closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canada goose coats

Master
    Sorry to hear that op. I looked at them but couldn’t justify the cost on a coat so bought a north face Gotham 2 jacket for half the price. Worn in -5 with only a t-shirt underneath. Maybe try north face higher end stuff if you continue to get no joy with Canada goose.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    The issue many have with Canada Goose isn't necessarily that coyotes are killed, it's that they are made to suffer before they are killed as per the worst examples of the fur industry.
    I'm not sure this is true. This blog suggests not so much... https://www.truthaboutfur.com/blog/5...ampaign-wrong/

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I'm not sure this is true. This blog suggests not so much... https://www.truthaboutfur.com/blog/5...ampaign-wrong/
    My understanding is that the Coyotes are caught using so called bear traps. They then have to wait around for the hunter to turn up and shoot them in the head. Many try to chew their own legs off to escape.

Be very careful. Make sure it's a genuine Canada Goose coat... There are loads of fakes from China, complete with hologrammed labels etc.

Cost £40 in china with a big discount for larger orders.

Craftsman
    My understanding is that the Coyotes are caught using so called bear traps. They then have to wait around for the hunter to turn up and shoot them in the head. Many try to chew their own legs off to escape.
    That is very much an assertion by PETA. The old fashioned bear traps have been banned for a good while. Coyotes are still trapped but the traps don't cause physical harm at the point of trapping and therefore the animals don't get distressed and chew their own legs of to escape. The same traps are used to capture animals for tagging / tracking. In those situations harming the animal would be less than ideal.

I'm not saying trapping with the old bear traps doesn't take place as I'm sure it does however I find it hard to believe a company the size and reputation of CG would break the law, especially around an already highly contentious area.

Ultimately CG coats or anything garment with real fur is a divisive topic where everyone has their set opinion and it is very hard to persuade anyone to change their opinion either way.
    Last edited by Gerald Genta; 12th February 2019 at 15:48.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Be very careful. Make sure it's a genuine Canada Goose coat... There are loads of fakes from China, complete with hologrammed labels etc.

Cost £40 in china with a big discount for larger orders.
    You can check authenticity of the distributor on the CG website.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    A friend of mine said exactly the same thing!

He had a RAB coat but bought a CG before Christmas and says it’s awful when he’s walking the dog.

I’ve got a couple of Moncler’s and find them superb! I have a big one for walking and a thinner one for going out.

I’ve also found Tog24 to be very good and they can be had half price at my local outlet 100% of the time.
    I’ve got a tog 24 Parker style that cost me about £60... shirt and jumper underneath and stood out on Sunday watching my daughter play hockey in driving cold wind and rain with no issues. Had it on last week in the snow with long sleeved shirt and jumper and were were out all day building snowmen and sledging and I felt colder in the house once I’d taken the cost off!!... perfectly good enough for the UK climate IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    I’ve got a tog 24 Parker style that cost me about £60... shirt and jumper underneath and stood out on Sunday watching my daughter play hockey in driving cold wind and rain with no issues. Had it on last week in the snow with long sleeved shirt and jumper and were were out all day building snowmen and sledging and I felt colder in the house once I’d taken the cost off!!... perfectly good enough for the UK climate IMHO.
    Agree with this.

Far more useful to wear a shirt and jumper with a less warm coat. Might be going somewhere and end up indoors. Take the coat off, then what, too cold!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    That is very much an assertion by PETA. The old fashioned bear traps have been banned for a good while. Coyotes are still trapped but the traps don't cause physical harm at the point of trapping and therefore the animals don't get distressed and chew their own legs of to escape. The same traps are used to capture animals to for tagging / tracking. In those situations harming the animal would be less than ideal.
    I would genuinely love to believe this and if it is the case I will appologise and reverse my position. I doubt that it is the case though. Canada Goose have failed to answer any of my questions regarding this. If they had the ethical upper hand as you suggest, why would they not issue press releases and answer such questions?

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    I sold my Canada goose because it was too warm probably about 7-8 years ago now before everyone started wearing them thankfully. I use use a Fjallraven Yupik parka spent last week wandering around Berlin around -3/4 with just a T-shirt underneath toasty warm and waterproof which I don’t think my Canada goose was although I never tried it in rain.
    I picked a Yupik up this winter. Very capable coat.

Why are people against fur of an aminal but not the skin of a different animal used in other products.

Atleast the fur has a practical use case and is the best defence against cold. These were practical coats to be used in the harshest environments.

I think people have double standards when it comes to killing animals.

No it's cosmetic, no one ever died in the arctic because their coat had synthetic trim on the edge of the hood instead of coyote fur.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    No it's cosmetic, no one ever died in the arctic because their coat had synthetic trim on the edge of the hood instead of coyote fur.
    Synthetic fur freezes when wet, whereas real fur doesn't. I wonder how many trekking the arctic use synthetic fur versus real. I genuinely have no idea

Craftsman
    I would genuinely love to believe this and if it is the case I will appologise and reverse my position. I doubt that it is the case though. Canada Goose have failed to answer any of my questions regarding this. If they had the ethical upper hand as you suggest, why would they not issue press releases and answer such questions?
    Their fur policy is very easy to find on their website and I suspect they don't feel the need / have the time to personally reply to everyone questioning how their fur is sourced. I don't necessarily agree with this approach but large companies not responding to individual requests is quite common and is just poor customer service.

https://www.canadagoose.com/uk/en/fu...wn-policy.html

Master
    Blog Entries
    What a ridiculous statement.

I never said it saves lives. It does a better job of keeping the person warm then faux fur does. So they use it.

Just like goose down is a better insulator then synthetic down.

Things like alligator and crocodile leather watch straps are purely cosmetic as there are better practical alternatives but might not look as nice.

Master
    I bought a Canada goose lookalike from tkmax last year for around£40. In the coldest weather this year I just wear a Polo shirt underneath and it's as warm as toast 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    Their fur policy is very easy to find on their website and I suspect they don't feel the need / have the time to personally reply to everyone questioning how their fur is sourced. I don't necessarily agree with this approach but large companies not responding to individual requests is quite common and is just poor customer service.

https://www.canadagoose.com/uk/en/fu...wn-policy.html
    The first thing I did was go to their website. The second thing I did was look at their stated fur policy. The third thing I did was send them an email. None of it tells us whether the cruely claims are true.

In fairness, I think they must have recently updated their fur statement very recently cos it isn't the same as the one I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by rdesouza View Post
    CG is the height of chavs these days as so many fakes around....best to avoid, Woolrich is a nicer alternative if you need such a warm jacket. Overkill for most of southern UK anyway. How people wear them on the tube I have no idea.
    Agreed, the woolrich is the ‘home of the original parka’, and bloody warm as well! Only to be broken out in the event of an ice age.

Absolutely Love mine...

Fur policy https://www.woolrich.eu/en/cz/fur-policy.html

What do you think they do to the Alligators to get the leather straps?
    Quite. That's precisely why I wouldn't choose to wear one.

Quote Originally Posted by rdesouza View Post
    ...Woolrich is a nicer alternative if you need such a warm jacket...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Agreed, the woolrich is the ‘home of the original parka’, and bloody warm as well! Only to be broken out in the event of an ice age.
    Absolutely Love mine...
    Shhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Shhh.....

Master
    Don’t like most of the CG coats so I got a ParaJumpers one, I really don’t care if people are offered by the fur or down. But then again I don’t eat turkeys after being in a slaughter house that did 47,000 per day to feed The masses at Christmas. Each to there own.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    This one is right up there with a certain watch brand slagging.

Let’s get started on Stone Island shall we .......... and yes I went to a freezing cold Carrow Road Sunday wearing a ROLEX, my CG Expedition and a thin Shadow Project sweaty, oh and wait for it...... LEATHER Danner boots.

Honestly, why do people get their pants in such a twist over a bit of fur and a badge.

Core you saddo’s make me laugh.

Pitch (badge victim)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    CG are very well made jackets in Canada (not China) but the spec is relatively poor for the price point, and better spec jackets can be had for far cheaper spend.
    Exactly this. £995 for 625 fill power down? Someone's having a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    Quite.

Badge first, nothing more. Too chavy and form over function for me.

One example of many of a proper expedition level jacket for much less money with a huge spec.

https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/hispar-d...bj4fud3j43gri7
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

It's madness. The sleeve would cover the wristwatch that you'd paid £10-20,000 for and no one would be able to see it.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Quite.

One example of many of a proper expedition level jacket for much less money with a huge spec.

Cheers buddy, another 400 quid down the pan. I am hoping though that the birds were kept in a nice field, fed un-mod’d grain and plucked humanly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Cheers buddy, another 400 quid down the pan. I am hoping though that the birds were kept in a nice field, fed un-mod’d grain and plucked humanly.
    Read the ethics statement....

We know exactly where our down comes from (we visit the producer) and none is plucked from live birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    It’s probably automated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It’s probably automated.
    Some are more ethical than others - PHD are one, Alpkit are another.

I only paid £220 for mine (no it isn’t fake) it’s a very well made coat and having compared it to a woolrich I thought it was slightly better made and much heavier grade material.
    Having used RAB gear for over 20 years I don’t think you can compare a lightweight climbing/belay/travel down jacket to a heavyweight parka FWIW The CG is warmer than a RAB guide or Alpine jacket despite inferior fill power.

If I had £995 to spend on a coat I would probably commission my own Harris Tweed fabric and have one made.

Tempted to unpick the round sleeve badge on mine as I’m not a fan of any labels/logos on any clothing as I’m not a teenager or a football fan.

Master
    I think if you’re relying on ‘what-about-ism’ to defend your choice of outdoor jacket, then there might be a problem.

There is a difference, I think, between animal products made as part of food production, and animals that are killed solely for what amounts to an unnecessary trinket/garment etc.

I eat meat, so can’t complain that animals die as a result, but I couldn’t with all conscience wear a coat with a trapped fur hood, or an alligator strap etc.

But, I can’t really work myself up to condemn anybody for it either, if I’m honest. It’s complicated and the fur might have been obtained via humane trapping and slaughter, but it’s sufficiently unclear/guaranteed to put me off.

Some are more ethical than others - PHD are one, Alpkit are another.
    My post was a comment on use of ‘humanly’.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Having used RAB gear for over 20 years I don’t think you can compare a lightweight climbing/belay/travel down jacket to a heavyweight parka FWIW The CG is warmer than a RAB guide or Alpine jacket despite inferior fill power.
    Fill power is not everything. Of course a jacket with 400 - 500 grams (I'm just guessing - Canada Goose don't actually tell you how much down there is) of 625 FP down will be warmer than one with 100 grams of 800 FP down

The fact still remains that 625 FP is among the poorest performing down out there. Surely at their prices they can afford to use better down in their coats, right?

Master
    Quite.

I have their Zeta Belay jacket (better for the UK weather as it's synthetic), but, as I'm planning to get out in the Alps next year, will probably be getting a Delta as well.

The Hispar would be too much jacket for 99% of the time - I'd rather layer up instead

Craftsman
    I purchased a Belstaff Parka on sale and it is very nice. My wife purchased Woolrich and I felt it was a step up in quality. Best I've ever seen is Nobis which also happens to be waterproof. I didn't buy it as it was too warm for our climate though. I've looked at CG in both a local store, Harrods and the Regent Street shop. My view was the quality was not there for the price point. I felt somewhat vindicated when my local store stockist told me they were returning a disproportionate amount of them due to quality control issues. They now stock Woolrich instead. Each to their own, buy what you like.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

What a ridiculous statement.
    You started it.

You started it.
    Now let’s not get bogged down with who said what to whom 
    Love the way most of these threads turn to shit quickly, no wonder the country is Fkd 臘*♂️
    Last edited by Anygreg; 13th February 2019 at 11:31.

We are more than the sum of our purchases, or should be.

I can't believe that no one is thinking about the poor ducks and geese that provide the down. Stripped naked; they're probably bloody freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I can't believe that no one is thinking about the poor ducks and geese that provide the down. Stripped naked; they're probably bloody freezing.
    Indeed really quackers situation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    Best I've ever seen is Nobis which also happens to be waterproof.
    Damn, someone has let that secret out! I replaced my CG parka with one of these-I believe made by some of the people involved with CG before it got taken over by private equity. Slightly less flashy styling but equally warm and more water resistant (I wouldn't say waterproof). Also see them far less commonly and usually with less associated sportswear. Also better for those of us without quite such a generous build as CG come up rather large in many styles.

CG do use higher down fill powers in some garments, I have a Hybridge vest still which is 800 fill down. I'm not sure anyone makes a large parka style jacket with 800FP down, I know some shorter expedition jackets do use it though

Master
    CG is getting right up there with Chav Face now!

I have a Montane.

Don't need anything under it apart from a T shirt!

Master
    There must be a lot of people travelling to Scandinavian countries, I've got a £120 Northface that's also waterproof and the only time I wear more than a t shirt or shirt is in my own house. The UK just isn't that cold.

Master
    Bought a Woolrich Arctic last year as I don’t like advertising logos the size of CG. There is a fur hood but it’s detachable.

Master
    Over priced fashion label now.

Not so keen on them using real fur for the parka hoods either.

No longer good ol' Canadian product as they have been bought out by a Chinese company.

As others may have said, does it actually get that cold in the U.K.? I’ve never been a fan of these expensive parkas that would get ruined if a cigarette gets within a foot of it (I say this as a non smoker who’s lost a couple of coats this way in pubs!) I’m fine even on the coldest nights with a t shirt, shirt, woolly jumper and a thin Barbour, maybe a scarf and a flat cap if it’s really cold. And I’m a southern softie!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everyone is different and feels the cold (or not) to varying degrees.
    despite growing up with single glazed windows and no heating in upstairs rooms i feel the cold outside yet don't like over warm living rooms inside. my partner who grew up in northern europe with regular minus 10º temps feels the cold more than me. both of us are slim or skinny compared to the average slightly overweight individual though which has a bearing on how cold you feel.

i’ll just wear what suits the conditions, it thats 0º with a bitter wind it will be the canada goose and i’ll be toasty warm.
    i have a few friends in the film industry who all have a parka of some description for location shoots in winter as they make perfect sense if you are not moving around lots.

seems to be a british obsession about wearing the hair shirt regarding being warm/comfortable. probably something to do with our rubbish housing stock and thinking suffering hardship is a badge of honour.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    Damn, someone has let that secret out! I replaced my CG parka with one of these-I believe made by some of the people involved with CG before it got taken over by private equity. Slightly less flashy styling but equally warm and more water resistant (I wouldn't say waterproof). Also see them far less commonly and usually with less associated sportswear. Also better for those of us without quite such a generous build as CG come up rather large in many styles.

CG do use higher down fill powers in some garments, I have a Hybridge vest still which is 800 fill down. I'm not sure anyone makes a large parka style jacket with 800FP down, I know some shorter expedition jackets do use it though
    Nobis use Sympatex which they claim is waterproof though not personally tested it...

https://nobis.com/collections/men/products/the-heritage

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Hello, I know this has turned into a sort of "is it ethical" debate, but my wife has suddenly declared that she needs a new warm coat. Apparently she has seen a Canada Goose coat online in a style that she likes, but before trekking into London to actually try one on I would like to ask how do they come size wise, ie would a large womens one be a uk 14? Anyones other half got one and are they true to size?
    And before we get to the "they are too warm for southern uk" debate believe me when I tell you my missus will probably be wearing it in June as she has a very slow heart rate so if not vigourously exercising she feels cold most of the time. Like I said she has seen a style she likes but I think they all look pretty similar across all the differant makes

Waiting for the CG to be connected with the brexit and the fake daytona thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk