closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tudor: A Rolex for less than Omega Money?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Parts manufactured in China, final assembly and test in Switzerland. Materials and tolerances differ, but ultimately that’s the approach that Rolex, Tudor, Omega and many others take.

Secrecy and “mystique” of the brands is all about not admitting this is happening, right? Or wrong?

I don’t have a problem with it either way. I tried a Tudor on, didn’t like it. Tried an Omega on, liked it (surprised myself), bought it. I am that shallow.

Do you have information on Rolex or even Tudor manufacturedc parts in China (not Omega parts)? As I and I'm sure many would be very interested. Also on actual Omega parts, rather than a few bracelets/links etc.?
    It's just a matter of time...

It makes me chuckle that some conspicuous consumers have no problem spunking over a grand on an iPhone X made entirely in China, yet scream the house down at the thought of a single component in their "Swiss" watch being made there.

Tudor: A Rolex for less than Omega Money?

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Sports Rolexes aren't meant to be worn for dress occasions, either. Only Americans and Bond wannabes would wear (say) a Sub and a suit.
    Rolex promoted this very idea decades ago (1965, if the source of the first pic is correct) with those ads showing a man’s Sub under a suit cuff. They had ads for women, as well, (Hopefully she removes the seaweed.)

Capitalizing on 1960s Bondmania? Of course. You do not have to be a Yank or a Bond wannabe to succumb to that, Rolex has been fueling that fire for a long, long time.

With all the white gold and precision detailing, I think Rolex believes they’ve made the Sub a dress watch, and most of their customers drink the Kool-Aid. I believe it’s the minority of WIS types who are immune to this hype.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChromeJob; 15th February 2019 at 16:57. Reason: example ads attached

I think the whole concept of anyone on a watch forum saying what someone should or shouldn't consider a dress watch is a bit bizarre to me. I'm very anti fashion though. The whole 'this is what you should be wearing this season's is a marketing masterpiece. Some people can easily look great in a suit with a Sub on and some just look silly. I personally couldn't wear a Panerai but I purchased a watch from A TZer a while back and his looked like it was made for him.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Aesthetically I have always much preferred the dial on the Tudor Oyster Prince Date Day (or the later Tudor Prince version without the word Oyster) to the Rolex Day Date that has the "fussy" extra minute chapter ring with the Roman numerals. For that reason it is the Tudor version that I have always wanted, and which I consider to be "better". I also like the fact that Tudor made it in stainless steel, which makes it massively practical and affordable, vs the Rolex version in solid yellow or white gold.
    Very good point. The roman numeral track has always put me off the Rolex. Well that and the price too....

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I think the whole concept of anyone on a watch forum saying what someone should or shouldn't consider a dress watch is a bit bizarre to me. I'm very anti fashion though. The whole 'this is what you should be wearing this season's is a marketing masterpiece. Some people can easily look great in a suit with a Sub on and some just look silly. I personally couldn't wear a Panerai but I purchased a watch from A TZer a while back and his looked like it was made for him.
    There are basic style tenets that transcend fashion or even eras. "Never brown in town." Shoes and belt should match. Socks should not be more garish than the pants fabric with a suit. Certain types of watches with a tuxedo. Sure, many flout such conventions, but that's a personal style choice (or utter ignorance; better to know the standard and thoughtfully deviate from it IMHO).

In Goldfinger, Bond pulling back his white tuxedo cuff to peer at his dive watch on a nylon band was something of an anomaly, because of course the man is a complete anomaly, checking to see when his incendiary explosives will ignite. The success of the film, and the character, now makes it a style icon many want to imitate.

Back to Tudor ... I think the plaudits for the Black Bay 58 are a result of it being small enough that it CAN be worn under a shirt cuff, like that 1965 Rolex ad, and it has rose gold detailing that probably convinces many that it goes just dandy with a suit. I think it muddies the waters of Tudor vs. Rolex because seen under a loupe, the 58's detailing and precision are on par with its big brothers, but at a more widely attainable price point.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChromeJob; 15th February 2019 at 17:10.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Parts manufactured in China, final assembly and test in Switzerland. Materials and tolerances differ, but ultimately that’s the approach that Rolex, Tudor, Omega and many others take.

Secrecy and “mystique” of the brands is all about not admitting this is happening, right? Or wrong?
    Partly wrong, I suspect - at least as regards Rolex, who maintain their own in-house foundry (https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/inside-rolex) and are perhaps the epitome of 'in house' (alongside Seiko), despite an interesting historical company arrangement.

In terms of Omega, I've read on numerous occasions that some parts - e.g. bracelets - originate from the Far East, but I'm not able to state that with certainty. As to Tudor, I don't have a clue.

The 'Swiss Made' standard is certainly far less rigorous than most would assume, so things like movements especially can be majority manufactured in the Far East, but labelled as 'Swiss Made' if they are assembled & inspected in Switzerland, with 60% of final cost derived from Switzerland (until recently it was 50%). It's not hard to imagine that the 60% bar is quite easily met when considering the level of Swiss wages and what it would cost for even a modicum of human adaptation, decoration, QC etc., compared to the initial costs of churning out the machine-made starting point. At the top levels though, a very high percentage would originate from Switzerland.

Chinese manufacturing is not necessarily cheap or shoddy - far from it - and it mostly makes little practical difference really when talking about simple components, but if 'Swiss Made' is being used as a justification of cost, then it really should be what it purports to be. However, the entire industry is riddled with 'smoke & mirrors' so I take such things with a pinch of salt anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    New Tudors are better made than old Rolex.
    New Rolex are better made than new Tudor.
    New Rolex are considerably more expensive than New Tudor.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sums it up for me and happy to own and regularly wear watches in each of those three categories.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    New Tudors are better made than old Rolex.
    New Rolex are better made than new Tudor.
    New Rolex are considerably more expensive than New Tudor.
    Some parts for both are made in the same place.
    Some TZers are informed, or at least interested and happy to converse.
    Some are rabid keyboard warriors with small parts concerns of their own.

They’re different watches, with close ties. If you are one who thinks a Tudor is a Rolex, that’s your problem.
    If you are a Rolex owner horrified at the thought of yours being compared to a cheaper watch, that’s your problem.
    The rest of us reasonable, measured and less foaming-at-the-mouth types will remain generally interested and not overly engaged, and gladly remember the names of those people who are best avoided conversing with.

I’m off to hospital, maternity ward, and will deal with things today that really matter. I will be wearing a Tudor, although I could wear my Rolex - and I enjoy both, but neither matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best comment I’ve read today.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app