to look like they did when first purchased, whether they’re 5 years or 55 years old.

If it`s only swirls then leave it be.
    Leave the full treatment to when it`s really required - maybe in another 15 years?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    If it`s only swirls then leave it be.
    Leave the full treatment to when it`s really required - maybe in another 15 years?
    Disagree, it makes sense to enjoy the watch now in its full glory. It's surprising how a watch that doesn't initially appear badly scratched can look a whole lot sharper after refinishing, it's like comparing a fuzzy old TV screen with HD, everything's so much sharper.

The refinishing is part of the Rolex service, you gain nothing by leaving it, and if the marks are very shallow virtually no metal gets removed.