closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canada goose coats

Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    Nobis use Sympatex which they claim is waterproof though not personally tested it...
    Down parkas which are also waterproof is an oxymoron.

You wear down parka when it is cold, and the ability of the atmosphere to hold moisture at low temperatures is small. Plus any temperatures where you’d use these jackets would mean snow would fall rather than rain.

If you are wearing down parkas in the rain, you have the wrong coat on. At best you need the parka to have a bit of shower resistance.

Waterproof down parkas are a bit of a gimmick IMO.

I had a North Face 900 fill once which was bloody amazing, wore it for an 10 hour shift in -8°c completely static the whole night and was nothing but toasty warm. These days I'd go for Snugpak or Arktis.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus04 View Post
    Hello, I know this has turned into a sort of "is it ethical" debate, but my wife has suddenly declared that she needs a new warm coat. Apparently she has seen a Canada Goose coat online in a style that she likes, but before trekking into London to actually try one on I would like to ask how do they come size wise, ie would a large womens one be a uk 14? Anyones other half got one and are they true to size?
    And before we get to the "they are too warm for southern uk" debate believe me when I tell you my missus will probably be wearing it in June as she has a very slow heart rate so if not vigourously exercising she feels cold most of the time. Like I said she has seen a style she likes but I think they all look pretty similar across all the differant makes
    For men I found they are true to size. I'm an xl in most things and an xl in CG coats. If she's found the one she wants online I'd just buy it online in a couple of sizes to be sure and then return the one that doesnt fit. There are some pretty decent deals to be had online at the moment for CG jackets.

Craftsman

Cool That is strange!

My Canada Goose PBI (Polar Bears International) Expedition Parka rated -30* and below is like a sauna inside when out and about in subfreezing temperatures.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    There are some pretty decent deals to be had online at the moment for CG jackets.
    Really? Can’t say I have been looking a lot but have only seen a few models at 20% off in limited sizes. Any details?

Some of the models e.g. Expedition come up rather large but the more “urban” styles are fairly true to size

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus04 View Post
    Hello, I know this has turned into a sort of "is it ethical" debate, but my wife has suddenly declared that she needs a new warm coat. Apparently she has seen a Canada Goose coat online in a style that she likes, but before trekking into London to actually try one on I would like to ask how do they come size wise, ie would a large womens one be a uk 14? Anyones other half got one and are they true to size?
    And before we get to the "they are too warm for southern uk" debate believe me when I tell you my missus will probably be wearing it in June as she has a very slow heart rate so if not vigourously exercising she feels cold most of the time. Like I said she has seen a style she likes but I think they all look pretty similar across all the differant makes
    Like all clothing, sizes vary from style to style. I looked at a CG expedition parka and needed the XL, but I settled for the Chilliwack bomber, XL drowned me but the L fits perfect.
    Also the wife was purchasing one at the same time, normally a standard size 12, she tried on many various styles and sizes of CG ladies jackets but none felt comfortable on her. Eventually she settled on a gents parka in size small and it`s perfect for her 5`8" size 12 frame.
    I would strongly suggest you visit a retailer to try them on, regards, Daz.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the helpful replies. I am quite averse to buying clothes online as has been mentioned differant makes vary in sizes. The other half has seen a style online she likes but I know from experience that she will probably try on various styles and sizes in multiple shops then decide she would like the nice North face one she tried 3 weeks ago!

It makes a big difference as to what you are doing as an activity and what the weather is like, ie, if you are -20 in the sun it can well feel warmer than -1 in damp overcast weather. I’ve had Kjus, Schoffel, Mammut and Picture ski jackets recently and all are comfy to -20. Canada Goose have suffered lots of bad press recently and are now more of a fashion brand who still use real fur; which I don not support. I’d buy a Schoffel or Kjus jacket instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    There are some pretty decent deals to be had online at the moment for CG jackets.
    That surprises me. Are you sure that they are authentic? The ratio of real to fake CG jackets on the web is probably not dissimilar to the ratio of real to fake Rolexes!

(I have a couple of CG jackets but it's very rarely cold enough for me to wear them).

30% off a good few CG jackets at Tessuti. Still eye wateringly expensive for mediocre jackets.

https://www.tessuti.co.uk/brand/canada-goose/sale/

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    30% off a good few CG jackets at Tessuti. Still eye wateringly expensive for mediocre jackets.

I was in Calgary Canada over Christmas and new year, every body had there sales going on like North Face half price
    and so on but CG nothing they were cheaper than in the UK but only by about 20% give or take

Used to be a big fan but they are becoming more of a fashion brand now, a bit like Belstaff.

Craftsman

You wear down parka when it is cold, and the ability of the atmosphere to hold moisture at low temperatures is small. Plus any temperatures where you’d use these jackets would mean snow would fall rather than rain.

If you are wearing down parkas in the rain, you have the wrong coat on. At best you need the parka to have a bit of shower resistance.

These expedition parkas by definition are probably an oxymoron in the context of wearing them day to day in the UK climate irrespective of their waterproofness. I think a waterproof outer gives them additional durability in this context as many people are usually unaware these coats are not resilient in wet weather. Each to their own I guess but I would heartily recommend Nobis at this price point for this style of coat.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I would heartily recommend Nobis at this price point for this style of coat.
    I bought a Nobis Heritage Parka in the NY sales this year. It's a thing of beauty.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    That surprises me. Are you sure that they are authentic? The ratio of real to fake CG jackets on the web is probably not dissimilar to the ratio of real to fake Rolexes!

(I have a couple of CG jackets but it's very rarely cold enough for me to wear them).

Yeah they're authentic. You can verify a seller's URL on the Canada goose website. The Tessuti sale is primarily what I was referrimng too. For a brand where there are hardly any discounts / sales a close to 30% discount is pretty decent imo.

It's not an oxymoron if the down parka section has a separate isolated waterproof layer on top of it.
    The Nobis Parka isn't a puffa jacket.
    Quite a few of the CG coats I've seen are also constructed this way, too. It makes them heavy and probably not suitable for skiing etc, but ideally suited for walking between pubs when it's cold and wet - which is probably what most nice coats are used for, as opposed to going on expeditions.
    Last edited by Tony; 18th February 2019 at 10:59.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I bought a Nobis Heritage Parka in the NY sales this year. It's a thing of beauty.
    I particularly liked the magnetic storm flap. I'm surprised they are not more widely available. Glad you like it. It is the Best Buy and avoids being bundled as a fashionista whilst retaining a cool image for those that know! Best of both worlds!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I particularly liked the magnetic storm flap. I'm surprised they are not more widely available. Glad you like it. It is the Best Buy and avoids being bundled as a fashionista whilst retaining a cool image for those that know! Best of both worlds!
    [/url]
    The storm flaps are a joy.

It has to be about detail and quality with something like that - when you're paying that much for an item that needs to last a long time so you can't afford for it to be too 'out there', otherwise you won't want to wear it in a couple of years.

Master
    Snugpak Sleeka, no fur, no down, comfy to minus 10 and beyond (personal experience), never needed more than a thin micro fleece and tee underneath in the extreme cold. Dries quickly and is light enough to work in. keeps you warm even when the jacket is damp through snow or light rain. and cheap!