closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dads beat up Rolex

Apprentice

Question My dads beat up Rolex

https://imgur.com/a/NdlDJZU

This is his everyday watch. he does everything with it and it bothers me. I would never treat this watch like this. I understand it's waterproof but to swim in the ocean with it?? No. I wouldn't.

what is you guys opinion? use a watch to the fullest till its out or treat it with care?

Newbie with the first post btw

As much as I would be hesitant to take it to the beach because of the sand etc you have to remember that these are watches that are designed for that. Good old fashioned ‘tool’ watches were designed to be beaten up and used rather than kept in a safe and never worn. My explorer 2 gets taken most places and has the scratches to show it but I don’t mind,it’s life and it’s going to happen

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Welcome
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

That looks a very young arm if he's your dad - how old are you?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Use mine everywhere... no point having something you don’t use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbains0708 View Post
    As much as I would be hesitant to take it to the beach because of the sand etc you have to remember that these are watches that are designed for that. Good old fashioned ‘tool’ watches were designed to be beaten up and used rather than kept in a safe and never worn. My explorer 2 gets taken most places and has the scratches to show it but I don’t mind,it’s life and it’s going to happen

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I'm not sure that a Yachtmaster in steel and gold is a "tool watch". It's certainly not an Oyster Perpetual Date, either.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    How young an arm are you thinking?.Id say mid to late 40s maybe a tad more.Not much different to my 59 year arm with the age spots.

Just wear it ,can’t see point in having it locked away,welcome by the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by r3flex View Post

This is his everyday watch. he does everything with it and it bothers me. I would never treat this watch like this. I understand it's waterproof but to swim in the ocean with it?? No. I wouldn't.

what is you guys opinion? use a watch to the fullest till its out or treat it with care?

My opinion is it’s his watch not yours. End of.

Craftsman
    Wear it and use it
    Come service time they can make it shinny again

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    He's 50 and I'm 25. Young in life and in the watch game ;)

He's 50 and I'm 25. Young in life and in the watch game ;)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'm not sure that a Yachtmaster in steel and gold is a "tool watch". It's certainly not an Oyster Perpetual Date, either.
    It says Oyster Perpetual Date on the face

Master
    I try to match my watch to the situation. But if I had only one watch then I’d wear it unless I was doing something guaranteed to damage it.

Hello.
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    Not that I'd play....tired of trying to upload pics!.

But maybe we need a "Guess your age by your arm" thread now.

The winner keeps the watch your wearing on that arm,wonder how many say your wrong!.

Master
    Kid, exactly how many dads do you have?

Sometimes an apostrophe makes a world of difference.

Craftsman
    It doesnt look genuine to me.. the gold on the bracelet has rubbed away.. of course it could just be the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Frantastic View Post
    It doesnt look genuine to me.. the gold on the bracelet has rubbed away.. of course it could just be the photo.

Where? It's a two tone watch - looks like champagne dial 16623.

Master

The world seems to be split between those who happily use their watch for anything and everything and those who believe its a precious fragile object best not worn at all! Some people - like yourself it seems! - seem unable to believe that a watch that is rated water resistant to silly depths is actually water resistant. Yes, of course its OK to swim in the ocean with it (as long as the seals are in working order). Mind you, my phone is supposed to be water resistant and I'm not going to put that in water! Watches are generally much tougher than many people think. Your Dad can wear his watch for everything and you can baby yours! Its a free country.....

Oyster - term used for all their waterproof bases case designs including the YM.

Perpetual date - automatic moment

Date - as it says on the tin.

It is indeed a Yacht Master.
    It says Oyster Perpetual Date on the face
    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Enjoy it. Why buy a watch?

I agree that the Yachtmaster in the photo looks pretty grim. I am slightly hampered by the fact that I think Yachtmasters look pretty grim even when they’re new and shiny.

I’ll get my coat...

Simon

Master
    Blog Entries
    Welcome. I think that arm is fairly new. Circa 1975.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Welcome. I think that arm is fairly new. Circa 1975.
    Mmmm.Does Dad moisturise lol?

Master

No. I wouldn't.
    Do you drive your car when it rains ?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

The crown doesn’t look gold on that picture....

Blog Entries
    My modern YM had a steel crown too.

to OP: my Dad wore a Rolex with Plexiglass everyday once he bought it. If it was my only watch I would do the same.

Doesn’t look that beaten up to me. Scottish gtg picture showing how we develop our own brand of WABI

My opinion and I think it changes as you get older and wiser is, enjoy your possessions, it does not matter if it is a watch , car, camera. Time is promised to no one and you aint going to be able to enjoy these things when you are six feet under, enjoy them now. I can never understand why people pay lots of money for their prized watch just to stick in a safe and admire once a week. A watch is designed to be worn and to tell the time.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    My modern YM had a steel crown too.

to OP: my Dad wore a Rolex with Plexiglass everyday once he bought it. If it was my only watch I would do the same.

Interesting, I thought they were gold!

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    My opinion and I think it changes as you get older and wiser is, enjoy your possessions, it does not matter if it is a watch , car, camera. Time is promised to no one and you aint going to be able to enjoy these things when you are six feet under, enjoy them now. I can never understand why people pay lots of money for their prized watch just to stick in a safe and admire once a week. A watch is designed to be worn and to tell the time.
    Couldn’t agree more. And if you are worried about the value of it to much to wear it then why buy an expensive watch in the first place.

Craftsman
    +1.

The funny thing is that these days old and heavy brazzed black Leica cameras and lenses are actually getting very high prizes on the the collectors market. Here's one:

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Do you drive your car when it rains ?
    Would you drive a sports car on dirt roads?

my point is, yes I would wear it but time and a place. maybe I'm too young though because the majority think it's ok

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Watches are generally much tougher than many people think. Your Dad can wear his watch for everything and you can baby yours! Its a free country.....
    Guess i do think of them as fragile. Plus when you spend a lot on a product like a phone or watch, you tent to treat it like a new born. Get a cover for the phone and only taake out the watch to certain occasions. Yeah i dont think of them as that tough, good point. i'll change my opinion on that

Apprentice

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Kid, exactly how many dads do you have?

Sometimes an apostrophe makes a world of difference.
    hahahaha guess im the child of a couple'a fairies

Blog Entries
    hahahaha guess im the child of a couple'a fairies
    This thread is getting way left field!

Would you drive a sports car on dirt roads? k
    Yes of course I would, what difference does that make? I would be a little more careful admittedly, but I would also if I was driving a 4x4.

Master
    Everything is expendable. Most things will wear out and/or break beyond repair at some point. One just has to factor in how much one accelerates or decelerates that process according to personal considerations, ie value, sentiment, maintenance cost, appearance etc. Therefore there is no right or wrong course of action regarding this subject. Its down to personal choice.

Blog Entries
    OP. I think you are getting flack because you suggest you can’t wear a ‘sport’ Rolex 24x7. If it was a higher brand like a Patek Calatrava I think your argument would stand. I got flack for wearing my 5167A gardening! Also don’t take this place too seriously.

Welcome aboard the mad house.

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 29th April 2019 at 07:34.

I don't see an issue with using his watch, far too many people just see watches as investments and not object to enjoy so baby the watches. I love watches to wear them, years ago I had a steelfish and was on holiday and someone random (must have been WIS) said to me in the pool "I cant believe you are swimming with a Breitling", which to me is the wrong mentality, its a 2000m rated dive watch why the hell would I not wear it so swim. The watch is safer on my wrist that left by the side of the pool. I think more people need to have your dads mentality.

Journeyman
    whilst my humble TAG is a fraction of the value of your Dad's watch, it was still a big outlay for me. I have swum and dived in numerous places with it on, worn on the beach and for snorkelling and worn just about everyday for everything. It is the reason i bought a water proof watch.

Too many people seem to want to decide what others should do or how to treat their watches.
    It is up to the individual owner. If they want to wear them at all times and do not mind them being roughed up a bit, more power to them. If someone wants to baby them or keep them in a safe, it is their watch and their choice.
    The biggest bit of BS on watch fora is 'using watches for their intended purpose'. There is no intention on part of manufacturers. The only intention is to sell them.
    If your dad likes wearing his all the time, nothing wrong with it. There is no one choice fits all.
    It is the insecurity in their own choices that makes people say watches should be used certain way or how big or small they should be or what watch or brand one should be wearing or making assumptions about someone's intentions behind buying/wearing a certain brand or size.
    If more people learned to be comfortable in their own skins, they will learn to be comfortable with others choices as well.
    Rant over!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Too many people seem to want to decide what others should do or how to treat their watches.
    It is up to the individual owner. If they want to wear them at all times and do not mind them being roughed up a bit, more power to them. If someone wants to baby them or keep them in a safe, it is their watch and their choice.
    The biggest bit of BS on watch fora is 'using watches for their intended purpose'. There is no intention on part of manufacturers. The only intention is to sell them.
    If your dad likes wearing his all the time, nothing wrong with it. There is no one choice fits all.
    It is the insecurity in their own choices that makes people say watches should be used certain way or how big or small they should be or what watch or brand one should be wearing or making assumptions about someone's intentions behind buying/wearing a certain brand or size.
    If more people learned to be comfortable in their own skins, they will learn to be comfortable with others choices as well.
    Rant over!!
    That's great, but the OP asked for opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    That's great, but the OP asked for opinions.
    Fair enough and I did consider that. His words- what is you guys opinion? use a watch to the fullest till its out or treat it with care?
    I interpret it as asking people what they would do, Or what his father should do. Not what they thought no others should do. Opinions are fine as long as not applied to others. Anyway, it was a rant which implies it is about something that goes beyond the post.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 29th April 2019 at 13:02.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Fair enough and I did consider that. His words- what is you guys opinion? use a watch to the fullest till its out or treat it with care?
    I interpret it as asking people what they would do, Or what his father should do. Not what they thought no others should do. Opinions are fine as long as not applied to others. Anyway, it was a rant which implies it is about something that goes beyond the post.
    My issue is why does it bother the OP. It’s not his watch.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    My issue is why does it bother the OP. It’s not his watch.
    The way my dad treats his watch p*sses me right off.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The way my dad treats his watch p*sses me right off.
    Lol why? It’s HIS

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Lol why? It’s HIS
    Totally agree...on the converse, people who baby their watches ridiculously irritate me, but I keep my trap shut - except on here!!!!!!