closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canada goose coats

Master

Canada goose coats

Ive just had a very dissapointing experience with a canada goose wyndham parka, it was a 50th birthday present supposedly comfy to -20 i was walking round manchester in it last weekend with a shirt and wool jumper underneath it was -2 but not really warm i have now sent it back and have no present.
    Has anyone else been similarly underwelmed by canada goose coats ?

Mine is apparently good to -20 but I've only used it at -5 max

For ease of use, I often just fasten it with the buttons but that lets a lot of cold in. For it to work properly, I have to use the zip to the top with hood on. If used like that, I'd say it works well for UK weather. I'd have a max of two layers on underneath but more likely one layer.

I think with a proper long sleeve "base layer" and a wool top and the coat done up properly, it would be fine for much more than -5

Craftsman
    Have to say I love mine and only ever wear it with a t-shirt underneath otherwise I get very sweaty and uncomfortably hot!

Master
    Can't say I ever got cold in mine but I didn't managed to test it to -20 either! Was the Expedition model so slightly different to yours too.

Fit is quite important with these sort of jackets, too little room and there is no air space to warm you and too much room means it takes linger for all the air trapped to warm up!

Was the reason I sold mine in the end as was just a bit too big

I’ve got a Canada Goose padded jacket. A bit shorter than the parkas and no hood. I was wandering around Manchester too this weekend as I live in the city centre. No complaints. I’ve been wearing it this winter and have had no complaints.

I layer up when it’s really cold though. Vest, thin t shirt, polo shirt and a zip up cardigan. It’s all about the layering.

Blog Entries
    I thought these were tried and tested for extreme weather ?

I think the OP shouldn't of felt anything except toasty in such a coat. Majority of people are walking around in regatta with layers and seem to be fine so how does a reputed Ant/ Arctic garment fall short ?

I'm glad I never dropped £600 on one and have worn a north face with layers and been fine. I've a parka from George which when worn with layers has provided adequate warmth in minus temps.

Sent via smoke signal using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Ive just had a very dissapointing experience with a canada goose wyndham parka, it was a 50th birthday present supposedly comfy to -20 i was walking round manchester in it last weekend with a shirt and wool jumper underneath it was -2 but not really warm i have now sent it back and have no present.
    Has anyone else been similarly underwelmed by canada goose coats ?
    I feel the cold but a shirt, wool jumper and any form of duck / goose down coat should see you right at -2degC. As mentioned, the big Canada Goose coats are rated to very cold conditions.
    Last edited by Progressive; 11th February 2019 at 16:00.

Master
    Maybe mine was faulty the fact it didnt have a draw cord round the bottom i think made a big difference ive also got a mountain equipment lightline jacket that i was selling (not now) and its a lot lighter and warmer

Maybe it is to do with the fact that you tried it in Manchester?

I am sure if you were in, say, Newcastle, then I am led to believe that a short sleeve shirt would be fine to minus 20C.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Maybe it is to do with the fact that you tried it in Manchester?

I am sure if you were in, say, Newcastle, then I am led to believe that a short sleeve shirt would be fine to minus 20C.

What is this shirt of which you speak?
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I sold my Canada goose because it was too warm probably about 7-8 years ago now before everyone started wearing them thankfully. I use use a Fjallraven Yupik parka spent last week wandering around Berlin around -3/4 with just a T-shirt underneath toasty warm and waterproof which I don’t think my Canada goose was although I never tried it in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    I sold my Canada goose because it was too warm probably about 7-8 years ago now before everyone started wearing them thankfully. I use use a Fjallraven Yupik parka spent last week wandering around Berlin around -3/4 with just a T-shirt underneath toasty warm and waterproof which I don’t think my Canada goose was although I never tried it in rain.

Just bought a Fjallraven Yupik myself, it's an excellent coat.
    F.T.F.A.

sure yours wasn’t a fake?
    i have had a chateau parka for about 5 years now and only wear it below 2º or if i know i will be standing around outside all day on a shoot. now i’m very slim with no blubber so feel the cold (not as much as the other half though) but if i wear it in 5º or above and do any walking around i’ll break out in a sweat. i have other coats in wool or down (a thinner RAB one for usual UK temps) that get more use.

i see people wandering around or on the tube wearing them when its getting towards double figures and wonder how they are not drenched? i think a lot may be fakes or they have paid top dollar and want to be seen wearing it so will endure being baked in it for the whole winter.

if i was buying now i would get the ‘dark’ version or maybe buy something else like Fjalraven, not because the CG coats are not up to scratch, they are, i just dont like the chav association.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Just bought a Fjallraven Yupik myself, it's an excellent coat.
    I used it for traveling in, hardly needed a bag it has that many pockets lol I’ve been very pleased with mine perfectly suited to uk winters imo just warm enough without being too warm and I reckon the material will be very long lasting

I like mine, it’s nice and warm. Good for Scandinavian holidays :)

It can get very hot though if I need to get on trains and tubes, when it’s warmer inside and freezing outside, so can be a pain in that sense.
    It's just a matter of time...

I think it also depends on the individual and how he feels different temperatures?
    Eg someone feels hot and another comfortable in same room temp or environment.
    Also its all about layering right .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    What is this shirt of which you speak?
    I am led to believe that it originated as evening attire for the Geordie Gentleman. Traditionally worn on a Friday and Saturday evening to appease the nightclub bouncers who took a dislike to shirtless men arriving in sub-zero conditions. The 'shirt' provides virtually no thermal protection to the wearer, so avoids much of the potential for accusations that the wearer is being 'soft' by wearing it.
    Last edited by Maysie; 11th February 2019 at 19:26.

The only problem with mine is that it's never really cold enough to wear it.

Grand Master
    I didn’t realise they were issued to people outside central London
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I didn’t realise they were issued to people outside central London
    You obviously haven’t frequented the council estates of the north.

Mine does a fine job, even at around -20C (with windchill the 'feels like' temperature can sometimes reach well below that here in Toronto, and this isn't a particularly cold part of Canada). If it's above freezing, I won't wear it as it's too warm.

Craftsman
    I bought one last year, its the short padded jacket style with hood rather than parka but its been fine in all weathers and I wear it most evenings when walking the dog. Last couple of weeks we have been down to -3/4 and always been relatively warm with just a jumper underneath.
    Considering its just a light jacket it wasn't cheap but works as it should.

Sorry to hear this OP.

I’m sure the animals who provided the down and fur for this would rather you hadn’t bothered either.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Sorry to hear this OP.

I’m sure the animals who provided the down and fur for this would rather you hadn’t bothered either.

Sorry to hear this OP.

Amazing that the fur trade is still alive and well in this day and age. I was going to buy a CG garment until a friend alerted me as to how they obtain the fur. A truely disgusting Company.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Thanks for the GIF.

There is no such thing as ethical fur.

Sorry to hear this OP.

I guess many millions of animals have perished due to the watch industry, basically any manufacturing has a massive impact on the environment from mining, employment, shipping and even the financial side.

I’ll refrain from suggesting you take the ultimate vegan sacrifice though.
    (Killing yourself and fertilising the woodland with your remains to go beyond zero environmental impact)

Craftsman
    I needed a new winter coat and looked at these online and quickly closed the tab when I saw the price. I somehow justify spending a large amount on watches but a £500/600 cost is a no from me

Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    I needed a new winter coat and looked at these online and quickly closed the tab when I saw the price. I somehow justify spending a large amount on watches but a £500/600 cost is a no from me
    You get good value for money out of them in colder climates. I agree it's too much money to spend if the coat's going to be worn only a couple of times a year, though.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    You get good value for money out of them in colder climates. I agree it's too much money to spend if the coat's going to be worn only a couple of times a year, though.
    Not sure you get great VFM.

I bought a North Face Serow parka, £450 down to £225 in last years Jan sales. No discount can readily be achieved on CG and you are looking at 3.5 times the price. You’d expect the spec to be better right?

Spec of the North Face parka is superior to the CG. CG uses inferior duck down whereas TNF uses superior goose down. Fill power on CG is 625, whereas my TNF is 700.

CG are very well made jackets in Canada (not China) but the spec is relatively poor for the price point, and better spec jackets can be had for far cheaper spend.

I'll never buy Regatta coats again. All the ones I have have had poor quality stitching that came apart, either the internal lining, pockets, armpits etc. This is with regards to 3 coats. Rubbish quality.

Blog Entries
    I have had an expedition for several years and never cold wearing it and only generally wear a T-shirt under it, the thing is toasty as hell. Been down to -5 with. I problem.

I also have a Hybridge and it is equally as toasty to wear.

Pitch

Chavtastic garments

Avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I guess many millions of animals have perished due to the watch industry, basically any manufacturing has a massive impact on the environment from mining, employment, shipping and even the financial side.

(Killing yourself and fertilising the woodland with your remains to go beyond zero environmental impact)
    Animal numbers declining (not even dying) due to environmental change etc. isn’t the same at all.

I got a woolrich arctic parka from SC from vinny, it’s the warmest jacket I’ve ever owned. First outing in minus conditions I was sweating, I actually took it off in the end. Now I know how to wear it regarding layers, it’s perfect, it’s like going outside wrapped up in your duvet! Absolutely love it and the original arctic parka as seen in the movie the thing. Nice!

Master
    I have a mountain equipment annapurna jacket that I bought over 35 years ago and still wear it in very cold weather. Just a t shirt underneath is fine for cold evenings in alpine ski resorts.
    Thoroughly recommend.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hello

One word, small one, PHD!

Master
    I spend good money on coats as I basically wear them for 6 months a year.

You cant go wrong with RAB down jackets, ive bought them for years and buy a new one every September. The price point is decent 200-300 or slightly higher if you want superior summit jackets.

Canada Goose are good but I just don't like the design at all, look very geography teacher go on the Duke of Edinburgh award.

Craftsman
    I had their top of the line Snow Manta for a few years. Never wore the thing as the weight of it rendered you pretty much immobile.
    Fantastic quality and never doubted it's -50 or -60 rating when stationary. Just totally useless in western Europe.
    Always felt a little underdressed in it without a dozen rabid huskies in front of me. So ended up giving it to a
    genuine Artic expedition leader.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    One word, small one, PHD!
    Private Hire Driver?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Not sure you get great VFM.

I bought a North Face Serow parka, £450 down to £225 in last years Jan sales. No discount can readily be achieved on CG and you are looking at 3.5 times the price. You’d expect the spec to be better right?

Spec of the North Face parka is superior to the CG. CG uses inferior duck down whereas TNF uses superior goose down. Fill power on CG is 625, whereas my TNF is 700.

CG are very well made jackets in Canada (not China) but the spec is relatively poor for the price point, and better spec jackets can be had for far cheaper spend.
    My point was meant to be that buying a coat to wear a couple of times a year vs. many times a year results in the latter being better value. Different coats at different price points will of course represent different value propositions.

Q: Would anyone buy one if it didn't have the badge? They're overkill for the UK but in the end, they're fashionable at the moment so people will buy one to look like everyone else. If you're simply after a warm jacket, get a Rab or Mountain Equipment down jacket or if you would prefer a synthetic insulation, the Patagonia Nano Puff is a cracking jacket. Then buy a decent waterproof shell e.g. Alpkit, Rab, Arcteryx, Mountain Equipment etc. etc. However, if you're looking for something more stylish or fashionable, you are better off choosing something yourself.

I personally wouldn't buy one due to the fur issue, they're not designed for UK weather and the fact that they're a bit chavvy these days.

A friend of mine said exactly the same thing!

He had a RAB coat but bought a CG before Christmas and says it’s awful when he’s walking the dog.

I’ve got a couple of Moncler’s and find them superb! I have a big one for walking and a thinner one for going out.

I’ve also found Tog24 to be very good and they can be had half price at my local outlet 100% of the time.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    Have to say I love mine and only ever wear it with a t-shirt underneath otherwise I get very sweaty and uncomfortably hot!
    Same , would never go out in my CG Langford with a jumper on also. Be sweating your bollocks off.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post

That’s a weak argument founded on a tenuous link. If it wasn’t, you would have expanded and used examples. Instead, you made an assertion in the absence of facts.

Coyotes are killed for their fur to line CG products.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s a weak argument founded on a tenuous link. If it wasn’t, you would have expanded and used examples. Instead, you made an assertion in the absence of facts.

Coyotes are killed for their fur to line CG products.
    What do you think they do to the Alligators to get the leather straps?

Craftsman
    CG is the height of chavs these days as so many fakes around....best to avoid, Woolrich is a nicer alternative if you need such a warm jacket. Overkill for most of southern UK anyway. How people wear them on the tube I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by doubledee View Post
    Q: Would anyone buy one if it didn't have the badge? They're overkill for the UK but in the end, they're fashionable at the moment so people will buy one to look like everyone else. If you're simply after a warm jacket, get a Rab or Mountain Equipment down jacket or if you would prefer a synthetic insulation, the Patagonia Nano Puff is a cracking jacket. Then buy a decent waterproof shell e.g. Alpkit, Rab, Arcteryx, Mountain Equipment etc. etc. However, if you're looking for something more stylish or fashionable, you are better off choosing something yourself.

I personally wouldn't buy one due to the fur issue, they're not designed for UK weather and the fact that they're a bit chavvy these days.

This is exactly why I wouldn't buy one either, I thought we'd seen the back of the fur trade 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    What do you think they do to the Alligators to get the leather straps?
    The issue many have with Canada Goose isn't necessarily that coyotes are killed, it's that they are made to suffer before they are killed as per the worst examples of the fur industry.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    This is exactly why I wouldn't buy one either, I thought we'd seen the back of the fur trade 30 years ago.
    Why are people against fur of an aminal but not the skin of a different animal used in other products.

Atleast the fur has a practical use case and is the best defence against cold. These were practical coats to be used in the harshest environments.

I think people have double standards when it comes to killing animals.